Comments By DaveDiesel

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0971383001577372349-15463.jpg avatar
  • DaveDiesel
  • Comments:

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Part time driving

All,

Thanks for the useful feedback. I have my feelers out and hope to hear something next week. Will keep you posted!

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Part time driving

Hello all,

I'm a diesel mechanic and have my CDL A. My work schedule have opened up the opportunity to pursue a part time driving job and I'm excited about it. Another diesel mechanic in our shop drives part time and loves it. I'm just starting this journey and will keep you posted as things progress.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

We were told at our last safety meeting that a build up of old grease was causing locking issues.

Only 75W-90 gear oil should be used to lubricate 5th wheel jaws during cold weather months. Scraping out built up grease and steam cleaning, if needed, is a very important part of the PM process.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Crazy CDL A Road test!

Great job, Dave Diesel! You earned it!

Thanks!!

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Crazy CDL A Road test!

I'm currently in a 10 speed manual

The truck was a 10 speed. Used gears 4-9 throughout the drive. Downshiffting took some practice. Really had to learn to pay attention to the RPMs. Was required to double clutch for the test but was told most drivers float the gears and use the clutch only to stop/start the truck.

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Crazy CDL A Road test!

Great job! I cant recall, where are you getting your start in the industry?

Thanks! I'm a diesel mechanic at Penske. When the kids are grown, I'm might give flatbed a try.

smile.gif

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Crazy CDL A Road test!

Passed my CDL A test yesterday. Road test was conducted yesterday afternoon.....the Friday before Christmas. The traffic was crazy. Cars were flying around everywhere and I was suprised how tired my leg muscle was getting from using the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic. The test usually takes 45 min but yesterday it took 1:15 mins. Gained a different perspective and respect for professional truck drivers.

Posted:  9 months ago

High Road training program is awesome

dancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif

Awesome! What's next? Are you doing private school or company sponsored? Any idea who you want to drive for or what kind of freight (flatbed, van, reefer)?

Thanks! I'm a diesel mechanic so I'm in and out of trucks and moving trailer daily. I'm looking to use my GI Bill to go to a provide school. Once I get my Class A, I might start doing some hiking for the company I work for in order to improve my skills and log some road time. If I were to stop wrenching, I would want to pull flatbed. Probably TMC for two years, then I'd pursue a heavy haul specialty company.

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

High Road training program is awesome

Hello all,

Passed my Class A permit test today with the help of the High Road program. Awesome training package! Thank you Brett and Truckingtruth.com.

DaveDiesel

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Which High Road sections?

Hello all,

I've had my Class B w/air brake endorsement for the last two years and will be taking my Class A permit test next week. I don't need any additional endorsements, so which High Road sections should I study? Thanks for the help.

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

CDL B - Pre inspection video

Congratulations. That's great news.

Thanks!

The test took 1 hr 45 mins:

- I hr allotted for the pre-inspection

- the remaining time consisted of maneuver testing and road test

All in all the test is intense and proper preparation is a must!

Posted:  1 year, 11 months ago

CDL B - Pre inspection video

Just got my Class B license today. The link to the CDL College video was a helpful study tool for me. Maybe it might help othersYouTube CDL College Video

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Team driving sleep problems

Do you ever watch up feeling dizzy, disoriented, or have a massive head ache? If you do, you know the cause?

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? Some of these symptoms might be caused by lack of oxygen?

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Me and My Big Mouth! (How to start a fight at a terminal)

guy laid into me and let me know that any time he needed some advice from a "super trucker" he would ask for it!

Some people just can't be helped...

Sacrifice

I have to follow my life long dream of being a truck driver

I hear that! My truck driving itch started about 10 years ago.

Sacrifice

RCW,

I see from your profile that you're a diesel mechanic. I've thought about pursuing that career path. If you wouldn't mind, I would be curious you hear your thoughts about the job? You can PM me if you don't want to discuss in the open.

Sacrifice

I was wanting to let the company pay for school just to ensure I can keep supporting my family while training...I do have the money to pay for school but it would be tight if things didn't work out so company sponsored is how I am going.

Understood. Sounds like a good plan.

All the best as you move forward.

Question for veteran drivers or anyone with family

What he said. I'm home every weekend so it's not as bad except for my volunteered runs that are usually 6-8 weeks. We talk at least once a day/night and try to video chat each evening. 12 yr old daughter that I call every night to tell her good night. Don't try to be a dictator from the road, your wife is there everyday and needs your support in decisions she makes at home. When you do get home make sure that you & your family get some quality time together. You can't come in and start complaining about what she has or hasn't done & don't just come in and veg out for your time off.

Sounds like great advice.

Recruiting events

No company I've contacted, or applied with are hiring rookies in my area to do what I want.

Bucket,

Building relationships and gaining first hand knowledge at the event would be a good thing. However, it could be frustrating if you find something you really want but aren't qualified for it.

You might want to think about committing to OTR for your first year in order to open up a ton of options. This course of action is highly recommended by "Old School" and he discusses this topic on several posts. Hope this helps.

Sacrifice

Road call warrior,

If you are interested in flatbed, companies like Maverick and TMC offer regional routes for new drivers. This would get you home most weekends. Check out Dale Clay's YouTube videos for some good information on Maverick.