Profile For Rob T.

Rob T.'s Info

IA

Experienced Driver

5 years, 8 months ago

Rob T.'s Bio

I obtained my CDL August 2017 and began my driving career as a local foodservice driver for Performance Food Group (PFG) out of Des Moines, Iowa. After roughly a year and a half I decided to hang up my 2 wheel dolly and take a job easier on the body. I currently deliver to grocery stores in Iowa and the 7 surrounding states

Posted:  1 day, 13 hours ago

Any 88M's out there that can recommend the best school/company to work for with previous ARMY experience?

FYI CRST is teams only, meaning your wife can't ride with you unless she also gets her CDL.

Posted:  1 day, 15 hours ago

Thank you for your service. Your experience with military rigs may not be looked at as experience depending on the company but it will benefit you while in school. Don't worry about not having experience in a manual, most large carriers are running a fully automatic fleet. If the school teaches it by all means take your test in a manual so it opens more doors down the road.

Not having a valid license is likely to cause some problems. Have you considered going through a Paid CDL Training Programs instead and saving the GI money? This way you don't dish out the money for school and not be hired due to not having a valid license for a set amount of time.

I highly recommend you go through some form of training on the road. With that being said, the only company that I'm aware of that gives you your own keys right after orientation is Trans am. They tend to pay lower than other carriers from what I've seen mentioned on this forum. Would it be possible to go through a 2 to 3 week training period and have your wife stay in a hotel during that? It would open many more doors and likely pay better.

Posted:  1 day, 15 hours ago

Moving CDL to a new state!

Welcome to the forum!

Unless things have changed recently it's as simple as going into the DMV and transferring like a regular license. However, ILLINOIS requires you to do the state exam if you're moving to Illinois. Tennessee you'll be good

Posted:  4 days, 8 hours ago

Driver appreciation week

It ended up taking an additional 2 hours to get the 1 pallet I was picking up. Total time spent there was about 5 hours, the other 2 pickups each had me out within 15 minutes of arriving, including checking in and out. By the time I clocked out I had 18:07 today. Definitely not a route I wanna take again unless I want to stay out overnight after the declaration is over.

Our management slipped a 6 in 1 tool in our lockers and a $15 gift card to our grocery chain. I received an email this afternoon we get our vacation time on the 27th for the year, just shy of 4 weeks! I gotta work saturday - monday then I'm off for a week woohoo!

Posted:  4 days, 13 hours ago

Driver appreciation week

Doesn't take that long if you do it yourself.

smile.gif

I've unloaded plenty of times myself and it definitely gets done quicker. Unfortunately nearly everywhere I've done it no longer allows us on the dock due to covid. They didnt even need to downstack anything just take the 8 pallets off. Charged me $60. Atleast they didnt charge me over $400 like Sysco last week for a couple pallets.

Posted:  4 days, 18 hours ago

Driver appreciation week

I showed up to my first 3rd party delivery this morning and was given a ball cap, sunglasses visor clip, and a reusable shower bag. Real nice gesture but maaaaybe instead of doing all that they could get us out of here quicker smile.gif . 3 hours to unload 8 pallets, then have me pull out of the door and need to check in for my pickup now I'm waiting on a door for that. I also have 2 other pickups I need to do then drive back from Minneapolis. Brightside is I got a nap in. I definitely needed that, it's looking like it'll be a 17-18 hour day. Emergency declaration for Covid was extended for us until the end of the year so atleast I'll make it back home tonight.

Posted:  4 days, 23 hours ago

Im sure its been asked countless times lol

I completely understand where you're coming from about being cautious. If they got rid of rookies for having minor backing accidents they'd have a much higher turnover. One of our highly respected members here had ripped off their tandems at the fuel pumps while training. She has since gone on to have a huge positive impact on future drivers here, highly respected by everyone at her (same) company, and even has a YouTube channel to further assist new drivers. If they simply cut her loose due to an accident they'd have done us all a huge disservice. Keep in mind all accidents are treated differently. The accidents rookies have are typically cutting a corner too sharp or backing into something. In the grand scheme those tend to be less expensive than other types. The biggest thing these companies want is for you to learn from it. If you talk to safety and try to blame the way they parked, your trainer not being there, it raining or god knows what else you may find they may decide to fire you. Roll overs, hitting overhead objects (low bridge), rear end collisions and using hand held devices while the vehicle is in motion almost always result in immediate termination. Many people here have said that rookies are not the most dangerous drivers on the road. They may have more minor incidents but the experienced drivers between years 2 and 5 tend to have more devastating incidents due to pushing themselves too far or getting too comfortable and let their guard down.

Posted:  5 days, 3 hours ago

Hotshots running like the big boys.

I couldn't care less about what other drivers are doing, whether hotshot or other big trucks, as long as they're not engaging in unsafe driving behavior. I see a fair amount of hot shotters being inspected, but then again I see alot of semis and dump trucks as well. It's rare I see any large carriers being inspected, typically it's the smaller companies that appear to have older, not as well maintained equipment

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

Where ive been at whats been going on

You've sure had one heck of a year Moe! Hang in there, let us know how it turns out. Good luck, I hope it turns out the best as possible for you and your family.

Posted:  5 days, 9 hours ago

Im sure its been asked countless times lol

if you average out at 2500 miles a week if it counts that way training should potentially take someone no longer than 20 weeks. 10 if they count total miles for the truck with team driving.

It counts all miles the truck is moved. That includes your miles AND the trainers miles. Keep in mind the 50,000 may be extended if you have any accidents. Also depending on the circumstances any critical events such as hard braking or taking turns too fast may result in extra miles being added.

Prime is a very solid choice and many members here have began their career, and stayed there after their contract. In fact at one point so many members here drove for Prime it seemed like this was a Prime drivers forum smile.gif

Posted:  5 days, 14 hours ago

Changing jobs I have question.

Rob T. When it comes to being asked if I’ve ever been issued a card for less than 2 yrs on the long form it’s simple I just say yes my first card because it’s actually for a year due to I’m type 2 diabetic. So I wouldn’t technically be lying.

The doctors submit paperwork to the FMCSA. If you're willing to risk steep steep federal penalties to get around a sleep study that's your choice. We teach best practices but at the end of the day you're responsible for your own actions. If it's something you're ok with then by all means do so.

Posted:  5 days, 18 hours ago

Changing jobs I have question.

You're required to register the 3 month card. The previous card becomes invalid even if it was for 2 years. There is a paper trail and in the event something major happens it will be discovered. You're also asked on the long form if you've ever been issued a card for less than 2 years. It's a federal offense if its determined you knowingly lied on it. Could you get away with it? Maybe, but personally I don't think it's worth the gamble.

We have a member that had plenty of time left on their medical card. They went for a physical to switch to jobs and determined they had diabetes that wasn't under control. They were denied a new medical card and were immediately ineligible to drive. Any time you get a new physical you must update it with the state. In Iowa, all I do is send them a scanned copy of my medical card to an email found on the DMV page and then check my license status about a week later to ensure it was updated correctly.

Posted:  6 days, 6 hours ago

Should I wait, and what should I expect?

Definitely look at the links Delco Dave sent. Also when the time comes you're going to be pretty limited on companies giving you an opportunity. A vast majority of carriers require drivers to be 23 due to insurance requirements despite federal law allowing you to drive interstate at 21. DO NOT dish out money for a private school to obtain the same license you can get through Paid CDL Training Programs. With many of these programs your schooling is free if you stay with them for 1 year rather than spending $8,000 or more and risk not being hired due to your age. I wouldn't worry too much about the work history especially with you being a college student however some will turn you down for it anyways. Some companies such as Prime Inc. Are much more picky about who they bring on. Don't allow a couple rejections stop you from getting started. You can use this link to Apply For Paid CDL Training and it will send a single application to several companies. Don't do it until you're ready to start otherwise they'll make you redo it when the time is closer. They typically need an application that's been filled out within the past 30 days.

If you study the high road and pretrip guides Dave sent you'll be far ahead of your classmates. Good luck, please stick around and keep us updated how things end up going.

Posted:  1 week ago

Skills will be tested tomorrow

Hopefully, maybe they'll have social distancing....Every other dock?

rofl-3.gif

My appt isnt until 10am but I should be there by 0600. Reviews said they're really fast unload and first come first served. It should only be about 5 pallets. I really hope i can get in and out quickly, my next stop is a drop & hook on the edge of downtown and that's another tight one getting in to. It was either take this day I hope to get 14 hours out of or a piddly 8 hour day.

Posted:  1 week ago

Skills will be tested tomorrow

I took a load to Lincoln NE with a couple 3rd party pickups and deliveries in Omaha. One of which is Reinhart. Looking at google it didnt look too bad, nothing too out of the ordinary.

0772332001600029216.jpg

Well after I chose it I'm reading the reviews and theres a ton of people saying it's much tighter than it look by about 50% and several people talking about someone hitting their truck and don't even try it if you're given a door between 2 trucks. There's even a review from a guy who previously drove local in Omaha and says it's the worst dock in the city, and only place he had worse is downtown chicago or New York. Hopefully when I show up tomorrow I'm given a dock with plenty of space or these reviews are fake smile.gif Atleast I'll have a little more room having a daycab. If other drivers do it there's no reason I can't. It's all about G.OA.L. as needed and keeping focus and composed.

Slow and steady wins the race....

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Finding a new job with a preventable accidents on my record

Hopefully, this does not offend anyone I was giving my honest thoughts on the matter.

I wouldn't worry about that as long as you do it in a respectful way. It's a far too often occurrence someone will come in here with an elaborate story of how something happened but leave out important details or fabricate certain parts. What they don't realize is the advice we're giving for their particular situation becomes worthless because we advise someone based on what we're told.

We all make mistakes and many of us share our goof ups to help others learn from them. If you're not willing to admit when you're wrong and find ways to avoid repeating it you're going to have a rough go.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Happy Birthday, Rickipedia ~ !

Happy birthday Rick!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Time flys

That's awesome! Hopefully you're able to get the bid you're anticipating

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Accidents while training?

We've all made mistakes whether they caused damage or not. As Kearsey said just learn from it and take full responsibility. They expect rookies to goof up and most often it's when you're backing. As long as you don't try to pass the blame and learn from it that's what they expect of you. Now if you're speeding, texting, rollover, rear end another vehicle or hit an overhead object (low bridge) those will be looked at much more severely.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

DOT Physical and psychiatric drugs

From the F.A.Q. on Gov't site Transportation.gov

Is there a list of prohibited drugs for being medically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV)? Section 391.41(b)(12)(i)&(ii) state:

(12)(i) Does not use any drug or substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or other habit-forming drug.

(ii) Does not use any non-Schedule I drug or substance that is identified in the other Schedules in 21 part 1308 except when the use is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner, as defined in § 382.107, who is familiar with the driver's medical history and has advised the driver that the substance will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle.

Medical Examiners are required to give careful consideration to the effects of medications on a driver’s ability to operate a CMV safely before rendering the driver qualified.

For information on specific drugs and CMV driver qualification, please visit the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Medical Program website.

Questions about the effects of many drugs and driver qualification are answered in the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section.

You may also e-mail your questions to the Physical Qualifications Division at fmcsamedical@dot.gov or call and ask for a Specialist on (202) 366-4001.