Profile For ShortRound

ShortRound's Info

Sumter, SC

Experienced Driver

4 years, 4 months ago

ShortRound's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  1 year, 7 months ago

Frieghliner cascadia 2015 lost gos satellite signal

I had the exact same problem with my last truck at Prime. They never did figure out why the truck would do that. It was something causing interference though, because I would lose GPS signal on my Garmin also. They finally put me on another truck, but I heard the old truck has been reassigned and the new driver is still having issues with it. You didn't say who you drive for, but the truck # was 649125.

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Load Locks

Dainelsahn wrote:

One of the reasons I love this site. I spoke with my DM. It is a requirement. However, he leaves it up to each driver's discretion, on whether to use them. I will have my mentor show me the ropes. An extra 5 minutes to secure the pallets can only save my arse. Thanks Gtown.

You're welcome and thanks for the plug. I'm sure Brett appreciates hearing that sort of feedback...

Yes. Glad you checked, better safe than sorry. And five minutes is an accurate time estimate required to do this. It also bodes well for you that you'd have the foresight and initiative to ask such a question. My rule of thumb on this topic: if the pallet is above 4.0' high, I strap it in. That said, Meat and Produce (M&P) pallets tend to be lower in height, less dense and more stable. FDD (Freezer, Deli, Dairy) tend to be higher stacked pallets (8'), more dense (heavier), and far less stable.

One additional question and point for you on WM load securement; has your Mentor demonstrated how-to secure the bulkheads to the logistics tracks? Case in point, many times you'll have two-three pallets remaining in zone-3; same number in the center section, zone 2 after your first or second stop. This creates a large space between the bulkhead isolating zone 2 from zone 3, creating zero stability behind/supporting the back of the remaining pallets in zone 3, allowing the bulkhead halves to pivot freely like a huge pet door. There are adjustable logistics straps built into the bulkheads used for securing to the interior sides of the reefer and center 3 or 4 velcro straps for fastening the center seem of the bulkhead sides. Securing the bulkhead in combination with the straps, basically surrounds the pallets with a securement point. There will be little chance to fall in any direction.

The above approach has never (knock on wood) failed me.

Yes he has. And we put the bulkhead doors right up to the next zone pallets if we can. And all the way forward, for the pallets in those zones to be placed as far forward as possible.

I have already lost skin to locking those doors in place, lol. Also, I think they discriminate against short people. I can barely reach the hook clips sometimes when lifting the doors.

I found a "5th wheel puller" works perfect for reaching those hooks for the bulkheads. I'm 5'2" and struggled with them for a couple months before I had the epiphany of using my "5th wheel puller".

Posted:  1 year, 8 months ago

Retiring from Military looking at getting into Trucking as a second career.

Since you are retiring from the Navy, I assume you probably have the GI Bill. Local private CDL schools are an option you may want to look at. The GI Bill completely covered my "tuition", plus I got the $1K housing stipend for the month I was in school. On top of that Prime reimbursed me for a percentage of my tuition. I'm sure other companies offer similar reimbursement.

Posted:  1 year, 9 months ago

Is it even worth it to keep your car if you're going to be OTR?????

It really depends on your personal situation. Making a monthly payment on a vehicle that sits in the driveway 98% of the time may not be worth it. My wife and I made do with 1 vehicle (not including my motorcycles) for about 2 years. Recently I bought an old pickup that I could pay cash for. This way I can park the pickup at the storage facility where I park my tractor on hometime. Now we don't have to coordinate our shedules if I get home at am odd time, and I don't have to drag her out of bed at o'dark 30 to take me to the truck. Liability insurance on the pickup is $25/mo. YMMV

Posted:  2 years ago

I'm Alive and Still in Training at Prime!

You need to throw "cattywampus" into the conversation. That's one of my favorites.😀

Posted:  2 years ago

Another new truck

Google search "Cascadia spot mirror antenna mount". That is how I have my "stalk style" antenna mounted. I only lose signal when I am in tunnels or very high berms to the south.

Retired Military to Driver

The experience you are getting part time will certainly help, but as others have said, some companies will require in house training or a certified school. Since you are retiring from the military, I assume you will have two tools available to you that can help out. First you will probably have 30-90 days of terminal leave available during which you can go to a certified school. Second, you probably have the GI Bill which will pay for most private trucking schools (it paid for mine). To sweeten the deal, many companies will partially reimburse tuition expenses for private schools. For example, I used my GI Bill to pay for school, and my company reimbursed me $1200 fornthe schooling once I was hired.👍👍

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Retired Vet with Class A CDL Needs Advice

If you are a retired vet, I assume you have GI Billbfunds available. Most reputable private trucking schools will meet the requirements to use your GI Bill. Most trucking companies will accept a training certificate from a school that meets GI Bill requirements.

Taking Healthy Food on the road?

I am very fond of my little 2qt crackpot. It allows me to cook on the truck while I am driving (I set it inside a small plastic washtub on the floor, and bungee the lid on to prevent spills). When I stop for the day I have a hot "home cooked" meal. Not sure that my cooking is "healthy", but with a slow cooker cook book and some creativity, you can make quite a variety of dishes. It is much better (healthier?), cheaper than eating out of the truck stops all the time.

Tough Call...What would you do?

First, (as others have mentioned) I'd inform my FM of the situation, so they can contact Sales to coordinate disposition of the load with the customer. Also your FM may need to take you off of your preplan.

Next, I'd contact Road Assist for instruction on how they would like to handle the trailer issue.

Most likely the customer is going to reject the load and want you to dump it (since it is dairy, and there may be safety concerns). RA will probably have you get the reefer repaired at the truck stop, or direct you to another repair facility. Once the trailer is fixed and product disposed of, get the trailer washed out and wait for the next load. Keep FM abreast of any updates to the situation, and prepare for a LONG day.

Making the Sleeper Cozy Like your Home

No no. I meant I'm still scared! :P

ooooooooh!! rofl-3.gif

That's great you're scared though. That means you've been listening to all sides and you're considering everything. We just want to make sure you've gathered as much information as you can so you can make the right decision for yourself.

I think I've read every damn forum on the interwebs on Prime leasing :D I'll figure it out. Worst case scenario I'll be company, and it's not a shabby gig at Prime at all. Though..I don't think I want one of those little trucks. Still need to learn the pros and cons of having one of those.

The lightweight trucks trucks are not horrible if you are creative with the space available. I have the passenger seat removed from mine (like many people do). I have a fridge, TV, cat (and all his supplies, as well as the regular stuff you will need to carry. There Ian't ALOT of room to walk around, but there is enough space to change clothes, etc.

I also cook on the truck with a 2qt crock pot, and plan on getting a microwave soon.

Fridge and TV are mounted solid with mounts I fabricated to bolt in existing holes.

I also invested in a used pickup bed tool box, which I mounted on the frame behind the cab. This holds all my tools fluids, and other things I don't need to access quickly (food stockpile, extra paper towels, kitty litter, etc.).

Everything is removable without damage to the truck. Quite possible to make the LWs livable if you are creative.

Specific Questions for Prime Drivers

Hi Missy,

Daniel B. answered your questions pretty thoroughly, but I'dvlike to add a few things, as I followed a very similar path as the one you are planning.

2. Since you are coming in with your CDL, you CAN do your orientation at the Pittston terminal ( you may need to request this from your recruiter). You will not need to go through the PSD phase of training if you already have your CDL. Pittston will assign you a TNT instructor, based on a few questions/waivers you will take care of in orientation. You will get a chance to meet your trainer before you leave out. Pittston doesn't have trainers hanging around the terminal/hotel like Springfield does. The orientation experience was moreblaid back and "small townish" at Pittston, than what I've heard others descride of Springfield.

3. Your dispatcher will have the greatest impact on where you run. When you meet your dispatcher, you will discuss your/their strengths, weaknesses, goals, expectations, etc. Keep in mind that it should not be a boss/subordinate relationship, it should be a partnership, as you will earn/lose money together.

4. The LWs are definitely smaller inside, mostly lack of storage, but with some creativity, they can be made to be reasonably comfortable for a solo driver. I HIGHLY recommend you have the passenger seat removed, if it isn't already. If you want to PM me I can send a few pictures of what I have done to set mine up. The more self sufficient you make the rig, the cheaper it is to live on the road.

5. When I upgraded to my own truck, I had time to thoroughly inspect it, and have the shop repair a few minor things. I was able to get the truck set up with the few things I had with me, then let my dispatcher know when I was ready. She got me a load, that allowed me to get a good rest, and pickup early the next morning. That first load took me near my home for some much needed home time after TNT. There you can finish getting set up for life on the road. Something I wasn't told about upgrade...the guaranteed pay stops when you go for upgrade. You only get paid $100 that week for the Smith System class. The longer you take getting ready, the longer you are not getting paid.

6. You will be ASSIGNED a truck, BUT if there are several available you can talk to Paul if you have a preference. He does not HAVE to care, but he is pretty cool and will usually work with you (hint: finish your CHRetien as quickly as possible, you MAY get a sneaky peek at the list of available trucks).

An in-depth look inside my LW truck (a must see!)

There's simply no room to mount a tv. Don't let that stop you though. I had a 32" tv in my LW truck before. I put it at the end of my bed when I wasnt using it, it worked out just fine. But there's not enough stable wall space for a tv mount.

Has to be a way. Im sure if I keep this post on top long enough someone will post a pic.

Not sure how good your fabrication skills are, but...I made a TV mount out of 1/2" plywood. It is cut to the shape of the sidevent window in the sleeper (with hole cut out to access the vent), which extends upward almost to the plastic trim above. This is backed with weatherstripping to prevent damage to the window trim. It is attached using thes factory holes with longer screws. Then you just attach a TV mount from Wal-Mart or wherever you shop. I have a 24" flat screen mounted, and it fits quite nicely. I also attached a surge protector to theplywoodd, giving me more outlets.

As for a fridge...I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit in the passenger side. The fridge is attached to the plywood, and the plywood attaches using the seat bolts (countersunk). I did have to install small eyelets into the woo so I could run a tiedown across the fridge for more security. The fridge faces the driver seat, and you have to move the rubber shift boot to open completely. To secure the doorsduring travel, I used some window latches for sliding windows. I used the large dorm fridge with seperate refrigerator/freezer doors. They are $129 at Wal-Mart.

I would post pics, but my fabricating abilities outshine my mobile upload abilities. 😄

If you would like pics PM me your email or text info, and I'll send them.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Prime Inc Preliminary Driving Skills Evaluation

I just went through orientation in Pittston in Apr. and they do the evaluation on a simulator there now also. I don't know about SLC.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Interesting situation, and difficult decision while in training

Thanks all for the replies. All your comments are comforting, that the way I was leaning is the way to go.

I didn't mean to imply that I WANTED to go with a new trainer. I was just weighing my options since the trainer put the offer on the table. I actually prefer to stay with my current trainer, just don't want to give a bad impression early on.

Thanks again. I think I will stay with my trainer, unless Prime forces me to switch.

Posted:  4 years, 1 month ago

Interesting situation, and difficult decision while in training

I have a somewhat unique situation and am faced with a difficult decision regarding my training. I'd kind of like some thoughts from outside view points. Bear with me, this may be a long post.

I started Orientation with Prime on Apr 13th and went out with a trainer as a C-Seat driver (40,000 miles training) that Friday. I get along well with my trainer, and he seems very patient if I need help with anything, We seemed to be running well as a team (at least in my rookie opinion).

Last Thursday, after about 8000 miles my trainer went home on hometime. I opted to stay on the truck at a truckstop while he was home. While parked at the truckstop on Saturday, the truck was backed into by another driver. Police reports, appropriate macros on QC, etc. all completed as necessary. Since the Peterbilt dealership wasn't open until Monday, I remained on the truck over the weekend (all the way into Tuesday), waiting for the parts to at least replace the mirror to come in.

We finally got the truck into the dealership for repairs Tuesday afternoon, and I spent last night in a hotel. After checkout time, I went down to the dealership and hung out all day hoping it would b finished today. About an hour before they closed, I was told by the tech that the damage was more severe than they originally estimated, and that they would need a wiring harness overnighted. So I am back in a hotel tonight, hoping that the mirror can be finished tomorrow. After the mirror is fixed, we will be routed into a terminal soon to fix the body damage (probably another 3 days downtime).

My trainer has apologized about the situation a couple of times (not that any of this is his fault), and offered to help me transfer to another trainers truck if I want. The thing I am wrestling with is pros and cons of each option, as well as how it may be perceived by Prime, either way I go.

Option 1-Stay with current trainer:

Pros-I already know, and am comfortable with my current trainer; I am learning things with this situation that I wouldn't learn holding the steering wheel on the interstate; Shows the company that I will stick with a situation through to the conclusion, and can roll with the punches

Cons-I am delaying my training, and not moving forward with my career; Company could perceive this as I am just hanging around for a paycheck

Option 2-Go with another trainer:

Pros-I can get on with my training miles, and go solo sooner; I would get a wider perspective (2 trainers methods of business); Shows the company I am a go getter, and don't want to sit around waiting for things to happen

Cons-Rolling the dice with who I end up with for a trainer; Company may perceive this as I will look to jump ship as soon as things go a little sideways

I really don't mind sticking with the situation, as I am still on my guaranteed pay and I am learning things such as dealing with Road Assist/Dispatch/Safety. I know the ultimate decision will be on me, but was hoping to hear other's opinions/advice. I'm probably overthinking this way to much.

Anyone who read to the bottom of this post, I thank you for your time and look forward to your thoughts.

It's finally official!!!!

Officially a Prime employee. Waiting to be assigned a trainer.

It's finally official!!!!

Day 2 down. Finished CBT's, simulator, and Smith System. Tomorrow we have a few more classes, and by the end of the day I should be a Prime employee.

It's finally official!!!!

First day complete. We have a small group of 9 people in orientation (this is a good thing). Everything is going smoothly. Got the paperwork filled out, physical, drug screen, and about half the CBTs. Tomorrow will be finishing CBTs, Smith System, simulator, and somewhere in there we should be doing our interviews. Really impressed with terminal.

It's finally official!!!!

Finally arrived in Pittston/Wilkes-Barre. Settled in and ready for tomorrow.