Profile For Jrod

Jrod's Info

Omaha, NE

Jrod On The Web

4 years, 3 months ago

Jrod's Bio

I am the Director of Recruiting & Retention at Greater Omaha Express. I also handle all of our marketing and social media pages (Including our YouTube Channel!). https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD4BessWEbj-c_yRXLNsx-LydErQ4orXu

We are a company that does require 2 years of recent OTR experience, so I'm just here to help new drivers make the best decisions for their career down the road. My best advice? Your first company is likely just as good as 99% of the other companies out there. If you hated trucking your first year, and you still hated it your second year... It's probably not the company. Not everyone is cut out for trucking, but those who are will be valued by any company they choose to drive for.

I can answer almost any questions about the application process, backgrounds, reports, work history issues, MVR, PSP, DAC, etc... Don't hestiate to ask me anything you think I can help you with. I'm here for the love of the game. This website is an INCREDIBLE resource for drivers at any stage of their career, and I always try to steer truckers to come check it out.

- Jerrod

Posted:  4 days, 8 hours ago

Acceptable MVR?

This is a good, general guideline:

0001021001573302985.jpg

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Possibly fired for not reporting accident. Will I be able to get another job?

We couldn't at my company, but there are 100,000 companies out there and someone probably will still hire you. But just know that those accidents probably cost you a lot of earning potential because the types of places that might hire you after that probably aren't paying the most.

Good Luck - Find your Focus.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Are trucker strikes a thing of the past?

Okay let's say by an act of God we could rally public support for a trucker strike. It will be short-lived. Once produce and other items people use in their day to day lives begin to disappear from the shelves, public support will evaporate in the blink of an eye. When riots, looting and price gauging result because of supplies shortages, truck drivers will become public enemy #1

That's an excellent point. Even if the public took the trucker's side and felt we deserved more, their support would fade once their lives were significantly impacted. They'd like to see us rally to make our lives better, but not at their expense.

Not only that, but they would realize that the more we make the higher the cost of goods will be. They'd like to see us make more, but not if it comes out of their pockets.

The public would be a tough sell.

That's what I've always said. It's going to be the 2-3 Million truckers vs 350 Million Americans who don't want to see the cost of their good go up just so truck drivers can make more money.

The powers that be know this, so they keep our focus on those things, when really, we could ban together as a country and start combating ridiculous CEO level wealth vs the common people. A Rising Tide raises all ships.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Two 15+ speeding tickets 2 years ago, No jobs will hire me because I'm fresh out of CDL School. Any suggestions???!?!!?

I went to school & received my CDL earlier this summer (2019) and I've been applying for company after company with no luck. I just left this orientation on the 3rd day after hearing that the company won't be hiring me (Landair) :/ I had a 15+ speeder August 2017 and another one November 2017. Its been 2 years since and I'm just wondering if there's any company out there that might even consider me. I'm 24 years old & some companies say I have to wait until May 2020 when I turn 25. Please help! confused.gif

Again - here is the typical, baseline standards most Insurance Companies give to carriers.

As you can see - speeding tickets of 15+ are viewed the same as DUI & Hit 'n' Run convictions. They are no joke.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Prior Carrier Reporting An Accident

I’ll just add this. Companies report things to DAC that may or may not be your fault. I had a truck clip my front left hub and damage the lug nuts on 95 ( I didn’t get a truck name or number) Roehl didn’t fuss about it...but they did list it as an incident in my DAC. ....I hasn’t cost me any opportunities since. In fact, Roehl hired me back once and I now run for Ruan Transportation...both high in safety.

So I guess it would be good to challenge it, But I would’nt lose a lot of sleep over it.

Good luck

All accidents you are involved in are listed on DAC and employment verifications. That is where the whole "Preventable vs Non-Preventable" comes into play.

Non-Preventable accidents are no big deal to future employers.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Trapped in California

As a person with a smaller/medium sized company I would say this is still crazy. Typically, if a truck is going to be down for more then 48 hours, we will fly/rent a car to get a driver into another truck. Its only happened 3 times in the 5 years (I know since I also somehow became the travel agent for my company), but the only thing worse than a sitting truck is a sitting driver. Worst case scenario - we can rent a truck.

What you're going through sounds like a mix of inexperience and a very poorly run trucking company.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Failed my backing...is this the end?

Correction : CRST sued (and won) swift for 15 million for "poaching" drivers

And JB Hunt before that.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Failed my backing...is this the end?

The best thing you can hope for is to wait 30 days, and call back the place you applied to. (that's that last line at the bottom of the "CRST letter" that mentions '49 CFT' - they have to respond to Employment verification requests, but they are gonna wait the full 30 days that the rule allows them to wait.)

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Failed my backing...is this the end?

Correction : CRST sued (and won) swift for 15 million for "poaching" drivers

He's not wrong. When you apply to other places, those places get this letter:

0690709001571418060.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

Question of which job I should take!?

To piggyback on the replies (and the update from yesterday)... Go with a larger company to start (over).

Now I work for a "Tweener" type company. We're not a Mega, but we're not exactly small, either. We have 89 trucks (80 sleeper cabs + 9 day cabs for local work). We have full benefits, the company pays for the driver's health insurance, life insurance, rider & pet coverage for free as well. 401(k), dental, vision, supplemental insurance (AFLAC), and other benefits. We have new trucks and trailers and our own shop. We use Qualcomm/Omitracks, the Transflow app, and the trucks are well equip'd with APUs, inverters, fridges, etc... We like to say we are a smaller company with Big company perks.

But as the only recruiter here for the last 5 years, I could tell you all the stories about the applications I see each day. You know what recruiters and hiring managers like? Short applications with only a small handful of companies in the last 10 years to verify. Larger companies take about 5-10 minutes to verify. Smaller companies take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to sometimes weeks to verify. (technically, every former employer HAS to respond, but they have 30 days to do so - guess which places wait the full 30 days?) And that's if they even are open, or have the same name, or same phone number... So I can process and approve a driver like Old School's application in less than an hour, but with someone else who has worked for mostly small companies, 1099 companies, small AG companies, small Oil field companies - they are going to take a lot of time and a ton of work. They have to be complete rockstars to even make it worth my time or my companies time to take the labor hours of tracking down these companies. Plus, the safety department hates verifications from smaller companies too because if they don't have a specific Safety Department that actually tracks everything they are supposed to, the verifications are usually very incomplete. If I had a dollar for every DOT report-able accident (preventable or non-preventable) that I have seen on an application or MVR/PSP report that WASN'T on the required form from one of these small places, I'd have hundreds of dollars. When that happens, I have to bother that company again and have them fill out the paperwork AGAIN, and guess what? They aren't motivated to do more free paperwork for some driver that quit on them (or was fired). And my safety department scrutinizes those applications 10x harder because they are ASSUMING at this point that something is missing. So that more of their time as well. Those applications linger in my "To-Do" box for days or weeks while other drivers get approved, hired and invited to orientation. (And we use TenStreet/DriverPulse/Intelliapp - so the processing has been streamlined about as much as possible!)

Usually, when that happens and I FINALLY get everything processed and approved, I call to give the driver the good news. And... I am told they decided to take a job with "Chuck's E-Z Trucking IV" because they hired them on the same day they applied. Sure it's 1099, but they have to get back to work 5 minutes ago... ugh. Which is fine and good, I can't win them all, but I know (and the driver should know) they didn't process your application properly, they didn't follow DOT regulations, and now we're left guessing what other corners the fine folks at Chuck's E-Z Trucking IV are cutting as well...

Plus, and I can only speak for myself, it doesn't really encourage me to give drivers with that sort of work history my limited time per day.

TL;DR - Think of it this way - for hiring managers, verifying employment with Mega carriers is like a driver doing all drop'n'hooks with mint condition, pre-loaded trailers. Verifying employment with small companies is usually like dealing with understaffed Cold-Storage locations that just waste your entire clock while you wait for them.

Big picture stuff - but to ignore it would be to ignore reality.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Realistic beginner driver pay for regional drivers

Quoted for Truth - we could probably link a dozen or so posts from this site alone about that.

Does the non-driving job you are contemplating offer an upside of 50% second and third year.

I’ve seen people do the exact same thing you are doing, only to kick themselves a year later for prolonging their agony and limiting earning potential.

Trucking year 1 - $40,000

Trucking year 2 - $50,000

Trucking year 3 - $60,000

VS.

Non-driving job year 1 - $40,000

Non-driving job year 2 - $42,000

Non-driving job year 3 - $45,000

After 3 years trucking? $150k

After 3 years of boring office work or manual labor? $127k

(And I know its one of those 2 because you wouldn't be contemplating trucking if your non-driving, $40k job was fun and awesome)

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Trip planning

Dang! I was hoping it was in here. I was trying to tell one of my drivers how having Google Earth makes trip planning so much better because it helps you figure out where you need to turn to get to the docks (things that aren't always obvious at ground level).

There was a post in here where the driver was going somehwere really tight, and he planned all of his turns, backing, and backing turns to get in abd out of there. He had the lines all drawn out... I know it was on here, I just can't find it. It might have been a East Coast or Chicago customer perhaps?

That was about the best example I have seen on how trip planning everything, down to the last turn to get out of there, is the best way to get things done!

Posted:  3 months ago

1 preventable in 3 months

Not all "Preventables" are the same. Very minor rear-end accidents, trailer roll-a-way, forgetting to set brakes, and others are automatic "no hire" accidents for many places. Especially when you don't have any experience to back it up. Be patient and keep applying.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

SOO Fed UP!!!!!

Quoted for Truth

Age discrimination doesn't exist in trucking.

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Friday Short Haul - CRST wins lawsuit, OOIDA opposes insurance hike, UPSNav

I love sharing this letter - every recruiter has gotten it many, many times. But if you are under contract with CRST, until you finish it or until you pay them back, every place you apply gets this letter:

0563849001564762398.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Pine Bluff Truck Driving School

This place is a JOKE! Yeah you may get your CDL in 3 weeks but all you're going to know how to do is pass the test. In the process, you're going to be cussed at, yelled at, and treated like you're stupid. Instructors sleep while students are driving. They talk about students behind their backs negatively in front of other students, one instructor even stated that one student annoyed her so she wasn't going to help him. The lodging quarters are DISGUSTING! The backing pad is such a muddy, potholes mess that the truck kept getting stuck. Seven people were sharing one backing pad truck. And speaking of trucks....they are horrible! I doubt even the road trucks would pass DOT inspection. I breezed through the written test and pretrip inspection but was having trouble with backing so I asked for an additional day of practice before testing, which I was denied. I feel that I should have been allowed an additional day since it's not required by DOT to test on a certain day. I was allowed some practice time before the test but all that got me was more yelling and more being talked down to by 3 different instructors who happened to be out there. After nearly a week of being treated subhumanly, I could not continue. I packed my bag and left. When I emailed the office about my experience, I got nothing other than "your CDL packet has been mailed". So I'd say they have to desire to change the way they do things or care that I was treated so badly that I quit after 3 weeks. I would not recommend this place to anyone!

Zombie Thread - but here is just ANOTHER reason (out of the hundreds) that you should really use Company Sponsored Driver Training. Private Schools are a gamble - and I like a nice wager as much as the next guy, but I rarely start by throwing down $2000-$10,000 right away.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Marten @ .62 per mile

^^^^^ * LIKE X 10 *

0939113001564422248.jpg0862901001564422268.jpg0063790001564422300.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Marten @ .62 per mile

I keep getting these ads on my internet screen that advertise Marten paying drivers 62 CPM. Is that even realistic for seasoned drivers? What's their gimmick?

It was saying including detention time and bonuses and all the extra perks.

We really need companies/DOT/Trucking Industry to come up with a hard definition as to what "CPM" actually means. It's the most abused & manipulated term in our industry and we all know this.

So why do we continue to compare companies by their CPM rates when we know its apples to oranges?

With or without bonus? Empty Miles? Routed one way, paid another? City Center to City Center or Zip Code to Zip Code Routing? Does that number include benefits? Does that number include other pay that has nothing to do with mileage? (Stop, Detention, Layover, etc)

I have taken so many calls this year from drivers who say they need to make more money, they didn't even break $50,000 last year. So we go through the process, I make them an offer, and the immediate response is: I'm making .60 cpm (approx) and I can't afford to take a nickle or a dime pay cut..."

"But you aren't even making $50,000 per year, so... it's definitely not a pay cut."

"I can't take a step backwards though"

"Buddy, you aren't really making what you think you're making, do the math."

****************

I mean today, I had a guy claiming to make .74 CPM and if I couldn't match it, I worked for a garbage company like the one he works for.

Its getting hard to take anyone's ads, or even any truckers claims, on what they are paying seriously.

WE NEED A STANDARD DEFINITION ON "CPM".

0051941001564421387.jpg0671650001564421468.jpg0214886001564421537.jpg