Profile For G-Town

G-Town's Info

Lewes , DE

Experienced Driver

7 years, 2 months ago

G-Town's Bio

Retired from a 30 year career in computer technology. Finally realized that it was the journey I really enjoyed and not the destination. So in January of 2013 I fulfilled my lifelong love of trucks and driving by enrolling in Swift's Richmond Academy. Graduated, passed the CDL test, and went OTR for 240 hours with a mentor. Once that was completed, I was re-tested by Swift and offered a job. Overall a great experience. I wish I knew about this website while I was contemplating this as a career and while I was in school. Great information exchange.

Fast forward to the current, I am working for Swift as a dedicated driver assigned to the WALMART account in north central PA. Best job I ever had.

Happy to truthfully answer any questions about Swift and/or my experience in school and training.

Posted:  3 days, 1 hour ago

Downhill in snow/ice/slick roads

Bumping this. Absolutely the best answer.

Just keep an eye on the road surface. If there is snow or a wet surface descending, Jake Brake off. You may be able to set your cruise control to 5 MPH less than the speed you desire, but on Cabbage, you will need to supplement this with the brake pedal. 35 to 40 mph is as fast as you need on the 7 miles of Cabbage, with slower speeds the heavier the load. I never let the speed creep up more than 5 MPH above. When it does, gently brake (about 20 psi on your Brake Pressure Gauge) until you are 5 MPH under the speed you want. The higher the RPMs, the more effective the engine braking will be, just don't get into the over-reving zone (2000 RPMs and above). If the roads are wet or you are in snow, you will need to move slower with a lower gear selected, greater following distance, and more braking.

The biggest thought in my mind is always, "can I completely stop safely if something happens a quarter mile ahead?". If you cannot, slow down.

Posted:  3 days, 19 hours ago

Truck parking bill introduced in Senate

Introducing a bill is one thing… having it pass and signed is something entirely different.

Posted:  3 days, 19 hours ago

Big Rig Brake Checking

Okay, fair enough. Never suggested otherwise. Brett’s reply also said this:

It's impossible to tell what happened from that video.

I agree with that.

Posted:  3 days, 20 hours ago

Big Rig Brake Checking

Bumping this. Harvey, not sure if you shared this (below) with Michael, it’s far more relevant and valuable for his future safety.

It's rather uncommon to have another truck act that way. It's more common to have 4-wheelers do that kind of thing, but still pretty rare even for them.

It's impossible to tell what happened from that video. Most of the time, this happens if you hold up a faster truck or car while you're trying to make a pass. They get aggravated because they had to wait for you, and like a child, they get spiteful and want to throw a fit and lash out at you.

To all drivers out there - I can't stress this enough - when you're driving, keep your ego in check and keep your emotions out of it. Do not take things personally, do not make things personal. Do not get worked up over anything going on around you. Keep your cool and maintain control over yourself and your vehicle.

People want to get revenge as payback when they feel they've been wronged. Instead of taking pride in causing harm to someone, take pride in being the bigger man and doing no harm. Maintain your own high standards of conduct, especially when you're dealing with people of low standards.

Posted:  3 days, 20 hours ago

Holiday training at Prime

G-Town, I take “get to working” to mean getting paid. Once he passes the CDL exam to remove the semi restriction, then he can be hired and start getting paid $900/wk while available for dispatch during the TNT training phase.

Maybe. If I was certain that’s what Calvin meant, I would not have replied at all.

All things considered, I want to ensure his expectations are realistic and for anyone reading this who is new, it’s only in specific cases that training is expedited/reduced for a rookie with no relevant experience operating a class 7-8 tractor trailer.

I don’t want to assume.

Posted:  3 days, 23 hours ago

Trailer tire blow out and claim 2 months later from car

I agree. Let them deal with it. Not worth further energy.

You did what you were suppossed to do. Don’t worry about it. That’s the claims dept issue at this point.

Posted:  3 days, 23 hours ago

Holiday training at Prime

Calvin what is your expectation with this?

Based on the last sentence of the below paragraph, seems like you are expecting Prime to expedite your road training, reduce it so you are able to run solo sooner.

So my son is n Memphis and he’s 3, my recruiter said he can push it back to Jan 2. Also I have a class A license already with semi restriction. I have Air brakes already. I did hot shot which is how I ended up with the A with restrictions. I hope I can just test out in a semi and do the pre trip and get to working.

Posted:  4 days, 23 hours ago

Do you get treated with respect by the dock workers (when making or picking up a delivery)?

Nick, what screen name (profile) does your friend use on Trucking Truth? I’m monitoring for another hour, have him send us something.

Posted:  4 days, 23 hours ago

I concur with Kearsey, no way anything sits in the moderation queue for more than a few hours.

Posted:  5 days ago

100% agree with Steve on this.

When I’m delivering, they are the customer. I try to treat them as a valued contributor to my paycheck. How they choose to act is on them.

If I based my career choices on how I was gonna be treated by the other side, man I’d probably have never worked any job.

Posted:  5 days, 20 hours ago

Anne?

I reached out to Anne via email regarding her noticeable absence. In summary, her ISP sold to a different company. Apparently their service is not great which limits Anne’s ability to contribute regularly. She is looking at alternative solutions.

Posted:  6 days, 1 hour ago

I've applied to attend driver training at Swift Academy Phoenix

Congratulations Michael!

We’re here to help in a pinch… however building those relationships with your driver leader and planner is going to be a key success factor going forward.

I enjoyed my 8+ years with Swift. Wishing you the same.

Best of luck and safe travels.

Posted:  6 days, 1 hour ago

Long Covid and Trucking

Sorry to hear this Dean. Tough lesson. Hopeful for a full recovery and that you land on your feet.

Posted:  6 days, 1 hour ago

Truck stuck in Sumner Tunnel (Boston) Friday afternoon/evening

The overwhelming majority of these incidents can be prevented with adequate trip planning, common sense and reading basic signage.

We’ve seen numerous examples where failing to read and comprehend signage results in a truck wedged under an overpass.

Posted:  6 days, 1 hour ago

Crete training length before solo?

Obviously. I searched the diary section and that’s what came up. Wasn’t intended to refute your post…

Here is a Crete Training Diary from 9 years ago.

Crete Training Diary

Hopefully a current/recent Crete Driver can expand on this.

All of the jobs posted on Crete's website require 1 year of OTR experience. 9 years ago... Have we not seen hiring requirements change over a span of years?

Posted:  6 days, 11 hours ago

Long Covid and Trucking

Dean in the 1.5 years driving on the Walmart account, we’re there any other issues, events or preventables? How is your performance record; on time and no missed deliveries?

Your vehicle remained upright… we’ve all seen trucks that were in far worse condition than yours. Wheels up Is a likely result of falling asleep at the wheel.

Highly unusual and downright odd that Schneider would jettison a driver for 1 incident in 1.5 years of driving.

Posted:  6 days, 22 hours ago

Crete training length before solo?

Here is a Crete Training Diary from 9 years ago.

Crete Training Diary

Hopefully a current/recent Crete Driver can expand on this.

Posted:  6 days, 23 hours ago

And so it begins…..

I totally agree with Chief Brody on this Etch. Patience is important through-out every aspect of training and solo operation. It never ends.

A few years ago there was a good discussion on patience, thought it might help you through this and set expectations going forward.

Patience - How to Deal With It

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Urine only training

Chris this policy is subject to change without notice. As previously advised, call around.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

ClassA Newbie Curious About Tyson

Ryan wrote:

Any class A position with a private fleet (hauls its own freight) is a good situation because you have better job stability than many other companies.

Subjective. Can you please expand on this Ryan? Factually I’m not aware of one (TL and LTL) being more or less stable than the other. I’ve worked for both and did not notice anything supporting your point. Fact is most private fleets (Tyson being an exception) do not train and require experience. So for a rookie, it’s typically moot.

I’ve read this a half dozen times and at the least I’d like to see some clarification given that many of our readers know very little about this industry.