Comments By Jrod

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0700339001575391693-41391.jpg avatar
  • Jrod
  • Comments:

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Two 15+ speeding tickets 2 years ago, No jobs will hire me because I'm fresh out of CDL School. Any suggestions???!?!!?

the attachment might help, sorry!

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

I went to school & received my CDL earlier this summer (2019) and I've been applying for company after company with no luck. I just left this orientation on the 3rd day after hearing that the company won't be hiring me (Landair) :/ I had a 15+ speeder August 2017 and another one November 2017. Its been 2 years since and I'm just wondering if there's any company out there that might even consider me. I'm 24 years old & some companies say I have to wait until May 2020 when I turn 25. Please help! confused.gif

Again - here is the typical, baseline standards most Insurance Companies give to carriers.

As you can see - speeding tickets of 15+ are viewed the same as DUI & Hit 'n' Run convictions. They are no joke.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Prior Carrier Reporting An Accident

I’ll just add this. Companies report things to DAC that may or may not be your fault. I had a truck clip my front left hub and damage the lug nuts on 95 ( I didn’t get a truck name or number) Roehl didn’t fuss about it...but they did list it as an incident in my DAC. ....I hasn’t cost me any opportunities since. In fact, Roehl hired me back once and I now run for Ruan Transportation...both high in safety.

So I guess it would be good to challenge it, But I would’nt lose a lot of sleep over it.

Good luck

All accidents you are involved in are listed on DAC and employment verifications. That is where the whole "Preventable vs Non-Preventable" comes into play.

Non-Preventable accidents are no big deal to future employers.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Trapped in California

As a person with a smaller/medium sized company I would say this is still crazy. Typically, if a truck is going to be down for more then 48 hours, we will fly/rent a car to get a driver into another truck. Its only happened 3 times in the 5 years (I know since I also somehow became the travel agent for my company), but the only thing worse than a sitting truck is a sitting driver. Worst case scenario - we can rent a truck.

What you're going through sounds like a mix of inexperience and a very poorly run trucking company.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Failed my backing...is this the end?

Correction : CRST sued (and won) swift for 15 million for "poaching" drivers

And JB Hunt before that.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Failed my backing...is this the end?

The best thing you can hope for is to wait 30 days, and call back the place you applied to. (that's that last line at the bottom of the "CRST letter" that mentions '49 CFT' - they have to respond to Employment verification requests, but they are gonna wait the full 30 days that the rule allows them to wait.)

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Failed my backing...is this the end?

Correction : CRST sued (and won) swift for 15 million for "poaching" drivers

He's not wrong. When you apply to other places, those places get this letter:

0690709001571418060.jpg

Posted:  6 months ago

Question of which job I should take!?

To piggyback on the replies (and the update from yesterday)... Go with a larger company to start (over).

Now I work for a "Tweener" type company. We're not a Mega, but we're not exactly small, either. We have 89 trucks (80 sleeper cabs + 9 day cabs for local work). We have full benefits, the company pays for the driver's health insurance, life insurance, rider & pet coverage for free as well. 401(k), dental, vision, supplemental insurance (AFLAC), and other benefits. We have new trucks and trailers and our own shop. We use Qualcomm/Omitracks, the Transflow app, and the trucks are well equip'd with APUs, inverters, fridges, etc... We like to say we are a smaller company with Big company perks.

But as the only recruiter here for the last 5 years, I could tell you all the stories about the applications I see each day. You know what recruiters and hiring managers like? Short applications with only a small handful of companies in the last 10 years to verify. Larger companies take about 5-10 minutes to verify. Smaller companies take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to sometimes weeks to verify. (technically, every former employer HAS to respond, but they have 30 days to do so - guess which places wait the full 30 days?) And that's if they even are open, or have the same name, or same phone number... So I can process and approve a driver like Old School's application in less than an hour, but with someone else who has worked for mostly small companies, 1099 companies, small AG companies, small Oil field companies - they are going to take a lot of time and a ton of work. They have to be complete rockstars to even make it worth my time or my companies time to take the labor hours of tracking down these companies. Plus, the safety department hates verifications from smaller companies too because if they don't have a specific Safety Department that actually tracks everything they are supposed to, the verifications are usually very incomplete. If I had a dollar for every DOT report-able accident (preventable or non-preventable) that I have seen on an application or MVR/PSP report that WASN'T on the required form from one of these small places, I'd have hundreds of dollars. When that happens, I have to bother that company again and have them fill out the paperwork AGAIN, and guess what? They aren't motivated to do more free paperwork for some driver that quit on them (or was fired). And my safety department scrutinizes those applications 10x harder because they are ASSUMING at this point that something is missing. So that more of their time as well. Those applications linger in my "To-Do" box for days or weeks while other drivers get approved, hired and invited to orientation. (And we use TenStreet/DriverPulse/Intelliapp - so the processing has been streamlined about as much as possible!)

Usually, when that happens and I FINALLY get everything processed and approved, I call to give the driver the good news. And... I am told they decided to take a job with "Chuck's E-Z Trucking IV" because they hired them on the same day they applied. Sure it's 1099, but they have to get back to work 5 minutes ago... ugh. Which is fine and good, I can't win them all, but I know (and the driver should know) they didn't process your application properly, they didn't follow DOT regulations, and now we're left guessing what other corners the fine folks at Chuck's E-Z Trucking IV are cutting as well...

Plus, and I can only speak for myself, it doesn't really encourage me to give drivers with that sort of work history my limited time per day.

TL;DR - Think of it this way - for hiring managers, verifying employment with Mega carriers is like a driver doing all drop'n'hooks with mint condition, pre-loaded trailers. Verifying employment with small companies is usually like dealing with understaffed Cold-Storage locations that just waste your entire clock while you wait for them.

Big picture stuff - but to ignore it would be to ignore reality.

Posted:  7 months ago

Realistic beginner driver pay for regional drivers

Quoted for Truth - we could probably link a dozen or so posts from this site alone about that.

Does the non-driving job you are contemplating offer an upside of 50% second and third year.

I’ve seen people do the exact same thing you are doing, only to kick themselves a year later for prolonging their agony and limiting earning potential.

Trucking year 1 - $40,000

Trucking year 2 - $50,000

Trucking year 3 - $60,000

VS.

Non-driving job year 1 - $40,000

Non-driving job year 2 - $42,000

Non-driving job year 3 - $45,000

After 3 years trucking? $150k

After 3 years of boring office work or manual labor? $127k

(And I know its one of those 2 because you wouldn't be contemplating trucking if your non-driving, $40k job was fun and awesome)

Posted:  7 months, 3 weeks ago

Trip planning

Dang! I was hoping it was in here. I was trying to tell one of my drivers how having Google Earth makes trip planning so much better because it helps you figure out where you need to turn to get to the docks (things that aren't always obvious at ground level).

There was a post in here where the driver was going somehwere really tight, and he planned all of his turns, backing, and backing turns to get in abd out of there. He had the lines all drawn out... I know it was on here, I just can't find it. It might have been a East Coast or Chicago customer perhaps?

That was about the best example I have seen on how trip planning everything, down to the last turn to get out of there, is the best way to get things done!

Posted:  8 months ago

1 preventable in 3 months

Not all "Preventables" are the same. Very minor rear-end accidents, trailer roll-a-way, forgetting to set brakes, and others are automatic "no hire" accidents for many places. Especially when you don't have any experience to back it up. Be patient and keep applying.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

SOO Fed UP!!!!!

Quoted for Truth

Age discrimination doesn't exist in trucking.

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Friday Short Haul - CRST wins lawsuit, OOIDA opposes insurance hike, UPSNav

I love sharing this letter - every recruiter has gotten it many, many times. But if you are under contract with CRST, until you finish it or until you pay them back, every place you apply gets this letter:

0563849001564762398.jpg

Posted:  8 months, 1 week ago

Pine Bluff Truck Driving School

This place is a JOKE! Yeah you may get your CDL in 3 weeks but all you're going to know how to do is pass the test. In the process, you're going to be cussed at, yelled at, and treated like you're stupid. Instructors sleep while students are driving. They talk about students behind their backs negatively in front of other students, one instructor even stated that one student annoyed her so she wasn't going to help him. The lodging quarters are DISGUSTING! The backing pad is such a muddy, potholes mess that the truck kept getting stuck. Seven people were sharing one backing pad truck. And speaking of trucks....they are horrible! I doubt even the road trucks would pass DOT inspection. I breezed through the written test and pretrip inspection but was having trouble with backing so I asked for an additional day of practice before testing, which I was denied. I feel that I should have been allowed an additional day since it's not required by DOT to test on a certain day. I was allowed some practice time before the test but all that got me was more yelling and more being talked down to by 3 different instructors who happened to be out there. After nearly a week of being treated subhumanly, I could not continue. I packed my bag and left. When I emailed the office about my experience, I got nothing other than "your CDL packet has been mailed". So I'd say they have to desire to change the way they do things or care that I was treated so badly that I quit after 3 weeks. I would not recommend this place to anyone!

Zombie Thread - but here is just ANOTHER reason (out of the hundreds) that you should really use Company Sponsored Driver Training. Private Schools are a gamble - and I like a nice wager as much as the next guy, but I rarely start by throwing down $2000-$10,000 right away.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Marten @ .62 per mile

^^^^^ * LIKE X 10 *

0939113001564422248.jpg0862901001564422268.jpg0063790001564422300.jpg

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Marten @ .62 per mile

I keep getting these ads on my internet screen that advertise Marten paying drivers 62 CPM. Is that even realistic for seasoned drivers? What's their gimmick?

It was saying including detention time and bonuses and all the extra perks.

We really need companies/DOT/Trucking Industry to come up with a hard definition as to what "CPM" actually means. It's the most abused & manipulated term in our industry and we all know this.

So why do we continue to compare companies by their CPM rates when we know its apples to oranges?

With or without bonus? Empty Miles? Routed one way, paid another? City Center to City Center or Zip Code to Zip Code Routing? Does that number include benefits? Does that number include other pay that has nothing to do with mileage? (Stop, Detention, Layover, etc)

I have taken so many calls this year from drivers who say they need to make more money, they didn't even break $50,000 last year. So we go through the process, I make them an offer, and the immediate response is: I'm making .60 cpm (approx) and I can't afford to take a nickle or a dime pay cut..."

"But you aren't even making $50,000 per year, so... it's definitely not a pay cut."

"I can't take a step backwards though"

"Buddy, you aren't really making what you think you're making, do the math."

****************

I mean today, I had a guy claiming to make .74 CPM and if I couldn't match it, I worked for a garbage company like the one he works for.

Its getting hard to take anyone's ads, or even any truckers claims, on what they are paying seriously.

WE NEED A STANDARD DEFINITION ON "CPM".

0051941001564421387.jpg0671650001564421468.jpg0214886001564421537.jpg

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Truckers wife /passenger

So I will be riding along with my husband, I was just wondering what would be the best way to help him while I'm on the road with him I don't want to feel like I can't help with anything...

If you could become the master navigator, that would be great. Complete with the ability to use and understand Google Earth/Google Maps. Be the "Office Manager", handle the paperwork, etc.

If you are truly a team, you can truly help your "team" become the most efficient and productive truck in the fleet. Having an assistant is always amazing, and having one that you love and trust has to be even better. Have him show you the correct way to trip plan until you are confident to do it on your own. The amount of time saved and REST gained will be invaluable.

And conversation - keep your driver alert and focused.

3 of our top 4 drivers have their spouse ride with them full time. I don't think its a coincidence. And to our credit, we treat them like they are part of the team as well... because they really are.

Posted:  9 months ago

CDL DISQUALIFICATION

Here is the standard, boilerplate guidelines that most companies use by default.

Some are stricter, some are a little looser, but most companies you would want to work for have these standards in place.

Rick hit it on the nose - 3 yr minimum wait from conviction date.

0944693001562869759.jpg

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

Might have prevented a minor accident

Not sure how far he was from hitting the car behind him but he had to have rolled back about 30 feet.

Remeber even when traffic is stopped to pay attention to your surroundings

I did that at in my regular car in a left turn lane waiting to get on to US-75 North in Bellevue, NE. Except I rolled FORWARD!

Was driving into the sun which was a perfect angle so that my sun visor couldn't block it effectively. So I'm just sitting there, messing with my visor when suddenly "TAP-CRUNCH!"

I rearended a cop on his way to work. A COP. In a bright yellow Toyata FJ. The look on my face when he gets out of his car and he's in full uniform...probably priceless. "Morning Officer - lovely commute we're having today, eh? Just figured I'd roll into you and see how you were doing."

On my way to work...

Even if a safe situation - if you lose focus for a minute, bad things can happen.

But seriously... a cop?

And of course he didn't let it go. And he had to call ANOTHER cop to make the OFFICIAL report. Good times!

Posted:  9 months, 2 weeks ago

What really irritates you?

Packrat said: "Truth be told, I don’t do that all the time, but I do try to pull up as far as possible if I notice a Prime flatbed driver eyeing the empty spot beside me."

So, Packrat's dark side is revealed! Lol.

" When a guy is too embarrassed to use the urinal so they pee in the toilet stall, too lazy to even use their foot to lift the seat they pee all over it and the floor then walk away without even using their foot to flush. We all have to use them so at least lift the seat."

geez, guys. I never use public toilets. Gross. I don't care where they are. There are more sanitary options. But if you HAVE to use one, don't sit on the seat. Hover.

Eh - I can't stand Outhouses/Latrines, but thats more of a phobia thing. But modern Public toilets are just what they are. The door handle to enter the truck stop is grosser than most toilet seats. Bring a travel size Lysol and "ABRACADABRA" the toilet seat is now cleaner than your steering wheel!

In fact, and I know this is weird, but I tell myself "not only am I doing this for me, I am leaving the bathroom better than when I found it." So really, I'm doing it for all of you too! lol