Comments By Cleft_Asunder

https://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa158/Cleft_Asunder/VZ-24_6_zps29e3a443.jpg avatar

GPS alternatives.

Oh yeah, and I was wondering if you guys prefer the 5 inch or 7 inch screen, and if you know of any sales/deal on the RM 530 or 730 in case I pick one up.

GPS alternatives.

So I'm trying to avoid paying for something I don't need like a Rand Mcnally GPS. How useful is this thing for you guys? I normally use the paper map and call the consignee for directions. (because our quallcomm directions suck) What I need most of all are GPS maps to get to the shipper/consignee so that I know which lane to be in and how far they are from the main routes. Is a smartphone a better investment?

May Trucking Company,Brooks,Or

I am with them right now, went solo last friday. Their idle policy is 10% in winter, 40% in summer, and there are exceptions. There are no apu's but they do have bunk heaters for winter time. Gordon has apu's so if that's important I would go with them but they require 3 months previous experience. May trucks are mostly newer and maintained well and have windows in the back. If you want an inverter its 225 from them, and they can take out 25 dollars each friday to pay for it, or you can get a used one from a driver.

The employees tell me that if you request home time you get home time unlike many other companies. It's 1 day for every 7 you're out. They seem to be a good company but they are governed at 61mph on cruise control, 58 on peddle, and 1500 rpm on tach. It's kinda a good thing though for new drivers and you really don't gain any more torque or speed after 1500rpm on the cummins. (it just feels like you're burning extra fuel) They run 13 speed eatons which is a plus.

Working hours to get most miles

Any one have some advice on if it's better to run hard n take a 34re set or only drive so many hours a day?

Ultimately that depends on how long you want to stay out here and if you want to sit or keep it moving. I drive 8 1/2 to 9 hrs a day so I can roll for 4 weeks straight and not have to sit around. I hate sitting.

So if you get less than 70 hours per week, you can skip the 34 hour break? Does the '70 hours avaiable' start over each week?

Can I fit this suitcase?

I remember seeing storage space under the lower bunk bed on some trucks. Any way, I went for RedGator's suggestions and now I've got a smaller suitcase. I'll buy some bungee's if I feel the need.

Finally made a choice

Exactly on point Old School. I only stayed with my first company 7 months before switching, but it was what I felt I needed and could handle. Not the companies fault. I made the move and have done very well for myself. The advice you laid out is how I live my life and in just under 3 months proven myself once again and enjoying the rewards of that in my relationships with the company and customers. In my opinion the most important thing I see go wrong is drivers want to jump on the "the company is screwing me" band wagon when things dont go perfect. First off you have to understand the volume in this business is horrific. Things are gonna go wrong, but its the nature of the business, not anyone with a conspiracy plan. Roll with it the best you can. I have found it all evens out by itself soon enough. Here is a quick example what I mean: I got a load to the northeast from the south. It paid well. Then I got a crappy load. I did the load where most would not have. I was then given a great load that paid through the roof. I was told I had to dead head 350 miles back out for my next. Keep in mind I do not get paid empty miles in my situation. I wasn't too thrilled, but I kept the faith when my dispatcher told me it would balance out. I did it and now have pulled an ok load, and just got a preplan taking me through the weekend. All in all I will make 2 consecutive weeks with awesome paychecks. Dispatchers and planners have a tough job that I would not do for anything. The more dependable and reliable you are and willing to work with them instead of against them makes everyone's life a little easier. I don't care who you are, no one likes problems. Just my opinion.

What do you mean by crappy loads? Are you getting payed CPM?

Total rookie mistake!

What stinks is when you can't open them without pulling all the way out, and you can't pull straight out because there's trailers, trucks, or a wall on the opposite side of you!

How does the cargo stay in with the doors open? Never looked inside before.

Total rookie mistake!

At least you didn't uncouple without taking the glad hands off.

Can I fit this suitcase?

Thanks, I'll keep it minimal.

Today is my 4th day of Orientation.

This makes me less nervous about May Trucking orientation because I thought I would have to know mostly everything regarding skills and shifting.

Can I fit this suitcase?

I'm required to buy an atlas before orientation and I would like a good trucking atlas. Does walmart sell them? Also, I was going to bring a large suitcase and a carry-on bag, but I was told that there is very limited space in the trucks. It measures 3' x 2' x 1'.

Thanks.

Sorry I'm slow...I do have a life...and alot of the ladies here are drivers and don't get online all the time. But...to answer your question: No firearms are allowed per FEDERAL LAW....and if that ever changes, trucking companies won't allow them because of the liability issue. That being said...you can carry a stun gun ( do you want someone that close?), pepper spray, ( a little better), a walking stick ( my personal favorite), a tire thumper, or even a can of 20 foot wasp spray....BUT its more about how you carry yourself....Walk like you own the truck stop, don't go in dark areas, NEVER let anyone talk you into going into areas that are not readily seen by others....and never get into a truck you don't know the driver...

This is what came up when I did some research.

The Department of Transportation’s official response to CDL’s carrying concealed is clear enough. “Carrying concealed weapons is a matter of state law. Your question can best be answered by the appropriate state government.”

There are two ways to see that. It is either crystal clear that they don’t care, or they’re passing the proverbial buck. Either way, it’s not their concern.

I drove only 30' trailers.

Robert, for most company orientation and training programs you will not even be road tested until after your time with your trainer. So you should get around four weeks of practice with the proper trailers before you are ever going to be tested. That's plenty of time to get the "feel" for a real trailer.

I think it might be different for May Trucking. They test you on orientation day with a short drive to see if you can shift, and also skills tests. Prime does the same thing, but it's on a simulation rather than an actual truck.

I drove only 30' trailers.

There will definitely be an adjustment period. But remember that the shorter the trailer the harder to back it up, shorter trailers respond very quickly and as soon as you oversteer there's hardly any chance of you recoving without doing a pull-up.

A 53' trailer is a lot longer but its much more forgiving than a shorter trailer.

I think you should be fine. If you were good at backing a 30' trailer then you should be able to back a 53' trailer. Just take it slow and remember to consider that a 53' trailer has a lot of extra trailer beyond the trailer tandems. This acts like a tail and can whip across your lines. So when backing it up make sure you keep in mind the very back of the trailer to ensure it won't cross the lines.

My instructors said the same thing, that if you can back up the smaller trailers you can back up the 53 footers for sure, so thanks for confirming.

I drove only 30' trailers.

During CDL school I drove kenworth's that were more for construction duty with 30 foot trailers. They were very sensitive to oversteering. I never drove an OTR truck with a 53', so am I going to have a tough time passing my orientation? (Off-sets, alley dock, straight-back)

Class A license passed today!!!!

Thanks, just have to decide between Werner and Swift now by the end of the weekend.

Both good companies. My DOT certified instructor worked for werner for 15 years. She likes them a lot.

Cheating?

You gotta love this one. He locks his keys in his truck and complains that JB hunt charged him 125 for his mistake.

I just did this myself... Man felt like a dumbass... Now I keep a spare in my wallet as that's always on me.

I think I will go for a magnet key case attached to the front bumper, because I could lock my wallet in the truck too. Wrap the key up in plastic to prevent moisture from getting in, and it keeps it from rattling inside.

Cheating?

Cheating?

What is "TR"?

truckersreport.com

Class A license passed today!!!!

Congrats.