Comments By Roadkill (aka:Guy DeCou)

https://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo203/ritzguy/CAM00007_zps7q8ptfue.jpg avatar

Running Hard

Running OVER 3000 miles a week is tough..not only to make those kind of miles, but physically as well...most drivers average about 2200-2500 miles a week...you start getting up to and over 3000 miles, you're either a genius with time management or you're on a dedicated..either way, that's tough driving and whilst it may sound great on paper, most people can only hold up that kind of pace for a few weeks at most before it catches up to them..

Daily lives time management and off time on the road

You can have a 7 foot vampire dido welding blowup doll if ya want.

If you know where I can get one of those, I would appreciate it..rofl-2.gif

Starting school next week, better not be smokers.

You sound like a real easy going guy with a great attitude, im sure you wont have any trouble with the attitudes and personalities you will encounter in the trucking business.

Now THAT was funny... rofl-2.gif

My update with Prime Inc.

Fingers Crossed Daniel, I start orientation on the 10th of March...smile.gif

My First Mentor

Daniel, I agree with the other guys, you handled this situation in the best way you could have..you don't need to be with that yahoo and he shouldn't be a trainer..imagine if he had gotten in an accident when he was on YOUR clock...this would have ended badly for BOTH of you...and I do mean ENDED...fingers crossed you get a top notch trainer this time..

Been away for a while, busy truckin

Good to hear from you Dave..how about posting some pics of our new rig...also, sounds like you've been busy, which is good to hear..hopefully this weather will clear out soon and you guys can start posting some good mileage again..as a interesting side note, what phone carrier did you have that you found to be less than stellar??

Enjoying Prime

Thanks for the responses, guys..that really does clear things up a bit...I guess I just got a bit nervous when I read Mongo's post about guys from Louisiana having trouble as that's where I will be coming from. Right now I'm still in the Islands and leaving everything behind and moving back home on an invitation to orientation is a HUGE leap of faith.. I just don't want there to be anything that puts the brakes on my forward momentum if I can avoid it..

Stressful day but could not stop....

If you want to see what wind can do, check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-zczJXSxnw

Ernie

and the worse part about the Tacoma narrows bridge, was that the wind was only blowing about 30-35MPH..it was the oscillation that cause it to sway like that..

Off duty time and sight-seeing...

A lot of what you are asking depends on the company policy. You can pretty much do whatever you want on your restart as long as it isn't considered "work". Leaving your truck in a "safe haven" is usually required, that's why companies have terminals all over the US..I know some companies contract to share lots with other companies so just because you work for say Prime, doesn't mean you couldn't use a lot that Swift, Roehl, or Schneider might also use..

8 hour berth rule....

Let's say you get up after spending 10 hours in SB. You now have a full 14/11 hour clock. Then you go on duty..the time of day is irrelevant. So you go on duty and spend .5 hour doing your pretrip and then you start driving. You drive for 6 Hours and then stop. You have now been ON DUTY for 6.5 hours and have DRIVEN for 6 so you have 7.5 hours left on your 14 hour ON DUTY clock and 5 hours left on your 11 hour DRIVE clock. Now, if at this point you go into SB, both of your clocks STOP, and as long as you remain on SB for 8 CONSECUTIVE hours, you will still have 7.5 and 5 hours left at the end of 8 hours, which means that you can continue to drive for another 5 hours. Now once you use up those 5 hours you have to STOP driving. Your 11 clock is done, BUT you still have 2.5 hours left ON DUTY in case you have to do something else. At this point you MUST now spend at least 2 hours in SB to complete your 10 hour requirement. Once you have done that your ENTIRE clock resets and you have all of your daily hours available once again. One thing that sometimes confuses people is the 2 hour requirement to complete the rule..there is NOTHING in the rule book that says you have to spend ONLY 2 hours in the SB mode, you can spend MORE but you cannot spend LESS than 2 hours..hope this helps clarify this a little..if not let me know and we can try and do a tutorial via email.

Having a little fun with a flat-bed load

The other funny thing is I know EXACTLY where you were when you took that picture and I know EXACTLY where you were stopped when you saw that girl with the sign..let me guess, you were stopped waiting to turn left to go onto US 90 West...

Having a little fun with a flat-bed load

That was a GREAT story, buddy...hope to be up North is a few weeks and then onto Springfield for the 11th of March. good-luck-2.gif

Creating a parking spot

So that was YOU behind the Wawa...rofl-2.gifrofl-3.gif

Enjoying Prime

Mongo, what do you mean in your first paragraph when you say,

Make sure you have your dot self certified in plenty of time before getting here along with your learners permit. A lot of my classmates are having trouble and having to switch their permits to mo.

CDL - where do you get the actual license?

Some companies, like Prime and Swift, prefer you to have a permit before you attend their orientation. I think Prime required you to then transfer your permit to that state. Not sure about Swift. It's a simple matter of filing a transfer request, paying a fee and then getting a permit issued in that state..just like when you get your CDL.. you will get your CDL in whatever state you test for it, then transfer it to your home state. So, you live in Nevada, you take your permit test IN Nevada, then hypothetically, you go to school in Missouri, then you simply transfer your permit to Missouri. You will go to school/training in Missouri and probably test there for your CDL. Once you pass your CDL, you will get issued a state license, in this case Missouri, since that is where you trained. You would then take THAT license back to Nevada and pay a transfer fee and get it issued to you by Nevada.

Clothes for the road.....

When I was on the road with my buddy in November, we had a game we played called, "Don't be THAT GUY"...where we would see someone really bad and he would say, "When you start driving, DON'T BE THAT GUY"...shocked.png

Silly Mistakes ? Be Honest .

I accepted a pink/purple truck from Prime without even considering just how much I would get poked at by others.

We only tease ya cause we love ya... rofl-1.gifrofl-3.gif

Smart phone....I think.

Crap, I'm in trouble!!!

Thats for sure, brother...shocked.png

Laziness? Why don't people wipe off their lights?

a monkey doing "it" on the DOT bumper with a lot lizard

I just about spit on my keyboard when I read that...rofl-2.gif

Forced dieting.....

My grandfather was the same way..lost all of his teeth to PD when he was in his mid 30's but it had still ravaged his heart by then and we didn't know about that until he was in his late 60's and he died way too young at 75...