Comments By Dennis R.

https://gomotors.net/pics/Peterbilt/peterbilt-379-02.jpg avatar
  • Dennis R.
  • Comments:

Trying To Get On With Prime

Must be something on your record or app,that they dont like. They didnt call me back either. I laugh every time I pass their SLOW trucks, Trucking simulator...what a joke. Move on.

Please somebody help me with adjusting my mirrors.

If they ever issue me a truck without fender mirrors..I would have them installed. Shop manager said they are 1k to install...well worth it. Being a company driver,the company picks up the tab,but they are a neccessity. I never used them much in school...but they are a life saver now,

Pay

I figure next year,I should make 60k. The unpaid time is what hurts. 24-7,365 in a truck,for 60k? It seems at my age,(50), Its much harder,to find local work. I have a home and mortgage,so I need steady employment...just what trucking offers. Im willing to work hard and long..just wish the pay was a little better.

Trucking Companies with APU

All Celadon trucks have apu's, They don't usually work correctly. Won't last for your whole 10 hour break. Frowns on idling,like most companies,but if the apu batteries are drained,and its 110 degrees...how are you expected to get rest?

What size duffel bags to take when you're with a trainer ?

The grey dog charges for extra bags,and over 50 pounds,so,my checked bag weighed 48 pounds. Buy stuff once you get rolling,and use multiple small bags,rather than one heavy huge bag. Its easier to organize with multiple bags. One for clean clothing,one for laundry,a shower bag etc.

Truck Drivers In Cold Weather

My trainer was stuck on I80 for 3 days,when they shut the highway down. Drivers were knocking on doors,lioking for food and water...dont assume youll be rescued in a few hours..plan ahead.

Truck Drivers In Cold Weather

Not outdoors much,as a driver,but do need to pack long johns and food supplies,in case the truck breaks down. Hard to drive,with lots of layers,of heavy clothing.

Backing-up Anxiety

Had hardest back to date,in laredo,had to setup,nearly on the sidewalk,and back in off the main road,with heavy traffic...not fun. There was no other way to maneuver,around the fence and poles..,but..another delivery completed.

Sleeping in Truck

Never bothered me a bit,after 11 hours of driving,Im out in a few minutes.

Melton is hiring!

Love the color of their trucks...steel blue..but too old for flatbed work.

Parking a Truck In The Northeast

East coast sucks..unless you get paid hourly. Traffic,parking,tight docks,and narrow streets=losing money. Walmart is your friend for parking...just get there early. I only go east,to get loads out west..and Im on a team truck..in and out! East coast sucks period!

Is it always this rough?

Maybe truck drivers would get some respect if more people spent a few weeks in a truck doing otr. You pretty much have a snapshot of the life style. Wait until you get DOT'd...lol

D13 is idling high

Read your manual,there is usually a setting for idle,which can be controlled by using a combination,of the cruise control switches. This is used to build up air pressure in the brake system,and a few other uses.

Backing-up Anxiety

Experience should make backing easier,and smoother,as you do more of it. The secret is to set up correctly,and straighten your tractor tires and pivot trailer,while leaving room in the front of tractor,to make final adjustments.If you use the same basic setup,each time you back,and just need to make adjustments,to the special curcumstances,of the particular space. I like the challenge of a difficult back..but it took a while to get here.

Experiences in Gary, IN (safety)

Bring a cheap car and make a ton of money,giving everyone rides to walmart,circle k etc...not to mention the designated driver extra fees...lol

System clean..Starting at Celadon next week

Everything is pretty much,provided for you. Dont over pack,the dorm rooms are tiny. Make sure you have the correct birth certificate,with certified stamp,ss card,etc. Lots of people bring incorrect items.

Spate of shootings rattle drivers in Phoenix

Didnt know phoenix was ghetto..locked and loaded..thanks.

Relationship with a trucker

The mail man is going to be a happy guy.

Having Trouble Learning How To Backup

Basically most backs start with a hard right,so you can see where your trailer is heading.At some point,you will need to straighten the steer tires(two turns from lock),and pivot the front of trailer.From then on,when you pull up steer right,and backing,steer left. You always want to back towards the side you can see.It gets much easier with practice.

What kind of GPS are you using?

I love the basic Garmin nuvi..,basic navagation. Screen is easily readable. I hate my partners rand mcnally,constantly speed warning,curve warning etc.Hard to read with all the BS crammed on the screen.