Comments By RedGator

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/redgator2.jpg avatar
  • RedGator
  • Comments:

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Pretty much all I can do. Alot of our Fleet is experiencing similar issues but to me when you promise me its going to get better and it doesn't it kinda upsets ya. But Im tired of stressing it. Things will be exactly the way they should be.

Bummer Red Gator :(

On the other hand, I am a huge proponent of positive thinking. If I was in your shoes (I have small feet, they might fit) I would stay focused on my goals and let the chips fall where they may and reasess

smile.gif

Newbie truck backing problems...

To help you with getting straight when you are committed to the door use your little mirrors to help you line up. The big mirrors are set at an angel so you will always feel crooked but the little ones provide a straight line view. PS you dont have to get it in one shot. Sometimes i do and sometimes i pull up alot and ive been at this 2 1/2 yrs.

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Well Hello again all:-) I figured I would give a quick update. This post was originally written while I was on hometime. Ive been out of the house a week now and Im sad to say that Im not impressed and getting more frustrated by the day. Its sad as Im usually the one to find the silver lining in any situation Im struggling with this one here. I came out if the house last Tuesday 5/12. I was ready and available at the truck by 8am. By 10 still no load so I emailed my DM. He was out sick on Mon and the fill in forgot to send it to me. Load picked 100 miles away on 5/13 @11am. 27 hours after I was due out of the house..........Bad start. By 12:45pm I get an emergency text asking if I can be 90 miles away to pick up a ld by 1500. So I roll. Delivers 5/14 4am-12pm. 736 miles away. I make it and dock 5/13 @3:30pm at Panama Banana in Chicago. By 10 am the next day Im unloaded with no plan. By 11:30am 5/14 im frustrated, in need of a shower and coffee so DM suggest to head to a TS. When im pulling out of the receiver Im told to head 85 miles to Rochelle, IL to pick a ready load up. Cant get all the details as im rolling but when i arrive its going 632 miles for 5/16 18:30 delivery at Walmart in Clarksville, AR. 3 full days on 632 miles...........Load is in need of a rework as well. 2180 over on the tandums so I get reworked still with plenty of time to even put my truck in the shop (minor thing) and still sit over 20 hours in a TS and make an ontime delivery *sigh*. Next load is a d/h sceheduled to pickup no later than 5/16 @18:33 112 miles away 3 min after my live unload is scheduled. *sigh* Delivery scheduled 5/18 @2:00am in Newport, MI 832 miles away but CS is working a reschedule as that isnt going to work. Monday still no reschedule so I call receiver who tells me they cant take me as i won't be there til 13:45 and they leave at 1400. *sigh* So my total miles out of the house turned in for Mon by 1600 is 1510 *sigh* Reschedule is for 5/19 @4:00. New plan: 156 mile DH to pick up in Paw Paw, MI by 5/18 by 23:59, 2stops 5/19@2:00 and 5/19@11:00am total miles 321. Obviously I cant load if im not delivered yet so appts have to be rescheduled........5/20@2:00am and 5/21@6:15am...............*double sigh*..............Its not looking good folks. Ill keep you posted. I have until 6/11 when I go for hometime......

Automatics VS Manuals

Having driven both I prefer my manual. I personally found the auto to make me alittle lazy. As my auto still had a clutch I didn't get the benefits in traffic I could see how that would be nice for city driving but Ill stick with my "stick":-)

Bad Roads in Colorado

I leaned my lesson on vail my 4th month out. I learned to avoid I70 west of Denver and all thr secondary roads.

I can't find a job

Getting local fresh out of school is near impossible. Focus on going regional or otr first. Do not limit yourself to companies based out of TX either. They only need to hire from your area. That being said its a time sensitive thing with how long you have been out of school. Most companies only allow 30-60 days after you graduate your cdl program.

Packing

There is laundry at most truck stops. Depending on how you are running you should be able to do laundry once a week.

I feel like I am getting gipped

Tom I know with your company you will not see .44cpm otr. My advice stick out the rest of your 1st year them you can move off that account, go OTR, see the country and still make money. Ill tell ya nobody wants to run that NE Region thats why thet have told ya no. Im also impressed that is the hardest region to run in and your doing it as a rookie!

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Thanks Fatsquach. Unfortunately my living area is a blessing and a curse. So many folks want me NE Regional and I hate driving the NE. That was one of the other issues i was having with my company coming out of the house they always wanted me to get on those short LTL runs which is one of the reasons my miles were dropping.

You're really in kind of a uniquely advantageous position. You're a proven top-tier driver, you have a track record of longevity with your company, and you live in a major freight lane. It's not surprising that companies would be falling all over themselves trying to recruit you as soon as you cast the line out there. Nor is it surprising that some of the top brass would be falling all over themselves trying to get you to stay. In the end, though, sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side, and the only one who can decide what's best for you is you. Whatever decision you ultimately make, I'm sure it will be well thought-out and one that you're both comfortable with and confident in.

Good luck!

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

I rarely ever. I prefer to let things resolve themselves if I can. Too many whiny complainy folks in this industry already. But every now and again i will express myself. Like I tell them though this job is like a marriage you can only take it to counseling before you get a divorce lol

Squeeky wheel gets the oil. If you dont squeek you might not get the oil. So go ahead and squeek!

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Thanks RT. Im more of a short sweet and too the point kinda person but Ive tried to keep everyone in the loop on my journey .

RedGator, you were here when I started and helped me understand what I was getting in to.

Thank you.

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Lol hey you know where to find me lol

Just glad to see our resident bada$$ back here aka Redgator, I was going to file a missing persons report on her! Good read, hope things are better for you now.

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Hey Jopa thats the problem. Too much rest! Lol Hopefully you get up and running soon.

Hey RedGator, Jopa here ... I know you will land on your feet cause you always do ... be interesting to see what happens so me and a bunch of people will be following your thread to get the latest ... hang in there and have faith it will work out the best way it can ... meanwhile, get some needed rest, eh? Talk to you soon ...

Jopa

smile.gif

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Larry I totally want to make this clear I really dont think rookies or experienced drivers should be combatative nor feel like they have the right to call the shots. Not unless your prepared to deal with the cconcequencces. Im in a unique position. From day one ive generally been liked and accepted by office staff and drivers alike. I work really hard on the formulation of all of my professional relationships. While most drivers deal with their DM and that's it I go and sit down and chat with everyone from the owner to the VP to recruiting to customer support. Why you ask? Because one day I will move back into the corporate world and the formulation of relationships is super important there. 2 i generally like most everyone at my company. I do not however take that for granted nor feel like im owed special privelages because of it Pat truly hit the nail on the head. I really dont think that she thought i would say ok. That being said I had all bases covered. I have plenty of money in the bank. I had another company willing to put me in a hotel paid for 4 days until oreintation began and my ex trainer lives 5 miles from our terminal and was willing to come and help me clean out my truck. Whether i stayed or went was irrelevant. I had all my bases covered. I truly do enjoy my company but sometimes i have a tendency to let my emotions overshadow the facts. I can like ppl just fine but at the end of the day the name of the game is money. You dont sacrifice all that time away from your family to bring home a "mcdonalds" paycheck.

Here's the big thing I am taking away from this (Experienced drivers, please chime in if you see issues):

- Being recognized as a top 10% driver in your company two years in a row affords you the ability to question issues and get results. I get Old School's message: Try this as a newbie and your miles dry up and you are out looking for another job.

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

I appreciate everyones insight and comments. It might take me awhile but im going to respond to everyone. Brett yes i did get to speak with other drivers and no I was not being singled out freight was slow for a few weeks and still semi slow. I spoke to other drivers as well as many a upper management. However, like I explained to them. If you have a driver that you know is upset having them sit 24 hrs here or there is only giving them ample time to search for other eemployment and further upsetting them. Ive been around awhile I know things get slow. Its just a fact of trucking but i dont think me wanting to avg. 2500 miles a week is too much to ask. I unlike alot of drivers love the OTR lifestyle and truly feel "alive" when im rolling down the highway. Sitting at a truck stop for long time periods truly depresses me. I need to stay rolling. Im out usually 4 to 5 week's and no i dont do 34 hr resets otr because its too much sitting. Also do yall know how many strange looks i get when im at a truck stop too long?

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

Maybe it is. I just wasnt ready for things to end that way. If I go it will soley be my decision. A carefully thought out decision. I will fix things until they cant be fixed.

The funny thing about grass is. Sometimes it IS greener on the other side. For your sake I hope things work out where you're at. If not I'm sure you'll be able to find a well paying seat somewhere else.

Growing Pains on the road with WEL

PS. I forgot the biggest part of my reply. I was honestly and truly surprised by my DMs response and quite taken aback. I really have no idea where her animosity came from towards me. We have worked well together for many a yr with limited issue. A few folks in the office had their own ideas. Nothing seeming to do with me personally however DMs are ppl too and sometimes we all get "burnt out".

Ive always appreciated your replies Old School. Let me add a few facts to the bigger picture. This is not the first time Ive had this issue. Fact is about every 6 months ive gone through this. Last year we lost one of our owners and after that the company as a whole started changing just not for the better. We have lost a lot of really good drivers that just didnt want to stick it out. We have also lost a whole bunch of our accounts. The DM thats I spent 2 1/2 yrs with is known for her bullying ways. I had just never put my foot down with her before. Ive pretty much accepted whatever and not questioned much but an average of 2000 miles a week just isnt enough. I dont work OTR to sit in truck stops. Its depressing. I am not to say that Im 100 percent right at all in this matter but if I was 100 percent wrong I wouldn't have had 10 ppl begging me to stay either.

Recruiting Women?

Honestly Shawn as an experienced driver who just talked to a zillion recruiters lately, it shouldn't be any different recruiting a woman as you do a man. With rookies yes you need the trainers. That is a major issue that most of us have faced or are facing. Freightliners are more woman friendly in my opinion so if your company has those I would make that known. Other than that the only thing we require is equality.

I can't find a job

What companies have you applied to?