Profile For Steve L.

Experienced Driver

6 years, 12 months ago

Steve L.'s Bio

stevelitton@bellsouth.net

Steve L.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  5 hours, 24 minutes ago

What kind of trucking job do I want to look for?

On a road I've never been on, and I don't know which lane I need to be in, I end up stuck in the wrong lane, especially when there is a lot of traffic. Sometimes the line turns solid before I can even see the sign that says what lane I want to be in.

Thanks.

If this is happening to you, you're not looking far enough ahead. The first of the Smith System keys is Aim High in Steering, and it will be stressed in any CDL school, that you need to be looking as far ahead as possible (while keeping your eyes moving to scan near and far, right mirror, left mirror). Do this, and you'll have time to position yourself properly. Basically, any time you need to make a quick reaction, you already messed up by not recognizing the situation early enough. This isn't about only driving roads you're already familiar with. It's about using your eyes properly, and knowing how to process the information your eyes gather.

I’ve experienced a number of off-ramps where the lane markings are practically gone and/or not marked at all. Usually the problem ones are on some sort of uphill ramp where I can’t decipher how many turn lanes. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Posted:  8 hours, 5 minutes ago

What kind of trucking job do I want to look for?

You're not as much of a tool as I used to think.

This quote and others, lead me to believe which-lane-to-be-in is likely to be the least of your obstacles.

When I find myself in the wrong (or less desirable) lane, I put the turn signal on and take it slow. Someone will let you over OR, the traffic will pass, leaving it wide open for you to move. Patience.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Pre-trip and HOS

Ask a DOT Officer. 😆

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

1 year+ removed from CDL school

Stay positive and keep in mind the things you need to avoid.

Like someone once said; the older I got, the smarter my parents became. Same is true here; some of the really wise old owls tell us things we don’t want to hear.

I hope your experience nets you a bright future. Safe travels!

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Check That Fifth Wheel!

0435164001633822408.jpg

Recently I’ve wondered if visually inspecting and tug testing EVERY time was still necessary. Today I was reminded YES! This poor guy was still working on it when I left two hours later. And check out the name of the company on the truck. 😲

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Anyone know of mega carriers that still have manuel trans trucks?

As much as I’m glad I learned, and started, with a 10-spd, I loved the way Schneider had the autos set up on Cascadias. Using the manual mode and jakes was so easy.

And Atlanta is always a reminder that auto IS much better. 😎

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Birthday

Happy Birthday! And thanks for this place! 🎂🎉

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Do You Think I Can Pass My Permit Test?

When I took my Florida permit test, the questions were almost verbatim what’s on the High Road Training Program practice exams.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

What would you do after first year of experience hauling reefer for a mega carrier?

I have never driven (only) reefer, but it sounds like you’re only getting about 2,000 miles a week.

There’s a ton of info on here about improving your efficiency. But, how often do you go home? Are you able to get longer hauls? Do you WANT longer hauls?

I’m just wondering what all the non-pay factors are that are preventing you from making more $.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Umbrella

The umbrella is more cumbersome than it’s worth for me. Where I live and work, the rain has a tendency to come at me sideways. So, hooded rain coat and a dry pair of socks after seems to work for me.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

How Hard Is It To Get A CDL?

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Some responses of my own to yours...

"I'm having trouble finding anything I'm passionate about but have been thinking about trucking..." - I've always loved large rigs since I was a child. Going down the road with my parents as a toddler of the '70's, my parents would see a rig coming the other way and coax me to look out the window the opposite way so as not to see it and get all excited. Corny I know, but it's what they did. I've always had respect for the truck drivers even if no one else seems to have. I mean your stuff doesn't just get from A to B, someone has to get it there. I've also always had respect for the overnight people such as myself, store shelves don't just get stocked by magic nor do financial books magically balance themselves (and it's a lot easier at night when things stop than during the day)! It's just that I went from a hotel job at a place I enjoyed, with a company I enjoyed, with co-workers I enjoyed and all that was taken away from me. I now work at a hotel owned by a company who cares about customer service sure, but cares more about the revenue than it seems anything else (they've tacked on two "fees" which are false, nothing more than a cash grab).

"...only have myself to take care of..." - Yes, I am single and don't have anyone that I have to provide for. I am looking at putting an elderly relative into a facility, but while I expect to have to contribute some I'm also lining up finances to pay for as much of it as possible; I'm not going to try and foot the bill alone. But more to the point, I'm tired of customer service. I've been on one front desk or another and therefore in customer service for some thirty years. Its gotten old. You're at fault for everything. The hoards don't hesitate to let you have it for the smallest of things, really I'm not kidding, and tear your stuff up - the expression how you can never have nice things anyone... Sure, I know in trucking you do have to deal with folks - company people, co-workers, folks you run into, folks you deliver to. But you also get to leave... I've heard it, paraphrasing here, that there's nothing like if you're treated badly, you get to decide who gets into your rig and you know you'll drive away and likely never have to see that person ever again. By not taking having to care for anyone but myself, I'd also just stay out for long stretches at a time only coming home to the house I have on occasion.

"...getting lost..." - By this I mean, I'm not running from anything. I was on the losing side of a falling out at work, they believed the bully over me and after standing up for myself the new management company that took over my hotel decided to let me go. Had it been the old management company, the old GM, I'd probably have survived. But while sure it may just be this property and/or what I'm doing right now, I'm just not feeling it anymore. By getting lost I meant that I've reconnected with many of my friends from high school, some are plus or minus the year that I graduated - '91. But I've looked through their photos, friended them and seen what they've posted. To some degree they've travelled for school and/or just travel and continue to do so. Just this past month a friend posted photos of her family trip to Yosemite. My family never had much money, so that travel bug was never ignited in me and all I've ever done is more or less work, home, work, home and maybe a trip from TX to NM, OK, CO once every rare year. Sure I'd like to stop and see some tourist sites, but it's also about the journey. I've got nothing against flying, but I'd rather drive just for the journey rather than seeing the country from the vantage of the airport.

Thanks for the heads up on Prime. I'm open minded about most anyone but I'll have to check them out. A friend of a friend has experience with Raider Express so that's why I looked them up and liked what I saw. And Schneider is just like the biggest and has a slew of benefits and equipment and recruiting events which interest me to talk to someone. But I'll check out Prime.

I'm curious what Mark O did in hospitality that he's leaving? If he doesn't mind my asking...

On the overnight shift tonight, computers just came back up from final reports. So I've gotta go. But I'll check in later... Thanks everyone!!!

Use your customer service background to develop relationships with your shippers/receivers. They get lots of jerks. Everybody is your customer. Kindness is often rewarded (but not guaranteed, it doesn’t always work).

Don’t think you’ll walk away and never deal with the problem person again. If your company runs you in an area regularly (yes, even OTR), you may see that person much sooner than expected. E.g. my company used to run me from Florida panhandle to Laredo, TX, then Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois and back down to home in Florida. Lots of shippers and receivers I frequented. And you never know when the guy getting coffee next to you is the guy who will be unloading you today. 😎

I hope this helps.

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

I just left Veriha Trucking that I sign an 18 month non compete with

Aaaaand, herein lies one benefit to private school.

People constantly bash private school prices of $5k-$6k, but it appears this driver is on the hook for $12.5k? I’m all okay with company-sponsored CDL training, but $12,500? Sheesh.

Also, I never had Schneider recruiters lie to me. In fact, most of the stuff they promise is on their Schneiderjobs website. Having served in the military, I know recruiters will often embellish or stretch the truth, but getting adequate information in order to make an informed decision is MY responsibility.

Good luck!

Posted:  3 weeks, 2 days ago

How Hard Is It To Get A CDL?

Relatively easy to get, keeping and using it more difficult.

The moderators will chime in with more details. But I went from closing down a small business & liquidating inventory, to solo driving for Schneider, in about four months. Three weeks of CDL School, about the same for Schneider orientation and I was on the road.

**IMPORTANT: I did the HRTraining Program here before going to CDL School and had my permit in hand on day one. And, I was fully committed to the job of truck driving.

This site promotes company-sponsored training. I went the private route because I’d already decided on Schneider and they didn’t have CDL Training in my area at that time.

I hope this helps.

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Little update…I’m a baby flatbedder now!

YES! Sweet Madam Blue!

Congratulations! And that’s one beautiful blue babe!

Posted:  1 month ago

What is causing the backlog at the ports in Long Beach and Los Angeles?

Does the back up of ships have any connection with the recent blockage in the Suez Canal?

I would think that blockage would’ve affected east coast but not west coast.

From what I read, some of those ships that were blocked had to go around south America instead of the Panama Canal to get to the Left coast. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My response was referring to the Suez Canal. I’m unaware of a Panama Canal problem. Sorry.

Posted:  1 month ago

What is causing the backlog at the ports in Long Beach and Los Angeles?

I would think that blockage would’ve affected east coast but not west coast.

Posted:  1 month ago

My Trucking Journey from the beginning

Congratulations!

You’ll be tested everyday, in many different ways. But it sounds like you’re off to a good start, with a great attitude. And THAT will make a difference.

Congrats again and l hope your journey is all you want it to be.

Posted:  1 month ago

Got to love people who park where they please

“ The problem isn't the 4-wheelers - they're parked legally.”

Are y’all sure about that? I thought it was illegal to park within so many feet of an intersection and those cars are awfully close to that turn.

Glad you have an “escape plan.” 👍

Posted:  1 month ago

Old School

I agree an Old School story needs to be told. Maybe Kearsey could write it. While Old School’s story is, in general, a common occurrence in this profession, what makes Old School different is the perseverance when others would give up AND the no-nonsense advice.

I sincerely hope you get back behind the wheel soon. But, whatever route your journey takes, you’ve smoothed lots of rough roads for the rest of us. THANKS!

Posted:  1 month ago

Dental work needed when OTR

If your company can run you through your home area, that would be best. If it’s one of the National carriers, sometimes they get loads that have a flexible delivery. It can’t hurt to ask.