Profile For Brett Aquila

Brett Aquila's Info

Keeseville, NY

Experienced Driver

Brett Aquila On The Web

14 years, 3 months ago

Brett Aquila's Bio

Hey Everyone! I'm the owner and founder of TruckingTruth and a 15 year trucking veteran.

Brett Aquila's Photo Gallery Group 1 of 7

Posted:  4 days, 14 hours ago

Working load limit for flatbed

I'm putting together a new version of the High Road and I think there's a typo in the manual.

The old manual said:

The combined strength of all cargo tiedowns must be strong enough to lift one and one-half times the weight of the piece of cargo tied down.

The newer version states:

Federal regulations require the aggregate working load limit of any securement system used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half times the weight of the article or group of articles.

It says "one-half times the weight."

Shouldn't that read, "One and one-half times the weight" ??

Posted:  6 days, 7 hours ago

Good bye Pepsi

Banks, I respect you for standing up to them and their tyranny. Seriously, anyone who believes the mask and distancing thing at this point is as simple as a twig, has been asleep at the wheel for the past 15 months, and lacks any critical thinking skills.

Florida, Texas, South Dakota, Sweden, Taiwan, South Korea, etc......no mandates for masks or distancing, and no problems. Life goes on normally.

Wake up, people!

The more we refuse this tyranny, the faster it will go away. Companies will discover that it's nearly impossible to find enough good employees or customers if they enforce this type of nonsense.

Good for you, Banks! I support the move. I'm sorry you have to look for work now, but hopefully, that won't be a problem for you.

All the best!

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Lost consciousnesses went to hospital and cdl revoked after 3 days on 1st job

Big Scott, The only thing I can think of is that I had Pfizer V 3 days prior.

You received an experimental vaccine that throughout the world has caused many allergic reactions and even death. Three days later you had what appears to be a one-time incident. It's safe to say there's an excellent chance the vaccine was the cause.

Of course, if you listen to mainstream media, everything that happens after you're vaccinated is a coincidence. I am no fan of mainstream media.

Personally, I would do all I could to get that medical card back. Keep pursuing this. If the doctors can't find anything wrong with you, I'm confident you'll find one to sign off that you're cleared to drive. If you have no further symptoms during this process, and doctors can't find anything wrong with you, they should clear you.

I wouldn't just give up, I can tell you that. I'd look into it thoroughly.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

The Effect Of Vehicle Weight On Stopping Distance

Fortunately I've never had to test this theory while empty or loaded, so it's only gut feeling and opinion on my part.

It's interesting that after years of driving, none of us can really say with 100% certainty that we've experienced this for ourselves. We all understand the variables that factor into stopping distance, but how that equates to the minimum stopping distance in the real world is hard to say.

I will say this.........I do not expect that the rule will apply under all circumstances. I suspect there are some circumstances that a fully loaded truck will stop faster and others where the empty truck will stop faster. Slick roads vs dry, uphill vs downhill, a road surface temperature of 120 degrees versus -10 degrees, etc.

Who knows? Someone must.

Keep in mind, also, that rarely do they build anything to perform its best at the maximum recommended usage. If the GVWR is 80,000 pounds, did they really build the entire suspension and braking system to perform at its peak at 80,000 lbs? It's possible, but I do not know.

Interesting conversation. I enjoy these.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

The Effect Of Vehicle Weight On Stopping Distance

Driving a tractor without the trailer attached (Bobtail) is very tricky and indeed does require extra care when driving. They bounce around like a hard rubber ball...

So the statement in the manual is highly accurate.

That's true. They also put a limiting valve in tractors to limit the braking force on the drums when you're not attached to a trailer. This is to help prevent the drive tires from locking up. Unfortunately, that also means it takes a lot more pressure on the brake pedal than it normally does to stop. So you ease on the brake and the tractor barely slows down. You press harder and harder until finally the tractor slows down.

When I was bobtailing, I would always remind myself that I would need more pressure on the pedal.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

The Effect Of Vehicle Weight On Stopping Distance

You asked for member opinions & thoughts, but if they disagree with yours that's a problem?

Drops mic.

I have no problem with anyone disagreeing, but it sounds like you do Errol. I'm just having a normal conversation. I don't know what you're getting upset about.

Websites copy/paste stuff from each other all the time. All they're doing is creating an echo chamber where everyone repeats what everyone else is saying. Just because many people say something doesn't make it true.

Well, I've yet to hear any evidence, only theories, that a loaded truck stops faster than a lighter truck, as if the energy of the extra 46,000 pounds wasn't in the equation.

Where's Kearsey? She's in good with the higher-ups at her company. Maybe she can talk them into doing a little test somewhere, see which stops faster. I'd put my money on the empty truck on dry roads.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

The Effect Of Vehicle Weight On Stopping Distance

I'm afraid the "money quote" from that article was copy/pasted from the CDL manual. I just read that passage recently, so I recognized it.

From the article:

This would lead one to think that loaded trucks take longer to stop than empty ones, but I'm afraid that's not right. The breaks, springs, shock absorbers, and tires on heavy load trucks are specifically designed to work better when the vehicle is loaded.

From the CDL Manual:

So you can see they took that passage from the CDL manual and tried to massage it to appear "original enough."

Oh well.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

The Effect Of Vehicle Weight On Stopping Distance

Errol, from the article you quoted:

As a general rule of thumb, the faster the truck is going, and the heavier it is, the longer it takes for it to come to a complete stop.

I've yet to hear anyone mention the momentum generated by the heavier truck as a factor in stopping distance. You keep talking about traction as if that's the primary factor in getting stopped. When you have 46,000 fewer pounds to stop it makes a huge difference.

I'm not yet convinced that empty trucks take longer to stop than loaded trucks on dry pavement, especially with antilock brakes.

Yes, a heavier truck has more grip on the tires, but there is only so much braking force to stop the momentum of that extra 46,000 pounds the loaded truck has.

It just sounds odd to say, "I can't get this vehicle to stop as quickly because it's so light." That doesn't seem to be how physics works. Ask a race car driver, "If you take more weight out of the car but keep the same brakes and tires, does it stop faster? Or does it take longer to stop when it's lighter?"

The race car driver will wonder why you're asking such an obvious question. "Of course it's going to stop faster if it's lighter. "

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

The Effect Of Vehicle Weight On Stopping Distance

I'm putting together a new version of our High Road Training Program and I came across a statement in the CDL manual that I've always questioned. Here is the exact quote from the CDL manual:

The Effect of Vehicle Weight on Stopping Distance. The heavier the vehicle, the more work the brakes must do to stop it and the more heat they absorb. The brakes, tires, springs and shock absorbers on heavy vehicles are designed to work best when the vehicle is fully loaded. Empty trucks require greater stopping distances because an empty vehicle has less traction.

The extra weight on snow-covered or icy roads can certainly help you maintain a grip on the road surface, potentially allowing a heavier truck to stop faster than a lighter truck.

But what about on dry roads?

I don't know about you guys, but a heavily loaded truck on dry roads did not stop faster than an empty truck. No way.

I've always thought they should revise that statement to specify the difference between dry and slick roads.

What do you guys think?

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

A cautionary tale about Wilson Logistics...

We recommend that you apply to multiple carriers and speak with multiple carriers before accepting a position. Keep in mind that there are no guarantees unless it's in writing.

Nathan, the situation is worse than you know. Even if they had brought you into class, you're still not officially hired. They still have more background checks to do and you must pass the DOT physical and drug test first. They don't do thorough background checks until people arrive because they're so time-consuming and expensive.

So it's not uncommon to get sent home within a few days of arriving at school because of problems with your physical, drug test, or background checks.

Getting started in trucking can be a tough process. You just have to gut it out.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

League of Cities offers solution to truck parking problem

When I started trucking thirty years ago it was a rat race trying to find parking. Thirty years later? Nothing has changed. You can say that about 95% of trucking today. The essence of trucking doesn't change. What it takes to succeed today is almost exactly what it was 30 years ago. If you had driven back then, you could drive today. If you can drive today, you could have driven back then. It's the same beast.

That's why I decided right from day one that I would help people get their career off to a great start and find success in trucking exactly the way trucking is today. I'm not an activist trying to change the industry. I don't go on long rants about things the government must change. I'll mention a few changes here and there that would improve life for drivers, but I don't expect anyone in government to do anything about it. Well, at least they won't make it better!

Of course drivers are their own worst enemy as well, I've seen drivers throw garbage and human waste out the window and then wonder why places stop letting them park.

That will ultimately be the downfall of any parking opportunities. If anyone wants to open up parking for truckers, the lot will have to be maintained. Heavy trucks will break up the asphalt or dig holes in the gravel, and people will dump trash on the ground. There must be decent lighting and they may need security. All of that costs a lot of money, which means paid parking opportunities are all we can really hope for, and even those are almost non-existent outside of truck stops.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

From Eugene:

You know what? My second to last comment was probably the most unprofessional thing I’ve ever said. I wish I could take it back and I can’t regret it enough. I am genuinely sorry for it.

I just deleted that comment and in a way I'm also sorry you made it. It was so egregious that it's not something you can take back. You are clearly not the type we would allow in our circle, and now that you've exposed your true nature we'll be parting ways.

We won't be hearing from Eugene anymore, but we wish him luck. More importantly, we hope he learns to appreciate and respect the people who are working so hard to help him be successful.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Things Are Bad, Running Out of Time

From Eugene a few minutes ago:

I didn’t get that way by being unprofessional. I didn’t handle multi-million dollar accounts by being unprofessional. It looks as if I have to return to this industry now, so if you want to learn something about professionalism, I’ll be glad to invite you to my office to teach you.

Also from Eugene, just a few hours ago:

Thanks for the encouragement, *******.

I realize that now but it’s too late.

Go **** yourself you piece of ****.

Ah yes, this must be that professionalism you were talking about. Obviously you're not unprofessional!

That's fantastic, Eugene. Thank you for that. I normally would take that filth off this website, but this is a good lesson. Claims people make about themselves are often wildly off base, and so is the blame they place on their trainers and the companies they work for.

I lost count years ago of how many people have come here complaining about their trainer or their company, telling us they were exemplary students with a powerful work ethic and a personality that would warm the hearts of frozen snowmen. Then, soon after, when we dig a little deeper and figure out something isn't right about their story, they suddenly start cussing us out and giving us the real scoop about what went wrong and who was the real problem.

So folks, when you hear people tell these sob stories about how kind and hard-working and dedicated they were to their company but they were treated like garbage for no reason, keep this example in mind. This is far more common than you would believe.

Posted:  2 months ago

Why I avoid terminals like the plague

Lets not forget the ones who believe covid 19 is fake.

Well then, let's give a shout to those who believe everything they hear on TV, can't think critically, and can't put together the obvious clues that are right in front of their face.

When you see censorship and only one opinion is allowed, you should know there's an agenda at play. If you don't know this, you don't know history.

Censorship?

Florida?

Sweden?

87% of the deaths were in Democratic states?

PCR tests never meant for mass-testing?

A "necessary" vaccine for a disease that only affects 4 out of 10,000 people?

Vaccine passports?

Churches and schools and small businesses closed, but major corporations and liquor stores remain open?

Welfare for the masses?

Cuomo's lies?

Think.

Posted:  2 months, 2 weeks ago

MAJOR Congratulations, Daniel B. ~!!!

That's awesome man! Congrats on one of the biggest moments in a lifetime. You have a great marriage, a strong great career, and now a beautiful baby! Fortunately for all, you did it in the right order, too!

Wonderful news and a huge congratulations!

I don't think we've ever had dancing bananas for a baby. Now is the time!

dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif dancing-banana.gif

Posted:  3 months ago

Back from the TT Graveyard with the CULMINATION of my next phase of my journey:

Hey millionmiler! Congrats on the apartment! It sounds like everything is going great for ya!

Make sure you're having plenty of fun out there! Weird advice, right? I say that because I know you're working hard and you're dedicated to your company and your profession. You're serious about being the best you can be.

So the biggest risk for a guy like you is burnout. Run hard enough, but not too hard. Take time off, enjoy that apartment.

Oh....and don't get caught up in all the glitz and glamour of Des Moines!!

Awesome hearing from ya man. Your story is one of my favorite.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Got my first Nos

There's a video on YouTube showing a huge driver referral bonus. The video is dated 2019, but it's still up. Is this program no longer available?

CFI referral bonuses can mean big money

$1,250 after driver delivers the first load

$750 after 6 months

Posted:  3 months, 3 weeks ago

Mental Health Disqualifiers

Hey everyone.....I just wanted to let everyone know that any comments made to this topic will be approved manually. I've gotten some reports about this one, which I hadn't been watching, but now I see this has gotten a bit out of hand.

So please, folks, let's take a step back for a moment, take a deep breath, and gather ourselves a little before responding. Try to keep the emotions under control and speak to each other with respect. No personal attacks.

These are incredible times for all of us, so I understand we're on edge right now. Let's maintain our dignity and respect for each other and continue having helpful conversations.

Posted:  4 months ago

Obtaining CDL and moving out of NYC

If you're single with no kids, why don't you just move your license to a relatives house and live in your truck. You can take home time at airbnb's around the country and rent a car when necessary.

I love that advice. I lived in my truck for most of my 15 year career. Didn't have a home or vehicle of any sort. Most of the time I could carry everything I owned in two duffel bags. I had my license at the time in Florida because they have no state income tax. My mom lived there and I used to visit her down there so I just made that my "residence." I enjoyed no state income tax and lived on the road.

Posted:  4 months ago

What are my chances

Welcome, Benjamin. Really sorry to hear about the incident, but really thankful everyone is ok. It's always terrifying how quickly things can go wrong on the highway.

Yes, you will land another job, but it won't be easy. You might have to settle for a job or company that isn't high on your list, but necessary to get back in the game. There's no secret to landing a new job. It's just going to take a lot of filling out applications like crazy until someone gives you a shot, and they will.