Comments By Susan D.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0881477001514936631-42223.jpg avatar
  • Susan D.
  • Comments:

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Scenario for new drivers

I've encountered a similar scenario before. I got out and looked a gazillion times to make sure the 5th wheel was lined up with the kingpin and that i wasn't going to pick up the trailer, had the height closely matched. but yes I hooked it from the side and pulled the nose of the trailer out enough to properly rebook it.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

20 plus years removed from trucking

They're all good companies to drive for. There are plenty of posts on these companies that you can pull up by using the search bar at the top of the page.

Welcome to Trucking Truth. Oh and you can apply for jobs right on this site and I believe there's a recruiter on here also. Lots of people will chime in I'm sure.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

I've Been Sick This Week

Glad you're feeling better. It's strongly suspected that I had it in mid-February. I was home for 16 days. Although I felt better, I got tired quite easily for a little over a month after my return and took slightly longer breaks (12's instead of 10s especially with forklift loads) until I finally got my strength back up.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Can't sleep while truck is moving

Yes its unrealistic to expect your trainer to pull over so you can sleep. However as some have said, some companies expect the trainee to do the majority of the driving then the trainer drives a short time if needed to make an appointment time. Some companies full on team from the get go.

I personally sleep like a baby when the truck is moving, provided it's not a trainee doing the driving lol. An experienced driver that has a million or so under their belt.. I'm out like a light. And trust me, when you get tired enough, you'll sleep while it's moving.

Ask your training coordinator or recruiter about their policy and if it's not what you want to hear, sick it up. It's only temporary.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Darknes, Then Light!!

Pop up cosmetology? Wouldn't you have to have a business license for every location you "pop up"? Sounds like a real headache to me and personally, I'd never consider getting my hair done at such a business. But you never know.. stranger things have worked, but why add all that hassle along with operating authority, extremely high insurance premiums and taxes to the business of running a salon.

I wish you luck with that.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Game: Craziest thing you have seen on the road

At the Love's in Richmond Indiana off I-70, I once saw a truck parked for a 10 hour break and he had taxidermied deer heads.. one looked like it was driving, one in the passenger seat and one poking it's head out of the sleeper. He parked about the same time I did and I went inside to get a shower.. came back out and he had his "crew" set up in the cab.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Sitting Pain

Oooo I bought one of those purple cushions and absolutely hated it. I was going to throw it in the trash and my other half said.. "don't do that, I'll take it!"

My trainee at the time and I just giggled to ourselves (she had tried it too) and as soon as he was out of hearing distance, we made a bet on how long he would use it. I generously bet 2 hours. I called him a few hours later and asked him how he liked it. He said his Atlas was riding comfy.. he barely made it an hour.

I'm glad you like it. Everyone I know personally that's tried one, felt like I did. It's great if you aren't moving and the truck is sitting still. Otherwise we all ended up with what we called "waffle butt". The channels in that cushion shift and flex and literally rubbed our butts raw.

When I was brand new, a regular bed pillow worked wonders until I was able to figure out how to get my seat properly adjusted in my first truck.

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

And just like that, two job offers

DOT physicals can be obtained at many walk-in in clinics. For example, I get mine done at concentra in Indianapolis as a walk-in. My company usually does everyone's (all otr drivers) in cedar Rapids, IA but the place they use requires an appointment and I'm rarely up there for any extended time.. just easier to get mine done where our home daily indy drivers get theirs.

As far as the written tests to get your permit, I'm thinking Ohio's BMV they call it? is open for business so just call them and ask if you need an appointment. This stuff could literally be taken care of tomorrow if you're in reasonably decent health.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Darknes, Then Light!!

I've been reading this post and all the comments. Any trucking company who trains new drivers knows that new drivers who have a spouse or significant other that's not completely supportive of driving, is pretty much a waste of their time and money. That's why Titan sent you home.

As a trainer, I absolutely cringe when I'm saddled (and yes, I mean SADDLED) with a trainee who has a possessive controlling significant other. There's always drama.. phone calls with yelling and crying, and that driver doesn't have the focus on driving that they must have to succeed and become a safe professional driver.

One of 2 things always happens. The driver either gets sent home or they ditch the significant other and follow their dream. It's extremely rare for these drivers to be successful without extreme challenges.

I cannot even fathom taking someone who has no plan or desire to be a truck driver to a company orientation. Seriously, didn't he have to work? At my company, anyone having an unauthorized person in a motel room on the company's dime would be immediately terminated... same for an unauthorized passenger in a commercial vehicle.

As most here know, my other half was my company trainer. To be honest, we did not begin dating until after I'd finished training and gone solo.. in fact, we argued so much during training, he actually was ready to kick me off his truck... especially after I set the brakes, said more than a few choice words, stormed off and didn't return back to the truck for several hours. He did then and still does infuriate me at times, but for way different reasons lol.

I'm going to tell you exactly what I told a trainee one time. She had an obviously abusing controlling boyfriend. My first clue was the screaming and cursing match via cell phone in less than 30 minutes after she had gotten on my truck. On speaker phone no less!!!

They weren't married yet. He drove a truck and was home daily in Chicago whereas she being very new/inexperienced, needed to be OTR for a minimum of 6 months before she could get the chance to be home daily. They did NOT live together nor did he assist her financially in any way and as an experienced LTL driver, he probably could have helped a little. He wanted her to do anything but drive a truck. Problem is, Chicago is an expensive place to live and she didn't have the education or skills to get a high paying job and struggled financially. I mean really struggled.. like at risk for being evicted and having her car repossessed.

I told her that (I'm way too blunt sometimes) that she didn't deserve to be talked to and treated the way he treated her and unless he was going to put a ring on it and help her financially, then he had no right to say what kind of job she could have. I told her she needed to make up her mind and decide if she really wanted to be a driver or not. She needed to decide if she was going to continue to struggle and let a man who wasn't committed, dictate how she lived her life. I also told her that if she chose a path that he didn't like, that they'd probably be finished. It's a heavy situation for sure. I told her to go home for a day or so and think about it and she did.

I was stunned, but the gal came back, said I was right and she ditched that guy, completed her training, drove regional home weekly and 8 months later was a Chicago local home daily driver.

I also had a trainee who was so insanely jealous and needed to know exactly where her flatbed driver fiance was at all times. She liked speakerphone too. Within a week I asked them to place her with another trainer. I cannot deal with these screaming women on speakerphone in my truck. The day before she tested out to go solo, her so-called fiance GOT MARRIED to someone else. I honestly don't blame the guy because she was really something else. She didn't last long at west side.

Trucking is more than a job. It's a whole different lifestyle. Since your dad and all of his family were drivers, you probably do have a clue of what this path entails. Is your husband really familiar with what this job actually entails? It's not just driving. If he's not 100% supportive of this, if you make it successfully, it will come at a very high price. Just make sure you're willing to pay that price one way or the other, whether it's giving up your dream or giving up someone you obviously love. There is no "halfway in/out" in trucking. It requires a complete commitment to make it through that very challenging and critical first year.

I absolutely wish you the best.

Posted:  5 months, 4 weeks ago

Reefer Companies that Fuel at PIlot/Flying J

My company uses whoever gives us the best discount wherever it is our computer system thinks you'll need fuel lol.. could be a Pilot/Flying J, a Love's, a TA/Petro, a Kwik Star, a Casey's, or literally anything. One time I was sent to another trucking company to use their pumps with my com data card.. that was in Maine. Mostly we use Pilot and Love's.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Keep water on your truck.

11 hours?? Ick! Yes, everyone should always keep water in their truck. I have some in the fridge, and in a cabinet and keep another case in the sidebox.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Be careful at the truck stops

That TA is a den of swift trucks.. also late at night, that back row can get crazy. That said, while I can appreciate some drivers readiness to help spot people.. what gets me is when they're stupid enough to get behind the truck they're spotting. I prefer to goal myself because at the end of the day, spotter or not, the driver is responsible for any accidents. The mayhem can be entertaining to watch. I learned so much as a new driver by parking early and watching that madness.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Well it was fun while it lasted.

Could you drive intrastate possibly? Glad to hear your feeling better though.

Posted:  7 months ago

Am I tripping?

I don't believe all states have the requirement to have a regular operator's license for a year. I'm not sure but I don't think Texas has that requirement. Most states do, but I know at least a couple don't.

I'd recommend sticking with a company for a full year, then taking a leave of absence for the couple months you want to travel. Of course you'd have to reapply after your leave time.

Posted:  7 months ago

Training what’s the hardest part?

When you have the rare trainee who really wants to learn it's wonderful. When you have someone who "knows it all", doesn't want to listen, or gets easily offended, it's a nightmare.

I expect them to act like an adult, which is sometimes asking too much. It's been a while since I've bothered and honestly I've enjoyed having space to myself for a change. The majority of those I've trained (that made it through training without quitting) are still with the company, so I guess that's a good thing. I'm too blunt for some.

Posted:  7 months ago

Getting a job after Dollar General..

Oh we believe how things can change in a minute in those dollar store parking lots. The money just isn't worth it. They often push these accounts on new drivers because even experienced drivers don't want the aggravation.. I know I sure wouldn't. I wouldn't even do one in a day cab.

Someone will give you a chance so don't give up. What part of the country do you live in?

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Dealing with protests

I would absolutely go to CHAZ. I have a couple close friends there and the media is lying about the events, even using fake photos.

What's really happening is peaceful protesters are hanging out in a park, potlucking, sharing ideas and discussing solutions.

I refuse to go to Minneapolis and did so Tuesday before last, refusing a load there. There were no repercussions for me. I've made it explicitly clear that I will refuse to go to any area with active rioting and my company understands this. It might screw up my miles and has, but I do not care. The kind of freight we haul is not worth risking unsafe areas and can easily be rescheduled. As far as food loads we do haul (dry van) they can live without gatorade, pancake mix, cereal and oatmeal etc. for a short time.

My company has also informed us that before we go through an area with recent active rioting, we are to park, and call operations on the latest events and whether to proceed or not and what route changes to make.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

ISO Info on driving a reefer for Dollar General

The DCs won't be a problem but Omgosh the backing at most of the stores would be a career killer unless you're very very good at backing into tight busy lots.

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

First call from safety department

Lol my safety director is on my fb friends list. I've never been called about a hard break, not that I've never had any. I was trained by a company "rebel" and if I'm having a little trouble with weight and not hauling breakable stuff, I'll either go forwards or backwards and slam on my brakes to shift my load whichever way needed lol.. especially with those scap paper bales. I find I can shift a couple hundred pounds fairly easily if the loader didn't balance the bales well. Then I've had the couple of times in heavy traffic where a 4 wheeler cut me off too close, but that's been extremely rare. If they see I'm scaling a load more than a couple times and from one hole to the next, just can not get it right, they definitely know what I'm up to. It's gotten better since international paper (the mills) require a particular "safe load" configuration.

smile.gif

Posted:  7 months, 2 weeks ago

Congsingnee refusing nonfood pallets what to do?

Yep, you had to leave and your company's os&d person will let you know what to do with it. When I've had similar partial load rejections, either I was told to dispose of it in a dumpster or give it away.. once was a bunch of gatorade I donated to a food bank, or take it to a terminal where they'll deal with disposition of the product. BTW when you signed those Bill's accepting the load, you signed it as a representative of your company.. while in transit, your company actually owns the freight your hauling. Lots of newer drivers dont realize that.