Profile For Jetguy

Jetguy's Info

Missouri, MO

Rookie Solo Driver

5 years, 2 months ago

Jetguy's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Jetguy's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 day, 7 hours ago

Requesting some assistance...

Does anyone know the name of the recruiter on this site? He is very knowledgeable and might be able to help.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

A Week in the Walmart Private Fleet

Thanks Turtle. Like Old School you’ve found a way to make a fine income. $480! I wonder if a guy could break $600? Or more than that?

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

A Week in the Walmart Private Fleet

Also, you wrote that you could have shut down at the end of the day, but instead yoU grabbed the reefer, so you’d be set for the next day. Love it! You then found out you had a freezer problem and were able to take care of it on the first day (plus saving the frozen goods). So now you’re set with a load for day 2. Unless, I assume WM could change- and give you a different load.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

A Week in the Walmart Private Fleet

Neat! Like the details. Do you have a sleeper cab- so that’s where you’re sleeping? So sounds like you work 5 days then home weekend? Thanks !!

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Down time.

We run team so not much down time. When we get it then it's time to do laundry, relax, watch tv, and take a walk. We also cook on the truck so grocery run and food prep

Wow Michelle V, just read your training at Cre, another lady with vodka Filled water bottles, and the lady that failed driving through a too-low underpass. Quite the stories! Sad also. Love to hear more.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Scale question

Very good- Learned a good point- in this situation, put the extra weight on the drives, after driving a little while, there is no problem. Thanks!!

Posted:  4 weeks ago

Joining the Family & Getting Ready to Leave!

I can’t answer all your questions, but when I trained in 2016, I got a rental car at Springfield-Branson National Airport. I remember calling the Prime shuttle once, the wait was a couple hours, so I took a taxi. Did you ask the recruiter if you can park a motorcycle there at Prime? Motorcycle sounds like a great idea. Prime is fantastic!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

The Adventures of Daniel B.

Daniel- really appreciate this, alot of gems, very helpful and love your optimism. Next- read Old School's wisdom.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Advice for staying happy on the road.

Exercise can be done while on the truck, and it doesn't take much to do. Exercise promotes good blood flow and can help to keep you energized. I keep a workout band in the truck, some people use dumbells, whatever works for you.

(Continued)

Sambo, the workout band- could you provide the name of it, so I know what to buy. And thanks- good suggestions.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Prime PSD for CDL holders

Kearney- Excellent!- Your quote below!! Good info and concise. I had the same question as Paul. .

Hello and welcome to TT. I have been a Prime driver for almost 5 years and a team trainer. You will go through the program but not test out with the DMV examiner. You must have kept your DOT physical.up to date however, if not, your CDL was already downgraded. In that case, you would go through the program and test.

it happens all the time, so no big deal.

😁🤞 good luck

What's everyone's thoughts on starting with prime?

Prime is going to automatics- 10+ mpg vs around 7 for manuals. If you test in an auto you get license restriction for auto only. At Prime, if it were me, I might go with trainer in auto, but manual would be my 1st choice. I would ask for time to learn manual and test in it. I do not know what Prime will say about Learning the manual as I stated.

If and When I leave Prime, I want to be able to go to companies with manuals.

I have been with Prime 3 months and drive a 10 speed manual.

My last trainer is a brilliant man. He will go to auto for next truck. He has had a lot of damage done to his manual transmissions by trainers. Of course every trainee is different in their progress. He runs 54 mph. He figures the fuel savings will be around $200/wk- that is what he'll get.

Snow.. I will NOT jackknife my rig

That's Tomah WI.

Snow.. I will NOT jackknife my rig

Tomahawk WI.. HWYS 90, 94.. paved road just starting to become snow packed.. I'm company driver for Prime.

Yep, I'm the guy everyone's passing.. right lane driving 39mph.. I have no problem going slower.

Been passed by 10 rigs or so, many cars.

And guess what.. my following distance is 1 football field... so 4 wheeler changes lanes in front of me, spins, ends up in ditch left side... everyone slows down then keeps going.

No problem. I slow down, keep going. What about dumb head 4 wheeler behind me about 40 feet? Nothing happened to him. I'll tell you though.. someday.. a small car is not going to be able to stop, hit my dot bumper, and that might be his end.

Advice- ranks in top 5 on my list

Brett has consistently written: stay with your 1st company a year... if you take company training, they are vested in you... if you screw up they will help you... they want you to succeed.

TRUE... ABSOLUTELY

My 1st load went perfect... I am now a trucker. Company driver.

And then the 2nd one... $&@"?!$&@?!

1am, pitch black, driving country roads, and then that left hand turn thru a train trestle... the concrete abutment... I turned too sharp, didn't use my mirror... STUPID... damaged trailer.

Result- called dispatch... had taken pictures... talked to dispatch, road assist, safety... I told everyone- I will do anything to keep my job.

Police were not involved... thankfully... I was sent to get mt trailer... load was transferred to mt. How many thousand dollars did that cost my employer?

I am STILL employed at Prime. Just got a 920 mile load to Atlanta.

THANKS to everyone for the advice!!!!!

Hot Brakes

A better answer is... Do no let this happen.

Hot Brakes

So what is that guys next step? Can that be cooled off and would it be drivable? I would think the rubber is compromised. Is it about to go on fire?

Nancy- I would be standing there with a fire extinguisher. I would want it to air cool, hoping I could drive it to a mechanic. I would not throw water on it, unless there was immediate danger of trailer or anything igniting. I'm afraid water would crack or warp it making it undriveable and I would prefer to get it to a repair shop. I would think a person would get fired for this, if the company knew about it.

Anyway, my thoughts... I could be wrong.

My thoughts...this day out on the road with a trainer

Robby- my trainer was from W Africa. So I completely understand.

He has the virtue of patience. In my experience, it's common for trainers to become impatient and yell. A lot of times that is not helpful and can make the situation worse.

Quick question....Going downhill ...

The combination of the lower gear along with the effectiveness of the Jake brake at those higher RPM levels should keep you from going too fast, but at times if you get to rolling too fast then you want to gently slow yourself down with the service brakes by holding the pedal down for twenty seconds or so, just enough to slow you down to about five to eight miles per hour below the speed that you are comfortable with, and then let off so that as your speed increases a little your brakes can cool a little.

That's a big help OS. I will go to a lower gear. I am wearing out the brakes too much.

As I eat dinner, I thank the trucker!

You can haul anything if you set your mind to it and work hard with safety as the priority.

Thanks. A good reminder for a #1 priority.

I just finished TNT at Prime. Have talked to FM about getting more backing practice.

I have learned on the road that when someone asks you if you're a rookie to say: no, sometimes I just have a bad day (in backing). People tend to look down their nose.

The Importance of Trip Planning and Good Timing

He did put two hundred dollars layover pay on me though,

$200 sounds good

Where I work $15/hr detention as company driver. A lease guy just got $430 for about 6 hours detention. I know detention and layover are 2 different things. I haven't heard of anyone getting layover where I work.