Comments By TxsGent

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/9-hauler.jpg avatar
  • TxsGent
  • Comments:

Love's TirePass

Off topic, but just have to throw it in to the mix. Frequently at truck stops there are people either trying to sell you something. Sometimes it is a sob story. I was fueling and a guy asked if he could wash my windows for a buck. They were dirty and they needed the cleaning. He only asked for a dollar. He cleaned the windows, mirrors and headlights and did a great job. He worked for the money. I think I have him a five and I would like to do it often. I wouldn't leave my tire pressure up to someone off the street, but if a trained person would work for tips, I would occasionally bite. Still looking to use the credits that Love's put on the card.

Truck hits bridge.

Lumper Fee's

Sue, Lumper fees are very high on my mind right now. I don't understand the process, but I have handed over three checks in the last three days.

The price was not determined until the job was complete. After the job is complete, I received the amount and their federal tax number. I sent that to my company and they send an authorization number for a ComCheck.

In my very limited experience, when dealing with lumpers, it isn't just unloading or loading the truck. They are like contract warehouse workers. I had to wait while they broke the contents of the pallets down into separate outbound pallets. It really ate up my clock.

Just out of school, going with PTL, but one concern...

Andrew, Welcome aboard and a pre-welcome to PTL. I went to orientation the Thursday and Friday before Thanksgiving.

Most likely your phase one training will be in a standard. That is 5,000 with a trainer. Phase two will most likely be in an automatic teamed with another P2. Phase two is 40,000 miles and expect to see California a lot. That is where I am now. Getting a trainer and a P2 partner made me feel like a buzzard circling with a group just waiting for the opportunity to move in.

PTL is not all automatics. The newer trucks are. I suspect after I finish P2, I will be assigned a manual with some miles on it.

Hope that helps.

Driving with wife that has CDL, Should we team drive or solo?

You can definitely team drive, but the driving responsibility would be equally shared. Team trucks stay rolling for the most part. The company I am in training with utilizes teamed trainees to get freight to the west coast in a timely manner. A solo driver is restricted to eleven hours of drive time, but a team, twenty-two. When you throw in fuel stops and mandatory breaks, that is around the clock.

Driving with wife that has CDL, Should we team drive or solo?

Soren, I think that the best option would be for just you to get your CDL. A team driver does not make more money. The driver actually makes less for the miles he or she drives, but gets money for all the paid miles the truck travels. That comes out a little ahead. For a husband/wife team, this is a benefit because all the money goes to the same household. Companies, don't know if it is most all or a few, will not allow a CDL rider. Experienced drivers can correct me if I am wrong.

PTL Inc.

I just started phase 2 of training. Most of what I hear is positive. I believe after the company went employee owned, there was a big push on improving equipment. All the new tractors are automatics. I am not a recruiter, but will try to answer questions from my observations. A recruiter can give you the sanctioned answers and have access to more info.

How long is the process of applying, acceptance & beginning school?

Kent R.,

I am a newb, so I am only speaking from personal experience. I went to a four week private school and then took a month off. That month caused a real slowdown. I filled out an application one night and had a bus ticket confirmation the next evening for orientation. Because it was the week before Thanksgiving, trainers were scares. The company that I chose will do everything they can to get you home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Most of the trainers were heading home.

If your driving record and health are good, I suspect it will go quickly.

Getting Permit Before CDL School

D-Wash,

I am going to go against the community consensus on this.

It depends.

If the first week is to prepare you for the tests; the school provides transportation and time for the test; and the costs of the tests are included in the price of the school, it will benefit you very little to take the tests in advance. Most likely the first week, 40 hours, add to the hours on the certificate you will receive. If the tests are on your own dime in addition to the cost of training and you have to provide your own transportation, there could be some benefit.

If you go through the High Road Training program and can breeze through the questions, you won't need an additional trip to the DMV. You will be able to breeze through the tests with confidence.

You really need to talk with the school to help answer your questions.

Hope this different prospective helps.

Question about team driving pay

To piggyback off of Brett, where team driving pays off is when it is a husband and wife team. While not making significantly more money individually, all the money earned goes to the same household.

Hey Everyone. I Finally Got an Offer.

Mountain girl,

Condolences and congratulations.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. I am excited and happy to hear about your new job. You have been missed here.

Phone not logging in

Brett, I accidentally hit the wrong button when it asked me if I wanted to log in, a couple of days ago. Since then, I have to go through the menu to log in.

Leaving for Swift school this Sunday in Corsicana Texas.

I did however just received news that I'm accepted at Millis and KLLM. Do any of you have a preference? Now, I'm all kinds of confused about which company to choose.

Photogirl, I didn't see the school that you are originally headed.

I only submitted one app and a week later I am enroute. Sending this via Greyhound. I did second guess myself, but I remember, I had reasons for the company I picked.

If you have submitted to other schools and you are still interested in them, call to follow up. I believe you have more options than you realize.

Good luck.

Beginning new career with PTL. (A diary)

I graduated Truck Driving Acadamy on October 10th. I hadn't done anything more in pursuit of a truck driving career until the night of November 12th. I woke up in the in the wee hours of the night and worked on an application. I got it sent off around 0800 in the morning. Before the evening meal, I had my transportation conformation to orientation.

I leave for Murray from Fort Worth on Tuesday to start orientation at PTL on Thursday.

I really appreciate the PTL Diary that Scott B. has provided. Anyone have any additional advice as I start this new journey in my life with Paschall Truck Lines?

Thanks to the creator and the moderators of TT. TT is an invaluable tool for entering into the trucking industry.

TA Offering Free Meal For Veterans

Experienced driver looking to upgrade

Jay M, I went the community college route. Even though it was four weeks long, there was only one week of sitting in a classroom.

I did a straight line back today and didn't kill any cones!!!!!

Jolie,

Have fun with it. In Texas, straight line backing was the only backing for the test. If you start out straight, it isn't to hard. If the truck and trailer aren't straight or pointed in the wrong direction, fix it fast and then it isn't too hard. (Not trying to belittle your accomplishment.)

In Texas, the pre-trip test is written. Since there is only one pre-trip test, there where school bus questions thrown in to the test. My advice would be to practice doing the pre-trip every morning you can. Knowing where everything is and what you are checking is half of it. The other half is communicating to the tester.

Good luck.

I'm finished with my schooling 😏

Spirit, fellow Texan,

I SO understand your anticipation. I failed my first road test and thought I was going to have to wait two days to retake it.

The driving test is a safety test. It isn't a test to see how good you can drive. It is a test to see if the public, mostly, would be safe if the grand state of Texas allowed you to control 40 tons over the highways and through school zones.

You have to be in control of the truck. Grinding gears might count off points, but if it is on the way in to a different gear, I doubt it. Get in gear, you are good. Not getting in gear is coasting. Coasting is out of control.

You can't maneuver a truck if the engine is dead. That is another point of not being in control.

Curbs, damb curbs! Sorry that was my fail. Position yourself; don't rush; square your turns; and watch your tandems. Texas thinks that school children play on curbs. Actually, there could be people on curbs.

Check your mirrors with your neck. Talk what you see and are doing.

I suspect you have done this all, already.

Relax. You got this.

Military Veteran Options?

Ken, Sorry for the delay in responding an the question about VA benefits if it was intrusive.

The reason I asked is because I used post 9/11 to pay for truck driving academy at a local college. In addition to the tuition, I also received a housing allowance and funding for books. Since the school was local, I did not have to use the BAH for living accomodations.

I also see some companies advertising using VA benefits for apprenticeship. I haven't researched that, but looks like a monthly payment for a year.

Military Veteran Options?