Profile For Rob T.

Rob T.'s Info

IA

Experienced Driver

6 years, 1 month ago

Rob T.'s Bio

I obtained my CDL August 2017 and began my driving career as a local foodservice driver for Performance Food Group (PFG) out of Des Moines, Iowa. After roughly a year and a half I decided to hang up my 2 wheel dolly and take a job easier on the body. I currently deliver to grocery stores in Iowa and the 7 surrounding states

Posted:  3 days, 5 hours ago

Just got a ticket

Hey Jammer any updates on this ?

Posted:  3 days, 5 hours ago

Camera's aren't the only way you're monitored

At Swift we have lane departure warnings (move over the white dashed line without a turn signal on will trigger a buzz-strip sound). Too many of them too fast will get you into the office because you must not be paying attention and wandering along the road.

Did that ring a bell, Rob?

we have the in cab departure warnings but as far as I know its not tracked as some drivers just use the button to disable it because "its annoying". If they just maintained their lane itd be a non factor. Our freightliners you can disable it until you turn the truck off, the Volvo and internationals have a 15 minute timer before it automatically enables again. At PFG I believe if you departed your lane twice within 5 minutes it sent that to the safety department.

I pulled up my logs and apparently it was "rolling stop" that is the other event they track.

Posted:  3 days, 5 hours ago

Camera's aren't the only way you're monitored

Last week I had triggered a hard brake event in my truck and received the "coaching" the company requires anytime we have a harsh event. Harsh events include rapid acceleration, hard brake, and stability (taking turns too fast) and I believe one other event that's escaping me at the moment. We do not have cameras in the truck but they still are able to monitor our driving other ways. Here is what was slipped in my locker

0931143001614210672.jpg

"Robert great safety score last week 99% only one blemish - a hard stop. Funny thing you were only doing 29 mph in a 50 mph so speed was not a factor. Not sure what happened. Anyways any questions let me know thanks (VP name withheld)"

They receive an email time stamped with what time this event occurred. They're then able to dissect my speed and speculate on what happened and give the driver an opportunity to discuss it. This is not meant to discipline a driver its meant to help avoid repeating it. They're able to break it down by every second leading up to and even see exactly where it happened on a map. There's a couple things I'm not sure about on that page but the basics is the time (printout doesn't show seconds), location, GPS coordinates and what my speed is. They hypothetically can see exactly where I'm at at any time and what my speed is. This particular day the road was shiny and I was unsure if it was wet or black ice. We had artic weather but I can't remember how cold it was that morning. After witnessing numerous cars running stoplights in the middle of the night in Omaha im much more cautious out there. There was a car that seemed to be going too fast and I didn't think they'd be able to stop so I was already going slower due to possible ice but also anticipating them failing to stop in time. Sure enough they didn't fully stop. That particular road has atleast a dozen stoplights from the interstate until I reach the store with a majority of them flashing yellow for me, while other traffic is flashing red.

They also provided a printout of the satellite view of the location but I forgot to snap a pic of that. I just wanted to share this because far too often someone refuses to work somewhere because they have cameras. Just because you don't have video recording your activity doesn't mean there isn't other technology being utilized to track unsafe behavior.

Posted:  3 days, 11 hours ago

Had a moment today.

Great job avoiding disaster Bobcat. Hopefully your load hadnt shifted too much in the process. How does ODFL handle camera events?

I had a note in my locker today for a hard brake last week due to actions of a car as well but ill be putting that into a different thread in a few hours.

Posted:  4 days, 8 hours ago

Considering ODFL as my first employer

A majority of linehaul runs occur during the night for numerous reasons. Personally i like starting my day around midnight. Its not the greatest for family life but its far less traffic and less stress. Most terminals also have daytime runs but its all based on seniority. It's difficult to say how long it'd take to land one but its likely several years at a minimum.

Steer clear of the P&D driver especially in your area. Many drivers, even experienced, hate going to that area of the country and they have the skill to safely do it. P&D as a rookie in any market is likely to result in accidents. Get enough of them and you'll be unemployed. Many reputable companies won't touch you if you've been terminated due to accidents and still inexperienced.

Hopefully Bobcat can chime in with ODFL specific info.

Good luck

Posted:  6 days, 5 hours ago

Starting a New Chapter with Wilson Logistics

dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif

Great job!

Are you staying with the same trainer?

Posted:  6 days, 7 hours ago

Thoughtfull.

The reason I’m going team with the flatbed is because the work will be easier and take less time as opposed to one person doing it.

How's that going to work as far as the driver who's supposed to be resting getting their 10 hour break? Will the other driver be doing work related duties while logged sleeper/off duty? Thats a huge no no if its caught.

Posted:  1 week ago

Roehl Transport - Hiring Process

Not a Roehl driver, but pre-covid you could be in class within a couple days. Now that class sizes are smaller it may take a couple weeks but your recruiter will be able to give you a solid answer.

Posted:  1 week ago

Thoughtfull.

Jammer (where'd you go!?) Mentioned that in his opinion flatbed will pay the best at W.E. The sliding payscale for dry van means that the shorter the run the higher CPM, while a high mile run will pay a lower CPM.

Posted:  1 week ago

Only have 6 months of OTR 5 years ago. What are my job prospects?

Use this link to Apply For Truck Driving Jobs. Most will require a refresher but you may get lucky and find someone that doesn't. Your experience in the past doesn't mean squat due to how long ago it is and neither does driving bus unfortunately.

If a refresher is needed most of the mega carriers will offer it in exchange for signing a contract. Also check out West Side Transport. If I'm not mistaken they don't require a refresher if you pass their road test.

Posted:  1 week ago

Record Texas Cold and A Few Other Things

Oh, and Walmart actually does sell fire extinguishers. I can't attest to product quality in that regard though. I can attest to a lot of damaged food items on Walmart shelves I've observed however. Cans of Campbell's soup with rust on the can tops. Many dented cans. Soiled milk containers. Spoiled produce.

Then why do you shop there if you're superior to Walmart?

What are you hoping to achieve here? You've been active today, the chronic fatigue must be resolved?

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Please fill out a form for my school project

Done!

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Made a rookie mistake

You didn't hit any railroad crossing gates, you were provided the wrong address,

I'm not sure what you're talking about my records clean, although the rail arm technically allegedly hit me.smile.gif . Plus I didn't need to cross those tracks. Not too far from there a couple months ago I came across a very bumpy crossing with 11 tracks by the railyard.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Made a rookie mistake

Long story short I was supposed to pick up a load of eggs on my way back from Omaha this morning but was told it wouldn't be ready for another 4 hours. It'd be ready at my 14th hour, roughly hour and a half drive back would be cutting it real close using up my entire 16. Dispatch made a deal with me to drop the trailer there and they'd have a guy run out there later to grab it. In return I'd need to run a couple minor in town things to help that guy. No big deal.....until they give me the wrong address!

The address I was given for one thing was 1800 Maury St in Des Moines.

0194327001613588373.jpg

I haven't been there before as its something done in the afternoon.. It looks tight but we drop trailers there all the time and the dock appears to be in the rear near parking lot. Well dumb me pulled in there before scouting it out to be sure due to the street being very busy.

0656407001613588459.jpg it turns out that's the office and the place I needed was across the street at 1801. Fortunately there was a jobsite across the street I was able to get backed into to get out without any crazy maneuvering. There was quite a bit of tracks through the snow banks that fooled me into thinking it was the right place.

I felt like a fool but atleast I didn't hit anything. Don't get in such a rush that you take shortcuts and cause yourself far more problems than you need to.

I also had 2 very brief minor freakouts wondering where my trailer went when I bobtailed back as its very rare I bobtail especially close to 100 miles embarrassed.gif

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Should I keep my CDL?

You struggled in many aspects to get to where you were, and then struggled all the way along with Western Express. You wanted to quit every time you had difficulties. But you didn't. The question is how badly do you want to drive? Swift trains thousands of brand new drivers and helps turn them into successful drivers. There's no reason YOU can't be another one of them. It all comes down to if you want it. One thing I noticed is you had multiple times you left school or had to get back home for "family emergency". Unfortunately as an OTR driver life goes on at home without you. It sucks to say but you can't expect them to get you home anytime something goes wrong.

With that being said. Take advantage of the offer with Swift. You'll be sent out with a trainer and pick their brain about everything you struggled with. Come here for what you're struggling with. You frequently mentioned being late because your trip planning sucks but you never asked for help with it. You seem to have been 1 foot already out the door even in school. If you need a routine you really need to try to get in doing linehaul somewhere. No trip planning just show up on time and drive until return back home (within HOS of course).

Keep the CDL active even if you choose not to make it a career. You never know what the future holds. Would you really want to spend another couple thousand for school again, and have to test out?

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

The Human Gestation Period of Mr. Curmudgeon

dancing.gif dancing.gif dancing.gif

Woohoo!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Need some advice...

Anne says

(ps: Marc Lee was Brian's student..idk if you've heard.)

oh wow. Are you able/willing to share details? It isn't to kick the guy while he's down but hopefully serve as a reminder to all of us what can go wrong out here. Marc went through a lot of trouble trying to get his career underway unfortunately.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Need Some Clarity

Take a look at companies that hire with DUI to see what companies policies are. Unfortunately you're going to end up taking a lower paying job than you were before but its a step in the direction you're wanting to go. Most are 3 years but glancing through real quick i seen Trans Am is 2 years. Prove yourself and your pay will likely go up.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Backing @ Specialty Mineral Inc

You've been driving for over a year and a half. At this point you should have enough understanding of how to maneuver the trailer to eventually get it in there. It doesn't need to look good, just get it in there without hitting anything. You'll likely surprise yourself by getting in there much easier than last time you went.

You can do it! You really don't want to start rejecting loads (if they allow it) because it's difficult. Thats a quick way to end up on the s*** list. Besides, it'll help you improve your backing even more.

Which address in Canaan is it? I tried to look it up and there's 2 addresses

Posted:  2 weeks ago

I need a new pair underwear (near miss)

Sorry about the confusion towards the end of last post I was trying cram it in as dinner was finishing up. He was following too close (in my opinion) but when the incident happened the tanker was in the process of moving in front of me, and the pickup hit near the tankers rear tires. Had he not been following too close prior he would've likely been farther back which would've given him even more time to stop. Although he didn't do anything wrong at the exact moment he chose the ditch what he did in the moments leading up to doing so I'd think this will result in a preventable for him. Regardless, I feel everyone involved handled the situation the best way possible at the moment it began. Had any of us made drastic moves, this could have ended much different.

Its been a busy day and now that I'm getting ready for bed I went back through it and gosh my thoughts were all scrambled hahaha! Long story short things change REAL fast out here, in ways you don't expect (as Old School pointed out)