Profile For DaveDiesel

DaveDiesel's Info

Mechanicsburg, PA

Considering A Career

5 years, 8 months ago

DaveDiesel's Bio

I'm a Diesel mechanic for Penske and have a CDL Class A license.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Contemplating a Career Change

I was told by a Roehl recruiter that inexperienced drivers aren't eligible to apply for the HomeTime Plus fleet which offers 7/7, 7/4, and 7/3 options

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Contemplating a Career Change

i dont have kids..if i did.. i wouldnt be here. think long and hard. this is not a romantic "saving the universe, dad is a military guy keeping the country safe"... this is a "dad is hauling food, tires, Nike sneakers while he eats alone and misses our life" job.

Very well said!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Hearing test

Would it be worth my applying for the hearing exemption?

The hearing test was included in both my DOT physicals . Maybe a hearing aid would be the way to go?

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Part time driving

All,

Thanks for the useful feedback. I have my feelers out and hope to hear something next week. Will keep you posted!

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Part time driving

Hello all,

I'm a diesel mechanic and have my CDL A. My work schedule have opened up the opportunity to pursue a part time driving job and I'm excited about it. Another diesel mechanic in our shop drives part time and loves it. I'm just starting this journey and will keep you posted as things progress.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

We were told at our last safety meeting that a build up of old grease was causing locking issues.

Only 75W-90 gear oil should be used to lubricate 5th wheel jaws during cold weather months. Scraping out built up grease and steam cleaning, if needed, is a very important part of the PM process.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Crazy CDL A Road test!

Great job, Dave Diesel! You earned it!

Thanks!!

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Crazy CDL A Road test!

I'm currently in a 10 speed manual

The truck was a 10 speed. Used gears 4-9 throughout the drive. Downshiffting took some practice. Really had to learn to pay attention to the RPMs. Was required to double clutch for the test but was told most drivers float the gears and use the clutch only to stop/start the truck.

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Crazy CDL A Road test!

Great job! I cant recall, where are you getting your start in the industry?

Thanks! I'm a diesel mechanic at Penske. When the kids are grown, I'm might give flatbed a try.

smile.gif

Posted:  4 weeks, 1 day ago

Crazy CDL A Road test!

Passed my CDL A test yesterday. Road test was conducted yesterday afternoon.....the Friday before Christmas. The traffic was crazy. Cars were flying around everywhere and I was suprised how tired my leg muscle was getting from using the clutch in bumper to bumper traffic. The test usually takes 45 min but yesterday it took 1:15 mins. Gained a different perspective and respect for professional truck drivers.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

High Road training program is awesome

dancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif

Awesome! What's next? Are you doing private school or company sponsored? Any idea who you want to drive for or what kind of freight (flatbed, van, reefer)?

Thanks! I'm a diesel mechanic so I'm in and out of trucks and moving trailer daily. I'm looking to use my GI Bill to go to a provide school. Once I get my Class A, I might start doing some hiking for the company I work for in order to improve my skills and log some road time. If I were to stop wrenching, I would want to pull flatbed. Probably TMC for two years, then I'd pursue a heavy haul specialty company.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

High Road training program is awesome

Hello all,

Passed my Class A permit test today with the help of the High Road program. Awesome training package! Thank you Brett and Truckingtruth.com.

DaveDiesel

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

Which High Road sections?

Hello all,

I've had my Class B w/air brake endorsement for the last two years and will be taking my Class A permit test next week. I don't need any additional endorsements, so which High Road sections should I study? Thanks for the help.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

CDL B - Pre inspection video

Congratulations. That's great news.

Thanks!

The test took 1 hr 45 mins:

- I hr allotted for the pre-inspection

- the remaining time consisted of maneuver testing and road test

All in all the test is intense and proper preparation is a must!

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

CDL B - Pre inspection video

Just got my Class B license today. The link to the CDL College video was a helpful study tool for me. Maybe it might help othersYouTube CDL College Video

Team driving sleep problems

Do you ever watch up feeling dizzy, disoriented, or have a massive head ache? If you do, you know the cause?

Have you been tested for sleep apnea? Some of these symptoms might be caused by lack of oxygen?

Me and My Big Mouth! (How to start a fight at a terminal)

guy laid into me and let me know that any time he needed some advice from a "super trucker" he would ask for it!

Some people just can't be helped...

Sacrifice

I have to follow my life long dream of being a truck driver

I hear that! My truck driving itch started about 10 years ago.

Sacrifice

RCW,

I see from your profile that you're a diesel mechanic. I've thought about pursuing that career path. If you wouldn't mind, I would be curious you hear your thoughts about the job? You can PM me if you don't want to discuss in the open.

Sacrifice

I was wanting to let the company pay for school just to ensure I can keep supporting my family while training...I do have the money to pay for school but it would be tight if things didn't work out so company sponsored is how I am going.

Understood. Sounds like a good plan.

All the best as you move forward.