Profile For Jrod

Jrod's Info

Omaha, NE

Jrod On The Web

4 years, 8 months ago

Jrod's Bio

I am the Director of Recruiting & Retention at Greater Omaha Express. I also handle all of our marketing and social media pages (Including our YouTube Channel!). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD4BessWEbj-c_yRXLNsx-LydErQ4orXu

We are a company that does require 2 years of recent OTR experience, so I'm just here to help new drivers make the best decisions for their career down the road. My best advice? Your first company is likely just as good as 99% of the other companies out there. If you hated trucking your first year, and you still hated it your second year... It's probably not the company. Not everyone is cut out for trucking, but those who are will be valued by any company they choose to drive for.

I can answer almost any questions about the application process, backgrounds, reports, work history issues, MVR, PSP, DAC, etc... Don't hestiate to ask me anything you think I can help you with. I'm here for the love of the game. This website is an INCREDIBLE resource for drivers at any stage of their career, and I always try to steer truckers to come check it out.

- Jerrod

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

This a Marc"The 100k miles Champ" Lee Fan Club By Cornelius. A

I like this thread.

That is all!

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

What does a quarantine due to coronavirus mean for truckers?

A bigger thing I think about are Zombies.

lol, Me too. I was thinking - "thank goodness the Zombie Apocalypse is fiction, because I think the zombies would definitely win. Half of us would be running around claiming its not so bad and the other half run around screaming and dying of anxiety"

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Do trucks have wifi?

Hello

I want to get cdl and get into trucking. in the OTR routes - do the trucks have wifi, so I can be with my computer when i am not driving?

I'm sure some do, but I have not heard of that being standard equipment for fleet trucks yet. Many companies and truck stops offer WiFi, but - 3rd party WiFi is always hit or miss.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

New Article By Kearsey - Do Driver Retention And Turnover Rates Matter?

I came here, popcorn in hand, to hear the job hoppers sing their songs of woe.

Ugh. Way to keep it classy guys. smile.gifsmile.gif Guess I'll head back to work.

We have a limit of 8 jobs in 5 years, and I get multiple earfuls, everyday, about how unfair that it.

Our starting pay chart rates are also based on the number of jobs in the last 5 years.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Which companies have driver facing cameras?

The idea that inward or outward facing cameras can make any driver safer is, at the very least, laughable. They serve only one purpose and that is to deal with liability and lawsuits. A way for insurance companies to push liability off to somewhere else.

Inward - I pretty much agree. Outward? You're crazy. I have seen it save multiple drivers just here in our little 80 truck company! Lots of bad drivers and scam artists and insurance fraud schemers out there. The trucker is going to be assumed to be at fault unless you can prove otherwise. Get involved in accident with injuries without a camera, and see how your job prospects go from there.

Dash cams save jobs, save careers, but since they are typically used after the fact, I won't say, save lives.

Posted:  1 month ago

Many Red Light Cameras in IL Down or Coming Down!

Why would fewer red-light cameras lead to fewer accidents?

It's pretty simple, really. I've actually seen it play out in the real world. Vehicle #1 goes through a stale yellow. Vehicle #2 stops abruptly to avoid running the red light. Vehicle #3 slams into vehicle #2 because #3 thought #2 was going through the intersection.

FYI... I have been on both ends of the rear-ender situation having been held liable for rear-ending someone who came to a dead stop in the middle of a highway in rush-period traffic AND being ticketed for an uninsured motorist rear-ending me because "I didn't leave him enough room".

Also... if you don't know... when they took the guardrails down from the Pacific Coast Highway fatal accidents went down.

shocked.png

IDK about the red lights, but with the guard rails and other safety features, the studies are clear. From Football gear to other safety measure, people always have an "acceptable" amount of risk they are willing to take. Its almost subconscious.

The easiest way to explain is think of risk as a scale of 1-10.

1 is being covered in Bubble tape and Hand Sanitizer and locking yourself in a concrete bunker. 10 is jumping out of a plane without a parachute.

Most people have an "acceptable risk allowance" of 3-4.

When safety gear is added or subtracted, people adjust accordingly to fall back into their level.

When they add more pads and protective gear to football players, it lowers the safety rating back down to a "2", so they start playing more aggressively to get back into their 3-4 range.

When the guard rails are up on cliff side roads, that makes people feel they can go a little faster. When they are down, people go a little slower.

It's all about maintaining your brain's personal level of 'risk'.

Obviously, much smarter folks have explained this in far more (and larger) words, but that was my basic take-away. Same things goes with those experiments where towns remove all road signs and traffic lights, accidents go down because people have to drive more carefully.

Its really an interesting dive into the human psychology.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Big Friday Announcements - New Article from Kearsey, Old School is honored by his company, and 3 new moderators!

Awesome! Love the fresh blood and CONGRATS to Old School! Now I have to go read Kersey's new article and see if I can use that to share with the drivers we have to deny, but I can't help but try to help! (I always tell them to come here, but most are too stubborn to take advice - which is usually the biggest source of their problems...)

Posted:  2 months ago

Why does everyone want over the road experience?

Just a Random question, why does everybody want over the road experience. When driving locally and backing up 10/15 times a day seems to me to be more important and has a higher skill rate than being in the truck going 3000 miles One Direction. Thanks

Your question is easy to answer with several questions for you. How many miles can you drive in a day? Remember a day is 24 hours. ? How many fuel stops will you need to complete the trip? When and Where? Where will you take your 10 hour break? What is the best time to go thru L A Dallas New York City Chicago? This is just the tip of the iceberg. Does that answer your question?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

I miss the Blog Posts!

Dave - You're doing a great job with your updates, so please don't take this a slight against you at all!

I just miss the blog posts from Rainy, Old School and the like. I always found those very interesting.

Just my 2 cents - Drive Safe Everyone!

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

A Truckers Thoughts on the New Coercion Rules

I think it is really simple - make all FMCSA/HOS violations go 100% on the companies. Increase the fines.

You want companies to comply? Hit them in the wallet. They will police their drivers just fine if they are threatened with a hefty fine.

The drawback? More micromanagement for the truckers from their DMs.

If the company wants to take a risk and ask/force a driver to go past the legal limits? The driver now has two options:

1. If you have the energy, Just Do it, and get it in writing - Qualcomm, Text, Email. You get the miles, get the money, and keep your DM/boss happy. All while knowing that if you get caught, your company is on the hook, not you. Everyone knows the deal. And you get to feel like a BAMF Outlaw Trucker from before all the "computers ruined everything!"

2. Tell your boss you are out of hours and can't legally or safely make the trip. If they still tell you to go, Call DOT and report it. They love collecting fines. Or just roll up to the next weigh station and let them know you are driving past what your hours allow. All fines and Points go on the company and not the driver under the new rules of "the Company is always at fault for HOS violations".

I bet you HOS violations would drop dramatically in just a few weeks. Some drivers and companies will have "wink wink, nudge nudge" agreements, sure. But they would only be with the drivers they know can handle it. (its that grey area everyone loves to play in, but with the catch that the BIG wallet has to take the hit if they get caught, not the current policy of "make the driver the Fall Guy") Fatigued Driving accidents would drop. Trucker Fatalities would drop. Groups like "Soccer Moms Against Truckers" would be happier and quit writing to congress so often.

Now Sure, some drivers would think to use it to "get back" at their company if they feel like they were wronged about something, but those drivers are going to struggle to find employment with a legitimate company after their Employment Verification/DAC report says something like "HOS Blackmail" which would be the new equivalent of "Abandoned Load".

Again - companies, even small ones, are capable and willing to enforce the rules if it is going to help/hurt their bottom line.

The ones that don't? They will go the way of Celadon, GDS Express, HVH, Rich Logistics, LME, NEMF, etc...(just to tie this together with the sad year of 2019...)

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Minor accident

P.S. be careful how you explain the actions of the other driver, kind of sounds like you are blaming him for you hitting his truck.

Exactly - I have heard the excuse a million times "Well, another driver/lumper/shipper was guiding me back in and I hit something, but all I was doing was listening to what they were telling me"

Don't go there - even though it is true, and sorta messed up. The fact is you are 100% responsible for that truck and trailer and anything it touches. Minus a gun to your head, everything that happens with your truck is your responsibility.

Or - to put it another way people might enjoy - You can't blame the GPS for driving into a lake.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

2 incidents with 1 company and another with first company

As the Director of Recruiting, I look at employment verifications all day. They will list those things. They will also list times where you got stuck and needed a tow, cracked a curb, smooshed some landscaping...

But that being said... with minor stuff, I don't have a problem adding it to the application if it shows up on a Verification. What gets applications booted to the "NOPE" pile are when they try to hide bigger accidents, like sideswipes, Following Too Closely, injury accidents, roll-overs, roll-aways, etc...

There is no way anyone with half a brain will think those aren't important or 'forgot about them'. So either the applicant is purposefully lying, or is working with less than half a brain and that's usually not a great person to put in a big rig.

You should disclose everything by default, but most places (and we are picky) aren't going to trash your app for forgetting to put something minor on there. But backing accidents and overhead objects (Bridges, Trees) should be on your app.

Posted:  3 months, 4 weeks ago

Death in the family

Also, related side note, pet peeve I see online far too often:

Don't be this driver:

"Heartless Company X put me down as Quit W/O notice/Abandoning truck/load/job/etc because I had to go home for my mom's funeral."

No - what happened was you mom sadly passed away. I am sorry for your loss. Your company was understanding, and released you to go home, maybe even helped you get there. Without notice, no problem, tragedies are unpredictable. They probably recovered the truck and found someone to finish that load for you. No problem at all. After the funeral and arrangements, and once you're ready to drive again, they will be there for you. Most companies will eat that loss for one of their drivers.

But...in the case where you read the quote up there... after the funeral, that driver choose to not go back to that company. So now they have quit without notice, abandoned a truck, and it has nothing to do with them needing to be there for a funeral and the company being heartless.

I have seen that story 1000x in almost every company review, and its ridiculous. Don't be that driver.

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Acceptable MVR?

This is a good, general guideline:

0001021001573302985.jpg

Posted:  5 months ago

Possibly fired for not reporting accident. Will I be able to get another job?

We couldn't at my company, but there are 100,000 companies out there and someone probably will still hire you. But just know that those accidents probably cost you a lot of earning potential because the types of places that might hire you after that probably aren't paying the most.

Good Luck - Find your Focus.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Are trucker strikes a thing of the past?

Okay let's say by an act of God we could rally public support for a trucker strike. It will be short-lived. Once produce and other items people use in their day to day lives begin to disappear from the shelves, public support will evaporate in the blink of an eye. When riots, looting and price gauging result because of supplies shortages, truck drivers will become public enemy #1

That's an excellent point. Even if the public took the trucker's side and felt we deserved more, their support would fade once their lives were significantly impacted. They'd like to see us rally to make our lives better, but not at their expense.

Not only that, but they would realize that the more we make the higher the cost of goods will be. They'd like to see us make more, but not if it comes out of their pockets.

The public would be a tough sell.

That's what I've always said. It's going to be the 2-3 Million truckers vs 350 Million Americans who don't want to see the cost of their good go up just so truck drivers can make more money.

The powers that be know this, so they keep our focus on those things, when really, we could ban together as a country and start combating ridiculous CEO level wealth vs the common people. A Rising Tide raises all ships.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Two 15+ speeding tickets 2 years ago, No jobs will hire me because I'm fresh out of CDL School. Any suggestions???!?!!?

the attachment might help, sorry!

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

I went to school & received my CDL earlier this summer (2019) and I've been applying for company after company with no luck. I just left this orientation on the 3rd day after hearing that the company won't be hiring me (Landair) :/ I had a 15+ speeder August 2017 and another one November 2017. Its been 2 years since and I'm just wondering if there's any company out there that might even consider me. I'm 24 years old & some companies say I have to wait until May 2020 when I turn 25. Please help! confused.gif

Again - here is the typical, baseline standards most Insurance Companies give to carriers.

As you can see - speeding tickets of 15+ are viewed the same as DUI & Hit 'n' Run convictions. They are no joke.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Prior Carrier Reporting An Accident

I’ll just add this. Companies report things to DAC that may or may not be your fault. I had a truck clip my front left hub and damage the lug nuts on 95 ( I didn’t get a truck name or number) Roehl didn’t fuss about it...but they did list it as an incident in my DAC. ....I hasn’t cost me any opportunities since. In fact, Roehl hired me back once and I now run for Ruan Transportation...both high in safety.

So I guess it would be good to challenge it, But I would’nt lose a lot of sleep over it.

Good luck

All accidents you are involved in are listed on DAC and employment verifications. That is where the whole "Preventable vs Non-Preventable" comes into play.

Non-Preventable accidents are no big deal to future employers.