Profile For DaveDiesel

DaveDiesel's Info

Mechanicsburg, PA

Rookie Solo Driver

6 years, 7 months ago

DaveDiesel's Bio

I'm a northeast regional flatbed driver.

Posted:  2 days, 11 hours ago

Rookie Advice - Working Out Flatbed Training

What workouts do you guys do to strengthen your body to handle the physical requirements of flatbed trucking?

Hello Cameron, it's good you're thinking about physical preparation because flatbedding can be tough on the body, especially in the beginning while you're learning.

I would work on flexibility and core strength exercises similar to cross-fit type workouts.

I love flatbedding. It's not for everyone. You should know within the first few months if it's the type freight you want to haul.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

First Solo week in the books

Congrats!!! What company are you with??

Thanks! I drive for PGT Trucking.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

First Solo week in the books

Hello all, Last week i completed my first Solo week as a flatbed driver. What a Challenge!! Heading out tomorrow morning for week 2. If anyone has any questions about orientation, training, etc, please let me know. This website is a great resource and I want to give back any way I can. Be safe.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

PGT Trucking Orientation

Best of luck to you.

Thanks!

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

PGT Trucking Orientation

Hello all,

I just completed orientation with PGT and will be heading out with a trainer in a few day. If anyone has any questions about the hiring process and orientation I'll try to answer them.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

DOT Drug Testing: Urinalysis or Hair Follicle?

PGT Trucking conducts both tests during the hiring process.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Sorry, but I do not. I'd never even heard of them until you brought them up in your your other thread.

No problem. Thanks for the response. I hadn't heard of them until a few days ago, but spoke with a recruiter and had an interview with a Fleet Manger. I was very impressed, and I have a decision to make.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed with Prime?

I did very well at Prime, because I put forth the effort. I'm confident I would have done equally well at TMC.

Turtle,

Do you have any thoughts on PGT trucking? Thanks.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

PGT trucking - Any input?

Hello all,

Just had a great conversation with a PGT recruiter. I don't no much about the company but I'm interested in anyone who has knowledge of their flatbed division. Thanks.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Is it still worth it to become a diesel mechanic?

Jake,

Diesel mechanics can be a great trade and applies to a broad range of industries. It's a stable job and you can live almost anywhere. I've continued working throughout COVID. I'm currently a diesel mechanic transitioning into trucking. I'm a little older and the job can be very rough on the body, I've had an interest in trucking for awhile and have my CDL A so I decided to go for it. I went to a community college for my diesel training and I think it's the way to go. The programs are cost effective and connected with community employers. Less expensive programs= more money for tools. Regardless of where you get trained, the real leaning happens on the job so try to get into a shop as quick as you can. To answer your question, is it still worth it? I think so. It's never a bad idea to learn a trade. Even if you leave the field for a different opportunity, you can always fall back on it. Hope this helps.

Posted:  5 months ago

Flatbed with Prime?

There may not necessarily be more home time at TMC when you consider you're only home long enough for a 34 each weekend, vs Prime where you'll be home 4 - 5 days in a row once a month.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about home time that way. TMC recruiter advertised average home time between 48 and 52 hrs, but I think I'd rather be home longer than more often....maybe??

I think staying out for longer duration's as a rookie might help build proficiency and a better foundation than being home every weekend??

Maybe look for more home time options after the first year?

Thoughts?

Posted:  5 months ago

Flatbed with Prime?

That's a decision only you can make. Either company is top notch, especially on the flatbed side. Both run the same type of freight, often picking up from or delivering to the same customers.

Prime:

I like the fact that Prime's orientation is 3-4 days, then out with a trainer for 50K miles. I learn by doing and I think this type of training would suit me.

Pros: shorter orientation and more on the job training.

Pros: different freight divisions available in case my body has had enough of flatbed

cons: less home time

TMC:

TMC's orientation is 12 days, then 5 weeks with a trainer. I've heard their flatbed training is top.

Pros: specialized flatbed training from multiple instructors during orientation

Pros: more home time

Cons: No other freight divisions

Thoughts? Thanks for the help

Posted:  5 months ago

Flatbed with Prime?

Hello all,

I just got off the Phone with Prime. I really like how their flatbed training package sounds. I've been accepted by TMC but prime's training plan is appealing to me.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Posted:  5 months ago

Heading to TMC

Congrats!!! dancing-banana.gif

Thanks!

Posted:  5 months ago

Heading to TMC

Congratulations. I had a friend that worked there and he really liked it.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to it.

Posted:  5 months ago

Heading to TMC

Hello all,

I'm headed to TMC orientation (Iowa) in mid July. Really looking forward to it. Will try to provide updates when possible.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Covid and Trucking

From the cb conversation I overheard it sounded like they are very busy.

dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Covid and Trucking

There's no downside to starting now. Opportunity in trucking is almost always there.

Thanks for the guidance Old School! I’ve wanted to give flatbed a shot for awhile and finally have the opportunity. The recruiter emailed me asking when I wanted to get started. I’m excited, nervous, and need to pick a start date.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Covid and Trucking

Mike, the first six months of 2020 have been my busiest ever. I'm making more money driving a truck during this "pandemic" than I've ever made as a driver.

Good to know Old School. I got recently got accepted to TMC and I’m thinking about my start date. With COVID cases increasing daily and a possible “spike” in the fall, should I be concerned about not having the opportunity for miles/money?

Should I start now or wait?

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Officially Going Solo Tomorrow. It's Been a Long Journey.

2: I sometimes forget which way I need to turn the wheel to make my trailer respond. I know it's opposite (I turn my wheel left to make the trailer go right) but in the mirror I get stuck and panic a little.

I move my elbow in the direction I want the trailer to go and pull the wheel with the opposite hand. It simplifies things for me.