Profile For George G.

George G.'s Info

lynchburg, VA

Preparing For School

5 years, 1 month ago

George G.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Example of a really annoying week.

((This is code for "The driver intentionally borked his 34 so he wouldn't be able to go into NYC."))

Sounds to me like a nefarious plot by Vladamir Putin and the Russians. I wouldn't be so quick to assume the other Driver did it intentionally.

Hahahahaha thats too good!

Example of a really annoying week.

Dude rock on. I bet that must have sucked but I bet your FM loves you!

Do I need my medical card first?

And to correct myself - before someone else gets around to it (I was in my car when I made the previous post) - the term isn't EXEMPT, but EXCEPTED.

DON'T TEXT AND DRIVE! Except when you are EXEMPTED!

rofl-2.gif

Hahahaha I second that!

OMG So Conflicted but Flattered (training )

George suggests:

Have you ever heard of the see one do one teach one.

While training you will be asked questions you may have never though of. You will have to evaluate and finely examine the proper ways of doing things. Its a win win if you approach it the right way.

Im a novice in the trucking world but in the communications world I have employed this technique to great success many times. If you are comfortable with the idea amd can work with many personalities I say go for it!

Good luck and have fun!

George this is completely different. A mentor or trainer is putting their life and possibly future career in the hands of a novice driver for weeks. Unless one is compelled and highly motivated to road train another driver, not something that should be agreed to under the slightest bit of duress.

Yes there are risks.

There are risks everytime you pull out onto that road. It ia my wish that someone who is competant and dedicated to their proffession as a true professional be guiding new drivers to success and not some jackwad whos just in it for the money.

I say only go for it if it is something the OP is COMFORTABLE with. If not its not like the OPs company would be unlikely to provide the OP the opportunity down the road had they a change of heart.

I may know nothing about the OPs capabilities but from what they stated I believe they are mindful and cautios in their approach to driving. A mentality that should be instilled in all professional drivers.

I believe the cold hard truth is try those the companies do to put competant, integral drivers behind the wheel of these massive machines, their screening process can only do but so much. The last line of defense, and possibly the most important, will be the field trainers.

One of the main reasons I looked for a decent site where I could receive valuable feedback from what I hope are outstanding safety concious drivers is to provide myself with a vital resource that I may bring questions and concerns that may imlact my safety and performance. The trucking industry is MASSIVE. I dare imagine you can spend an entire career in it and still learn something every day. That is intimidating.

G-town your response as always is informative and helpful. My posts did not mention the potential risks of harm wether to the poster themselves or their career. A good addage I believe.

I NEED HELP

Remakenthis thrwad in the general categories section. You will get more attention and help over there. Good luck! Have you been using the high road training program on this site?

OMG So Conflicted but Flattered (training )

Have you ever heard of the see one do one teach one.

Good luck and have fun!

Hired (so to speak)

Congrats!

Who did you go with?

Grrrr blood pressure

Good choice Patrick. I started the process with Prime last year and then my recruiter kinda fell off the face of the earth. Work got busy and lost touch with the company. This go around I sent out apps to all the majors I could and Roehl just happened to click with me. They paid for physical, given the option though I would probably go with Prime. If only they had contacted me. Im happy with things the way they are going now though. Good luck.

What is the best practice for getting the most out of your HOS?

Okay,

First off thank you everyone for the very informative replies.

Secondly the 11/14/70 is straight forward enough.

Thirdly..please tell me more about this sleeper birth vuduu...does it require a virgin sacrifice?

Grrrr blood pressure

It's pretty eye opening ain't it? I never really though I would have an issue with high blood pressure but lo and behold it wasn't were I wanted it to be.

Which company are you looking at?

What is the best practice for getting the most out of your HOS?

Just as the title says. Is it best to drive your 11 if you can or is there some kind of golden secret formula guarded by Buddhist trucking monks in some far away land that must be earned through deep dedication and tragic sacrifice?

Grrrr blood pressure

Great call on the water and banana's. I did a physical for CR England and my BP was about 147/90 if I remember right. 4 days later I did one for Roehl and it was about 20 points lower. In those 4 days I drank a lot of water and ate lots of bananas. Good stuff! Good luck!

Backing Practiceâ„¢ 20

Hey,

Why is this called backing practice 20?

Embarrassing

A tale as old as time. You want your family to live a good and happy life and you want to be a part of it too. Where is the balance between your happiness and your families. Do the two coincide?

I have been in the communications industry for the last 10 years. A lot of that work did involve travel. Not nearly as extensive as the OTR lifestyle. Nonetheless it was time away from home to make money to pay for said home. A lot of that work paid well, supported my family, but drained on me. I have had jobs that didn't pay as well but I loved to do. There is a balance somewhere and I believe I may be able to find a balance in trucking. The needs of my family are shelter, medical, dental, and food. The DESIRES of my family are luxuries, unlimited time together unhindered, all the money in the world.

Can I create a perfect equilibrium by trucking? No way. Could I do it with any of my prior jobs? No way. Could I satisfy more of the needs section than the wants section by trucking? Sure can. Can I satisfy more of the Desires section by trucking? No, but I think the only thing that could would be winning the lottery.

My point here is that I chose to go into trucking so that my family can hopefully find a decent lifestyle. I don't need to get rich, but I don't want to be poor either. There will be sacrifices, there are with any job. I believe the rewards that can hopefully be reaped from trucking outweigh those sacrifices. Either way I will hopefully have 150,000 miles to find out.

Good luck.

Truck Accident in Cali

All laws aside you are driving a big rig. It is always your responsibility no matter what the situation is to ensure you make the outcome as positive as you can be. If that accident could have been avoided via actions taken by you and it wasn't then you are at fault. Laws or not. Don't screw around with peoples. With the amount of responsibility you have been given you shouldn't just hold yourself responsible for your actions, you need to hold yourself responsible for the actions of those around you. When I was in the army we had a saying, stay alert, stay alive.

Good luck and drive safe.

You guys DO REALIZE that the other guy broke the traffic laws don't you? Put it this way, in court he would LOSE. HE WOULD LOSE. Do I need to cite other cases as precedents? I can show you guys cases that would clearly side with me, yet you people would STILL villify me. Because you need to get your way. Because of your mob mentality. I am talking about LEGALITY here. Could I have made more effort? YES! But when I changed lanes HE WAS NOT THERE. GET IT? Does that mean I would lose in court? NO! And that is what my whole rant was about. ABOUT THE LEGAL SIDE OF IT. So let me pose to you guys another scenario: I DO check my mirrors throughout the whole meneuver, and notice him swing around and try to pass. HOWEVER, I can't do anything because another guy just took the hole I vacated and now I can't get back. Now what?

Laws about tasers

Do collapsible batons fall under these categories anywhere?

This is why i never want home time EVER!

Reaper, I am sorry you have to deal with the environment that you are in. As far as the licensing issue with your fiance I believe you are right. The age at which someone can first obtain their permit they do need their parent or guardians permission and approval because they are not legally adults yet. Once an individual becomes of age to be considered an adult they then need to find someone who is willing to teach them to drive. I only know the laws of Virginia but they need 40 hours of driving with a licensed adult, 10 of which must take place at night. That is a big commitment for anyone to make to help someone learn to drive. While it may be unfortunate that your fiancee was unable to get her license it sounds like you guys are on the right track with the permit. I think you should encourage her to learn to drive and acquire her license. I did so with a good friend of mine and she was happier than ever when she got her license. It gave her a great sense of freedom. If I were you I would do everything in my power to get out of that negative environment and focus on the future.

I hope it all works out for you, good luck.

YATD - Yet Another Training Diary

Good luck John! I will follow your progress on APRS thanks for doing that. Good luck and drive safe!

High road question

Personally I would make the inquiry with my recruiter. They should be able to give you most accurate information. I do not know how the CDL Manual is layed out in your state, but in Virginia the manual lets you know which sections you need to study in order to get just the CDL permit without any endorsements.

This was Cool!

OOOOOOOOHH buddy the crazy ways I could think to use a wonderful device like this. Sprinkles on the worlds biggest bowl of ice cream perhaps. A good way to dump the sauce on the worlds largest pizza....sorry guys I'm hungry.