Comments By Fire Marshal Bill

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rpPo7Inv3kE/hqdefault.jpg avatar

Need windshield cleaning tips

I use regular Windex and then wipe it with a Clorox disinfectant wipes.

The two compounds keep the bugs from sticking when they dry after a splat and helps beads rain drops away.

Makes cleaning easier. Both are readily available on the road.

Nervous when taking my road test

Another thing that will help put your mind at ease. Most CDL examiner's have no clue of how to drive a tractor trailer.

Many examiners will understand that you are new to this and trying to make 1000 things that you just learned mere weeks ago work in synch with crazy 4 wheelers driving around you.

Many take those things into account when they are grading you. They are looking to see if you have positive control of the truck and make safe decisions when driving.

Just don't stall out and if you float a gear or two just make sure you move your clutch leg in unison.

Check your speed and watch those mirrors. Wear a baseball cap to help show them you are moving your head as if looking at the mirrors.

Good luck!

Company list who provide Paid training while obtaining cdl? Help.

I don't have a training thread for my KLLM training.

Classes start every Monday and on Thursday if you have your permit already. Classes are about 15 or so people for 3 weeks. They do a lot to help you and encourage you to pass and get your CDL. They will push you back to a newer class if they think you need additional help. They won't just kick you out if you fail a test. That is if they are confident that you can do it. Some people just stress out at testing. It is not hard at all. Weekends you are on your own. May have to do half day on Saturday sometimes depending on weather. Weekends you will also have to go to a secondary hotel that they have setup for you and then back to the original one on monday. All transport to and from school provided. Food is pretty good too. Breakfast and dinner served monday-Friday and sometimes on work Saturday.

Phase 2 will have you transfered to Lancaster terminal. Hotel provided plus food and transportation. You will do some paperwork there and wait for your trainer. When you get your trainer make sure you feel comfortable with them because if you are not then you will not do so well. The trainer is not your boss nor can they get you fired. If you get into it with them you can request another one. Dont be intimidated by them. My trainer was awesome! Mark Mitchell. He trained me very well and together we probably ate about 200lbs of sunflower seeds. You will be OTR for six weeks. I did 5 because my trainer was confident that I could pass the final evaluation back at Lancaster, TX. I got back on a Friday. They me the weekend off and I did my road test and past on the following Tuesday. Had the option of getting a truck on Wednesday and rolling solo. I took another weekend off and bounced out on Monday.

I pulled loads of various kinds (reefer) till I got to Jackson, MS corporate terminal and picked up a brand new Volvo with only 700 miles on it.

After that I ran like a grey hound.

Not a bad company.

Hope this helps.

Dog Crashes Semi Truck Into Gas Station

Lmao! You guys are nuts!

Dog Crashes Semi Truck Into Gas Station

He saw a squirrel.

Don't rush

Remember this military saying

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast."

Do everything by the numbers and your will be fine.

Company list who provide Paid training while obtaining cdl? Help.

Use the TT section on sponsored schools that Bret sent you. They will help alot. Being in OK has alot of advantages too and you are close to Dallas which is a major hub for trucking schools.

Personal experience: KLLM will pay you to attend the academy they have. Not much in during phase 1 training though. Enough to survive on while there. They do provide breakfast and dinner after classes. The rest of the time you are on your own. Phase 2 will get you about $550.00 per week when you are with your trainer. Waiting for a trainer is a pain because of the shear column of classes. You will have to wait. But they will let you wait at your house and still pay you if you don't live too far away. No-go for you. While waiting for a trainer they pay @$73.00 per day. Some people waited for weeks for a trainer. I waited about two weeks. Then off to the races.

Hope this helps.

My Noobie First Day as an Official WST Driver

Sounds like the start of a great career in trucking. The next year solo will be a big learning experience but it will be a blast when you look back and see how far you've come in a year.

You will get ticked off and mad but it's just the trucking life.

Have fun

What truck would you choose?

Get a Volvo if you can. You will not regret it. I drove a Volvo and it was luxurious. I drove and learned on a Freightliner cool truck. I now drive a KW and it is a very stable truck.

But can't beat the Volvo on creature comforts.

Truck Stop Etiquette

Love this topic!

Help out other drivers when it is clear that they are going to hit something.

I've jumped out of my truck like a paratrooper numerous times when I saw someone about to hit something. Bad thing is they were other drivers closer than me that could have helped.

Help each other out! No one cares about us but us.

First day of shifting and pre trip inspection

Welcome to the crazy world of truck driving!

The Adam's Family thing will help you out alot.

Old School mentioned monitoring your speed as well.

Here is a great tip to show you immediately what gear you should be in for a 10-speed rig:

Add up the numbers on the dash and that is the gear you should be in roughly.

1-9mph= 1-4th gear 10-14mph= 5th gear

Now just add the digits together: 15mph= 6th gear ( 1+5=6) 25mph= 7th gear 35mph= 8th gear

So on and so forth.

This is the easiest way to remember and after a while your shifting will become smoother.

Don't get too frustrated and always jump into the seat when the other students are too afraid. More time behind The wheel equals more improvement.

Good luck and have fun!

Sliding tandems for docking...do you?

I always slide mine all the way forward unless directed at the gate. But as soon as I clear the gates line of sight I slide them back full forward.

Just makes life easier when docking.

Once in the door and lined up I slide them all the way to the rear again.

What am I getting into?

Werner is a good company. The best way to look at every company is that the company is always good. The individuals running it is a different matter. I've been with Werner for eight months and I enjoy it.

No big issues that can't be fixed.

Werner?

I switched over to Werner from KLLM with only 4-months training and all I had to do was sit in orientation and do a driving test. You have enough time if it is all OTR to not have to ride with a trainer.

One guy in my orientation had 9 months experience and had to go with a trainer due to all of his driving being local.

Press forward. Werner will let you know the route you need to take.

Welcome aboard.

Texas permit ; Section 14 Special Requirements

I can confirm what Matt posted. I just took the permit test on Thursday 2/26/15. They only let you take the COMBO and SPECIAL REQUIRMENTS. And then issue you your permit. The permit is only good for 46 days. Study those sections only prior to taking the Texas permit test to get that done. Study the rest minus endorsements when attending school. The endorsements will NOT be allowed to be tested on in Texas until you have your CDL.

Love this site!!!