Profile For Rob T.

Rob T.'s Info

IA

Experienced Driver

4 years, 2 months ago

Rob T.'s Bio

I obtained my CDL August 2017 and began my driving career as a local foodservice driver for Performance Food Group (PFG) out of Des Moines, Iowa. After roughly a year and a half I decided to hang up my 2 wheel dolly and take a job easier on the body. I currently deliver to grocery stores in Iowa and the 7 surrounding states

Posted:  6 hours, 7 minutes ago

Help Me Find The Best Stories From Our Training Diaries

Can't remember dude's name. Wonder whatever happened to him?

Paul. I dont currently have time to find his diary but I dont believe he still posts despite having gone back to prime.

Now that i got checked into my hotel I found it. Paul's diary page 7 he talks about what Splitter mentioned

You must've submitted your comment at the same time I'd posted the link for it =)

Posted:  9 hours, 16 minutes ago

Help Me Find The Best Stories From Our Training Diaries

Can't remember dude's name. Wonder whatever happened to him?

Posted:  10 hours, 2 minutes ago

Help Me Find The Best Stories From Our Training Diaries

Can't remember dude's name. Wonder whatever happened to him?

Posted:  17 hours, 30 minutes ago

Anyone around Drive for Pride Transport

Curious what the negatives are of reefer work?

Reefer drivers tend to have more appointment times in the middle of the night, compared to dry van or flatbed, that require you to flip flop your clock a bit. Reefer has extra work by ensuring it's running correctly and fueled. Many food distribution centers take forever to load or unload. I've heard of drivers sitting in a door despite them being there on time and got a 34 hour reset waiting to be loaded.

The upside of reefer work though is that you get more coast to coast runs as everyone needs food. You also dont need to worry about lack of freight as you can keep reefer off and haul dry van loads.

Posted:  1 day, 6 hours ago

Houston Community College CDL school

Glad to hear from ya. I've been out of the food game about 2 months now and do not miss it. Now the extent of my physical labor is lifting maybe 10 cases a day because pallet was too tall. I also gained 10 pounds in the first month before I started eating healthier and exercising. Whatever you do be sure you're always lifting properly. My body feels much better now that I dont do it but I still have some aches from the time I spent doing it. My suggestion is to save as much money as you can . The risk of injury is higher than most jobs and I'd hate for you to run into major financial trouble due to a work injury as you only make 2/3rds of your income. Please keep us updated!

Posted:  1 day, 15 hours ago

Drivers lounge

She is going to strike you 10 times across the bottom with a leather strap. You are to count with her!

Remember, the SAFE word is OKLAHOMA!

Posted:  2 days, 13 hours ago

What is the strangest thing you've seen?

When I first started driving my trainer and I were doing our pre trip (3am, very dark) when he seen what he thought was a raccoon. It appeared to do that curiosity thing that cats do, step forward and Bob its head up and down. He told me quickly get in the truck as he thought it had rabies. I turn to look and it's a damn plastic bag dancing in the wind rofl-2.gifrofl-2.gif

Posted:  2 days, 16 hours ago

Help Me Find The Best Stories From Our Training Diaries

if you know of some cautionary tales, definitely put em here

off the top of my head I can recall Professor X topic 23760 and Misty/Nighthawk Topic 22352.

Maybe include something about how Danielsahn handled breaking contract with swift? He had unforeseen circumstances and handled his departure professionally and wasn't trying to find a loop hole to not make him financially responsible. He also expressed how grateful he was for the opportunity given to him, and didnt bad mouth swift when they parted ways.

Posted:  2 days, 23 hours ago

Help Me Find The Best Stories From Our Training Diaries

I cant recall if Robert D (Raptor) had done a diary but he had an great story. To go from being seriously injured in a bike accident and overcome all the obstacles he faced to get back into driving is incredible. Faced with the same situation I'm sure many people would give up.

Posted:  4 days, 6 hours ago

Testing out to go solo

Grumpy how is your body holding up?I know in training you dealt with a lot of pain .

Posted:  4 days, 14 hours ago

Signed on with McElroy Truck Lines -- Starting School March 4th

Way to go!

Posted:  5 days, 10 hours ago

Why would anyone park like this?

If its overflow for stores he probably felt that was a better choice as he would be blocking the drive lane if he tried to park in spots designed for cars.......

Posted:  5 days, 13 hours ago

Thinking of Packrat...

Still herr. They lt me finally wake up a half hour ago. Had the longest nap ever had since Sun. More to come. Thanks for all prayers from folks means a lot

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  5 days, 14 hours ago

Move over for ALL stopped vehicles

Unfortunately yesterday on i80 in des moines a man lost his life. His vehicle was in the breakdown lane and he got out of the vehicle as a truck passed him. This driver now has to deal with knowing he killed this guy although it clearly wasn't intentional. One thing I was taught early on is the law says move over for emergency and maintenance vehicles on the shoulder. I was then told that always move over (if safe to) for ALL vehicles on the side of the road. You never know if there's anybody in that vehicle that may get out like this incident. Ive been on the side of the road broken down and its F'ing terrifying to have someone blow past you doing 70 mph. Could also be somebody dealing with a mental health crisis that is looking to end their own life. I honestly dont think I'd be able to continue driving if something like that happened to me.

Posted:  5 days, 17 hours ago

Called a driver complaint in

how much time are you really saving by driving like that?

You really aren't. Our trucks are governed at 70 and rarely do i run against it. I prefer to run about 65 and have that 5 mph cushion should I need it to pass someone. Most trucks on the road are governed around 65 so I potentially only catch them on hills. The days I have ran against it's usually due to a 650 mile run or inclement weather that affected me earlier in the day. I've noticed at the end of the day I find myself a lot more stressed, and more exhausted. One day me and another driver were coming back from Minneapolis, roughly 230 miles. I was doing 70 and he did 65. He pulled into our yard just as I set my breaks after getting backed into my spot. In theory It makes it seem like your going to get there much faster but you gotta remember slower vehicles are going to get in the left lane to pass someone going 1 or 2 mph slower than them and that'll eat up 5 minutes if driver in the right lane doesnt ease up on the pedal.

Also, since I have learned the 8 second rule for following distance, how can you maintain that in a city?

I don't deal with traffic too often as my current job is good at scheduling us early enough so we're out of the big cities by rush hour and headed back to the yard. When I was doing food service I dealt with rush hour headed into downtown des moines every day. What I did was drive 5 to 10 mph under the speed limit. Sure people will get mad and get into your "safe zone" but they'll be out of it very quickly. When I first started driving I was afraid of being an inconvenience to other motorists but I overcame that by knowing the speed limit doesnt mean you need to do that amount, and our career and livelihood depends on us operating our vehicle in a safe, professional manner.

Posted:  6 days, 5 hours ago

Screen photos

Bruce what type of phone do you have so we can better assist? With my Samsung galaxy's I've had I hold the button that takes me to the home screen and the power button at the same time.

Posted:  6 days, 11 hours ago

Regrets

I'm sure Prime would love to have you back if you decide to go back to driving. The nice thing about trucking is there's so many options for drivers. Roehl for instance has a variety of home time options 7 on 7 off, 14 on 7 off. Etc. Downside is you're not making money sitting at home. I personally wouldn't be able to be out for a month or more at a time at this point.

Posted:  1 week ago

CPAP Cleaner Question

how big is this So Clean machine?

0597742001552932187.jpg

Posted:  1 week ago

Wash those hands frequently

Plus the fact that at least 90 percent of Truck Drivers are complete #$@&*! SLOBS!

Stopped at the Pilot in Kearney MO this morning, seen a guy come out of a stall, cupped hands together in the sink and drank from it. Then he left. *PUKE*!!!!!

Posted:  1 week ago

Truck comparison

With my current company we have daycab FL, internationals, KW, but a majority are volvos. The volvos are by far my favorite to drive. Turn radius is much better than other brands we have. Internationals seem a lot more cramped and not sealed very well. I'm sure the rubber seals on windows are wearing away but in the 4 internationals I've driven of ours all had the same problem. Gets noisy going down the highway from the wind and gets chilly quickly. KW is nice but the mirrors seemed so small. FL mirrors are a little small as well, and I'm not too big on the shifter being a little knob on the steering wheel. Either way I'll drive whatever is assigned to me as I'm not the one paying for it.