Comments By Trucktographer

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/seanusmcfl/Picture_edited.jpg avatar

Ghetto shut down locations

Isn't there a Swift terminal in Fresno?

Just north of it near Modesto. Hence why I was ****ed that they wouldn't let me T-Call and head towards my home time. But I was dealing with the weekend crew outside of my home terminal area. Notoriously lazy and petty is the best way to describe them.

Ghetto shut down locations

The shadiest place I've ever stopped was in Fresno, CA. The Fifth Wheel is technically a truck stop. But they are really stretching the definition.

I was stuck there for two nights cause the receiver wouldn't take me, and Swift wouldn't let me T-Call it. Which in turn caused me to miss my home time date, which sucked since I had plans that had required reservations and money put down.

Moral of the story...don't park at the Fifth Wheel in Fresno.

Swift Reefer vs Dry Van. Opinions please

When I drove for Swift I generally dealt with dry van, but every once in a while they'd throw a reefer on me. And in my experience, reefer was really annoying. You'd often have multiple stops in one trailer, and multiple temp zones within that trailer, so getting unloaded means digging through layers of product since stop #1 could have stuff in zones A, B, and C. Have fun with that. I'll stick with dry van.

Cabbage patch

I just drove Cabbage this morning for the first time, and Donner last week, and in my opinion both are overrated. I've had more butterflies from some of the Eastern mountain ranges.

However I will say that maybe they were more difficult back in the days before our rather awesome, and effective, engine retarders. I did both Donner and Cabbage in the dark for my first time and they were each a cake walk.

Hazardous materials truck off duty parking

Hazmat parking

There is something about not parking on private property without notifying the owner, I'm not sure it this applies to you or not but the motel parking lot is private property. Communicate the Risk etc.

Phil

That part applies to 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3

Hazardous materials truck off duty parking

Basically in a parking lot you're fine.

Hazardous materials truck off duty parking

(b) A motor vehicle which contains hazardous materials other than Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 materials must not be parked on or within five feet of the traveled portion of public street or highway except for brief periods when the necessities of operation require the vehicle to be parked and make it impracticable to park the vehicle in any other place.

Scenic Drives

Thanks. Eventually I want to get out of the trucking game and focus on my photography.

Scenic Drives

9CB2D8ED-8801-4525-9B9E-8EFA1C9FF39E_zps

Scenic Drives

As I was leaving the TA at exit 99 on I-80 in Utah I just had to pull over at the rest area to get a shot of the Bonneville Salt Flats. I was mad I had left my camera gear at home, so this is only a cell phone pic.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/seanusmcfl/media/9CB2D8ED-8801-4525-9B9E-8EFA1C9FF39E_zpsg8phzeak.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/seanusmcfl/9CB2D8ED-8801-4525-9B9E-8EFA1C9FF39E_zpsg8phzeak.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Black Ice

Trucktographer- I seem to recall you had a higher paying job running loads (maybe dept of defense), with a special clearance. Just wondering how that's going? Wondering if it is real good pay with consistent work?

Really don't want to hijack this thread.

Yep, still with that company Secured Land Transport (SLT). Right now they have me running around solo doing broker loads while my co-driver is having some medical issues.

But yeah, normally I run 90% DoD loads with the rest civilian HAZMAT.

Black Ice

Driving I-80 across WY today I saw several trucks off the road. One had literally just happened before I created a hill. The drivers were just crawling out of the cab...it was on its side so they probably had a great view of the Continental Divide.

Short solo stint

My co-driver recently came down with some medical issues, and so while he's taking care of that I'm going solo. Luckily our company has been good about both getting him home, and me back on the road. This company pretty much hauls team loads exclusively. DoD loads require two drivers at all times (so someone is always able to be with the truck).

I haven't had to think about stuff like conserving hours and finding a place to stop for the night in forever, since we are constantly moving.

First few trips I'm having to cram 1800 miles of driving into 61 hours for final delivery. Good times.

Favorite YouTube trucker

I like Jerry Ott.

Hazmat

If after getting your HAZMAT endorsement you then go apply for a TWIC card, you can get a discount on the cost of your TWIC card.

Officially Solo :)

Cramping in the feet can often be a sign of slight dehydration. Try upping your water intake.

Hazmat

Fun fact: after getting your HAZMAT endorsement, if you then apply for a TWIC card you get a discount.

Hazmat

I got my HAZMAT endorsement about a week and a half after applying. Didn't use it while with Swift, but my new company is almost exclusively HAZMAT. The test is only the beginning. Keep studying the rules/regulations. So many things to remember.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

BOL Company still say I do not need one

Back when I drove for Swift I would occasionally have loads with no paper BoL. This particular company did everything digitally with Swift. So I would write up my own BoL (using the appropriate info) to have on the truck just in case DoT ever felt the need to stop me. Cover yourself at all times.

Posted:  7 years, 1 month ago

Moved on from Swift

Thanks for the vote of confidence Errol. We aren't planning to get our own rig for a while. We want to learn as much as possible about this company, and running an efficient rig, before taking on all that responsibility. We picked up a snazzy tablet Rand McNally and are using it to help track our fuel efficiency over the next year or so.

As company drivers we are paid a flat rate, 1200.00 a week (after taxes), with a small cpm as a mileage bonus which should average out to 1500.00 each week (after taxes). A perfectly respectable wage for running stuff not everyone wants to deal with.