Comments By Rob T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0510282001559577103-28551.jpg avatar
  • Rob T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 days, 21 hours ago

How A Strong Woman Deals With Offensive Behavior From Men - New Article By Rainy

Great article! But how does a weak man deal with offensive behavior from a woman???? Suck it up buttercup! smile.gif

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Help me, please.

What is it about straight trucks that interest you instead of tractor trailer? Many people have doubts about being able to do it when they get started but they manage. Jobs in my area for straight truck start around $15 to $17 an hour but tractor trailer jobs are quite a bit more, many in the $20 to $23 an hour range for local work with some jobs paying significantly more. It's always best to get about a year of over the road experience to help build a foundation of success.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Alternative medicine for Barometric Pressure Headaches?

Anne did you guys find anything out?

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

FedEx Freight Driver Apprentice

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Great job! Doesn't need to be pretty you still have the same license as the rest of us. I look forward to hearing more about your journey

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Delivering to Grocery Stores

On Monday I was planning on taking the shortest route due to having plans. Fortunately "short" routes were all that were left when it was my turn to pick. I took a Marshalltown and Cedar Rapids run, and clean up the cedar rapids store. I clocked in at 1230am and could have made it all the way back to the yard in just over 7 hours but decided to take my hour break as its paid anyways, why throw away easy money! By the time I clocked out id put in about 8 and a half hours and drove 260 miles.

Most of what i have shared is company specific but I hope that this post will shed light if anyone happens to be interested in this company. I mentioned previously when I received my first full quarterly bonus check I'd post the results. We received a text message from our VP that said "bonus 9.65%. Last year was 7.9. Great job! Thanks". That means that every employee eligible (more than 20 hours a week, employed for 60+ days) received 9.65% of their quarterly earnings. I believe the bonus is rare in any job but we receive one due to us being "employee owned ". My bonus amount was around $1900 GROSS, take home after taxes and 401k was $1175. I started January 21st and according to my paycheck today (paid every Wednesday, today is July 10th) I have made $39937 working primarily 4 days a week (I've worked additional days maybe 8 times) 50 hours a week. If my pay continues the way it has up to this point I should be around $85,000. I'm VERY satisfied where I'm at and see myself making a career there. I dont consider myself to be a top tier driver but due to my hourly rate am able to be paid like one. Top tier drivers can make that kind of money at nearly any company so dont think what I'm making is impossible unless you work where I do. However being paid by the mile requires you to perform at a higher level which is why its recommended to stay at your company for atleast a couple years so you can learn how things are done there. As this site is geared mainly towards those getting started, If this type of driving job interests you get your year of OTR driving in then look at opportunities in your area. We don't require a year, just "some tractor/trailer experience" but you will be in a much better position if you have a year. Most of our stores are easy to hit the dock but quite a few backhauls get pretty hairy. I'm anxiously waiting for my opportunity to pickup in the caves in Independence Missouri.

None of what I've said is an attempt to recruit, or get referral bonuses I just genuinely love my job and the company I work for. I also enjoy showing other sides of trucking that aren't OTR as many people aren't able to handle the challenges of being away from home so frequently. I give credit to all those drivers and their families who are able to make it work.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

ELD mandate deadline looming, many still not compliant

We are getting a whole new system installed no more People Net for us, my terminal is supposed to get it Aug 5th, sounds like there will be some adjusting to it as we can not move the truck at all with out it assigning time.

Bobcat we are doing the same. I believe it's the Samsara that we're switching to from peoplenet. There was a meeting all drivers were invited to in order to go over some of the rules changing. Unfortunately it was 730am on a Sunday and i was working. They haven't gone over the speaking points with me yet, however I overheard one of our upper management saying that no longer can we move the truck without being logged in. For OTR drivers that isnt much of an issue due to rarely logging out. For us when we dispatch ourselves for the trip we also log in on a computer in the office to "on duty". Usually I was moving the truck in the yard to grab my trailer, sometimes if it was taking forever I'd go to my trailer and allow it to finish loading while I'm hooking up. Soon I wont be able to do that. It will have a bigger negative impact on our mechanics and fuelers (we rarely fuel our own trucks) as they also must log in prior to moving it. In the event we get inspected it will be visible that the truck was moved without an active driver and will be a HOS violation. Not sure who would ultimately be responsible for that ticket as lower seniority guys slip seat but I'd rather not find out.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Lease operator

Very great points packrat although all i could think of while reading that was the movie Good Fellas...

0925621001562725333.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Second DOT Inspection in 3 weeks.

Never have looked as it was never mentioned at school or training. I suppose I should start. Great job passing with the exception of registration. I've been fortunate to have not been inspected in the nearly 2 years I've been driving. I thought for sure I was going to be inspected couple months ago when DOT had me sit on the scale for about 2 minutes before giving me the green light while empty.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Actual Annual Lease Op Numbers

It’s pretty simple. I’m certainly not making a bunch more than a good company driver. Also this is pulling chemicals not box freight. It tends to stay a little more stable in pricing from my experiences.

PJ thank you very much for sharing actual numbers, something many others have refused to do. You've stated many times your situation is much different than others which allows you the freedom to do this and not have it completely ruin you. It's crazy to see how much REVENUE you brought in and how much you actually ended up taking home after all expenses. Sure you're on track for your truck to bring in over $200k but after expenses it's down to roughly $70k for the year, which as you also stated, is about the same as a good company driver. Is "maintenance" your maintenance fund or is that currently what you've spent?

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Swift Refrigerated

Best of luck with the new job Gladhand. You're absolutely handling it the correct way. Swift may not have been the long term solution but refusing to speak negatively about them speaks volumes of your character smile.gif I look forward to hearing more about it when you feel comfortable doing so

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Rick C.'s CDL renewal journal

That's not a job offer. That's an offer to attend orientation where you aren't offered a job until the end of the week after all their background checks and drug screens come back acceptable.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

New boot device being deployed to threaten Walmart overnighters

I'm not sure how other companies operate but the 2 I've drove for will pay tickets then do payroll deductions depending on ticket. Food service gig they paid parking tickets due to sometimes parking illegally downtown and overweight tickets due to cramming as much is possible on trailers. Most times it isnt Walmart banning trucks. Its the city ordinances and land owners that Walmart is leasing the property from. Walmart gets fined for trucks being there overnight

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

New boot device being deployed to threaten Walmart overnighters

What i want to know is why is Walmart required to provide you a place to park overnight. Nobody ever mentions target or malls yet I never see anyone parked there. If I were to deliver a brand new pool to your home does that mean I can set up a tent in your front yard without permission and leave my trash in your grass? Similar concept

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Met up with Bruce K.!

I will say that Marc made breakfast Friday morning. He made omelets and they were the best I've ever had.

Alright hate to do it but as usual I don't think we're getting the whole story. You need to be honest with us rofl-1.gifrofl-1.gif just giving you guys a hard time.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

New boot device being deployed to threaten Walmart overnighters

Regarding the video mentioned it's ridiculous they didnt attempt to wake the drivers prior to "booting" them, but signs are posted.

My views will likely differ from most of you due to not sleeping in the truck. With that being said it annoys me when I see, or hear drivers complaining somewhere will not allow them to sleep on their property. Big deal if you spent $50 inside the store, it still doesn't give you the RIGHT to stay especially if there are signs posted without atleast getting permission from a manager first. I also see plenty of local drivers parking in places they shouldn't be, so it isnt just OTR folks. Yes, finding parking to accommodate a 70 foot vehicle is difficult but it doesn't give us the right to park on private property against the owners wishes. A couple weeks ago we had one of our newer members telling us he doesn't even ask stores for permission he'll just do it. I think that's disrespectful and showing lack of respect for these places is what got us into this predicament. How often do you go to a truckstop and see pee bottles, trash, or even POOP in a bag thrown on the ground? These companies are trying to run a profitable business, how are they supposed to do that needing to hire a couple people to clean up after SOME nasty drivers and have local customers go elsewhere due to being disgusted.

Its similar to truck stops charging for parking. If you stay there for 10 or 34 hours you're likely going inside multiple times using their facilities and with how many drivers it seems try to avoid buying stuff inside due to cost (understandable) they aren't making as much money. I don't know what the profit per gallon of diesel is but for unleaded I'd read somewhere it was about 3 cents per gallon. I know a couple companies reimburse for paid parking, it would be nice if more did, within reason. Obviously they aren't going to dish out $100 a night so you can park in Joe's Pasture.

There's no doubt that there is a parking shortage in many areas of the country but EXPECTING private businesses to be your answer is wrong. I always hear the arguement of drivers spending so much in Walmart but it's no where near what the locals do.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

New to the game.

Check out this article: Why I Am More Than Just A Number At My Mega Carrier.

Prime Inc has over 6000 drivers and many members here drive for them and love it. As long as you work your way to being a top tier driver you will be treated great anywhere you go. If you're constantly getting called to wake up, or late for appointments due to poor planning (not weather, break down related) then you may feel like "just a number". Although you may work for a company with over 12,000 drivers you will still only deal with a handful of people.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

CRST Expedited Trucking School and training program Cedar Rapids, IA. A (re) training diary by millionmiler24

MM are you still training new drivers? How does CRST train, meaning is there a couple days you guys run solo so you can observe or are you given someone who just got their CDL and run as team immediately. How long is training? Before you were training how many different co-drivers did you go through before you found one that you guys were able to get along (not saying it as a bad thing) and be able to both be happy with each others performance. Too often with teaming we hear about co-drivers being lazy and not wanting to do as much so their resentment grows and teams split quite frequently. Either way i really love that you've documented your journey so others can see that CRST isnt a terrible place to work. Teaming is not for everyone but you seem to enjoy it smile.gif

Go figure I'll be in CR tomorrow morning and you're long gone :P. A couple months ago I seen you were 2 miles away (residential area) while I delivered to one of our stores there but it was also 1am haha. One of these times I'll be lucky enough.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Alternative medicine for Barometric Pressure Headaches?

Susan, I DID look up imitrex (thank you for that info) and apparently its a 'shot' like Insulin almost that you stab your thigh with when a headache comes on.

My wife uses the pill form for migraines, she takes it as soon as it begins coming on and usually it helps prevent it from getting real bad. That may not be a good idea for him to use, known side affects include dizziness and drowsiness. It usually knocked my wife out within an hour and she felt the affects for up to 8 hours. I'm not sure if his company bans it but I doubt its DOT Approved. It isn't a narcotic so I'm unsure if it would pop up on a urine test if he used it while at home.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Shhhh!!!! Be Quiet!

By far the worst trailers I've seen of a large company is YRC. Specifically the local ones still branded Yellow or Roadway. Even their local trucks look like crap. Atleast the sleepers they have look to be pretty new and well taken care of.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago