Comments By Rob T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0634114001548208391-28551.jpg avatar
  • Rob T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

The Road Less Traveled; Governed Truck Speed

62 mph is crazy. That makes for hazards driving when you can go the speed limit

So what do you suggest? Allow all trucks do 65? Well what about interstates that allow you to do 70 or 75? Ok let's bump it to 75. Well guess what. You're still a hazard if you go to Texas where speed limit is 85. Alright, let's allow all trucks to do 85 so they're not a hazard. Oh crap, I just blew a steer doing 85. Now how big of a hazard are you? What do you suggest be done to not "be a hazard"?

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

CPAP Alternative Power Option!

Or....the company could just install an APU and not deal with that. In the other thread, Raptors equipment isn't functioning properly which is why hes at a terminal. We get it marc, you're itching to get back at it. However, you're trying to "fix" things that aren't really an issue.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Break down/HOS violation.

I think he stayed on duty because he's paid hourly on that Northeast regional gig Wolding has

Yup I understand, and obviously he'd need to log it however Wolding wanted.

However, what I mean is:

He's going to be sitting unpaid for 10 hrs regardless of whether it's on the side of the road now or later after being repaired or towed to the truck stop.

Of course, I'm sure at the time he didn't know he be sitting for 10 hours either.

Very good point, I look forward to hearing how they would want it logged in the future. I'm not saying grumpy did anything wrong by any means, but this is one reason many companies don't pay hourly. He lost 10 hours of productivity that had he been paid mileage would have been logged differently and allowed him to turn more miles for the week to help himself and the company. It amazes me how long some of these repairs take, or even for roadside to show up! In my experience roadside always tells me "ETA hour and a half". 2 to 3 hours later they roll up and then have to go back to the shop for tools to fix the problem.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Break down/HOS violation.

After the obligatory 10-15 mins on-duty time for contacting road assist, I would've had myself in sleeper berth for sure. Totally legal once you're relieved of all duties and able to rest. You can choose to rest right on the side of the road in your truck.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Break down/HOS violation.

I'd suggest talking to your DM and see what they suggest in the future. I'm also hourly and although we have nearly all daycabs we do have a handful of sleepers. If in the sleeper cab that day we log "sleeper" and then the company will pay us our normal hourly rate for those hours as well. Only requirement is we document why we were sleeper as opposed to on duty or off duty. Wolding has their way of doing things however the way we do it is beneficial for both the driver and the company. You're still getting paid but in this case you would have had a full clock to roll with. You also wouldn't have burned up hours towards your 70. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

Glad you made it to the nearest place safe

Stuck getting repairs done at Jurupa Valley

You sure have had it rough lately with all the repairs. Hang in there it'll get better. Sorry I cant help with your question.

Let the process begin!

We may not agree with your decision, however it was yours to make. Please stick around and keep us updated on how things go for you.

How to idle 20016 frieghtliner

On the 2017 freightliner u push the drivers side lower mirror all the way in on the right side of the mirror, reach inside and disconnect the temperature sensor inside and u can idle ur truck and it won't shutdown. When truck goes into shop, reconnect the sensor so maint won't find it...

Tampering with company equipment. Thank you for demonstrating a great way to lose your job.

Stevens Transport starting April 15th

Sorry this topic got overlooked. Welcome to the forum! Stevens is a great place to get started at. We've had a few members going through their schooling and seemed happy but I'm not finding their diaries currently

Looking to jump in

Welcome! We have many prime drivers here that will be along later to give better info prime specific. However, you cant go wrong with any of the major carriers.

Driving Jobs other than OTR

Also, there are a ton of flatbed companies that will get you home nearly every weekend. You'll bust your ass all week but atleast you have consistent home time.

Driving Jobs other than OTR

Old school is spot on about local jobs being tough for a rookie. I started that way and feel fortunate i didnt hit anything given some of the situations i got myself into. I'd really suggest sucking it up for a year, you will then have a ton of jobs you're qualified for and wont need to just take anything. Solo, to be honest $190 a day for that work Is terrible. Obviously he felt it worked better for him to do it but unloading cases and kegs of beer all day for $190 regardless if you work 8 or 14 hours?no thanks. I did food service and made about 85k my first year. In the end I decided even that money wasn't worth it and found something easier on the body making similar money. The company I'm with now doesnt hire people without atleast a year experience.

Driving Jobs other than OTR

Where abouts do you live? that will play a big role in what's available. I've done food service work, which is physically unloading a trailer. I could work 12 hours but only drive 2 hours total. Currently I work for a grocery chain delivering to Iowa and the 7 surrounding states. A lot more driving involved in this position. Foodservice I stayed out overnight twice in a year and half I was there due to going to Omaha with bad weather(I'm in des moines). My current gig I've been out twice overnight in the 2 and half months. Once due to weather (heavy wind), the other time shipper I was picking up a backhaul from took too long and had to shutdown hour and a half from home.

Help me learn about Lumpers

I'd say you got out of there pretty quickly. I don't typically deal with lumpers but the last experience I had the US Foods in Plymouth MN wanted close to $200 to unload 4 pallets but it'd be if i remember correctly like 4 hours before they'd even get to me. I opted to unload and down stack the pallets on my own and was out of there in just over an hour. Only had to handle about 100 cases. Remember, the reason it takes longer than just taking pallets off is they're restacking it into different pallets to make it fit in their racking. It may come in with 14 layers on the pallet but the slot they store it in can only fit it 7 layers high. It's a pain in the ass but nothing we can do about it. Some of our employers do not want us doing it due to risk of injury, and some receivers will not allow us on dock due to liability issues.

Preventable Accidents

Terrible idea. They will find you had worked elsewhere and will not be hired. Just be honest about the incident and explain what you learned, and what you will do to prevent it from happening again.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Got my first raise and a safety letter

Great job!

Finally back to work

Glad to hear you got everything resolved and are able to get back out there.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

I'm Back From My Trip

Splitter says

Not missing much. Just a bunch of pics of this dude's big head with ice everywhere & oh yeah, there's elk in Canada!

rofl-1.gifrofl-1.gif can we make this like Jerry Springer used to be and fight it out??? JERRY!! JERRY!! JERRY!!smile.gif

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Are these legal?

Marc says

I have been told many people buy vehicles from down South (where it was likely legal) and drive them here (where it is not).

Doesnt matter, your vehicle must meet standards for where its registered. I had the blackout tint put on my van in Florida, when I moved to Iowa I asked a trooper that happened to be at the gas station at the same time about it. I still had FL plates but he told me I'd need to remove the tint on front windows when I register, as it was too dark for iowa (back are fine). I wouldn't be forced to however I'd be issued a citation if pulled over. The only time tint laws do not apply is if it was factory installed that way, or you have a prescription. I don't know how tint laws affect a CMV.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Are these legal?

Yeah I see drivers with crap mounted all over their windshield. I prefer to keep mine clean and neat, just like my dash. A pet peeve of mine is junk all over the dash.

I agree Susan. It looks quite unprofessional. I've seen drivers with their phones, and GPS mounted on the windshield. They obstruct the view and the light at night is distracting even on the lowest setting. Also, I thought all that is illegal? I remember for our pre trip at the DMV (iowa) "windshield is clean, not chipped cracked or broken, current inspection sticker and is free of any other object or stickers". I cant recall the exact wording, but the dash was empty with no obstructions. Maybe it was just my school doing overkill to help us pass because I definitely have seen some with crap piled up there.