Profile For Rob T.

Rob T.'s Info

IA

Experienced Driver

4 years, 4 months ago

Rob T.'s Bio

I obtained my CDL August 2017 and began my driving career as a local foodservice driver for Performance Food Group (PFG) out of Des Moines, Iowa. After roughly a year and a half I decided to hang up my 2 wheel dolly and take a job easier on the body. I currently deliver to grocery stores in Iowa and the 7 surrounding states

Posted:  6 hours, 23 minutes ago

A walk on the ‘Darkside’ - working for a small company

Have things gotten any better Ldrship?

Posted:  7 hours, 52 minutes ago

From Recruiter to Driver... Maybe?

Welcome! Sorry this topic has been overlooked! Short answer to your question is you cant go wrong with any Paid CDL Training Programs. You can Apply For Paid CDL Training at numerous carriers with that one simple application. We have members here from many different companies that are happy where they are. I'd suggest posting this same post over in the "general discussions" section as there is much more activity there. We only have a few female members and usually they're so busy on the road they dont have much time to swing by this section. Dont be afraid, we dont bite smile.gif

Posted:  8 hours, 55 minutes ago

Can "Mere Mortals" Do Well (Even Excel) At Trucking?

Thanks All!

SOooo...

Yes... No... Maybe!

I get it!

smile.gif

Anybody can be successful at this if they want it bad enough. They must be willing to put in the time to find the ways to be most successful and always have a moment to reflect on what they did and how they can improve. Most people here agree that every day you learn something new.

The mentality of you've done well at what you've put your mind to may be a blessing or a curse. It's easy to be too hard on yourself if it takes you longer than you feel it should. Just remember : the most important thing every day is being safe and not hitting something. Loads can be rescheduled.

Posted:  9 hours, 18 minutes ago

Can "Mere Mortals" Do Well (Even Excel) At Trucking?

I am average at best at every pretty much everything i do. My terminal manager and driver manager both said they forget I work there until they see me for my monthly video watching.

I'm with ya there bobcat and I like it that way. The only time I really interact with anybody in the office is in passing (good morning, howre you doing today, etc.) Or if I call asking if they have any busy body work if I have a short day. Staying off their radar is exactly how I like it. Most days I want to be just left alone to do my work. If I need anything we have a tremendous amount of support in the office, as well as numerous drivers I interact with when logging in that are only a phone call away. Other drivers encouraged me to exchange phone numbers in case I'm having trouble staying awake to give em a call and chat, although a short nap is more effective.

Posted:  11 hours, 40 minutes ago

Falcon Transport

You guys are reporting seeing Falcon TRAILERS - are they being dragged by Falcon TRACTORS?

My question is are they sure it's the same Falcon? I believe it was Raptor who had posted a couple days after the shutdown he talked to a driver who drove for a different company also named Falcon that was not affiliated with the one that shutdown

Posted:  2 days ago

Leaving For School On Midnight May 4th

Nice work Doug, feels great doesnt it? We're all pulling for ya!

Posted:  2 days ago

SpriMo Bound for Prime Orientation... Anyone Else?

Hang in there, try to get as much rest as possible. Things will get better.

Posted:  2 days, 4 hours ago

One more thread on losing weight.

I'm a lot older than you but I know I can do the job that you do with the pallet jacks.

Really the job is pretty easy. I'm not too big on the cedar rapid stores because most are tighter to get into and you can make it back before needing a 30 min break (no $$) but overall it's not too bad. If grocery delivery is something you're interested in we're based in Ankeny off Delaware and Oralabor behind old Chicago strip mall. We dont share the same name as the Grocery store (not fareway) but we're owned by them and follow many of the same policies. Everyone starts on the Friday-Monday shift and pays $30 an hour for all hours (no ot pay) due to working sundays. Expect to do weekends a few years it's really rare anyone quits but if you dont work sundays pay is $21.50 I believe with 50 cent raise every 6 months until top pay is reached which I believe is currently $27 hr and pays OT. Routes are bid daily on seniority so you wont know where you're going or what time you start until about 3pm the day before. Could be 10pm for Mankato MN or Fitchburg/Madison WI or as late as 330am for Omaha. We cover iowa and 7 surrounding states with a total of about 250 stores I believe. ton of stuff to Minneapolis, Kansas city, Omaha, Quad Cities. Nearly all routes are home daily. Not sure if we're currently hiring but they also take people on as part-time you only need to be available for dispatch once per month as a way of getting your foot in the door which you dont need to give them certain days. you will receive a text anytime they're short drivers and to call if you can help. I had to go through a physical capabilities test where I had to lift at minimum 90 pounds repeatedly. It's rare to lift heavy boxes it's usually due to pallet being too tall to fit in coolers which usually just means downstacking maybe 5 cases of lunchmeat cheese or yogurt which only weigh maybe 10 pounds. Made us lift 90 in the off chance a meat pallet is stacked too high or falls over. Several of our guys are in their 60s and I believe even 70s so age isn't a factor. We don't offer a sign on bonus but in my 4 days a week I average 48-50 hours and make roughly 1500 gross a week before any quarterly bonuses which usually is 10-15%of your earnings for that quarter due to being "employee owned". If it's something you're interested in I can keep an eye on job openings and let you know if anything opens. I'd be willing to put in a good word for you. Looking at the preview I sure feel like a recruiter now jeez! I'm not looking for a referral just genuinely love where I work. Otherwise it's a bit of a drive but Fareway in Boone has been hiring quite a bit.

Posted:  2 days, 4 hours ago

One more thread on losing weight.

Junkyard that's awesome keep up the great work! I've been dealing with my weight a bit lately too. My eating habits for the last 5 years or so have been terrible although it hasn't negatively impacted my weight due to jobs being physical labor. I've been at my current job for about 5 months now and the extent of my physical labor is unloading my truck with an electric pallet jack. In the first 3 months I gained 15 pounds and it's been much harder to drop it than it was to gain it. We got a YMCA membership that i use the 3 days I'm off a week but my problem is not eating the greatest, not sleeping enough when I work, and too much diet pop/soda. I'll definitely be using some of the advice in this thread.

Posted:  3 days ago

Prime Inc TNT students will see increased mileage requirements in training

Thank you both (and any other trainers here) for helping train and fine tune new drivers skills. I love helping people but would find it difficult having somebody else in such a small place. Regardless of how well you get a long after so long personalities are bound to clash. I wonder if prime will stick with this plan or go to something like CR England and Pam had where 2 new drivers were forced to team together for the first 3 or 6 months. I'm sure the lease trainers love this change. It will be interesting to see if this impacts the amount of students coming in

Posted:  3 days, 6 hours ago

Lone Wolf: An Introduction and a Thank You

good-luck.gif I hope if you have time you'll keep us updated how things progress. If you're too busy we completely understand! One piece of advice many students that have gone through the process have mentioned is try to get everything done ASAP. They've mentioned many students slack and then it's a mad dash at the end to finish simulators and computer based training.

Posted:  3 days, 12 hours ago

MY TROUBLES

I'm glad you're not giving up. The school won't give you additional time or attempts to pass? The school I attended (160 driving academy in Moline ill.) Gave students 3 tries to pass before kicking them out. In my area there are some companies called something like "1 day CDL". They will give you about 6 hours of instruction and then allow you to use their equipment to test. I believe they're about $300 though.

Although you didnt pass your test will you still receive your 160 certificate from the school? Without that certificate it will be difficult landing a job.

Posted:  4 days, 2 hours ago

Delhi SAPA plant

Rob how do I turn that on? I thought it was on by default.

In the sidebar go to GPS tracker. You may need to update it manually initially I'm not sure. Mine updates automatically but I believe I had given it permission to. Hopefully Brett chimes in how to make it update automatically when you're active on site.

Posted:  4 days, 2 hours ago

Delhi SAPA plant

Oh it's gonna happen Millionmiler.

Spaceman and I didn't have a lot of time together, but I noticed his trainer seemed to be doing a great job with their load. There's a lot of great flat-bedders out here and it looks like Spaceman hooked up with a good trainer.

I've got to say though, I'm the lucky one. This forum has enabled me to make some very good friends out here that I would not have been able to connect with as easily or conveniently. I hope to run into Spaceman again sometime, and I also hope to meet you Mr. Millionmiler, that would be awesome.

I most definitely would be honored if that would happen. 😜

Millionmiler you should allow your location to be shared on GPS tracker. I would love to meet you and maybe our paths would cross. Next time you're in CR let me know, I could either try to get a route up there or I'd be willing to drive my car up there from des moines.

GPS tracker is awesome, I met up with Rainy the other day and just missed old school (he fueled at truck stop 4 miles from my house). I've been in CR while Susan is at the terminal but figured I'd get in trouble entering their property knocking on doors at 3am.

Posted:  4 days, 4 hours ago

Good week!

That is awesome! Hopefully you have many more weeks like this.

Posted:  4 days, 5 hours ago

Energy drinks

Only energy drink I've ever had was a 5 hour energy when they first came out. I'd never had any issues with my heart except for when I took it. It seriously felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest. I drink quite a bit of diet pop (Yeah, its pop NOT SODA!!!) but have been trying to switch to water and coffee instead. Only problem I have with water is needing to pee more often. Sure diet soft drinks dont have sugar, but their sugar substitutes arent good for you either.

Posted:  4 days, 8 hours ago

Living in the Truck

as soon as I can claim she is crazy

obviously shes crazy. Shes a woman and related to you rofl-2.gif

Posted:  4 days, 9 hours ago

Swift new recruits

The Coca Cola account doesn't pay bonuses, but the pay is considerably more.

What do you mean pays more? More CPM? Usually if a certain account pays quite a bit more it's due to lower miles.

Also, I know you keep bringing up the coca cola account. Was that an account that had been offered by a recruiter? The longer you take to get going the less likely it will be available once you get going. I understand this is a big decision but you just gotta jump in if you want this. There are a few of us here that kept putting it off. It took me 3 YEARS hanging around this forum before I finally took the leap and I kick myself in the ass all the time for waiting. Are you currently in school? Paid school or private?

Posted:  4 days, 12 hours ago

I really need advice about my future

Everybody else gave you real excellent advice so I'll just comment on this:

Even, worse... God forbid if I lose my job... I've driven nothing but, automatics since joining the fleet. My license says I can drive manual but, I can't...

That's not much of a problem, nearly all the major companies are transitioning to a fully auto fleet. Many are already there. There are companies such as Old Dominion (LTL) that are sticking with manuals but they're one of the few I'm aware of.

Matt one thing you've probably noticed is once you start feeling like you're on top of the world or get too complacent is when bad things happen. Please stick around the forum. We're not here to judge you. If you're having problems let us help. That's what we're here for. What's done is done, learn from the mistakes you've made but dont focus too much on the past as its bound to take your attention off what you're doing and result in a serious accident. We see this play out quite frequently here. If you're having trouble with this new companies policies or understanding the way they do things please post the company you work for. We have members that have found success at a wide variety of companies and are more than happy get you to that point. If you're worried about being able to be identified based on company or anything you say change your name. This site is a wealth of knowledge and our members are more than eager to offer assistance.

Posted:  5 days, 3 hours ago

Living in the Truck

We have a few members here who do it and in Brett's book he talked about how he did it. Its no different than what you were doing. The only difference is if you work as much as you want then request home time for somewhere you'd like to go. In a different thread turtle mentioned this summer he will be taking home time at the SLC terminal and renting a car to check out Yellowstone. I would love to do that however I have a wife and 3 young kids at home so OTR would be difficult for me emotionally. I give credit to all those who leave their families behind to support them out of necessity.

On the other hand, when she eventually gets sick of my S>/] and leaves me I'll have no choice as child support and alimony would destroy me rofl-2.gif