Profile For DaveDiesel

DaveDiesel's Info

Mechanicsburg, PA

Rookie Solo Driver

7 years ago

DaveDiesel's Bio

I'm a northeast regional flatbed driver.

Posted:  4 months ago

How to contact a member

Instant Message capability was removed a few years ago on here.

Why was instant messaging removed?

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

I Think It's Time to Move On

I'm exhausted and it's not the work, it's the lack there of. I don't move for 12-14 hours a day so I'm not using any energy and then I have trouble sleeping because I'm not tired. I'm also gaining weight at a rate that I feel isn't healthy. In the last 7 months I've gained 30-40 pounds.

Switch to regional flatbeddingsmile.gif

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Can I remove the manual transmission restriction on my CDL

This is merely the process of removing a restriction from your current CDL. I can't see a learner's permit being required for that.

The only time a learners permit would be required is if you are going from a class B to a class A.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Can CBD pop positive?

Wanted to let everyone know that I am officially hired on with Swift.

Congrats! Good luck.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Can I remove the manual transmission restriction on my CDL

Can I retake road test only in a manual to get restriction removed.

In order to get the restriction removed, you will need to pass the pre-trip inspection and road test.

I went through this process in Pennsylvania.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Question for my fellow LTLers or anyone really

Are you guys insanely busy like we are?

Yep. I usually run flatbeds but was put on an account pulling dry vans for 8 weeks, 7 days a week. I've been running on recaps for the last three weeks. Today is my first reset in a month.

Blessed to be working!!

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Is Western Express a good place for a rookie?

Got everything squared away with the recruiter, I leave on the 14th for orientation. Decided to do dry van s

That's great news! Congrats.

I think pulling drive vans, in the beginning, is a good idea. It allows you to really focus on driving skills and getting comfortable behind the wheel.

Stay motivated!

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

How important is 2 week notice in the industry?

If I come out of home time and say I would like to turn my truck in will this negatively affect future employment? Or maybe I can give 1 week notice instead of 2 weeks?

I think your future company would respect you for wanted to provide 2 weeks notice. I'd be surprised if they didn't support it by adjusting your timeline. In the back of their minds, they hope you would show them the same courtesy if you leave.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Is Western Express a good place for a rookie?

What are you're thoughts on this, am I making the right move by going to them?

Any of the large carriers present a great opportunity as long as you are committed to being successful through hard work and determination.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Rookie Advice - Working Out Flatbed Training

What workouts do you guys do to strengthen your body to handle the physical requirements of flatbed trucking?

Hello Cameron, it's good you're thinking about physical preparation because flatbedding can be tough on the body, especially in the beginning while you're learning.

I would work on flexibility and core strength exercises similar to cross-fit type workouts.

I love flatbedding. It's not for everyone. You should know within the first few months if it's the type freight you want to haul.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

First Solo week in the books

Congrats!!! What company are you with??

Thanks! I drive for PGT Trucking.

Posted:  8 months, 3 weeks ago

First Solo week in the books

Hello all, Last week i completed my first Solo week as a flatbed driver. What a Challenge!! Heading out tomorrow morning for week 2. If anyone has any questions about orientation, training, etc, please let me know. This website is a great resource and I want to give back any way I can. Be safe.

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

PGT Trucking Orientation

Best of luck to you.

Thanks!

Posted:  9 months, 3 weeks ago

PGT Trucking Orientation

Hello all,

I just completed orientation with PGT and will be heading out with a trainer in a few day. If anyone has any questions about the hiring process and orientation I'll try to answer them.

Posted:  10 months ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

PGT Trucking conducts both tests during the hiring process.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Sorry, but I do not. I'd never even heard of them until you brought them up in your your other thread.

No problem. Thanks for the response. I hadn't heard of them until a few days ago, but spoke with a recruiter and had an interview with a Fleet Manger. I was very impressed, and I have a decision to make.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Flatbed with Prime?

I did very well at Prime, because I put forth the effort. I'm confident I would have done equally well at TMC.

Turtle,

Do you have any thoughts on PGT trucking? Thanks.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

PGT trucking - Any input?

Hello all,

Just had a great conversation with a PGT recruiter. I don't no much about the company but I'm interested in anyone who has knowledge of their flatbed division. Thanks.

Posted:  10 months, 1 week ago

Is it still worth it to become a diesel mechanic?

Jake,

Diesel mechanics can be a great trade and applies to a broad range of industries. It's a stable job and you can live almost anywhere. I've continued working throughout COVID. I'm currently a diesel mechanic transitioning into trucking. I'm a little older and the job can be very rough on the body, I've had an interest in trucking for awhile and have my CDL A so I decided to go for it. I went to a community college for my diesel training and I think it's the way to go. The programs are cost effective and connected with community employers. Less expensive programs= more money for tools. Regardless of where you get trained, the real leaning happens on the job so try to get into a shop as quick as you can. To answer your question, is it still worth it? I think so. It's never a bad idea to learn a trade. Even if you leave the field for a different opportunity, you can always fall back on it. Hope this helps.

Posted:  10 months, 2 weeks ago

Flatbed with Prime?

There may not necessarily be more home time at TMC when you consider you're only home long enough for a 34 each weekend, vs Prime where you'll be home 4 - 5 days in a row once a month.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about home time that way. TMC recruiter advertised average home time between 48 and 52 hrs, but I think I'd rather be home longer than more often....maybe??

I think staying out for longer duration's as a rookie might help build proficiency and a better foundation than being home every weekend??

Maybe look for more home time options after the first year?

Thoughts?