Profile For Steve L.

Steve L.'s Info

FL

Experienced Driver

5 years, 11 months ago

Steve L.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Steve L.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  6 days, 6 hours ago

WTF?

Try a little humility.

Many of us have spent significant time in the military and yes, in combat. That doesn’t guarantee us the job (and circumstances) we want. Many have suffered more setbacks than you AND STILL succeeded.

The world owes you nothing, but offers you opportunity. Just because you don’t like the terms doesn’t mean the opportunity doesn’t exist.

However, it sounds like you weren’t happy before. Why would any company think you’d stick with them?

If I’ve read you wrong I apologize. If not, I hope this helps.

Posted:  6 days, 18 hours ago

How often are you really "late?"

I’ve been late less than five times in five years.

How often were you late while out with a trainer? Are all your loads live load/unload? What percentage are drop/hook? How often do you discuss your appointment times with your dispatcher or manager?

When I started (with Schneider) I was able to give my eta and I always gave myself extra time. In fact, they trained me to plan my time by; miles divided by 50mph = ETA. That resulted in a very generous ETA. Over time, I’ve been able to tighten that up by considering things like interstate vs. backroads.

Have you talked with a trainer at your company to see if they have any ideas?

Posted:  6 days, 19 hours ago

School VS Paid Training Tough Decision

The only reason I did private school was because I wanted to go with a company (Schneider) which didn’t have a school at the time, but they did tuition reimbursement.

Some would say I wasted my money, but it was a plan that worked for me. Company sponsored training (especially with a company like Roehl) May be better for you.

I wouldn’t worry about the time commitment. I stayed with Schneider for two years before moving on. So 15 months (in my opinion) should be a commitment you can keep. Who knows, you may stay with them forever.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Am I too old to get my CDL

Not too old!

I got mine at 53 and been driving the 5+ years since. Come onboard! 😎

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

What to do?

Freightshaker185, I can’t tell you what’s best for you. For me, I started with Schneider OTR Dry van and intended to stay with them.

After two years I found a company doing southeast regional, making the same money, but home weekly (often times more). Now I’ve been driving 5+ years and it all started here.

Your target income should be doable after the first year.

Should you go with Schneider, their Lebanon, TN (where I think you’d be managed) crew is top-notch.

I’m only speaking from my experience. Many large companies have great opportunities for you to succeed.

Do the High Road Training Program here to get a good start. And remember; you’re ALWAYS interviewing for the job.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

What to do?

When I drove OTR for Schneider, they sometimes had me do Walmart dedicated (usually only about 3-4 days at a time) out of Washington Courthouse, OH and once out of PA to Eastern MD.

Both DC’s were great people to work with and the store people did all the unloading. I just had to observe and sometimes check off as they pulled each pallet.

As a driving experience, OH involved going on some interesting WV roads but no major problems. Going to MD stores traffic was very heavy when I went. Just take it slow, review your route plan ahead of time and ask for help if you’re unsure.

In my opinion, Walmart dedicated seemed very well organized and easier than something like Dollar General (logistically).

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

My #1 Concern starting career in trucking

John S, I started with Schneider and only spent a week OTR with a trainer. This was after I completed a truck driving school and had my CDL.

Many will say what I had was not enough. I’m sure it’s not for some. But, it was perfect for me for a number of reasons.

I’d say you gotta consider what this means to you AND what you’re willing to do for it.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

ABS Light, Did I Make the Right Choice?

ABS lights can be a pain in the rear. You did the right thing.

I’ve had plenty of situations where a previous driver disconnected the light. And I’ve had the situation (recently) where a shop put an annual inspection sticker on THAT MORNING and the ABS module was bad.

Hang in there, communicate with your team leader and DRIVE ON! 😎

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

Getting Started

If it’s the yearning of the heart, it won’t matter.

It’ll take a little getting used to, but it can be an enjoyable experience. I live in Florida and asked Schneider to send me west a few years back. I got to California, Winslow, AZ (no girl in a flatbed Ford), through Phoenix and Denver a couple of times each and survived quite well.

Enjoy your ride! 😎

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

New chapter.....CRETE

Subtract the prorated balance you’ll pay to Swift, from your realistic first six months pay at Crete. If it’s gonna net you close to the same (as what you’ll earn staying at Swift) it might be advantageous to stay at Swift while considering other companies.

After your first full year, there’ll likely be more companies willing to offer you something better.

Posted:  3 weeks, 4 days ago

Choose trucking company per your location

Buck C; I live about an hour east of you. I started with Schneider and had no problems with home time.

Here’s how it worked; I gave them the day I wanted to be home, they routed me into the area, had me drop my empty trailer at a shipper or a trailer shop (near the Grand Bay exit 4, I-10) and I could take the truck home. When I came out of the house, they routed me to a location to pickup an empty and on to next load assignment.

My “terminal” was Lebanon, TN, which I hardly ever saw.

Mostly they got me home, then got me load assignments back into the heavy freight lanes and it worked well.

Also, their numerous operating centers (which probably many national companies have) around the country, meant I could take home time in other areas to visit family and friends.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  1 month ago

HATE dealing with people!!

I agree on OTR dry van. When I drove two years with Schneider, almost everything was drop/hook. However, you still need to have a good relationship with dispatch or your team leader.

Also, OTR dry van I had longer hauls, so I might haul fewer each week. Fewer people to deal with.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Cabin Weight Limits for Personal Belongings

I’ve never worried about it. Never even thought about this. Well, except when I see how big some drivers are.

I’m rarely within 1,000lbs of the 80k. On the few occasions a shipper loaded me to the point I was over, they had to remove product. Never have I been told I have too much personal stuff.

Unless you plan on driving for a specific company, hauling specifically 79,500lb loads, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Schneider orientation monday

Congratulations!!

Bring your positive attitude and follow instructions. You’re still interviewing for the job.

West Memphis is a good OC.

Enjoy your ride! 😎

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

I've Been Sick This Week

🙏 Sorry to hear it, but glad you’re tough as nails and kickin’ a$$!

You’re always an inspiration!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Trying to get CDL

Tyler; much of the negative you’ll read about ANY company, has a lot to do with the level of demand the complainers put on the company. For some strange reason, many truck drivers don’t see the risks a company must take to hire them.

Swift might be a great fit for you. They’re big enough to have lots of freight, various options if you choose to change from OTR to dedicated (or vice versa) and they’re nationwide.

You may not be able to do much about where you start, but isn’t your goal well beyond that?

Cheer up and get rolling! 😎

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Mentoring done ... going solo ... nervous as hell

Five weeks without an incident, while running hard AND all you’ve learned DOES make you better than a lot of others.

FEAR NOT!

During your time off, consider the situations that were difficult or tense and how you handled them. Keep those in mind as you head back out and BE CONFIDENT.

Congratulations!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Lease Purchase Question

Joey, thanks for your service!

Enjoy the benefits of retirement, enjoy the part of driving you loved. Don’t take on the headaches if you don’t have to.

The romance of business ownership (in ANY business) isn’t what it once was. I’ve owned a few and even made one successful enough to sell it. Now, I drive, bring home over $50k/year, get home multiple times each week and someone else has to pay for repairs and keep the equipment maintained.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

What Would Cause a Trainer to Kick a Student from a Truck?

“One thing that got to me the most was stopping for restroom and showers. I have a bladder problem (so embarrassing,I know). Definitely would like to know would it be like a huge problem even though it's a medical condition?”

Bubbles; this may be affected by a change in eating habits once you start driving regularly. E.g. I eat way less than before driving, lost 45lbs within my first year and therefore, have to go less often.

It also seems my lower intake of grains (like bread & crackers), eliminating caffeinated soda and snacks has reduced my need to go as often.

My observations are based solely on my experiences and I’m not a trainer.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Thoughts on Forward facing cameras.

I once heard Zig Ziglar say; if you’re hired out to a man, you’re hired out for whatever he wants you to do.

Steve, when I was a young teenager, my Dad would have me read Zig Ziglar's books. Then he would test me to make sure I was getting the concepts. That guy had a very formative effect on how I take care of my business. I loved seeing you quote him. He was a very inspiring guy.

I wish I’d met him. The audiobook Secrets of Closing The Sale is on my iPhone. I’ve used some his techniques verbatim, with good success.

Although I’m a Driver, his influence helps me be a better employee, customer service agent for my company and all-around person.

😎