Profile For DaveDiesel

DaveDiesel's Info

Mechanicsburg, PA

Considering A Career

6 years, 2 months ago

DaveDiesel's Bio

I'm a Diesel mechanic for Penske and have a CDL Class A license.

Posted:  2 days, 22 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Sorry, but I do not. I'd never even heard of them until you brought them up in your your other thread.

No problem. Thanks for the response. I hadn't heard of them until a few days ago, but spoke with a recruiter and had an interview with a Fleet Manger. I was very impressed, and I have a decision to make.

Posted:  2 days, 22 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

I did very well at Prime, because I put forth the effort. I'm confident I would have done equally well at TMC.

Turtle,

Do you have any thoughts on PGT trucking? Thanks.

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

PGT trucking - Any input?

Hello all,

Just had a great conversation with a PGT recruiter. I don't no much about the company but I'm interested in anyone who has knowledge of their flatbed division. Thanks.

Posted:  4 days, 23 hours ago

Is it still worth it to become a diesel mechanic?

Jake,

Diesel mechanics can be a great trade and applies to a broad range of industries. It's a stable job and you can live almost anywhere. I've continued working throughout COVID. I'm currently a diesel mechanic transitioning into trucking. I'm a little older and the job can be very rough on the body, I've had an interest in trucking for awhile and have my CDL A so I decided to go for it. I went to a community college for my diesel training and I think it's the way to go. The programs are cost effective and connected with community employers. Less expensive programs= more money for tools. Regardless of where you get trained, the real leaning happens on the job so try to get into a shop as quick as you can. To answer your question, is it still worth it? I think so. It's never a bad idea to learn a trade. Even if you leave the field for a different opportunity, you can always fall back on it. Hope this helps.

Posted:  6 days, 14 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

There may not necessarily be more home time at TMC when you consider you're only home long enough for a 34 each weekend, vs Prime where you'll be home 4 - 5 days in a row once a month.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about home time that way. TMC recruiter advertised average home time between 48 and 52 hrs, but I think I'd rather be home longer than more often....maybe??

I think staying out for longer duration's as a rookie might help build proficiency and a better foundation than being home every weekend??

Maybe look for more home time options after the first year?

Thoughts?

Posted:  6 days, 15 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

That's a decision only you can make. Either company is top notch, especially on the flatbed side. Both run the same type of freight, often picking up from or delivering to the same customers.

Prime:

I like the fact that Prime's orientation is 3-4 days, then out with a trainer for 50K miles. I learn by doing and I think this type of training would suit me.

Pros: shorter orientation and more on the job training.

Pros: different freight divisions available in case my body has had enough of flatbed

cons: less home time

TMC:

TMC's orientation is 12 days, then 5 weeks with a trainer. I've heard their flatbed training is top.

Pros: specialized flatbed training from multiple instructors during orientation

Pros: more home time

Cons: No other freight divisions

Thoughts? Thanks for the help

Posted:  6 days, 17 hours ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Hello all,

I just got off the Phone with Prime. I really like how their flatbed training package sounds. I've been accepted by TMC but prime's training plan is appealing to me.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Heading to TMC

Congrats!!! dancing-banana.gif

Thanks!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Heading to TMC

Congratulations. I had a friend that worked there and he really liked it.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Heading to TMC

Hello all,

I'm headed to TMC orientation (Iowa) in mid July. Really looking forward to it. Will try to provide updates when possible.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Covid and Trucking

From the cb conversation I overheard it sounded like they are very busy.

dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Covid and Trucking

There's no downside to starting now. Opportunity in trucking is almost always there.

Thanks for the guidance Old School! I’ve wanted to give flatbed a shot for awhile and finally have the opportunity. The recruiter emailed me asking when I wanted to get started. I’m excited, nervous, and need to pick a start date.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Covid and Trucking

Mike, the first six months of 2020 have been my busiest ever. I'm making more money driving a truck during this "pandemic" than I've ever made as a driver.

Good to know Old School. I got recently got accepted to TMC and I’m thinking about my start date. With COVID cases increasing daily and a possible “spike” in the fall, should I be concerned about not having the opportunity for miles/money?

Should I start now or wait?

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Officially Going Solo Tomorrow. It's Been a Long Journey.

2: I sometimes forget which way I need to turn the wheel to make my trailer respond. I know it's opposite (I turn my wheel left to make the trailer go right) but in the mirror I get stuck and panic a little.

I move my elbow in the direction I want the trailer to go and pull the wheel with the opposite hand. It simplifies things for me.

Posted:  6 months ago

Contemplating a Career Change

I was told by a Roehl recruiter that inexperienced drivers aren't eligible to apply for the HomeTime Plus fleet which offers 7/7, 7/4, and 7/3 options

Posted:  6 months ago

Contemplating a Career Change

i dont have kids..if i did.. i wouldnt be here. think long and hard. this is not a romantic "saving the universe, dad is a military guy keeping the country safe"... this is a "dad is hauling food, tires, Nike sneakers while he eats alone and misses our life" job.

Very well said!

Posted:  6 months ago

Hearing test

Would it be worth my applying for the hearing exemption?

The hearing test was included in both my DOT physicals . Maybe a hearing aid would be the way to go?

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Part time driving

All,

Thanks for the useful feedback. I have my feelers out and hope to hear something next week. Will keep you posted!

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Part time driving

Hello all,

I'm a diesel mechanic and have my CDL A. My work schedule have opened up the opportunity to pursue a part time driving job and I'm excited about it. Another diesel mechanic in our shop drives part time and loves it. I'm just starting this journey and will keep you posted as things progress.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Rookie Solo Adventure, thoughts, questions, vent, and ramble.

We were told at our last safety meeting that a build up of old grease was causing locking issues.

Only 75W-90 gear oil should be used to lubricate 5th wheel jaws during cold weather months. Scraping out built up grease and steam cleaning, if needed, is a very important part of the PM process.