Comments By Robert B. (The Dragon) yes, I breathe fire and other sideshow tricks

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0442721001541900391-29332.jpg avatar

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

What is this trailer for?

Wrong photo dangit. That's a crane section, not the dozer photo I was looking for but you get the idea lol.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

What is this trailer for?

0436440001561595897.jpg

It's a heavy haul trailer. The extra axle sections help carry the weight and also follow like doubles or triples. In this particular photo, that's a D11 dozer on the back weighing roughly 225,000#.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Truck Height

I would imagine a tape measure and a helper would be your best option. In the construction business, we say the person holding the end of the tape is on the "dumb end". Make sure you are on the "smart end". Center of the front axle to center of rear axle would be the wheelbase. The rest is self explanatory.

smile.gif

Wheelbase is actually determined by the distance from the center of the front axle to the center of the drive axles, not the center of the rear axle.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Question about Tractor

You'll be hard pressed to find anyone using 3.70 rears anymore that isn't doing heavy haul or some sort of dump, log or regional work where you're constantly in the hills. They're much too concerned with fuel costs and with your particular setup, it's definitely gonna be a dog on the hills.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Question about Tractor

One thing so many fail to address is the rear end gears. Many companies spec their trucks for fuel economy and will go with a rear end gear that will cruise down the highway at a nice low rpm with the engine putting forth little effort. The trade off is the truck falling on its face when it hits a hill but there's really no way around it and you just deal with the fact that you'll be crawling all the way to the top.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed weight distribution

Neek, I apologize and wasn't trying to confuse you with my reference regarding coils because they're different than a normal loading procedure. You mention the location of your stake pocket with 14 being right at the light. If that light is truly the center of the trailer then it would work. The best way to find true center is a measuring tape and a can of spray paint to mark the deck. Say you're loading 12 pallets of brick. 6 in front of center, 6 in back will usually get you pretty close. If not, then move it around, front or back to find the balance point. Once you find the sweet spot, you'll quickly learn where you'll want everything to sit based on whatever weight you have. Loading heavy on the trailer tandems will cause the front of the trailer to lift even on a flatbed and will cause you to have more weight on the steers. I honestly wouldn't worry so much about your steer weight, it's not that high and certainly not dangerous.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed weight distribution

The coil packages on standard otr trailers are normally set just behind the center. The reason behind it is that we can load more weight to the rear because of the spread but that's not always the case depending on the manufacturer. Many companies will have a sticker which stays top place coil here.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed weight distribution

Ok I'm gonna try that next time. I'll let you guys know what the scale says. But I have a sneaky suspicion that the sticker that says "place heavy loads here" is not the true middle point. I feel like it may be to the front a little bit.

That sticker usually indicates that the trailer has a coil package and is reinforced in that area to deal with having the 40÷k weight of a steel coil all being situated in roughly a 3'x5' area. The easiest way to find center of the trailer is a measuring tape or use the center light as reference. The center light may not be exact but a pretty good reference point in most cases. Do remember though, the trailer center in regards to weight balance is different when the axles are open vs closed.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Going To El Paso TX

El Paso is great. If you park at the J near the back, you can walk up that hill and get a great view of Juarez and if you listen closely at night, even hear some gunfire lol.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed weight distribution

Another thing I forgot to mention which applies specifically to flatbed is that with a better balance, you'll find backing to be much easier without that constant fight with the trailer trying to push back when you get it at a tighter angle.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Imagine driving this beast

He doesn't haul anything with it, it's just a giant advertising unit. The fact that it's a very rare Diamond Reo is what attracted me to it.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Flatbed weight distribution

Split the weight more evenly. Adding more weight to the drives will actually relieve a bit of the weight on the steers and unless that steer weight is really up there, you'll rarely have to worry about it. When loading the way you've been doing it, it's lifting up on the drives and putting more weight on the steer tires, plus it feels like you're dragging the load rather than pulling it. If you get your balance a bit closer, the steering won't feel as heavy and it will ride much better.

Posted:  6 months ago

Magnum Logistics out of North Dakota

I shot the breeze with one for a couple hours on the radio a while back when I was headed out west. He was familiar with the company I drive for and I have seen their trucks running up in the western areas quite a bit. He has been with them for several years and really seemed to enjoy it. He also wasn't a newer driver when he started there but apparently liked and still likes what they had to offer.

Posted:  6 months ago

SPE Cetificate in Mississippi

Does anybody know where I need to go to get a SPE Certificate in Mississippi? I have a prosthetic left leg and have already got all my medical forms filled out. I have already passed all my tests and had my CDL license. I then tried to get a job and found out I didn't have a SPE certificate and needed to talk to someone in my state (Mississippi) about getting one. All the companies I have talked to about a job said I to get a SPE certificate.

Definitely use the link and call the representative who manages your state. It looks as if you'll be dealing with the folks in Atlanta. They'll send out the packet in the mail and then you have to fill out all the information, along with making the required doctor appointments so they can also fill out their portion. Once finished, send it in and wait.

Posted:  6 months ago

SPE Cetificate in Mississippi

I certainly hope your representative is easier to deal with than mine. She has a horrible attitude and takes forever to do anything. It’s taken almost a year to get my temporary driving certificate.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're dealing with Ms Leslie in the midwest center and you're absolutely right.

Posted:  6 months ago

Average Rate in the Current Market

I'm pretty certain that Solo is referring to rates on loads, not driver pay.

Agreed, he's making roughly $.50cpm when you break it down.

Posted:  6 months ago

Concealed carry permit, reciprocation.

Rob T. For military bases, you simply declare the weapon when you arrive. They will fill out a couple quick forms, secure the weapon while you're there and then return it to you when you leave.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Owner Operator

In regards to the OP, as Old School mentioned, it's all about the contract. If it doesn't state that maintenance account monies specifically stay with the truck, then they should be refunded. However, be prepared because upon their inspection on return, they will compile a list of "repairs" which will wipe out that maintenance account although in reality, they won't do a thing to the truck. It's yet another part of the scam where they will get over on a driver.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Owner Operator

My only disagreement Old School is your claim about maintenance and repair. As most folks here know, I've done the lease gig, not because I wanted to try to prove any point but rather to take the risk so that I could be a credible witness as to how they work. Some companies may require it, like Prime or Knight but that's not the case with all. I was free to take my trucks wherever I chose for repairs and the only authorization was to make the company aware so they could apply my maintenance account to whatever the repair costs were. I was not in any way limited or required to go to any specific locations for work done. I know several others playing the lease game at other companies and they have no restrictions either. Warranty items were obviously covered at the dealership but non warranty can be repaired anywhere.