Comments By Josh S.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/trucks.jpg avatar
  • Josh S.
  • Comments:

Back up plan

When I started prime was my only choice that I truly wanted. Maverick seemed like a decent back up plan, but my sight was set on prime and thats where I ended up. I think you should be fine, you just have to get on with them and prove yourself and you'll be good to go

Sysco or Performance Food Group?

Pfg and Sysco are going to offer pretty much the same work environment. Both delivering to restaurants. If recommend to look at their benefits, pay, etc and see who seems like you'd be happier with.

Questions about Prime's Lightweight tractors

You don't necessarily do 10k as a psd, I think I did around 5k maybe, once your ready to test out and your trainer agrees you go back to test and once you pass they credit you for the 10k miles towards your training. The tnt phase takes 5-6 weeks if you and your trainer run hard and goes by quicker than you'd think. As far as a truck a lightweight is great fit for a single person but a pet would make it cramped and another person even worse. Prime won't let you modify the truck in any way that can't be undone to the way the truck looked when you recieved it.

Any comments about XPO Logisitics

Time to get my popcorn ready

Prime recruiting conversation

Also disregard the fuel bonus being fractions of a penny, it ranges from 1.7 cpm up to 8.2 cpm on the top end of pay

Prime recruiting conversation

Kenny, you won't go home during psd phase, which will take 2-3 weeks to get through. Prime prefers students to stay out at least 2 weeks into tnt which you enter once obtaining your license. Personally I only went home once prior to upgrading to solo because I wanted to get through training asap. You start earning the 700 per week once you get your license and are hired by prime, paid at 100 per day.

Help me i just wanted a job

Prime would've paid you good during training. Since I've gone solo, I'm averaging 850-1200 a week after taxes and health insurance. Obviously with ethic plays a part in your potential income. You might want to see if they will possibly give you another chance. You would be mostly team driving once the trainer sees you are capable of driving and time goes by quick.

3 Years Trucking Experience Celebration!

Congrats on three years man, glad you and your wife for some nice quality time together

Question about flat tires on company trucks

I've had blow outs and haven't been charged, but as said if you hit a curb and that makes it pop, then you might get charged. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just be aware of your surroundings.

Company Training and Licensing: Whats The Catch?

With prime they bus you to Springfield mo. They charge a 100 dollar processing fee and day to bring 50 for your permit. You sign a one year agreement, if you leave before 6 months you pay I believe 3600, if you leave between 6 months to a year you pay 1700. Upon completion of a year you are free and clear and only had to pay that initial 100. They don't deduct payments from you. They will put you up in their hotel until you leave with a trainer and also provide you 3 meals a day for your first week. They also provide your dot physical so you don't have to pay for that. While driving on your permit they loan you 200 per week that is paid back interest free in small payments once you get your license and are hired. They pay 700 a week for the remainder of your training once your hired. I was in a similar spot as you when I started, my parents business closed so I was working for a tell service barely scraping by and convinced my wife to let me make the plunge into driving and financially we haven't looked back since.

DOT Physical and Medical card

I live in Missouri and was able to take test but couldn't get physical permit till I had physical. I took my test results with me to prime and obtained the actual permit once I had done my physical at the terminal

How well are trucks maintained by the shop?

I can't speak for other companies but with prime the tractors are primarily 2015 and up. There are some 13s and a decent amount of 14s still but are being sold off. Trucks are usually gone by 450k miles.Trailers vary in age, we have some as old as 2006 still in use, but the majority are 2010 and newer. We are bringing in a lot of 16s, do they are selling off a lot of the older trailers to make room.

DOT Physical and Medical card

You will need your dot card to get permit. As Errol vv said they want to know you have a clean bill of health to operate a cmv.

A rock and hard place

Prime covers the dot physical, but you're on your own for paying for the permit, however you can get your permit during orientation. Definitely know the material for the test though because as a lot of people will tell you, it's hectic in orientation and you don't want to be trying to study on top of everything else you're expected to do. That would go for any company that lets you get the permit once they've brought you in for orientation.

Worst city to drive a truck in?

I agree with Atlanta, also dallas and Houston can be a pain

What happened to that driver?

Lol Daniel, competition just keeps things interesting

A rock and hard place

Prime has a 100 dollar processing fee to enroll in the program. They also say to bring 50 dollars to pay for your permit if you don't already have it

My girlfriend didnt know this and I bet a lot of others out there don't either.

These companies should put those decals on the trailers that say this vehicle is governed

Between The Lines Please

The brakes have to do with the meritor/Bendix radar system. On the trucks the lane mitigation system goes off if you get within a few inches of the line. As far as lane changes the blinker overrides the system, which you should be signaling anyways so that's not an issue

Between The Lines Please

Yeah I've encountered this several times. When I was with my trainer a driver was pushing us into the shoulder, trainer blew airhorn at guy and he didn't go back into lane. Then I saw a guy falling asleep on 80 one night, he was all over the road, swerving so bad I could see the whole side of truck and trailer. Also saw a kid driving for swift drifting onto shoulder repeatedly as I passed him he was playing with his radio. Then on 44 in mo a guy was passing me holding his cell phone up in his line of sight, probably on Facebook. I thought he was an idiot until he started drifting toward me forcing me to shoulder until I layed on the air horn. I ended up catching his company name and grabbed a trailer number and messaged the company about their driver being more concerned about his phone than driving. Prime equips their truck with lane mitigation systems that make noise if you start getting close to the edge of your lane, it can be annoying but I also think it could serve a good purpose if manufacturers started including it in their trucks.