Comments By G-Town

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/misc-images/gtown.jpg avatar
  • G-Town
  • Comments:

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Just got fired not even 3 months in

We may get have been Trolled here…

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Just got fired not even 3 months in

How is what I’m saying not true? The truck doesn’t go from 45 to 89 without you knowing it.

What did you learn?

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

New Job Offer, Need Recommendations

How will you reconcile your pay? Unless you are privy to customer invoices how will you know what was charged?

I’d run from this… but that’s me.

Posted:  3 weeks, 1 day ago

Just got fired not even 3 months in

89 for just a second? It only takes a split-second to end a life at that speed…

This would also indicate you were in the high 70’s, low to mid 80’s far longer. What MPH does your employer consider an over-speed event?

There are no points awarded for what you consider an honest mistake. I guarantee all of the experienced drivers have never gone that fast descending any mountain pass, let alone a flat stretch of road.

If I’m a hiring manager, what are you going to say to when I ask you;

“How did this happen?”

Posted:  3 weeks, 3 days ago

Electric trucking companies hiring?

rofl-1.gif

I’m pretty sure my truck is electric. It has batteries.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Chicken load and trailer wash out.

I like the one on the right with the sexy suntan!!

Arghhhh why am I failing at attaching a pic. This was a drop and hook, so the trailer was sealed before I got it, and the loaders put one pallet on the left, empty right. Then one pallet on the right, empty left, then two together all the way back, with one puny load lock at the back.

This was a load shift from a super hard braking. Each of those combos weighs about 2k lbs, and the trailer bled all over the place!

Hay girl;

When you click 'photo' ... and upload one, make sure you 'name' it....then click 'go.' It will say 'sending' for a bit, depending on your connection. When it says 'success,' you will see the thumbnail (actually you'll see it 1st.) WATCH for it to say 'success,' this is paramount. Sometimes it's stuck on 'sending' for awhile, depending on your WiFi.

Then, in your 'post' you are adding the photo to, hit 'preview' before submit, and you'll see it, inclusive.

I used this, for an example, and for humor. Try!

~ Anne ~

0952400001654287520.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

NH won’t even let me test for my permit?!?!

You said you fixed the problem by insuring your vehicle. What else did you do? Is there a process in NH for reinstating a suspended license?

Only guessing, it might still be suspended awaiting completion of some other process. I suggest calling NH DOT for further clarification.

Good luck.

Posted:  3 weeks, 6 days ago

Please help me choose the right first employer/trainer and city

George wrote:

I do not understand why someone would honestly try to rip someones "forum name" on here. Who cares? I will hold my tongue. BK. Nope I didnt get hit by "rookie" lightning when I typed your name. Really? Hmmm. confused.gif rofl-2.gif rofl-1.gif rofl-3.gif rofl-3.gif

I hardly consider what Bruce or Anne wrote as “ripping” the OP.

My opinion of this may differ from others; the OP changed his name due to his perception that we are a “perfect forum” and he wanted to be remembered. Not sure if humor played into it… regardless I can assure you that we are not perfect and typically do not consider any questions annoying.

I remember content, not the Forum Name.

Posted:  4 weeks ago

You run out of time on 14 hr. What do you do?

As long as you do not drive, you can perform other work beyond both the daily 14 and weekly 70.

I suggest investing some time reading and studying this link:

Learn The Logbook Rules (HOS)

Posted:  4 weeks ago

You run out of time on 14 hr. What do you do?

PC home, park then log “on-duty” for 5-10 min to perform your post trip. Log-off duty once completed. You’ll get your full 34 at home.

Posted:  1 month ago

Companies to avoid?

Joel you are a misclassified W2. You’re employer by definition is shady. Pray you never get in an accident..

I don’t understand why the 1099 negativity. I’m 1099 but paid straight out of school $1500 a week salary. I drive 4 days and off Friday Thru Sunday. I have my health care, vision and dental for me my wife and kids paid for by the company 100 percent. That saved us $20,000 a year on my wife’s insurance alone. I got a $10,000 bonus which is paid out at $1000 a month for 10 months. They also pay 100 percent of my long and short term disability. 2 weeks paid vacation starting at 6 months. Plus other benefits.

I’d rather be w2 but with all that I’m ok with being 1099. I’m used to self employment anyway as I still own a construction company. 1099 means you take care of your own social security and taxes but I’ve been doing that anyway so nothing new

Posted:  1 month ago

Florida kingpin law. Need some advice how to measure

Davy here is an excellent discussion and comparison of Bridge law and King Pin Law .

Well interesting, I read up on the law, it says to the center of the rear axle but then it goes on to say "or center of the rear axle set". Maybe they were just having me be conservative with it. I'll check on the CA bridge law and see if it's the same. I'm not a big fan of having the tandems up if I can help it

Posted:  1 month ago

Florida kingpin law. Need some advice how to measure

He’s fine where it is in the pic. Less overhang to contend with. Better ride quality too.

Hi twosides,

Kingpin law just means they don't want you driving with your tandems all the way back.

You're light. Move your tandems all the way up towards the truck and you'll be fine.

Posted:  1 month ago

Florida kingpin law. Need some advice how to measure

Florida is 41’ from kingpin to either center of tandem or center of rear axle. It can be less than that (i.e. 40’), but not over 41’.

It looks fine…don’t sweat it.

Posted:  1 month ago

Dealing with stubborn tandem slides

If you have a trolley brake (Johnson Bar) use that to hold tandems. Holds far better than the spring brakes. I used Blaster (liberal amount) to free stubborn tandems. On the Walmart account it was rare that I did not adjust tandem setting.

In all the years of running that account I can only recall requesting shop help twice. When attempting to free them be a tad aggressive when rocking the truck.

Posted:  1 month ago

Hoping everyone has a safe weekend

Thanks Harvey, same to you. Just chillin’ and grilling’. Haven’t had Memorial Day off in years.

Posted:  1 month ago

Need pointers for driving dump truck

You’re welcome John. I appreciate that you have a healthy respect for the incredible forces you are managing. Many drivers never get this…the day you lose that respect is the day to quit.

Soap box preaching over…

Driving off road is very challenging. Very easy to roll off a packed dirt road. Try to read the pitch finding the happy medium. I pick my gear and leave it there, usually 4th or 5th with the differential locked (if available). When loaded and in the dirt I start in my lowest gear and once moving quickly moving through 2nd, 3rd, etc. Keep things moving…I agree with that approach.

When loaded and driving on actual paved roads, Jake stays on. Off-road it’s off…always.

Dumping… try to make sure the truck is relatively level, especially side to side. Overhead clearance is also necessary to check. Raising the body too fast on a very pitched surface can lay the truck on its side. Double check the gate is open, tarp is rolled before raising the body. Raise and like your trainer said keep an eye on the piston extensions (ram). Another reason why the load should be peaked in the center of the body and not towards one side or another.

Once it’s completely raised and contents is emptying I release the parking brake and feather service brake allowing the load to slowly push the truck forward until contents is completely emptied, clear of pile and the tail gate strikes the body which helps to empty anything compacting towards the front. Then I lower it without hammering the pistons. PTO is disengaged, gate is locked. Clean off excess material on the rear of the body and check between tires for any debris before moving.

That’s how I empty a dump truck and how I was taught 40 years ago.

Posted:  1 month ago

How screwed am I?

Best word I can think of is relax.

They won’t fire you for this, especially if you describe how you’ll prevent it from happening in the future.

Posted:  1 month ago

Chicken load and trailer wash out.

Yes even the feathers, beaks and feet, I see it go into the compost grinders every week.

I haul a lot of chicken meal from various processing facilities, mainly down south. The parts that don’t get used get boiled, dried and ground into a granule that then becomes one of the main protein bases for dog and cat food. The smell during the summer will gag a maggot and it takes a while for it to filter out of the cab. One of the amazing facts is that when it comes to chicken, nothing is wasted. Even the feathers get ground into fertilizer.

Posted:  1 month ago

Chicken load and trailer wash out.

…and of course the truck tires end up with all this gunk embedded in the treads. Mud flaps too.

“Nose Blind.” Can’t wait. 4 months in and that hasn’t happened yet.