Comments By Susan D.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0881477001514936631-42223.jpg avatar
  • Susan D.
  • 4 years, 1 month ago
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 month ago

No more new grads...

This morning I was told that my company will no longer be accepting cdl holders fresh out of school. I was told that by the gentleman who oversees equipment assignments, not our safety/training department. Apparently they will accept drivers with at least 3 months experience and require them to go out 2 weeks with a trainer. As has been customary, any driver with 6 months or greater won't go through training and just attends orientation.

Posted:  1 month ago

How many week I should give to my company

Honestly, if you are leaving a job, why would you expect that the company has to get you home? I know mine would get me home, if needed, but the expense would naturally come out of my last check, as it should. Your new company would generally foot the bill to get you from where you turned in your truck to your new job if you were smart enough to have a position before you give notice.

Posted:  1 month ago

Metal rolls in dry van

I don't have a clue what kind of nails they use but at Toyota industrial equipment, they use a nail gun that shoots these nails through the bracing and THROUGH the floor.. as in when the bracing is removed and nails pulled, you can see daylight through the trailer floor. It's weird but in a short time, the holes in the wood floors just disappear. I guess the wood swells slightly from humidity to conceal them lol. Forklifts and the glass racks are also positioned down the center of the trailer in our case too.

I admit the loads look crazy in the box, but are pretty darn stable. Glad you made it safe and sound. Next time you won't be so shocked at how they "secure " crazy stuff in dry vans.. definitely the stuff of flatbedder nightmares.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Crap Companies

Last week I was at our terminal in. Cedar Rapids getting a routine service on my truck. I was there 2-3 hours napping in the drivers lounge . There was another driver in there but we didn't really speak. One of the guys came in to tell me my truck was ready. I told him thank you so much for them getting to me so fast. The other guy jumped up and said "What?? I've been waiting here all day and I don't even think they've started on mine!" and proceeded to yell at the mechanic. We slipped through an office and into a side door to get away from him and back into the shop where my truck was waiting for me. I said something to the effect about some drivers not being grateful . Several mechanics busted out laughing and said if they had their way, he'd still be waiting next week.

So I'm guessing the whiner would say our company is a crap company lol. All I know its we're on the bottom of the totem pole as drivers and if you don't develop strong positive relationships with the people who can make you or break you, any company could be a crap company.

Just saying...

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Expired License

You are correct.. not every state requires you to have a regular drivers license for at least a year before getting your cdl permit. I don't think Texas requires that either but I'm not certain. I'd be looking at companies with schools in those states first.. it's worth a shot anyway. Prime and associated companies would be a no go I imagine, but crst is based in iowa. Of course they only do teams too. I'd be calling various states dmv offices and asking what they require to test for your permit to get a better list of states requirements.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Metal rolls in dry van

Those look like some handy dandy wood cradles nailed into the floor. If that bracing is nailed through the floor like they do with our forklifts, I'd haul it, but I'd drive it like I do tall paper rolls or forklifts (like a smooth bore liquid tank).

I've also hauled the big a frame plate glass racks before.. they were braced by wood which was nailed through the floor also.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Susan D. :

I just saw this. My trainee and I were at our new lot south of town so she could get some backing practice then later were at the terminal in town for the night. Our load wasn't ready til after 1400 Sunday, so we were there quite a while before we headed back to Chicago. We are going to have to swap contact info so we can meet up one of these days.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

SOO Fed UP!!!!!

Yes, but she also mentioned Roehl and OTR so her post was a little confusing and vague.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

SOO Fed UP!!!!!

Age discrimination doesn't exist in trucking. So you have a class A? When was the last time you have driven? What cdl school did you attend? Do you have a 160 hour certificate of training? If you have all those things.. what's in your background? Do you have a clean MVR and hows your employment history? Anything that would cause companies to not give you a chance like failed drug screens, DUI's, etc?

We need more information to be able to help you.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Can I be held personally liable?

I'd be really grumpy if I had to move that many times in a week. I'm grumpy if I have to move once lol. It's about a 6-8 hour ordeal for me.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

"Refresher" course / "buying seat time" - good idea or silly?

Forgive me. Not fully awake yet. Just call some schools and ask about refresher training.. I'd certainly think Schneider will put you through a refresher though.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

"Refresher" course / "buying seat time" - good idea or silly?

I wouldn't. So you are essentially asking other companies to give you seat time to prepare with a job for Schneider? Or did I completely misunderstand?

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Starting with Celadon- any experiences?

A friend of mine worked there and was recently let go because they lost the contract she was dedicated on. They did offer her OTR but she declined as she needs to be home weekends and a night or 2 during the week.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Eagle Rider for Motorcycle Rentals

That's awesome that you and the Mrs. Turtle got to enjoy riding in beautiful scenery. It really made me smile seeing your pictures.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

New here (trying to decide if a career to trucker is for me)

Robin,

Sorry it took so long to reply as I literally just saw this. I'm also scratching my head about the reply. I've never felt like the fact I'm a woman ever hindered me in any way. For pros and cons... only you can answer that for yourself. Pros and cons are different for different people. For some, periods of time away from home are a con. To me that's a huge plus. I also never considered being afraid to "drive something that big" so even that thought is foreign to me.

What I can tell you is this. I started out in my early 50's. I love the adventure, the variety of places I go and enjoy the challenge of a particularly tight dock. Do I sometimes make a fool of myself? Absolutely! We all have our off days even as experienced drivers and when you're new, everything seems much more difficult than it actually is, until you've developed your skills as a driver.

I work every bit of 70 hours a week. I currently have 42 minutes left on my 70 hour clock. I left home last Wednesday morning and this is Wednesday afternoon 1 week later.

The simple fact is that anyone can learn to drive a truck with enough practice. The question is, is your heart really into this or are you only considering it because of difficulty securing a higher paying job? What motivates you? Did you know that only about 5-10% of brand new drivers are still doing this job 1 year later? It's not about the skills, but more about the committment. Some see it as giving up all sorts of things that are important to them. I tend to look at it as all the new experiences I've gained. Yes some days are incredibly hard, but I love this job and wouldn't trade it for anything.

If anything, I feel being a woman out here has been more of an advantage.

So how well does the friend who thinks youd like driving really KNOW you? Have you ever ridden in a truck for a day? A week? A month? Would it be possible for you to ride along with her for a couple weeks?... before you get a permit because often companies dont want cdl permit holders or cdl holders as passengers because the risk of a non employee operating the vehicle is too high. In other words, do you really know what you're getting into? If not, read Brett's book. If you feel like it might be a fit for you, we're here to answer any questions and help you navigate the process.

Becoming A Truck Driver: The Raw Truth About Truck Driving

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

I'd second Old School's suggestion to start with Western Express. My fiance who also trains for the same company I do, had a trainee. The guy was doing very well but apparently had a recent felony that was revealed after he was on a training truck. Our company sent him home, but my other half made sure he had a job offer at Western Express and a ride to Nashville to get to his orientation. The guy is still there almost a year later and loves it. Says they treat him very well. My fiance has run into him more than a few times out on the road. The motel they use isn't the Taj Mahal for sure and because they do give chances to people other companies wouldn't give the time of day to, life around that motel can get "dramatic " from what I've been told lol. You just go, and do your best while staying away from the drama. Keep a positive can do attitude and you'll do well, and, when you do, they'll treat you very very well. It really is a great company to start with.

Please let us know how you're doing because it will absolutely help others who might find themselves in your situation.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Don't Watch Stuff On Your Phone While Driving

I'll tell you funny story.. told to me by a longtime employee (not a driver) long before I ever came to west side, the company decided to try using driver facing cameras in their trucks. They tried them on a very limited basis and those drivers VOLUNTEERED to try them. Ultimately they decided not to use them as they felt the monitoring costs were too high for the small benefit and too many drivers felt it's an invasion of privacy.

Anywho, a driver volunteered, has the camera installed. They ended up firing this driver for "pleasuring " himself while driving. So yeah. It happens. You'll see all kinds of crazy out here on the road.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Getting started in trucking with felonies

If you don't meet their hiring standards, they wouldn't have asked you (invited you to the party) to orientation. You mentioned Nashville.. it wouldn't happen to be Western Express would it? They do hire felons and are known as a second chance company. They're probably well versed in the requirements for an OTR driver on parole.

I'm hoping Old School will drop in here as he got his start with Western Express.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Don't Watch Stuff On Your Phone While Driving

Yeah we just had a driver who was ticketed for watching the news on their phone while driving. Yes, they were also fired. They were caught by the "trooper in a truck" thing going on. Also had 3 fired this month for having their phone IN THEIR HAND of all things.. just ridiculous and completely unacceptable. Our trucks are equipped with bluetooth and controls on the steering wheel for phone use not to mention the fact that headsets aren't hard to come by.

I've threatened to throw more than one trainees phone out the window. Yeah, I'm mean like that if they even begin to reach for it. I've not tossed one out the window yet but I did grab one and toss it in the sleeper.

Posted:  2 months ago

Nicest driver lounge at customer you've seen

The HyVee DCs I've delivered to have TV, tables/chairs, occasional chairs, showers, wifi, free coffee, tea, hot chocolate, vending, microwaves, free showers etc. The sad part is if you aren't a HyVee driver, you'll probably need all that because you'll be there a while.