Comments By Chiefmac

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/130.jpg avatar
  • Chiefmac
  • Comments:

What options do we have with this scale ticket?

Thanks for the correction Brett!

I am getting back into the HRT today. Glad this wasn't my load, I still have about two weeks before I head out so back to studying.

What options do we have with this scale ticket?

Forgot LA---- I-20 run

What options do we have with this scale ticket?

truck driver overweight scale ticket

This is a scale ticket from a facebook group member; fuel is at 1/4 and tractor does not have an APU. States are GA, AL, MS, TX.

Should burn that extra 60 lbs off in about 8 miles and then I guess it's just add enough fuel to get to the next scale house at less than 1/4 and fuel after the scales and do it again.

Is that about right?

Elogs question

Old School Appreciation Thread

Not much I can say that hasn't or won't be said; therefore, thank you Old School from the bottom of my heart for your advice and inspiration.

I also want to tip my hat again to all of you; I would not be as prepared for my graduation without your help!

thank-you.gif

Truck Driver Terminated For Writing “Jesus” In His Logbook As A Co-Driver

A letter of termination from Olivarez’s former employer states that he was asked to stop “submitting incomplete documentation and falsifying legal documents” – also stating that writing “Jesus” as a co-driver is a violation of the law.

It appears that he was warned. It is wonderful to have a strong faith but, it is dangerous to lack common sense.

Blind side. sight side parallel

The music may not be to everyone's liking (I strongly suggest mute...but that's just me) but this video shows a great technique for blind side and can also be used on sight side.

Video: How To Parallel Park A Semi

This video shows how to park a tractor trailer doing a blind side parallel park

Right Mirror Making Me NUts!

Good luck! You got this.

Right Mirror Making Me NUts!

I had trouble picking things up in the right spot mirror so what I have done to help is to sit in the cab and focus on my mirrors. Do this without moving anywhere and identify as many things as you can see. Look at each West Coast mirror and each spot and fender mirror for a few minutes. After a little while I was much more comfortable with all of them when in motion.

Hope this helps. good-luck-2.gif

D*** Red Light Cameras!

They spend billions on traffic cameras and "after the fact" methods to document an incident yet very little on preemptive measures such as early warning or driver assist systems. I guess they'd rather have that revenue stream than to really address safety.

REALLY??? Will you turn down questions from rookies at truck stops or will you answer a question or two???

There are some drivers that will not give you the time of day. Fortunately they are the minority. In fact I have had several drivers take time to answer questions. The other day while on 30 minute break with my crew from school, a driver from Beacon Transport came into the lounge just to talk to us. There are a lot of great guys and gals out there. Like anything in life though, there is going to be bad with that good. Glad to see that you have chosen to be a good and professional driver. Good luck to you!

"Hiring Area" ??

Not for nothing but you should probably spend more time reading the posts and blogs here instead of the BS on other sites and coming here to ask the types of questions you are posting.

Use the search function and check to see if something has been asked already and remember this about those other places:

If it's too good to be true, it probably is and if it seems outrageous it's most likely BS as well.

This is the best site for truthful info; the real deal if you will. You will find that almost any question you might have has been covered or will be answered quickly and with the utmost sincerity. This is totally opposite of some of the places you must have been seeking information from.

Lastly, being in school (as am I), can be stressful, don't make it worse by overthinking, or delving into things that don't have much to do with what your main objective is......get your CDL. Researching this site will give you what you need to get going...if you let it.

Good luck to you.

I need some advice

We have the same type arrangement at my school except we did backing first. When 4 students successfully test out of the yard (2 of us on the 4th day and two more on the 5th), we get assigned to a truck. We've been on the road for 3 days now and each get 90 minutes time in the seat and catch different types of traffic, city, country, and interstate. I think we are supposed to get 44 hours total behind the wheel (going forwards and backwards no doubt). I feel pretty confident and don't mind the others getting a little more time if they need it. Most of my team feels that way...and we get a lot of feedback from our instructor.

Hill driving in a lightweight

Let me put it in perspective. Right now, you're a 4x4 mega cab Toyota Tundra hauling a boat. Soon you'll be 2-door Ford Ranger hauling a boat.

rofl-2.gif

Instructor Mad as A Wet Hen

If you haven't noticed by now, this site and The High Road are the best training available anywhere online. I got to school well prepared (even though I had not completed every part of THR) and fairly well ahead of my classmates. Did very well on the permit and endorsements (took all but Hazmat so far) and have started back on the Log Book and Weight & Balance sections now that I have moved off the yard and onto the road. The info from here can totally prepare you for your written exams and give you a real leg up when you get into the practical portion of class as well. Even so, you must stay humble. Understand that we will never know everything (especially at this stage of the game) and we can never stop learning. I didn't come here to be a Super Trucker, I came here to get the best info on how to be a safe and efficient trucker. If you did too, then you will not be disappointed.

To Brett, all the moderators, and contributors here; I thank you for what you have given me. I can't repay it so I will make sure to pay it forward.

thank-you-2.gif

My truck stop app sucks.

Trucker Path lists most of the major truck stops (with info but not fuel prices), scale houses, CAT scales, and traffic. Beware...the routing is not truck specific (the program does inform you of this upfront). The truck stop specific ones (ie: Loves, P/FJ...) will show you current fuel prices, store specials, and other things.

Locks on trailer doors

My understanding is that van loads and reefer loads will be sealed at some point when they have been loaded. I have two questions:
1) are you required to place a lock on the doors after that seal goes on?

2) are tank trailer outlets sealed or locked?

Dock workers and truckers: respective perspectives

Once again I have to agree with Paul (a trend is developing here). This site is the best around for learning how to "do it right", and they welcome all comers.

I think it is great to have some info from different perspectives and anything you can bring to the table would be much appreciated; especially to those of us starting out.

The cornerstone of any career should always be work hard, respect others, and never stop learning. Welcome Freight N. I hope to read more from you.

Lumpers and Lumper fees

dancing-dog.gif So let me get this straight...you paid the shipper for chickens so you can sell them and make money. The shipper paid my company to bring it to you so you can make money. Now you want me to pay you to offload it so you can make money? Only in America!

rofl-3.gif

Strategizing the Long Term.

I would have to echo what Paul said on everything related to this site. Although I am just starting school I can tell you that the advice and the educational material here is awesome. I am very comfortable in class and feel like I am way ahead of where I would be without their help. Read everything that is on here...including the older stuff (this site has been around for a number of years) and especially the blogs and chronicle posts from the veterans. You want to see inside of trucking before jumping in? Well you've come to the right place.

good-luck.gif