Comments By DaveDiesel

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0971383001577372349-15463.jpg avatar
  • DaveDiesel
  • 6 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Question for veteran drivers or anyone with family

What he said. I'm home every weekend so it's not as bad except for my volunteered runs that are usually 6-8 weeks. We talk at least once a day/night and try to video chat each evening. 12 yr old daughter that I call every night to tell her good night. Don't try to be a dictator from the road, your wife is there everyday and needs your support in decisions she makes at home. When you do get home make sure that you & your family get some quality time together. You can't come in and start complaining about what she has or hasn't done & don't just come in and veg out for your time off.

Sounds like great advice.

Recruiting events

No company I've contacted, or applied with are hiring rookies in my area to do what I want.

Bucket,

Building relationships and gaining first hand knowledge at the event would be a good thing. However, it could be frustrating if you find something you really want but aren't qualified for it.

You might want to think about committing to OTR for your first year in order to open up a ton of options. This course of action is highly recommended by "Old School" and he discusses this topic on several posts. Hope this helps.

Sacrifice

Road call warrior,

If you are interested in flatbed, companies like Maverick and TMC offer regional routes for new drivers. This would get you home most weekends. Check out Dale Clay's YouTube videos for some good information on Maverick.

Trucking isn't for everyone.. but

After over 3 years of OTR, I finally landed a cushy local job driving double tankers. Home daily, 2-3 days off per week with hourly pay. If you work hard, the sky is the limit!

Daniel,

Congratulations on your new job. You are a great example of hard work and perseverance.

Sacrifice

I can't stress enough how hard this next year will be.

Road call warrior,

Brett's book includes a section on the stress and strain of OTR life on a a family. Hope this helps.

Smith & Soloman School

Except they are not a driving company simply a school. Even though they boast that they will provide job placement (they have various Trucking company recruiters come in ).

If you are interested in attending a private school, it's a good idea to obtain some pre-hire letters before you enroll.

Pre-hire letters article

Freight has been slow my friends

This is an excellent outlook to keep in mind!

The bottom line is, it doesn't matter what you make week to week, what matters is your W-2's at the end of the year.

Some drivers can't see the forest for the trees, so they get a bad attitude, and get testy with dispatch or their DM , and in effect shoot themselves in the foot.

If a driver comes into the industry barely scraping by, it can be tough that first year to keep their focus on the big picture. Once they get enough experience to start getting paychecks over a grand a week, it's a lot easier to see the forest, and not cut their nose off to spite their face.

It's very similar to someone who starts a new business. Most new companies do not make a profit their first 5 years. So what type mentality does the owner need to have, to make it through those first 5 years?

IMO, a driver cannot really size up a company, until they get those W-2's. It's best not to sweat the small stuff, because it can be really detrimental to a drivers attitude, and how they interact with others.

Dutch,

Great perspective. Thanks.

Career choices

I have a 2015 Peterbuilt 579 sitting wsiting for me. I already did the prelimary stuff and I start on the 22nd. My wife and I are very excited. Oh and I will be home every wed night and weekend.

Congratulations PJ!

It's good to see your hard work has paid off for you.

How is the weather where you are?

I made the decision to get my happy a.s.s. off the road and live to drive another day.

Sounds like a smart decision!

Starting new career with girlfriend

decided that while I want to drive now is not the time. In a few years when the kids are out of the house and she gets tired of retail off on the road we go b

Yep.....Timing and necessity are huge factors in the decision-making process.

From Military To Trucking

Here's my situation: I'm 21 and was recently "seperated" from the military with an Honorable Discharge.

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for your service! What was your job in the Army? Are you using the GI Bill to pay for CDL school? Any idea what kind of freight you want to pull: flatbed, dry van, reefer?

Preparing to Leave for CDL Training!

It's been a looooong wait & the day is finally here.

I know I've come into this conversation late but good luck and enjoy!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

Emotions. They suck!!!!

There ain't nothing like driving through a sunrise. Watching the scenery change though the day is better than watching TV. You will see more of the USA, in all the seasons, from your driver seat than the average person will ever experience.

Looking forward to this👍

dancing.gif

Maverick Transportation

And you would be amazed at how much money that man has made in referrals doing those videos. Well deserved as he does an amazing job. Let's just say over 20k in a year

WOW!

Truckers doing good things

Trucker saves man from burning car

Always good to see positive news coverage!

Maverick Transportation

Yes I've seen quite a few of his videos, very informative. Its faster to get direct answers here however. I only have 3 weeks of school left and hopefully I've chosen a good starting point.

Sounds good. Best of luck

Maverick Transportation

I've pretty much decided to go with maverick at this point. How hard was the physical to pass with the weights and all? Also, I plan on starting with flatbed Atlantic regional , and possibly transferring to glass later. Can I do that? Also, how's the insurance there and who's it through? I have lots of questions if you couldn't tell lol

C.T,

Check out Dale Clay's YouTube videos about his Maverick experiences. He has documented over a year's worth of videos describing orientation, securement training, and life on the road. He is retired Air Force.

Dave

Driver shortage article

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've posted here. I hope everyone doing well. I saw this article in Overdrive Magazine and wanted to share it.

Overdrive Magazine article

Stay safe, Dave

I got a truck!!!!!

I wasnt nervous about going solo until now it just sank in lol its gonna be an adventure

Very exciting!

good-luck.gif

Career Change Forthcoming

But I know this: I am ready for this change. I've been contemplating it for years and been dreading going to work for just as long. I need this change and am willing to do what I must to make it work.

Welcome to the forum Ryan!

Keep researching and asking questions. Take the time to find the situation that works best for you and the family.

Good luck with your plan