Comments By Rob T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0291173001563709816-28551.jpg avatar
  • Rob T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Nobody wants to touch CRST students right now.

What old school is referring to is the $15 million judgement awarded in CRST favor. CRST claimed Swift was poaching and willing to hire individuals that had signed the non compete. For years CRST has sent letters to other carriers that have attempted to hire drivers who went through the CRST schooling but did not fulfill the obligations of the contract (or pay the tuition). IF your non compete is with CRST either buy the contract out or finish what you agreed to. It will be very difficult getting hired anywhere else after this lawsuit. AFTER your obligation is met (whether completing the contract or buying it out) as long as your license is clean you'll have a ton of companies wanting to hire you.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Getting my CDL on a budget.

John I attended a private school that my employer paid to put me through. I was the only student with their training paid for, the others paid $4500 of their own money. I received the exact same treatment and learning as they did. We all learned the bare minimum to pass a test to get our CDL. The only difference is my schooling was free as long as I worked for my employer for 1 year. 1 year is the magical number for a ton of opportunities to open up. If you go into it with the mindset of hating it and quitting in 3 weeks that's what will happen. Throughout the first couple months (and sometimes your first year) you will quit dozens of time in your head. It's extremely frustrating and exhausting getting started. It does get easier once you get into a routine, get better at backing and trip planning. Unfortunately most people think truck driving is super easy and any idiot can sit on their butt enjoying the scenery, but that misconception is far from the truth.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

My return to work

Welcome! Are you already enrolled in classes? Any ideas what company you're hoping to get your start with? Please stick around and keep us updated on your journey.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Getting my CDL on a budget.

If it doesn't pan out (which the experienced drivers here say it most likely wont) then I'll go back to grunt work and save up for a respected school.

No reason to dish money out. Paid CDL Training Programs will cover the tuition cost and in some cases pay you during school. I will use Prime as an example as so many drivers here have gone through their program. You attend 1 week of orientation, then go on the road with a trainer after you have your permit for 10,000 miles you do all the driving which I believe takes about 4 to 5 weeks. During that time you're able to get a $200 cash advance per week which will be deducted once you're solo. You will then test for your license, and once you're a licensed driver you will go out with a trainer (may be the same or different) for another 40,000 TEAM miles (your miles and trainers count). You will make $700(?) Per week during this time as long as you're available for dispatch. Prime does not deduct your pay, and as long as you stay employed with them for 1 year your tuition bill is forgiven.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

What has Rainy taught you?

Bruce says

If not, I suggest we kidnap her, lock her up with a computer and make her comment all day, everyday. (lol)

Now THAT belongs in the "c'mon man" thread. You cant be posting that stuff now they can say its PREMEDITATED rofl-1.gif

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

What has Rainy taught you?

It's no secret that this forum is full of very knowledgable PROFESSIONAL drivers and moderators that are willing to help newcomers entering the industry answer any questions they have about getting started and making it through their first year. With the thread Rainy created Saying goodbye I thought why not show her exactly how much we all appreciate what shes taught us. List a few things that you have learned from her, or even include a funny story if you so choose. There are many people here who are extremely helpful, but let's just focus on her. Those lurking make an account and share with us. LETS MAKE HER CRYsmile.gif

I feel how much time you spend on articles especially those addressing issues women are afraid of has been a HUGE help to people. So many women have come here and been worried about their safety or harassment and you've helped calm their fears. Yes there are some bad apples but that can be sad for any group of people.

The 8/2 splits with how detailed you've gotten and helped drivers understand it is incredible. It seems quite complex on the surface but after you describe it, it becomes more clear.

Actual lease numbers. You've posted numerous times the statements of your friends who are lease ops to back up the statements of not making anymore money than a good company driver. Seeing actual numbers I'd like to think has had a positive impact on helping those considering lease to have a change of heart.

The Prime specific information has helped a ton of people. Whether it be who to call due to payroll issues, needing off a trainers truck or even the monthly "Prime doesnt have any trucks" thread you take it upon your self to get the information for them from the contacts you've made through being a top tier driver.

For me the biggest thing that helped me early on was not worrying about making people wait so I can back in. I always was nervous about making people wait and then ended up taking even longer because I'd keep messing up. Hearing your stories about telling drivers you'll set your brakes and climb into the sleeper always cracked me up. Shortly after that I stopped worrying about it. I wouldn't cut people off, but I'd take control of the road and do my thing regardless if it was 1 vehicle or 10.

Rainy, you will be missed but we understand and wish you luck in everything you do. Hopefully you drop by occasionally. good-luck.gif

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Time to Say Goodbye...

Best of luck in the next chapter. We're gonna miss you 😢

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

How hosed am I?

Great work maneuvering that situation Junkyard. About a month ago I had a backhaul near Trimble MO (northwest of Kearney off US 169) and the detour it sent us on was some real sketchy backroads. It ended up sending me all the way over to i29 to st Joseph to get to 35. A couple of the curves were super tight but atleast I could see if anyone was coming.

That pilot in Kearney always confuses me if you get off the NB ramp. They Make you swing all the way over to the right so you're separated from the rest of traffic your direction by the bridge pillars. Also curious about the fine I'd you attempt to turn left without using the light, but I DO NOT want to find out the hard way.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

I've learned a ton from you and it was great to finally get to meet you!

Awesome! Notice, for once, Old School is to the left!shocked.png

But he was on my rightrofl-3.gif

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Old school

Gray minivan (go ahead and laugh) first spot on top of the hill

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Old school

Sounds good, I'm parked in front of building by unleaded pumps

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Old school

Got a minute to meet up? Seen you're in my neck of the woods, had to stop for gas in car anyways

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

How hosed am I?

I meant SOUTHWEST of paducah. This actually wasnt hard to find, it appears that KY 998 only runs for a short distance so I just looked at the map and that is only place it looks sketchy. It's possible it restarts elsewhere in the state but I couldn't find it.

One other thing worth noting with this road is the lack of a shoulder. The roads I've seen with this setup typically have a drop off on the other side. Also as bruce pointed out, unless theres storm drains 99% of the time you're going have a ditch for drainage purposes. That corner is far from ideal and the trees should be cleared up, but theres still no excuse. I really do wish you luck, but you really need to demonstrate that you learned from this mistake which has not happened in this forum. You've said you accept responsibility but then still try to pass the blame.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

How hosed am I?

Got a little bored and tried to see if I couldn't find the place this occurred. KJ please correct me if I'm wrong, this is Southeast of Paducah.

0668935001565549043.jpg0277642001565549275.jpg0427412001565549294.jpg if this indeed is the corner I can see what you mean about a blind corner...HOWEVER, you were clearly going too fast. You can see the signs warning you of a turn, and if you were following GPS you'd see a tight turn is ahead. You even said had you hit the brakes you'd have hit the car. That's admitting you're going too fast. Having your trailer run over some grass (had you been correct about the ditch being level with the road) instead of hitting a car is the right move. BUT you never should have put yourself into that situation. Had you been going slower you would have had more time to react. I'm not sure how getting out to look around the corner would have helped you with traffic coming at 45 mph, by the time you climb back in the truck there may be cars there weren't when you looked. Be prepared to own up to it and explain to a potential employer what you learned from this and how you will avoid it in the future. Truck rollovers are ALWAYS preventable and they're extremely serious. I wish you luck.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

How hosed am I?

I was specifically told never to obstruct traffic, so stopping in the middle of a highway is a no go.

Better to obstruct traffic than flip the trailer..... I can guarantee you that you wouldn't get in trouble if you needed to stop as long as your hazards were on and there was a valid reason. Technically you're obstructing traffic if you ever back into a dock from the road. Do you know the intersection this happened so we can look at google maps to get a better idea. Honestly I'm a better visual learner and you may help others avoid this unfortunate mishap.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Out of state CDL and oilfield work

As far as we're aware Illinois is the only state that will require you to retest. Other states you simply go to the DMV and pay the fee.

Regarding oilfield work your idea of getting experience OTR will likely be the fastest, and safest way to get hired working the oil fields. Another option is to just get your foot in the door doing labor and then work your way up. My brother in law worked for Haliburton and got his CDL through them after a couple years. Problem with the oil fields is when it's good, it's great! When it slows down it REALLY hurts financially. Many young guys out there dont understand that and end up in financial ruins when they get laid off and cant make the payment on their 300k mortgage or 2 pickups and boat or ATV. Brother in law got laid off and got a call back after 4 months but opted to not return as it's too unpredictable. I'm not sure if you'd be required to retake Hazmat to transfer, but you do need to redo that endorsement every 2 years.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Metal rolls in dry van

Susan says

I admit the loads look crazy in the box, but are pretty darn stable. Glad you made it safe and sound. Next time you won't be so shocked at how they "secure " crazy stuff in dry vans.. definitely the stuff of flatbedder nightmares

What susan is trying to say is that flatbedders have a bit to learn from us door swingers. First lesson will be how to back up 😉.

Ok ok maybe she that's not what she meant smile.gif

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

DUI/Intoxalock (only curious)

I'm actually surprised this hasn't turned into a 3 page PILE ON with board members laughing at even the notion of operating a rig with an interlock.

The thought crossed my mind while sitting at a truck stop and seeing a driver vaping, after walking past empty beer cans all over the lot. Thank you for that info, I'm sure it'd take a real shady company to hire a driver with that recent of a DUI as the insurance cost is likely to be astronomical so I'd guess its likely insurance is unaware the driver is employed there.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

DUI/Intoxalock (only curious)

Let me start by saying im only curious about it, not dealing with it and never drive even a POV after any alcohol and dont drink the day before I go back to work. With most states requiring Intoxalock after even your first DUI, would a driver be required to also have it in the big rig? This is assuming your license isnt suspended, and you're lucky enough to find someone to hire you with a recent DUI, and install the device (if necessary).

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

FedEx Freight Driver Apprentice

Any updates?did you sign the offer letter? Have you run any routes or have you been stuck in the warehouse? Either way, it will pay off in the long run