Comments By Susan D.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0881477001514936631-42223.jpg avatar
  • Susan D.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Low underpasses

Definitely a tell tale sign is scrapes and gouges on the overpass and skidmarks on the pavement.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Drug test release on application

Your answer was to CALL THEM AND ASk THEM. Then we recommended you just consent... unless you don't want that new job.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

New Swift Driver Wanting to Switch

Ray, it DOES indeed get easier as you learn the job over the next year. When I first went solo, I'd be so exhausted at the end of every shift.. too tired to eat, too tired to shower.. I'd just go to bed, then wake up and take care of personal needs then do it again.

Your time management will get better too. One day you'll realize that it isn't nearly as tough anymore and you have more time on your breaks to take care of yourself. I used that 3 hour cushion on my HOS to "hide" my rookie inefficiency till I got better at managing everything .

Hang in there! You can do this.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Drug test release on application

I agree with Turtle. Not giving permission throws up all kinds of red flags, especially when that employer has been your ONLY driving job (guessing here). By law, they have to contact every employer you've had for the previous 10 years. It's 3 years for a brand new cdl holder although some companies go back 10 years on every driver, whether brand new or experienced.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Handicap truck parking spaces???

Last winter I accidentally parked in a handicap spot in a rest area. There was snow and ice all over the ground. The heat from my engine thawed it and when I was going inside to use the facilities the next morning, I noticed the hc logo in blue underneath the front of my truck. I felt really bad about it, but it wasn't visible when I pulled in and I had to get off the road as it was getting too slick and my hours were dwindling.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Free food at terminal

One time I had to clean out a trailer someone had dropped at our forklift customer. Was probably 20 5lb bags of grits, 3 cases of the tall canisters of oatmeal , and several cases of Gatorade singles. I put it all in my truck, and when I got home, donated it to a food bank. They were very grateful. I got a receipt for the donation in my company's name and gave it to them.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

2019 DOT Blitz

I'll be headed to south Carolina, which doesn't use prepass. I might actually get inspected this year.. it would be a first during any blitz.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Low underpasses

If they're too low they will. But a 13'6" underpass will top out the rear of your trailer if it's a sharp incline coming out. If you're loaded, your trailer is "squatting " slightly. You just go slow and don't let the trailer bounce if you're empty.

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Low underpasses

13'7" and 13'8" are not low overpasses. Anything under 13'6" is low. Where you have to really watch the 13'6" overpasses is if the street has a dip at the overpass and it inclines sharply. If not careful, you could top out your trailer coming out from under it.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Solo rookie as of today

Congratulations! Awesome stuff.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Help in trucking.

The company I drive for (west side transport) has a terminal (sort of lol.. more like a fenced gravel lot) in Indy and I'm sure could use a good driver. You could have a variety of options like flex which is home every weekend and a couple nights a week, home daily, regional home weekly, or OTR which is home every other weekend.

Almost every LTL known to man has a terminal in indy too. So many options for Indy. I go through there often, but this week I get to play in Chicago traffic every day it seems.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Leasing!

Lol it wasn't a tanker, it was a short grain wagon/hopper. I looked like a complete fool trying to back it into a spot here at the Pilot across from the Iowa 80 at Walcott just now. Not only is it shorter, it's much narrower than my truck. It responds much much faster. This would certainly take a time or 3 to get accustomed to. The really fun part was leaving our terminal with it. Been lots of rain so the tarp was full of water.. turned the corner, making a left and the water sloshed off barely missing a car with an open sunroof. I think I might have gotten them slightly wet. :-/

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Seeking Advice For Military Veterans

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Seeking Advice For Military Veterans

Welcome Cece and thank you for your service.

There are company sponsored schools that give special perks and benefits to veterans. I don't know the details but I know we have various veterans/drivers on this forum who took advantage of those special offerings. Hoping one of them will see this and respond.

Posted:  2 weeks, 5 days ago

Leasing!

I'd make a crappy boss. I'll pass on leasing or O/O lol. On the fun side though, I heard I'm going to get to pull a tanker :-D. Empty, of course but I do have the endorsement. It's for West Side Salvage and I get to return it to Iowa from our south Chicago terminal.

Posted:  2 weeks, 6 days ago

Getting Hire With Preventable Accidents

Big Al, I see you're from Kentucky. I know my company has hired rookie drivers from other companies that had a preventable or 3. They take it on a case by case basis. How much driving experience do you have, and how many driving jobs have you had?

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Fuel gauge or mileage?

I had nothing but trouble with the -20 rated blue stuff at 14F and under in my 2016 cascadia.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Help! I need help choosing a good CDL paid training school.

Apply to all the company sponsored schools first, then compare offers to find a deal you can work with financially. We highly recommend company sponsored schools, but if there's a good private school near your home, you can check with your local unemployment office about getting WIOWA federal funding to pay for cdl school.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Fuel gauge or mileage?

It is a huge safety issue and yes, year before last I had to shut down because I was too far from a shop to pull my tractor in to thaw them and the road spray was making a mess and my washer lines were frozen. If I can't see, I'm NOT driving. I do keep that bucket and squeegee handy and yes, I've pulled onto a shoulder to wash my windshield because I couldn't see and was close enough to get to a rest area to shut down until after daylight and the temperature rose, then got to a TA shop to get them thawed. I learned my lesson and only use the purple power in winter and I've never had it freeze even in -25F weather with a windchill of -50 F. I buy it and turn in the receipt and my company reimburses me. It runs just under $5/gallon and worth every penny. I haven't tried this, but a friend suggested if you get froze up, wrap some of those hand warmers around the frozen lines to help thaw them but our shop warned me you can actually catch the lines on fire from heating them directly.

Posted:  3 weeks ago

Tandems Won't Slide

I agree with Chris, you can chock the wheels or if there's a curb handy that you can push the tandems up against to hold then in place. Obviously your brakes aren't holding but if you have automatic slack adjusters you can try bleeding down your brakes (doing a brake test) to adjust them to where they'll hold.