Profile For Rob T.

Rob T.'s Info

IA

Experienced Driver

4 years, 6 months ago

Rob T.'s Bio

I obtained my CDL August 2017 and began my driving career as a local foodservice driver for Performance Food Group (PFG) out of Des Moines, Iowa. After roughly a year and a half I decided to hang up my 2 wheel dolly and take a job easier on the body. I currently deliver to grocery stores in Iowa and the 7 surrounding states

Posted:  4 hours, 50 minutes ago

What have you learned from Trucking Truth?

Brett said

They became convinced that the Government, the large carriers, and even we here at Trucking Truth were liars, con artists, and conspirators.

it's crazy how many members have been going "off the wall" lately. Especially when it comes out of no where, like the post that was made yesterday (and thankfully removed quickly). Regardless of what that person said, it has nothing to do with what is being taught here and having the time, or desire to find such information clearly shows they're focused on the wrong things. What I found quite ironic though is the post mentioned being ashamed of the advice of 2 members here and pretty much trashed the site but then still logged in several times (according to TT Tracker) over the coming hours. Hopefully not many seen it before it was deleted, as it was complete trash and not worth repeating. What's funny too is often times when people have left their large company for a smaller one all of a sudden megas are terrible. However, they fail to mention that because the size of their company the different opportunities they were afforded to find their "niche".

Brett and moderators thank you guys for creating, and keeping this a great environment where rookies and experienced drivers alike can continue to learn.

Posted:  20 hours, 49 minutes ago

Delivering to Grocery Stores

I enjoy taking long routes whenever possible because I get my hours in without sitting at several backhauls usually. For today i took a 608 mile run to Sioux City IA and Sioux Falls SD with 2 backhauls in SF. I was making great time until I ended up sitting for 4 hours at my first backhaul. We're told to call dispatch after 1 hour of waiting and they'll tell us to pull plug or wait for it. I made the mistake of not calling because everytime I went in to check on it I was told "almost ready, picking the last pallet", then dispatch called after 3 hours and the shipper said they'd be loading me in 30 minutes. They put the first pallet in within 30 minutes but waited another hour after that before I was finally loaded with my 17 pallets that were supposed to only be 12. They thankfully had "chimney stacked" the load, where they'll run one sideways and other straight in then alternate it so i could get 28 pallets in rather than 24. Turns out my other backhaul had 13 pallets rather than the 11 I planned on. Both backhauls were same company different location so they ended up unloading entire trailer and turning everything sideways to fit 30 pallets. By the time I was done with that backhaul I had 57 minutes left on my 14 hr clock so getting home wasnt an option. I found a Flying J truckstop on the north side of sioux falls which worked out great because I needed to scale and I'd been sent out in a sleeper cab today so I found a spot to sit for 10 hours. I informed dispatch I'd be laying over as required then called later to tell them where and what time I'd be back in Des Moines to run tomorrow's route as I'm scheduled to work tomorrow. The "latest" route we had was leaving at 230am and I'm not expected back until about 530am. The dispatcher told me come back as soon as my 10 hour break is up (midnight) and take the rest of the day off or do a couple drop at hooks at another one of our companies. Our chain has another subsidiary that specializes in health and wellness products and because of our proximity and lack of product that goes out it's more efficient for us to deliver it so we have probably 7 loads daily that we pickup and take back to our yard to deliver with our product. Round trip is 15 miles and takes about an hour for each run. I'm undecided yet what I'll do as I'll have plenty of hours for the week (48 or so ) plus about $300 for a vacation day i took for a total of $1700 for 3 and half days of work plus the vacation day. At the same time dispatch could have still had me run a load tomorrow which would likely result in another layover so it's only right that I help them as they helped me. I find it amazing how much more "free time" an OTR driver has for their 10 hour break. I've been accustomed to running off with my head cut off during my 10 hour break needing to do a ton of stuff . I was able to enjoy a meal at Dennys, talk to the wife and kids on the phone and only 2 hours went by. I love my job and dont plan on making any changes but this is nice and relaxing actually having my 10 hour break to rest and relax. Not dealing with the stress of finding a hotel with truck parking is also awesome.

Posted:  23 hours, 15 minutes ago

What have you learned from Trucking Truth?

There is way too much that I've learned, but one big one is dont splash in the puddles at a truckstop for many reasons. The moderators and experienced drivers here in this forum have provided so much help I'd never be able to repay them. It's unfortunate that lately drivers who got their start with the large carriers switch to a smaller company and act like their S*** dont stink. Despite the name calling, digging into personal lives of the very people who help get their careers going on the right path the group we have here continues to help anybody without asking for anything in return.

For that, I'm very grateful for all of you.

Posted:  1 day ago

First Year Solo done

Great job! Glad you enjoy what you're doing. Doesnt a daycab feel quite different than a sleeper?

Posted:  1 day, 22 hours ago

Tough local backing for a newbie

Here's one I noticed today when we bid our routes. I'll look at routes that are typically around when it's my turn to pick a route and Google map any backhauls I'm not familiar with. This place is a meat market in a small town of 140 people in MN.

0849440001563481240.jpg dock is in back alley at an angle.

0282323001563481361.jpg it looked like itd be a little tight getting in and out of the alleyway so despite the 2 stores I'd deliver to helping unload I decided to go to sioux falls and not deal with it, more hours this way anywayssmile.gif

Posted:  2 days, 7 hours ago

What carriers to consider?

I have sleep apnea and require a machine (can truckers use sleep apnea machines in the trucks?).

Yes there are many drivers who use their CPAP in the truck. The usage requirement is atleast 4 consecutive hours atleast 21 of every 30 days.

Posted:  3 days, 4 hours ago

Truck-mounted LED billboards coming under fire

One thing that caught my eye under the Don't list was

Hire any drivers under the age of 60

That's strange, any idea why that is?

Posted:  3 days, 20 hours ago

Rookie (or lazy) Loader

That's crazy weight distribution. I cant speak for everywhere, but the 3 different warehouses I worked in couldn't care less about how the trucks were loaded. They didnt even care if the load would put the truck overweight. They felt that was the drivers job and they'd come back if it was unsatisfactory.

Posted:  3 days, 21 hours ago

One year in the books

Are you happy with your choice to have began your career with Butler? Any plans on changing?

Posted:  3 days, 21 hours ago

Gauge weight SHIFTS?

If you have air brakes set then it will read more. Are you parked on flat land? Those gauges I've noticed aren't perfect but they get ya close enough until you find the nearest cat scale

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

One year in the books

dancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif

Way to go!

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

Get out of the truck and explore

Thanks for sharing the great pictures! That's awesome that you guys were able to go there. Its definitely a wonderful perk of being an OTR driver IF you're willing to just get out of the truck for a bit

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

Nicest driver lounge at customer you've seen

Incidentally, there was a HyVee daycab and trailer parked for the night at this Days Inn I’m camped out in here in Morris, IL, just across the street from the TA.

Surprisingly I've only seen 2 Hyvee sleepers. We have probably a dozen that the more senior guys take so they can get the real long runs and not deal with hotels. One of the top guys takes a sleeper to Omaha everyday just so he can nap on his breaks. Hyvee lays over more often than we do due to their locations. Must be cheaper for daycabs than sleepers. Personally I hate feeling stressed about where I'll stay in a hotel that I can get the truck in, we use an app (CLC Lodging) that we can filter to show truck friendly hotels in our network so when I'm bored I'll jump on there and "favorite" hotels in each direction we do.

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

Nicest driver lounge at customer you've seen

What is the 16 hour rule?

It is used for local drivers. There are conditions that must be met such as beginning and ending your day at the same location for 5 consecutive work days. It allows a driver to drive up to the 16th hour after you first went on duty but you CAN NOT go over 11 hours driving. You MUST make it back the same day if you use your 16. It can only be used once every 7 days unless you reset.

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

Nicest driver lounge at customer you've seen

The HyVee DCs I've delivered to have TV, tables/chairs, occasional chairs, showers, wifi, free coffee, tea, hot chocolate, vending, microwaves, free showers etc. The sad part is if you aren't a HyVee driver, you'll probably need all that because you'll be there a while.

It's nice when the customers give drivers these things but its unfortunate they're there long enough to utilize it. I'm not sure how long you've had to sit there or how long drivers sit at our yard but the industry as a whole does a poor job of getting drivers loaded and unloaded. I wonder if that's why so many places utilize outside carriers rather than using private fleets. Our drivers lounge is 1 small table with a couple hard, uncomfortable plastic chairs and a vending machine. I sat at Sysco in Olathe for 4 hours yesterday on a hard chair waiting to pick up 2 pallets going back to the manufacturer in NJ and finally got told to leave empty by dispatch. Made it back after 15 hours (used 16 hr rule).

For no extra charge you get to watch the raccoons dumpster-diving at night. Good times

Now I'm jealous. Everything you listed sounds great, but I think that is best thing they could offer!

Posted:  4 days, 21 hours ago

Nicest driver lounge at customer you've seen

I had a drop and hook at Tyson in Olathe KS today and noticed a driver lounge they had. There's had couches, tv, restroom and free showers, wifi and coffee. It wasnt anything extravagant but it's a good way to get out of the truck if you'll be there an extended amount of time, and to hear other drivers complain smile.gif0412957001563225941.jpg

What places have you delivered to that had a decent place for drivers to get out of the truck while waiting on a load?

Posted:  6 days, 3 hours ago

Doing The Happy Dance.. My sweetie is doing better

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing-dog.gifdancing.gifdancing.gifdancing.gif

That is a ton of great news! Glad to hear he's doing much better and congratulations on the engagement! That's awesome that west side is being so flexible with you, goes to show the extra perks top tier drivers receive

Posted:  1 week ago

Delivering to Grocery Stores

Sorry I quickly replied to other post and didnt exactly answer the question. The route I took from marshalltown to Waterloo was mainly 2 lane country roads until i got to Highway 20 in Grundy center west of Waterloo. Taking 20 to i35 is likely quicker even if you take 65 which runs diagonal straight to altoona due to lower speed limit.

Posted:  1 week ago

Delivering to Grocery Stores

Highway 20 is 4 lane from atleast sioux city to Waterloo, maybe even dubuque. Marshalltown is on highway 30 and its 2 lane for about 50 miles from Tama to cedar rapids

Posted:  1 week ago

ABF Driver Development Program Opportunity, Your thoughts .

P & D is one of the most difficult ways to get started in this job. What major city are you near that you'd be working in? Especially being a union job it's all seniority based and being low man guess where you'll be? You'll be sent most likely into the downtown area because the senior drivers dont want to deal with it. Most drivers OTR say they dont feel their backing was decent until 6 months in. You will get 1 month and be expected to back into narrow alleyways, block rush hour traffic and keep a level head the entire time. Hopefully someone with experience doing that work will chime in, but if you rack up multiple accidents don't be surprised if you're let go and have a hard time finding work.

I'm not trying to make your decision for you but I dont think it's in your best interest long term. I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I did similar but knowing what I know now, I dont know if I'd go the same route I did.