Profile For Rob T.

Rob T.'s Info

IA

Experienced Driver

4 years ago

Rob T.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 day, 12 hours ago

MTI & Schneider Advice or Tips?

Welcome! The most important thing is going into both with an open mind. Do as your instructor or trainer tell you to and then if you don't understand why ask for clarification after doing as your told. You may want to repost this in the "general discussions " section of the forum, there is much more activity over there. Please stick around here and keep us updated on your journey and feel free to jump into the discussions.

Posted:  1 day, 14 hours ago

TMC CDL (in-house) training day 1

Thank you for giving us so much information. We've had a few people do diaries and then disappeared after they started with their trainer. MANY people are going to benefit from this diary. Hope your day doing PTI went well and you were able to stay warm.

Posted:  1 day, 19 hours ago

Help your fellow driver

Turtle I think it's great what you and your wife did for that other driver. It honestly doesn't surprise me at all from what I've seen here that you'd brave the elements to help somebody in need. In general everyone has gotten to be in such a hurry they refuse to help others out. 2 weeks ago I was in the truck and a car got tboned in front of me in a 45 mph zone. Nobody else stopped and I stuck around until EMT's showed up and police took my statement. Only injury was one person complaining of some leg pain. I manually had that event saved on my drive cam and informed my manager then told PD to contact him (gave his number) to get the video. It's extremely frustrating that everyone refuses to help each other out. There will come a time we're in need and will need help from others.

Posted:  2 days, 12 hours ago

Tractor Man is Back!

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had. Hopefully things continue to improve for you.

Posted:  2 days, 16 hours ago

Trying to ID year/model. Older rig.

I can probably help you, but recheck the link. It’s not working.

0716568001547929773.jpg this is pic they were adding. I Was able to pull it up on my phone.

Posted:  2 days, 17 hours ago

To Ease Your Mind About Winter Driving...

Okay, I tried again to upload my photo, and it just came out blank.

When you upload a photo you need to add a caption then press the Green "Go" button. Give it a couple seconds and it'll add the coding to the post which is your picture. Use Preview button to double check

Posted:  3 days, 16 hours ago

Bittersweet ending

Today was my last day with Performance Food Group after a year and a half. It feels good knowing that I'll no longer be unloading my truck by hand but it's also somewhat sad as I've become close to a few customers and genuinely enjoyed seeing them a couple times a week, or in the case of 1 customer 5 times a week.

There are some customers that I'm also EXTREMELY happy I won't need to deal with anymore. I've been quiet for the most part about a particular customer I dealt with 5 days a week for the last year that was a HUGE pain in the butt. In Altoona (just east of des Moines in I-80) across from the bass pro shop is a Facebook Data Center. Between dealing with security to gain access to their property and waiting on someone from the kitchen to let me into the building it wasn't uncommon at all to spend an hour there to unload 30 cases a day. Of course I was only scheduled 15 minutes so I'd be 45 minutes behind every day on that stop alone and it'd fall on me to get back ahead.

I'd addressed the issues but being that PFG also services the data centers located in Omaha and Chicago I was told to deal with it because they're too big of a customer for us in the grand scheme of things. My intention isn't to badmouth anybody by any means but the frustrations dealing with that customer played a large role in me looking elsewhere for employment.

I'll be starting with Perishable Distributors of Iowa (PDI) on Monday, delivering to Hyvee grocery stores in Iowa and the 7 surrounding states while still being home most nights. It's a big change for me to go from pulling a 53' as opposed to my PUP trailer I've primarily had, and using a electric pallet Jack to unload as opposed to my 2 wheeler. I'll be starting on weekends working Friday thru Monday (4 day work week) and will ultimately make just a tad less money despite earning $5.50 an hour more.

I'm extremely excited to get this underway after there were a few times it looked like it was falling apart. At my DOT physical I had a very strenuous lift test just before my exam so my BP was pretty high, barely got it below their threshold. Then I had to wait over 3 weeks because I'd just got my CPAP a week before my exam so I wasn't compliant yet. Last Monday I put my notice in to quit with PFG and the next day I got stuck in the mud at one of my stops requiring me to be towed out. PFG made it seem like it was going to be put as a preventable but after I called my manager and ultimately reached out to me union rep it ended up just going on my employee record, not my license. a couple days later PDI told me it's no problem as long as it isn't on my MVR.

Today (my last day) another driver, who also happens to be joining me at PDI a week after me, was told to ride with me. That's due to too many drivers giving notice and not showing up their last day so they wanted to ensure if I did that it was covered. We ended up getting done 5 and a half hours ahead of schedule and beat the approaching snowstorm!

I look forward to possibly meeting some of you guys out on the road if we cross paths!

Posted:  4 days, 11 hours ago

TMC CDL (in-house) training day 1

Thanks Solo for the detailed write up! I was in particular shocked when you said you lost more than 1/3 of your class thru the physical. What are people thinking before they travel all the way to training? Yikes!

Keep up the good work!!

People fail the physical for many reasons. Blood pressure too high, sugar in urine (diabetes), perhaps they have a hernia they weren't aware of, or even have medications they use that aren't approved by the DOT. Unfortunately some are also failed drug screens. Some conditions require you to see your primary doctor or a specialist and write a note saying your condition will not affect your ability to safely operate a CMV. Some company's also have a lift test (tarps) that they cant safely lift.

Posted:  6 days, 20 hours ago

New food tanker driver

You're getting such pushback from experienced drivers because tankers definitely are a whole different thing. You said you been driving a year and a half so I believe you'd have at least a bare minimum of safe driving practices. Members here care for seeing others be successful that's why they recommend staying away from tankers. Alot more things can go wrong on the road with a tanker. Truth is the same, or more money can be made pulling other types of freight/trailer that involve alot less risk. If you're overall happy with driving for dr pepper is there any way of switching over to a shuttle/linehaul position with them? Some people really love the idea of pulling a tank but others want to do it only because they THINK it pays more. If you decide to go that route I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Posted:  1 week ago

Passed my CDL

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif great job!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Broke down in SLC UT. 😢

That sucks! On the bright side your student will know how to handle a breakdown. Consider it part of the training smile.gif

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

TMC CDL (in-house) training day 1

I also look forward to following your journey. I'll tell ya things are going to get even more real soon! They're being nice to you and taking you in the back country roads first. We've had a couple other guys do a diary about their school and they'd mentioned they went onto Ankeny Blvd (which I'm sure eventually you'll see) their first day of driving. It isn't a terrible road by any means just alot of stop lights and in my experience they tend to drive like A**hats even more up there. Just curious are they training you guys with sticks or autos? Eventually they'll be taking you downtown Des Moines, it's easy to feel overwhelmed but remember they wouldn't take you there if they didnt feel you can handle it. I see tmc students every day and those I've talked to talk about how great it is.

Turtle says :

It isn't nearly as physical as I'd hoped however.

Plenty of jobs in food service.......smile.gif

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Got To Get A Sleep Study Done

How's the clap stuff going for you?

omg...I NEVER had the clap! rofl-3.gif

sorry couldnt resist

As far as the CPAP, ive been on it over a year. I still have never felt any positives from it that other people do. Who knew i would be an oddball??? lol

Hahahaha! I was going to make a comment about that too but figured I'd better not.....

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Fired for accident and not sure what to do.

they should be able to predict that requiring someone to stay awake for 18 hours straight followed by minimal rest time isn't likely to be safe.

That's on you. You knowingly violated HOS. You're given 10 hours off it's up to you to use it to be fit for duty. Not sure how long your commute is but maybe you need to find something close to home. I too am a local driver. On the 5 days a week i work many times I'm off just enough for my 10 hour break. In that time I have to commute (15 miles one way), shower, eat, sleep and try to play with the kids. Your company can not force you to violate HOS and if they try to it's your RESPONSIBILITY to report them to the DOT. What did they have you doing "off duty"? OTR drivers log their loading and unloading time as off duty.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Schneider vs us xpress

skip to about the 5 minute mark for the action

Sorry, I meant the 2 minute mark.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Schneider vs us xpress

The dollar accounts are all pretty much the same whether its family dollar, dollar general, dollar tree. I found a few videos on YouTube that don't seem to want to upload here. https://youtube.com/watch?v=FTjQqDB2A4A&t=204s . This is a video of a driver backing into a store. At least in my area most stores don't have docks instead your ramp goes into their door at back of door. Here's a "training" video https://youtu.be/ZvEjQtqfBgo . Skip to about the 5 minute mark for the action. Keep in mind after unloading you still likely have another stop which may require you to back in at a place similar to the first video. Also, you may very well want to unload that truck fast but you're relying on the store staff who are paid hourly and make less than you do so they may or may not be as motivated as you are. Notice in the video how high cases are stacked. Grab the wrong one and you'll have stuff falling on your head.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Rough day

Ended up only being 10 minutes behind at 2pm when I met up with the other driver for my final 6 stops. We finished my route an hour ahead of schedule and the customers were extremely happy, they were told I was 2 hours behind and my last stops wouldn't be delivered until 7pm. Last stop was off the truck just before 4pm. Future employer is surprised my current employer is listing as preventable and putting on DAC but it is what it is. They don't seem too concerned about it as there was no damage and no citation. This is the pic I took after trying to wiggle my way out. I didn't have far to go behind me, or to the driver side until the compacted dirt driveway but everytime I tried to move I dug in deeper. I tried using my curb ramp, a sheet of metal we use to roll up the curb rather than needing to pull the 2 wheeler up, to roll up onto with my drive tires but the truck was too deep and it didn't do any good.

This portion didn't have really any gravel which made this situation worse.

0563326001546993880.jpg

This was the aftermath of their yard after I got dragged out.

0780550001546993994.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Rough day

Talked to one of my managers about it, he said it goes down as preventable because I had to be pulled out by a wrecker. I left a voicemail with future employer informing them of what happened I haven't heard back yet. They ended up not sending me any help because they feel I can get back on schedule which I've made up about an hour after being behind 2 hours. One of the other drivers out of my yard told me he'll meet up with me in a couple hours after his route is finished. I'm surprised I haven't been told I need to go for a drug test. I'm not worried about passing one, I just figured they'd be sending me.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Rough day

I figure I'll give them a call later today and explain the situation in case my current company puts it on my DAC. I don't want them to believe I'm trying to hide anything. I took some pictures and at least there's no damage other than my pride. Thankfully they're sending someone from Rock Island out to give me a hand since I'll be behind schedule. They won't be here for another 3 hours but at least I'll get a helping hand. Definitely not going to allow it to distract me once I get moving again I've seen it play out here numerous times when someone focuses too much on a previous incident a larger one is bound to happen.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Rough day

Here I sit, 630 in the morning stuck in mud and requiring a tow out. I was scheduled for 13 hours and have to wait about 90 minutes for the tow truck. This particular customer is a catering kitchen that operates out of a building in their farm house. They have a gravel driveway and I figured as long as I stayed on the gravel I'd be ok. Despite having some rocks down, I lost traction while backing and slid into their grass. We had quite a bit of rain yesterday. I wasn't able to rock the truck out unfortunately so I'll have to be winched out. Really sucks, I gave my 2 week notice yesterday and now I'll have to call my future employer later today and explain what happened and see if they want to move forward as this was preventable.