Profile For Old School

Old School's Info

Nacogdoches, TX

Experienced Driver

Old School On The Web

5 years, 8 months ago

Old School's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Old School's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 26

Posted:  10 hours, 1 minute ago

Update On Hubby (ElmerFudd) on the forum..

Hey, that all sounds like good news!

Thanks for the update, we are all glad to hear things are going well.

Another flat-bedder is born! dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 day, 11 hours ago

Woman Wanting To Start Trucking Carrer.. But lil nervous doing it

I opted NOT to go through a company paid CDL school because I didn't want to be locked into a company for X amount of time until my training was repaid. I was warned about CDL Mills by many established drivers in various forums.

Hello Sharon, and welcome to our forum! It's really cool to have a lady flat bedded in here. Just recently we had someone inquiring about if there were any ladies doing flatbed, and we assured them there were indeed some ladies out here in the flatbed world.

Just so ya know, we don't necessarily hold to that idea that Paid CDL Training Programs are considered CDL mills, and therefore to be avoided. They are actually a great way to get started in the industry, and many of our members go that route. Misunderstandings abound concerning these programs and truck driver myths take on lives of their own sometimes.

If you care to open your mind up a bit, here's a good article explaining our thoughts as to why these schools may be one of the best ways to get this career started.

Why I Prefer Paid CDL Training

Posted:  1 day, 20 hours ago

Hey guys. It's been a while

Heavy C, here's a thought you might consider. I honestly don't concern myself very much with the way the management of my company operates. Nor do I give much credence to the complaints I hear other drivers airing out about the management. If I'm doing well, and getting paid well, I figure I've got a pretty good gig that's worth staying with.

In just a couple of months I will have a half a million miles in with Knight Transportation. I don't always think management is doing things the way I would, but I just figure that's not my problem or responsibility. In trucking, there are considerable layers of management. I mean they have managers managing managers. It seems so redundant and inefficient, but that's the way it is.

Oftentimes what appears to be some much greener grass only ends up being just as disappointing as the pastures we just left behind. I'm one of these guys who likes numbers. If I can tell my employer is doing well financially, then I figure management is actually getting some things right even if it seems like they're a bunch of Bozos.

As a driver, I want to work for a solid company that I know will keep me making some good money - that's the bottom line for me. I don't necessarily have to agree with how they go about everything. As long as my work is steady and rewarding then I'm all in. It's easy to let the complaining we hear from others misdirect our own thinking, even when we aren't really experiencing those bad things we are hearing about.

I've heard plenty of folks complaining here about my employer. You made this statement about your employer...

People in management positions that shouldn't be.

I can't even count how many times I've heard that sentiment and statement here at Knight. I have seriously thought about it and always conclude that I don't know how these other drivers think they have the ability to know such things. It's just a way to complain about something they don't like. I've seen managers come and go. They are like drivers - if they don't make a track record of accomplishing things that show them effective, they may be soon on the way out.

You didn't really give any detail. You only said...

Pays well but the company is a mess.

I'm not asking for more information, I'm just trying to make you think a little deeper about your own decision. Is that mess you refer to really making your life miserable, or does it just sort of make you scratch your head wondering why they are doing such things? Managers tend to try certain things just to see if they will work or not. Many times they will go right back to plan A after they tally the results of plan B. Those of us who are affected by these experiments get a little frustrated at times, but many times those steady hands who hold on during the transitions and difficulties come out way better than those who constantly jump ship everytime they feel things are changing in a way they aren't comfortable with.

Posted:  2 days ago

Hey guys. It's been a while

Good to hear from ya Heavy C!

I can't help you on the FedEx question, but I'm glad to hear you're doing well. Things are a little slow in here most weekends, but give it a few days and maybe somebody who has worked for FedEx will see this and respond.

Posted:  2 days, 5 hours ago

What do you use for a freezer?

There's a brand of 12 volt coolers with a real compressor that you can set to be used as a refrigerator or freezer. "Dometic" is the name. If you'll go to Amazon and do a search for "Dometic 12 volt refrigerator" you should find the various models. These are on the high end of the price range, but they are built extremely well and have proven to be much more durable than most of the others.

Posted:  2 days, 7 hours ago

Looking for a good flatbed OTR company

Turtle makes a good point. While some of the flat bed companies focus on regional freight so they can advertise "home every weekend" jobs, there are several that will run you all over the place. I'm like Turtle, I have no problem getting consistently long runs. I was dispatched two loads this week totaling more than Five Thousand Miles.

When you look at flat bed companies you'll want to avoid the ones who offer to get their drivers home every weekend.

Have you looked into Central Oregon or Systems? Those are two great flat bed companies that hire from your area. If you're near Pueblo it will be easy to get an outbound load after hometime. I used to load at that Rocky Mountain Steel Warehouse quite a bit when I was on the Western Express flat bed fleet.

Posted:  2 days, 7 hours ago

I went local, and I'm not sure if I'm happy anymore, any advice?

Chris, we teach this stuff all the time. I know you've been in here long enough to have seen our comments about local jobs entailing long hours with just enough time to get home, shower, eat, and go to bed.

Personally I think you've got bigger issues than work related ones. I remember you posting about blasting your airborne at someone holding you up at a fuel island, as if that were the thing that any normal trucker would do. Here's the quote...

I did what any rational person would do, I yanked and held the airhorn until I embarrassed his stupid self.

You've also managed to keep your wife feeling considerable animosity toward you, and your attitude concerning that is pretty cavalier as evidenced by this statement...

I'm on the same schedule I was on the road. The only difference is now I get to have arguments before bed more often.

Yeah, you've got some things you need to change, but I don't think it's your job. Get your personal priorities straight, and probably whatever job you do will work out just fine.

Posted:  3 days, 19 hours ago

JB Hunt Family Dollar Account

It sounds like it just might work for you. Brett did a dollar store account for a year. It's good money, I just don't think it's enough. Best of luck to ya!

Posted:  3 days, 21 hours ago

JB Hunt Family Dollar Account

I don't like JB Hunt the man.

Big Scott, I think it's only fair you explain this statement. You put it out there, so what's the deal? He's been dead for years. He was one of the most innovative people in our industry. Why slam him like this in a public forum?

Posted:  3 days, 21 hours ago

JB Hunt Family Dollar Account

Do you really enjoy doing intense physical labor?

We never recommend that job for rookies, because it's brutal on your body and fraught with really difficult backing scenarios. As an experienced driver you can probably handle the backing, but hand unloading roughly 80,000 pounds of merchandise (every week) in plastic bins stacked so high they sometimes fall on you, is a tough way to make a paycheck. The pay isn't commensurate with the work in my opinion.

They are selling it hard because they can't keep drivers doing it.

Posted:  3 days, 22 hours ago

Wel companies or Werner enterprises for a student driver????

Larry, those are both great choices. We've had drivers in here with both of them. Using the search bar at the top of this page, put in WEL, and you'll find a ton of conversations where they are discussed. Do the same with Werner. That search engine only searches this site. Look for Red Gator's comments - she loved working for WEL.

Posted:  4 days, 2 hours ago

Companies that offer true OTR driving

Matthew, I have a few questions.

How often do you request to be home?

Have you had an open honest discussion with your fleet manager about your desire to move about the country more?

If you are requesting to go home fairly frequently, that could be hindering you from getting dispatched on longer loads. It sounds like you are running well, but if you switch companies that could all be interrupted until you establish yourself with the new company.

Much of our freight these days is regionalized, but that doesn't mean you can't hit the lower 48. Your dispatcher needs to fully understand what it is that you are wanting. I would have a sit down meeting with my dispatcher and tell him what you want. He will either say he can't do it, or he will commit to making an effort to keep you on board by trying to help you with it. This is where being a Top Tier Driver can really benefit you. Usually a really desirable driver will be able to get some strings pulled on his behalf.

Most drivers choose to just look for greener pastures when they are dissatisfied, but it's almost always best to have a serious conversation with your dispatcher first before moving on to some other company. I think just about any reputable company who has a great driver needing some help with an issue like this will do what they can to help out.

I'm with Knight Transportation, and just this week after two days into a 2,280 mile run, I got preplanned on my next trip... 2,398 miles. That's over Five Thousand Miles this week!

Posted:  4 days, 5 hours ago

Article on here.

This may not be the one you're looking for, but it covers some of what you're asking about.

A Critical Piece In Trucking Success

Posted:  4 days, 21 hours ago

Central tech Training

Nice job Oscar! Hang in there, things are about to start moving really fast.

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  6 days, 3 hours ago

Help! Driver on road with misaligned locking pins

Why don't you just release the pins?

If it's as you say, the weight of the trailer should cause it to drop back into place.

Otherwise you just need to call for road service, but surely you knew that. smile.gif

Posted:  6 days, 4 hours ago

Help! I’m the worst in my class at the reverse lane change!

You'll get it. I'm confident of that.

Sit still and imagine doing that maneuver in your mind. Go through all the steps in your imagination, executing it perfectly each time. That may sound crazy but it will help you when you're actually out there feeling the pressure.

Posted:  6 days, 7 hours ago

Do women ever drive flatbed?

Yes, there are a few of them out here. We've even had a few in here ourselves.

There's a search bar at the top of this page. Do two separate searches in it. One for "Syster" (spell it like that) and "Sunshine). You'll find some conversations with one of my favorites. You may even find the conversation where she got sent home from orientation because she couldn't lift the tarps. After we gave her some tips she went back, proved she could do it, and got the job.

Sadly, she no longer participates in our forum, but she was a very inspiring young woman.

Posted:  6 days, 20 hours ago

Starting classes tomorrow

Offset went off without a problem, no pull ups needed and then tried the alley dock ( we just call them 90s here) and 2 orb3 pull ups to manage it....

Tom, some rookie drivers think it's a sign of great skills if they don't have to do a pull-up. In reality pull-ups can and will be part of the strategy a skilled driver will use to execute a backing maneuver in certain situations. Sometimes it will help to get the truck jack-knifed somewhat and then pull up to decrease the angle you're dealing with.

It sounds like you're doing real well. Congratulations!

Posted:  6 days, 21 hours ago

CFI at Crowder College

Congratulations Don!

It's about to get so real you may be scratching your head questioning why you thought this was going to be such a great thing. Hang in there. There will be some stress and some doubts - we all had those things. Just keep at it and know the rewarding times are still a ways off. You'll get there, and you'll be both proud and glad you endured.

Posted:  6 days, 22 hours ago

How long did it take you to get good at backing?

How long did it take you, and what tips or tricks can you share to help out a new guy?

Jim, one thing I did as a rookie is push myself to excel at every aspect of this career. I forced myself to push beyond my limitations. Whether that be understanding how to best manage my time for maximum productivity, or maneuvering the truck in tight situations. If there were some available spots for me to back into along with others that I could pull through, I always went for the ones that required me to go backwards. The only way you will improve is to expose yourself to it more. In short, you've got to practice it continually.

There are tens of thousands of instructional videos online, but they can't even come close to helping you like actually repeating the effort over and over every time the opportunity arises. We could give you all kinds of tips and none of it would benefit you like practicing it repeatedly. Look upon it as a challenge that must be overcome.

Take it seriously and allow yourself to look like an idiot every now and then. Learning how your input at the wheel affects what the trailer will do while backing, comes only from repeatedly making the effort at putting that beast where you want it. Most weeks the score may look like...

Tractor Trailer 15

Uncoordinated Driver 3

Eventually you're gonna start coming out on top. Be patient and persistent - it takes both of those virtues.