Profile For Tim F.

Tim F.'s Info

Coxsackie , NY

Experienced Driver

7 years, 8 months ago

Tim F.'s Bio

Hometown is about 30 miles south of Albany NY. 50 year old who searched for and found a new career in trucking. Divorced and have one son.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Preventable accident on DAC report

I wouldn’t freak out too much about that being in your DAC report.

I’ll tell you my story

In the first 6 months of my career I damaged a Roehl trailer on the way to a delivery. I hit the back of a car carrier with the right corner of my trailer while turning into a parking spot. Pretty sure the whole corner had to be replaced. Luckily there was minimal damage to the car carrier. No damage to the cars.

Beyond the initial reporting to safety, I never heard a thing from Roehl. I lost my safety bonus, which is only right.

I’ve been working for Ruan now for 4 years on a local Target account.

They never questioned me on my DAC report (I know it’s on there).

So I’d say…relax, breathe…everything will be okay. Focus more on driving safely.

Good luck

Posted:  1 month ago

Just took a position with TQL. Tell me how I can be a partner and not a prick.

Most on here are company drivers. There some owner operators, but very few.

I don’t think this will be an effective source of feedback.

Good luck in your new position.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Celebrating 1 year total in trucking this week

We’ll done Moe. You’ve certainly worked hard to get to this point. A lot of ups and downs.

Keep up the good work!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Carlisle, PA to Middletown, CT

I81 north to 84 east is the less expensive and during the week, less delays.

84 in CT can get congested at times.

I went over the GW last week heading to Brooklyn. On the way into NYC I lost 2 hours due to an accident on the bridge.

On the way back, I lost 2-1/2 hours due to emergency maintenance caused by the accident. I should have known better and taken an alternate route (95 north, 287 west to NYS Thruway and the Tappan Zee)

You’ll learn these time saving and cost saving routes.

Take care.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Schneider says I owe them $2k after being termed from CDL training in a week and a half

It won’t go into garnish or be taken from your account. But it will be put into collections and will hit you credit. You’ll have to try and work something out with them.

I wouldn’t worry about your credit score. All a credit score does is let you get into more debt.

Once she gets a job and generates an income then she can deal with them. Until then, I’d let it sit.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

You probably do owe the debt. You’ve done all that is required.

If they call back, simply say that you have no money and are looking for employment with other companies.

Tell them you will be in touch when you find employment.

Leave it at that. They can’t garnish, they can’t take it from your account.

It sounds like you ran into an impatient instructor. I remember Roehl tried a couple times to send Jolie(a former member here) home a couple times saying she would never pass. She held her ground and insisted on completing the program. She passed with flying colors.

Hopefully Swift will accept you into the training.

Good luck!

Tim

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

The George Washington bridge.

I may have to make some trips over the bridge to the Hunts Point Market. I can refuse to go there. Why is going over the GW bridge and Hunts Point Market undesirable, according to what I hear?

It’s extremely expensive and extremely slow going depending on time of day.

I run loads once or twice a week depending on my schedule. My most recent run was Monday. I lose anywhere from 1/2’hour to an hour at that bridge. This was at roughly 7 am.

One of the things that makes it frustrating is the design. You have 7 or eight lanes going through the tolls that all weave down to 3-4. You really need to be patient traveling through there. Also, watch your mirrors. .

As I said Bruce, allow for the time to get through it. Last I knew it was 94 dollars one way, but I think they had a price increase .

Hope this helps.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Who is the Better Company

Since you are either still in school or recently graduated, I’d go with the one that will hire you.

Good luck!

Posted:  4 months ago

Take the Risk or Not?

Some people might think this is hard-hearted, but I really think that you should put your father into a memory care home. This is for his safety as well as for your sanity. He is already wandering around. It's not long before he will be turning on the stove and forgetting it. I have personally known two people who wandered off into the woods and were never found. Another person wandered out of the house and fell into a ditch and was found dead in the morning. Unless you want to live in a locked home and deal with your father who will be angry at you and who might even physically attack you for keeping him safe, think again.

It seems that everyone else has made you feel that this is your responsibility. IT is not. It is equally everyone's responsibility. The same people who dump everything on you will also claim that you committed fraud by using his social security checks to pay for his food. Maybe not, but I've seen it happen. It would be different if this man had been a loving kind father to you all of his life. Anyone can turn nasty with Alzheimer's, but I'm hearing you say that this was not him. If he has assets such as a home, etc. this can be used to get him into a memory home. Yes, you won't get much money from the inheritance, but think of all the money you will save on psychiatric bills for yourself.

You are in the prime years of your life. Live it. Go get your license. Drive regional or local if you want, or go OTR. There are no replays on life.

Spot on here Lillian.

Not cold hearted at all.

This is your best advice.

Good luck

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Sharing your Trucking Experience

Hi Josh,

I went to Roehl Transport and completed their “Get tour CDL” course. Worked for Roehl for 2 years or so. Good outfit. Safety conscious, which is important for a new driver.

I now work for Ruan Transport. I run on a dedicated account for Target in Amsterdam NY.

I filled out an application for health insurance. It was that easy. Any other questions, please ask.

Good luck!

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

You guys ever

I drive the Mass Turnpike into the Boston market almost every day. So those days are quite often. I’d say they are every day….but I get Thursdays and Sunday off.

The favorite move of the “M*******” is the two lane exit slide. That’s when they drive the middle lane fast enough to get in front of you, then they slide to the right and slow down so they can make the exit ramp. All while crossing two lanes off traffic.

One of the rules Roehl taught me was to “expect the expected”. So now I’m on to them…lol.

Keep driving safe all.

Posted:  9 months ago

Starting at central transport In pennsylvania

I worked for Central Transport for a couple years.

I’ve seen them towing newer trailers and better equipment.

I left for really two reasons:!

It was a cross dock operation which meant I had to load and unload pallets before and after my shift. I couldn’t handle being on a forklift in the -1…0…1 degree weather.

As a city driver, I got fed up with the freight being consistently damaged once it got to the back of my truck. Some of the guys in the dock didn’t care enough . As long as it got on the trailer …didn’t matter how.

When I worked there (4 years ago) they still hadn’t offered a direct deposit. They tried it once and it got all messed up. They seem to be one step behind the other carriers in terms of technology.

Good luck!

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Phillips Respironics CPAP Machine Recall: URGENT

It’s accurate. There is a recall. I stopped using mine for a month or two. However, with a 90 day requirement I had to start using it again.

For anyone wondering…Philips used a material that is a known carcinogen to provide vibration dampening. The concern is that the material becomes fractured and gets into the airstream of your device.

They have a solution but are waiting for US regulators to approve…which may be a while.

Good luck

Posted:  9 months, 1 week ago

Phillips Respironics CPAP Machine Recall: URGENT

Yeah…I stopped using my CPAP in July and started getting drowsy.

Back on it as of earlier this week. I’ll risk it. Seems like a stretch for anything to happen.

Philips has a resolution, but with regulations it could be some time to approve in US.

Remember all CPAP users, you need 90 days compliance to recertification of medical cards.

Good luck

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Which Mega Carrier is better for regional/dedicated loads?

I can only speak from my experience with Roehl on the east coast.

I went to their CDL school based out of Marshfield WI and got my license through them.

I was looking for something similar…home weekends.

I ran the Kraft Dedicated right out of school. East Coast…Maine to Florida.

I was set up to be home on weekends for my reset. A few times I stayed out for two week or 3 weeks trips but that was to book extra time off.

I know in KC they’d have something available. If you go to Roehljobs on the internet and put in your zip code …it’ll show you what’s available.

Good luck

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Local driving is so good!

Nice job Andrey. Land Air is a great outfit to get on with.

For those of you outside of the Northeast. Land Air runs the whole NE. A lot of their freight is regional then interlining with other LTL lines.

When I was with Central Transport we sent quite a bit to them both to deliver and pickup for us.

This is a great opportunity for Andrey to get going on local.

Well done!

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Should I bother going to a paid CDL school VS company sponsored training?

Jay,

The school is going to teach you enough information to pass the CDL A road test ...as is a company sponsored school.

Your further training will occur at the start of tour new job. Companies have different training programs. That’s where you learn the particulars of being a professional truck driver.

I went to Roehls CDL school. I didn’t sweat the year commitment to save me 6-7 Grand. I figure it was a great deal. Which it was.

If I were you?, I’d do company sponsored/paid and have a job waiting for me once you successfully complete the program

Good luck

Posted:  1 year, 1 month ago

Left prime

It appears that by Johns own description, he did not stick.

On to the next wannabe

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Roehl training: phase 3 (solo)

I’m going to take a shot in the dark here.

Roehl doesn’t have a great deal of activity in the NE region. They have some dedicated freight heading into the northeast and some paper that comes out of Maine.

When I ran for the Kraft fleet a few time I dead head 400 miles back to Winchester VA for my next load OR I’d pick up a brokered load.

Roehl could have seen this as an opportunity to reduce the driver count in the NE and Andrey provided the means unfortunately.

There some other trucking companies that have been advertising heavy for drivers. Pottles out of Maine. Cowan has the contract for the BJs in Uxbridge Ma. And are advertising for OTR.

Andrey...just remember...you didn’t have an accident. You had an incident in a parking lot that was deemed preventable. Most good companies will discern the difference. Also, next time you are in that situation, complete the back before stopping.

Good luck!

Posted:  1 year, 2 months ago

Roehl's qualification day

Decided to go with Roehl. Got my DOT health card and CDL permit. Not sure if my recruiter understands past a certain point. It was only a 6th month card due to BMI. Recruiter says there is no new dot health exam or physical exam during the whole process. Safety will contact me close to the expiration to make sure I'm ready. Is that correct? anyone know or have experience with Roehl?

Larry...Roehl typically sends your to their preferred doctor for the physical. Bus this what happened here.

They use a third person association to review physicals and advise their safety department. If this is what was done then you should be all set.

As others have said, they are probably giving you the 6 months for the sleep study. I have mild sleep apnea and adjusted quickly to the machine. I now actually miss it when I skip a night of use.

Good luck. I got my license through Roehl in 2014. Great people and a great company.