Comments By Josh S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/trucks.jpg avatar
  • Josh S.
  • Comments:

Celadon or C R England

As old school said there are better higher paying options to acquire training and a job. However if these two companies are the absolute only one you're interested in, I'd lean toward celadon personally.

APUs

These things are an actual motor with radiator and fans etc. So they can run as long as needed. As said they typically automatically start when battery is low or if ac temp is set it will maintain temp. You can manually start then and run them as long as needed

Is background a big issue or not?

Don't admit to ever trying drugs, out send like recently sunshine posted that they were denied a job offer because they said they had tried drugs before and the company reported it on the guys record. If you can pass a drug test then dont worry about it man, you'll just open a huge can of worms

The Roundabouts are coming

That's my signature move. Other day I was turning left off an exit, this lady had just turned into road from opposite off ramp. She sees me pulling left toward her and vibes flying toward me and slams on her brakes and throws her arms out the window. I smiled and waved and she told me I was number 1

The Roundabouts are coming

Other night in Kalamazoo Michigan I waited probably 5 minutes to have enough room to get out into the round about. It seemed like the cars were never going to stop coming

Speed Governors

The posted speed limit is the maximum legal. States usually also post a minimum of 45-55. Companies use them to get better fuel economy as well as increase safety and comply with their insurance companies requirements. Your still limited by the same hour guidelines.

OK so what's the deal with Prime lease?

It must have been who was teaching your particular upgrade class, I know in mine they asked who was going lease but that's because those people take different classes then company drivers. Only people I've heard pushing lease is lease drivers trying to say how great it is. As stated your friends say I'm making 3 grand, now subtract 950 truck payment, 1500 fuel, tire fund, and all the various things they pay and they might be left with a grand, now they need to set aside their taxes and provide their own health insurance. Personally I'll keep driving company and not having to worry about a truck payment, a blow out, etc. Prime does have one of the better lease programs in the industry, but the best way to do it is save money and get a loan to get your own truck. I'll agree it sucks not being paid all miles and I feel companies leave a lot on the table be not billing loads for actual driven miles. Michigan does suck with their road network.

Starting out. Question about Prime recruiting...

When you apply the system assigned you a recruiter to be your point of contact so your not dealing with multiple people. Were they able to give you the number to your recruiter. As stated asap get their email address because that will be the best way to get a quick response from him or her.

Naked Trucker Man

The jello wasn't the issue, it's what you were doing to the jello that is alarming

Adventist Truckers (making religious accommodations)

Flat bed companies would be a better fit because they slow down on the weekend, so I'd look into them. Also local companies and ltl tend to be m-f work schedules so there are options available to fit your needs better.

Compact fridge versus 12 volt cooler

I have an international light weight, I put in a traditional mini fridge (3 feet tall) with the small ice box up top and front opening door. I put a 1x6 under the front feet so it means back slightly and have had no issues with the door opening while driving. Then I ran the inside front seat bolt through a strap hook and was able to get the other hook between the floor and front of bunk. I've also seen guys who have a front seat put a short fridge on the floor between the seat and bed or cabinets in a full size truck.

Naked Trucker Man

Boobs are boobs, right?

Really rough day... :,(

Put a bear trap under the window so the pos steps in it if he ever tried that crap again

Personality conflict?

I wouldn't worry about it personally. As said very rarely do truckers interact with each other, except for saying hi occasionally as you pass each other. Trucking isn't what it was years ago when you had big burly truckers and large Marge from peewees big adventure. There is a lot of women out here doing this job and I've given someone with my company pointers and he's openly gay. Will people have their opinions, sure, that's society today, but I wouldn't let that keep you from doing something you think you would enjoy.

Specific Questions for Prime Drivers

You'll learn quickly that the north east in a big truck can be strenuous at times. Lack of parking, heavy traffic, rough winters, rough roads, tighter road network. Tolls aren't an issue since prime uses ez pass. Some guys love Walmart dedicated, I personally don't care for it because it's a lot of waiting. The back room employees can't open the door to let you in, management has to come let you in. Even with calling into the store and knocking on the back door, expect to wait for a while. Some stores are better than others, but the managers aren't going to make you priority.

Prime Regional

Key to the northeast is parking early. A lot of the dedicated runs require 2 years of driving for prime, I know for sure general Mills does because I had looked into that. Walmart I believe doesn't have a time expectation but I personally can't stand the Walmart runs.

Veteran Drivers with mechanical knowledge advice please.

Prime has us get our oil changes every 40k miles, some trucks go 50k between oil changes. I would check the owners manual for your truck and see what the manufacturer calls for

Prime recruiting conversation

For sure you will miss thanksgiving. Christmas will depend on your trainer and their fleet manager, so be prepared for that. You'll quickly learn sometimes in this industry things aren't ideal. But congratulations for getting in with prime, I'm sure you'll like it with them, I enjoy driving for them.

Specific Questions for Prime Drivers

I've had both the freightliner lw and the international prostar. Both lw trucks have the window curtains as well as sleeper curtains. International does have better storage, but I prefer the freightliner storage under bunk (international has a cut out from the front so air vents are recessed and can't store much in that area without blocking vents.) Solo drivers run more east coast and Midwest with the occasional western run but figure moreso east and Midwest. A lot of people I know have asked at truck assignment for a full size and have gotten handed keys without issue, but that is a 5cpm pay cut. When they ask what your wanting you could always say that you would love a purple truck if they have any. Purple was the owners mother's favorite color, so you'll see plenty of it in the terminals and fleet. As said when you get your truck, you will get a check list to look over the truck, do it thoroughly so you aren't blamed for existing damage and if it needs repairs they will get it into the shop. Then let dispatcher know when you're ready for dispatch. As Daniel b. said the day you arrive and the day you leave don't count against you, so you will have your full 4 days home. I wouldn't expect too many loads past the house in between hometime though, I can count on one hand how many times I've gone past my hometown with a load.

Off to Prime

Pretty straight forward, you give them the processing fee and they look over your application, job history, background, driving record and ask any questions that they might have. If you've been totally honest with them up to this point, then it really isn't anything to sweat