Comments By Rob T.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0291173001563709816-28551.jpg avatar
  • Rob T.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Cdl school

Just did a 90 trainer said that was textbook got it in the hole with no mistakes.

Great job, just dont get over confident. I'd hate to see you nail it so well now but come test time fail because your setup was just a little different and now you dont have the same amount of space or angle so your references are thrown off. Keep up the great work.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Complete truck driver's packing list. Did I leave anything out ?

Alot of refried beans...spinach, sauerkraut....I'd definitely say some air freshenerssmile.gif

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Volvo blind spot sensor

The "horn" honks in the cab only.

ohhhhhh....thanks for that, puts me at ease if it I get put in one. Doesnt seem much different than the other alarms that go off inside the cab then. Thanks for clearing that up Errol, who knew truck drivers exaggerated confused.gifrofl-3.gif

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Volvo blind spot sensor

Our 2020 Volvos have a safety feature built in that will honk the horn twice if you turn your signal on while somebody is in your blindspot. It's a good idea however it seems to just **** off those around you as they're unaware it isnt the driver doing it. I've not driven one yet but some of our drivers have gotten a few "1 finger salutes" while turning right in a double turn lane. It seems like a good way to get road rage going. Anybody else have experience with this?

From the volvo site

BLIND SPOT DETECTION As an addition to the Volvo Active Driver Assist system, the Volvo right side blind spot helps drivers detect potential dangers and avoid them. Along with an audio response, a LED warning light appears on the right side A-pillar, notifying the driver when a vehicle is within the blind spot radius.

Volvo

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Largest Truck Stop in the World

I met Pete E. Pothole there a few months ago. Maybe someone else will show up for you, as well.

I almost took a load going to Davenport but changed my mind at the last minute otherwise I'd have been there about that time

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

CDL Training With TransTech School

dancing-dog.gif Awesome! Let the fun of driving begin shortly!

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Anybody been to the caves?

Thanks Errol I forgot about that thread! Reading reviews for the receiver there was one that said this particular customer inside you better be able to blindside 90 into tight spaces or you're screwed so I was looking forward to the challenge. Aside from the climate control aspect I just find it absolutely crazy that they would put these businesses underground.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Anybody been to the caves?

I was supposed to deliver in the Subtropolis Caves in KC but the warehouse forgot to load the product so I dont get to go. I looked it up on youtube and this particular one looked tight but fun. We also go to the caves in Independence MO off Truman rd which I've heard are even tighter. What caves have you been to? Any pics!?

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

My return to work

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif great job!

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

FEMA load pay

rofl-1.gif

Thanks for the good laugh this morning. It always amazes me seeing these new posters pop in and immediately criticize those offering help. Are you that impatient you couldnt wait a few hours for him to contact somebody within his company that would have the correct answer regarding his pay? Kearsey mentioned the advances you're not aware of because your story sounds almost identical to many we've read by trucking spouses that indeed were advances. Clearly no answer we would have given you would have been enough. You were given a couple of possibilities and I guess you need to wait to hear from his company so we don't offend you.

You said

My groom is a driver and I have felt like something hasn't seemed right with his pay from day one.... Anyway I noticed this past Friday 10-4-19 his check stub seemed shady as heck....

how long has he worked at this company? Is he lease or company driver? If his pay hasn't seemed right why has HE waited so long to get it straightened out? Almost everybody pays careful attention to their pay stub to ensure they were paid correctly, regardless how busy they are.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Taking CDL test in 2 weeks, need some help downshifting quickly

I had the same thought process while in school. We were told to take turns and stop in 6th. I ended up skipping 7th so I could stop In 6th as that's what we were told. My instructor then said IDEALLY you go through all the gears but many times it isnt possible. One thing he taught me was on city streets do 5 under the speed limit. This way if you have a light change on you you're already at the proper RPM to drop a gear without needing to slow down. You may want to make sure where you're testing doesnt consider that impeding traffic though. When I took my test I was told as long as you aren't going much slower than 5 under you'll be ok. If you end up stopping in 7th gear make sure you press the clutch in before you're completely stopped, just no more than 1 truck length.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Big decision time

I'm not familiar with what your family situation is (spouse and kids) but my wife and I had left MN for FL as we were tired of the weather and always heard about how great it was. When we had kids our outlook quickly changed. Before having our first child we loved not feeling obligated to see family because it's a holiday. All of a sudden we hated not having family around. We had my mother in law only a couple miles from us but it just felt different. A big eye opener was when my son was 6 months old we needed to go to Green Bay WI for my brother in laws wedding. It took over a day and a half driving. Sure we could have flown but we decided to drive so we could see family in MN and check out some sites on the way home, plus it was cheaper. We ended up leaving FL for Iowa so we still were on our own but within a few hours we can see most of our family. To me that's important due to my parents getting up there in age. 6 months ago I got a call saying that grandma had a stroke and was in the hospital. I was able to get up there and visit with her after only a few hour drive. A couple days later she decided she didnt want treatment and I got a call from my dad telling me she'll be gone before morning. I was going to call into work and go up there but she wasnt going to make it that long so I was told stay home. In this case 250 miles was still too far away.

Is it worth not moving away from where you grew up due to the fear of something happening to a loved one? Do you want your kids to not have their aunts/uncles etc around while growing up, possibly feeling left out (I witnessed it with classmates growing up, but kids these days are so SAWFT smile.gif ) to be honest we also missed the 4 seasons the midwest brings, although I question myself when its snowing hard or -20. As far as something happening to a family member, you also can't live your life for others. Life is too short to be unhappy. the brightside is you will always have a place at OD by continuing what you're doing. You may move down there and love it, or you may decide you miss "home" and want to go back. You're the only one who can decide that, just thought I'd share my first hand experience. Dont let your place on the seniority board be the determining factor. People could retire, quit or be fired pretty quickly and all of a sudden you find yourself in a much different position.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

CDL Physical

The ones I've seen are usually about $100. Where are you planning on going to school? Sometimes the school includes that in tuition

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Eye Candy

Spotted today near Grundy Center Iowa

0940645001570201734.jpg0231022001570201756.jpg

As I pulled out I seen another one hiding. Brakes were set when I snapped it....

0524047001570201805.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Possibly hardest store dock we have

Harder than some of the ones you did at PFG?

We didnt have too many docks at PFG that we had hit since we 2 wheeled 99% of our stops. The biggest challenge for the docks I did hit there was dealing with rush hour traffic while trying to back off the street downtown. I actually would have preferred a pup trailer at this stop instead of the 53' we pullsmile.gif. I think back to 2 wheeling and dont miss it! Making about the same money for what feels like hardly any actual work.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Possibly hardest store dock we have

We were short 4 drivers for todays routes so I ended up volunteering to run one. It sent me to iowa city, davenport and muscatine iowa (352 mile round trip). I've been to IC and Dav stores numerous times but have never been to Muscatine. Due to it being an extra day I didnt bother looking at our website we have that shows all the routes and when dispatch called me I said I'd "take whatever". Afterwards I checked out google to see the store to have an idea of what I was up against as I've heard a few driver complain about this particular store. This is what I seen

0334467001570062082.jpg0790854001570062102.jpg0971046001570062179.jpg this is much smaller than most of our stores, about the size of a CVS or Walgreens. Originally I thought it dont look too bad but its tighter than it appears. I also realized that the Dr Pepper truck in the dock is likely pulling a 28' trailer. The sign ahead says something like "semis must hug yellow line. Failure to do so will result in equipment and building damage". what's missing in the picture is they have since put in yellow poles to protect the building from being hit. Of course I showed up about 6am when it was still dark and minimal lighting (which is why I used Google pics). It ended up taking 2 pullups and I G.O.A.L. 3 times just to be safe as I was afraid of ripping off my trailer doors on the yellow pole it was so tight. The store had stockers on the dock waiting for me, but who cares. Got it in safely without causing damage. It would have been much easier if they didnt have the curb there but it is what it is.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Automatics?

I drive a mix of volvo (2013-2017), Freightliner (2018) and Kenworth (2017) and the volvo is definitely the smoothest especially backing up. The Kenworths we have seem to get very jumpy when you're trying to back and it gets much worse if you're trying to back at a sharp angle. One thing I dislike about the freightliners we have is how frequently it goes into coast mode when I'm using cruise control. I wouldn't base my decision of a company on what brand of trucks they have. That can change quickly and many fleets have a mix anyways.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Getting your CDL-A without school

This idea may seem a bit different that what most think but what about a Weekend CDL School? Those type of programs are still 160 hours but are spread out over 8 weeks versus that usual 3 weeks.

I dont think weekend schooling is good because the only way you improve is repetition. We've had a few members that did weekend school so they could continue working while getting their CDL. Almost all of them have said they'd leave class sunday feeling confident, come in the following saturday and struggle greatly with the basics.

We all felt 3 weeks learning to drive something that huge, learning to shift (if applicable) and back a trailer that size was no where near enough. I'll be honest I'm not familiar with learning disabilities too much but maybe consider a community college course where its 8 to 12 weeks long. We've had a few people that have had learning disabilities come through here and take advantage of Paid CDL Training Programs and be successful at it. If he is on any meds you also may want to make sure they're not banned by the FMCSA or your company he'd be driving at.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Finally change my status to experienced driver

Great job getting it done safely.

We achieved it... But we know it can be taken away with one mistake.

Very well put Junkyard.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Prime TNT

I'd highly suggest getting the approval from Prime first. If you get off the truck with them being unaware it may be treated as you're quitting. We know the reasons why you want off, now communicate it with Prime to come up with a game plan. I dont blame you for wanting off the truck, I would as well, but you gotta do it the right way. If you tell them the issues you're having theyll get you into a terminal ASAP.