Profile For Jrod

Jrod's Info

Omaha, NE

2 years, 12 months ago

Jrod's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Jrod's Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 week ago

Dui and wet reckless tickets

Sometimes, you can find one of those 2nd/3rd chance companies, but what I have seen looking at thousands of applications is that the Ag market is always looking and will give anyone a chance if you can sell them on you.

It wouldn't be the path I would recommend to start your trucking career, as those places can be notoriously difficult to obtain employment verification from, but if your mind is made up, you CAN do it that way.

I'd still try to work on keeping your license clean, no more major or minor violations. Example: A "Following too Closely" ticket with a minor fender bender, even in your personal vehicle is only a 1 pt violation on your MVR. But to trucking companies, its almost as bad as a DUI, and worse than a +15 MPH speeding ticket.

I'd work on driving like a professional every single time you get in your car for a few years before moving forward. No one's perfect, but in trucking, it is the expectation.

Ag Market = Farmers and Co-ops... tiny rural grain/produce haulers, etc. Probably not Monsanto or anything like that...

Posted:  1 week ago

Dui and wet reckless tickets

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Automatics for Millenials?

Us too here at GO Express- most of the Automatics we have are with the 55+ crowd. The young bucks are still trying to prove they are "REAL" truckers and insist on manual transmissions, while the smarter, older ones have figured out the "work smarter" technique.

My company has been on automatics exclusively for years now. The fuel savings alone has been tremendous. And I think you're over estimating the amount of "old guys" that would rather drive stick. Most of the old farts I work with prefer the autos. They're just tired of the stick.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Automatics for Millenials?

Sort of like "Power Steering for Baby-Boomers"...

Same thing happened then - "You need POWER-STEERING?!? What are you? Some kind of wuss that can't turn your truck? Dang Baby-Boomer/GenX Steering Wheel holders..."

Can you even imagine not having power steering now? Same excuses too: "But I prefer manual steering because I can feel the road better, and I can tell when my tires need changing or more air..."

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

How NOT to Have a Good Looking Application...

No problem, Jason!

I hope everything works out well for you - the info you sent me says that you could be (and probably are!) a great asset to your company. If not, you know where to find me...

That being said - refer back to the many professional athlete metaphors in the blogs posts from this site. It's a competitive, performance based business, and you're only as valuable as you make yourself. You keep those numbers going and you'll be a Top tier player. You can't be a flash in the pan (not saying you are!) with a couple months of strong effort, you have to work hard to get to the top tier, and then work harder to stay there!

Indeed, and well said

JRod, I am glad too see this on here, if it were not for this site and everyone on here, I wouldn’t be the driver I am today. Its good to see the other side of the spectrum from the personnel side of things. Gives insight into the selection process, seems like the same old excuse.

I am not one to judge, I am the person who understands the most. I had a rocky first few years partly because of my wife having cancer x2 and beating it, and because I was a knucklehead and kept trying to improve my paycheck status and home time, however if it were not for learning and applying what I have learned on here, I wouldn’t be what people call a top tier trucker.

Glad to see you saw it, and found a way to fix it!

That's the thing - it's not an overly complicated fix for someone with a work history like my original post. It's not always pleasant or easy, but its not complicated.

Pretend you're starting over. Treat your current company like its your first company, and stick with them for 18-24 months. Focus on keeping your CDL clean. And in 18-24 months if you absolutely hate your company, have given them every opportunity to fix what you think doesn't work for you, and have physically sat down with them and they STILL can't make it work... Then you can start looking around. Don't quit a place until you have a Plan B. I also see so many "quit because not making enough money" and then a 1-2-3 or more month gap before their next job. I bet they were making more money working than not working!

Honestly, no one in the office will call someone a "Job hopper" who is giving companies 12-24 months at each stop. It's not perfect, but it definitely won't tarnish your reputation. Companies don't like losing drivers like that AT ALL, and you will usually find they are much easier to negotiate with once your service can be measured in "years" vs "months".

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Worst Instructor Ever

It's called TruckingTruth - and sometimes, the dress DOES make you look fat, honey.

Encouragement is plentiful here, but sugarcoating is not.

You can do it, Jerad!

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

How NOT to Have a Good Looking Application...

Glad to see you saw it, and found a way to fix it!

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

How NOT to Have a Good Looking Application...

I was involved in a single vehicle rollover accident in 2016 in my personal vehicle with no tickets or citations issued and no property damaged and no one else involved except for myself and I had minor injuries. This was prior to having a CDL. How do companies look at this? I have some say no and some have said come back in a few years and then I have had some say they do not care. If it is an insurance thing how do they know without checking with their insurance? Some say safety has to clear me? I do not have to worry much right now as I thankfully have a job but I mainly just wanted to know how they determine these things?

If it was deemed a "preventable" accident by your company, it's not going to be great. Failure to maintain lane of travel, Leaving the roadway, having a tow away accident (Or needing a wrecker to get it upright), and a DOT reportable accident with injuries (yourself included) doesn't get most insurance companies really excited. If there is a ticket included, its probably going to be a 3 year disqualifier for many places. No matter what, I would highly recommend having a copy of the accident report available for any potential employer to inspect. (that goes for any accident, always get and keep a copy of the accident report, and dash cam video if there is any. Otherwise, the company you were driving for will have 100% of the narrative for all future employers going forward.) Of course, there are a lot of companies out there that get to use their own judgement. Rarely is any single incident going to be enough to make a driver "un-hireable". You'll find a decent job out there, just make sure you're honest with yourself, figure out WHY your accident happened, and work really hard at making sure that never happens again. I know, you know, everyone knows - accidents happen. But... I also look at applications daily where you have OTR drivers with 10+ years of no accidents, no moving violations, etc - it is possible. They are driving down the same interstates, with the same trailers, surrounded by the same idiots... You can do it too!

Posted:  4 weeks ago

How NOT to Have a Good Looking Application...

So I get at least one application like this every day. Today, when I called (We promise to call and talk with anyone who fills out an application, even when its a rejection) to tell them we were considering candidates with stronger work histories, this driver got pretty rage-y. Raised their voice. I tried to recommend something else for them, but I was just another evil person who was out to ruin their life, and that was it.

This is exactly what was on the app they sent to me, and then they got mad when we wouldn't "just give me a chance!".

I wanted to say "Looks like a lot of places gave you a lot of chances, driver" But I didn't.

PS - I know my numbers are backwards, but I didn't feel like re-typing them all, sorry!

(All names and identifying features have been removed - but trust me when I say he went from decent companies to OK companies to companies I had never heard of to "3rd chance" companies...)

0981291001529696022.jpg

Now I'm not posting this to shame anyone, I'm just trying to show you what happens when you DON'T heed the free and valuable advice that the pros here at TruckingTruth offer you. This driver can't get out of a vicious cycle, and can't understand why this has happened to them.

Again, this is just a random choice, I see at least one of these apps per day. I don't have the answers, but trucking or not, its gonna be tough to find a company who will hire someone with a work history like this. And the companies that WILL hire someone with an app like this... they probably aren't going to be great or treat their drivers very well. Like I said - vicious cycle.

I have no way to verify this, but my guess is that these are the drivers who post the angry rants online about being mistreated by "X Trucking Company".

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

May I please have some advice?

G-Town giving me mixed messages! lol

We never recommend starting with a company with the intent of moving on after only 3-6 months. It's highly recommended to commit to your first company for at least one year.

But then:

Get 6 months of OTR experience then look at tanker.

Just teasing, you did follow up with

If you choose a company like Prime or Schneider, you may have the option of moving into a tanker job once you have some experience.

so its only SORT of confusing! :)

Just wanted to give you a hard time, you do great work around here - keep it up!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Work history

Somebody will definitely hire you. The biggest thing is they want to see you were doing something productive whether it be work or school. However, some companies may pass due of limited work history, but more so your age. Yes you may be legally allowed to drive interstate but many companies require 23 for insurance purposes. When the time comes if you go the private school route be sure to get plenty of prehires.

My company has a "23 is technically OK, but we prefer 25 or older" stand on age. But, we also require 18-24 months of Tractor-Trailer experience with Sleeper Cab (so, OTR, basically), so 9/10 times is a moot point. 23 yr olds don't usually have 2 years experience of sleeper cab work.

On last thing: Just know that if you're DONE with school, your real resume starts NOW. If you take a dishwasher job and quit after a month, then a pizza delivery job and quit after 3 months, and then a telemarketing job for a few weeks, etc... (I just made things up, please don't feel like I'm judging you, I just remember what it was like being that age) that will be the only job performance any company willing to give you a shot can base your work ethic off of. So find something you can live with until that driving opportunity comes up.

Friendly advice from a Recruiting Director.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Stevens Transport Drug Test Question

In my experience, both younger days and current position as an employer... 2nd hand "smoke" failures on a urine test are, at best, an urban legend.

That is typically the phrased used by someone who is worried about failing because of a small moment of weakness, or the reason given after failing a drug screen.

I am sure there are people who swear it happened to a "friend" or a "Friend of a Friend" but its anecdotal at best, and about 100% impossible to prove.

On the flip side, there are millions(billions?) of passed drug tests from folks who were exposed to second hand Reefer. I'm not telling people its 100% safe to be around it, and obviously, you should avoid it, but dig down deep inside and ask yourself what you know to be true. If you got a buzz, you might be in trouble.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

A different view point of governed trucks

I've heard more than one tale of a driver making it through their first winter, only to get in a serious accident in their second winter season ; All due to over confidence. I'll admit, I've had to reel myself in more than once because I could feel myself getting almost ****y. Not a good attitude to have out here.

It's 'cause his stupid "starter company" made the ice less slippery the first year so he wouldn't be prepared when he finally left them for a GOOD company!

I read it on the internet, it must be true!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Status Change. 😀

CONGRATS! 1 year is a major milestone! (But I'm sure you already knew that from being here!)

There is still a lot to learn, but the basics should start becoming second nature. Never let up, keep pushing to be the best driver you can be, and I wish you continued success! Remember this feeling of contentment about your company next time you are having a bad day.

Drive Safe!

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Guaranteed pay...Best thing since canned beer or demotivator? 😜

We have one dedicated route that a few drivers are on here. It just runs from Omaha to NYC/NJ or Boston, every week. The pay is $1500 or .55 CPM, whichever pays more. Most of the time, they make more than $1500 each week. However - there is very little room for error.

It's a great run for a hard worker who isn't afraid of the Northeast, but those loads are very important. If there are problems, late deliveries, or you get off of schedule, the gravy train can stop.

I think routes like that are what's best for guaranteed minimum.

On that note, I think ALL Regional/OTR drivers should be salaried, based on their last 6 months. Makes it far easier to budget with a steady income. For an experienced driver: First 6 months is mileage pay. The second 6 months are the average of the prior 6 months. The next 6 months are the avg of the prior again, and so on.

The Top performer's pay will keep going up, and the lower performers will find themselves blaming others somehow, as is the norm anyways. You still need to work with your dispatcher, do favors, take loads no one else wants to land the gravy loads, but you don't have to worry about having a bad check in the middle, followed by a great check. You still get paid for all of your miles, its just balanced out to avoid the peaks and valleys. (Or you could do it quarterly, yearly, monthly, etc...)

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Three deferred sentences: one in one state (speeding 11-14 over in 2014), two in another state (following too closely 2015, speeding 1-10 over 2017)

The "Following Too Closely" is the killer of the bunch. 2 speeding tickets 3-4 years apart aren't the worst thing the folks processing apps have seen... but following too closely, especially with an accident (even a minor little tap) is going to get your rejected from most trucking insurance carriers for 36 months.

When that drops off, I bet you'll find the doors swing open a bit wider.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

How to hook up gaming consoles (like Xbox One S) inside truck

I'm "TheJrodTest" if you're interested in adding me!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Werner hit with 90 million dollar lawsuit

The facts as reported make me sick. By the logic in this case if the pickup hit a bridge with the same results, would the bridge be at fault?

This. Seriously, I don't have a ton of love for our cross town "rivals" here in Omaha, but that lawsuit is just... awful. And it could set a precedent that could just cripple our industry.

I just don't understand how this even got this far... there has to be another angle to this story that is not being published or spoken about.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Looking for CDL Training Companies, No Work History a Problem?

I applied. Sorry if I came off as negative. I'm even ready to work at SWIFT or England CR just so I can pay my dues. I've read through most of the CDL manual already. I've been taking online practice tests and doing alright.

I just find this as needless red tape. My work history has nothing to do with how safely I can drive a truck.

Red Tape is the "go-to" brand of adhesive in the trucking industry - get ready for that!

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Looking for CDL Training Companies, No Work History a Problem?

I'm mostly frustrated that a company would overlook an applicant that has zero DUI's, safe driving record, no felonies, just because he has zero work history that was due to not being in the country.

Well, to be fair, most people (Over the age of 20, of course) who haven't been working as a CDL driver will have a great MVR... No DUI's, no accidents, no trucking violations, overweight tickets, etc... . That's sort of the base line. Once you get a CDL - the expectations become much, much higher.