Profile For G-Town

G-Town's Info

Pottstown, PA

Experienced Driver

4 years, 10 months ago

G-Town's Bio

Retired from a 30 year career in computer technology. Finally realized that it was the journey I really enjoyed and not the destination. So in January of 2013 I fulfilled my lifelong love of trucks and driving by enrolling in Swift's Richmond Academy. Graduated, passed the CDL test, and went OTR for 240 hours with a mentor. Once that was completed, I was re-tested by Swift and offered a job. Overall a great experience. I wish I knew about this website while I was contemplating this as a career and while I was in school. Great information exchange.

Fast forward to the current, I am working for Swift as a dedicated driver assigned to the WALMART account in north central PA. Best job I ever had.

Happy to truthfully answer any questions about Swift and/or my experience in school and training.

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY TT🎊‼‼

Old School that is an awesome memory/photo!

You are blessed!

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Requesting some assistance...

Agree with Old School in that safety is a benefit for everybody, not just a monetary plus for the company.

Michael your perception of a pervasive safety culture is truly warped. We all benefit from safe operation out here...all of us do!

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Early Fireworks--Blown Steer Tire

Wow...

Glad you landed it safely.

Blessings!

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

Happy Birthday Kearsey

Happy Birthday Rainy.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Best company with CDL training to start with?

ZedLepplin24 drops some fiction in us...

You could not be any more wrong.

Please read this link:

Lytx Drive Cam

Suggestion, listen to what we are telling you. Our objective is to educate, including a “Tech Savy” person like yourself. The title of this website is all you need to understand ... “Trucking Truth“

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Best company with CDL training to start with?

Scoffing?

No sir, offering the truth. And for the record smoking a cigarette or taking a drink did not trigger the camera. An event did.

Yes it did. A pothole triggered an event and I got written up for not having both hands on the wheel. and the scoffing I was talking about is exactly the tone that came across there. We all know that the cameras are only triggered in an event. Then, when it is reviewed it is either ignored if there was no issue or sent to the company if there is. Some companies are going to be more strict than others, so their list of things to look for is going to be much higher. I personally am not willing to risk it, so i am choosing to work somewhere that there aren't any driverfacing cameras. That's a choice we all make and some people don't care and it doesn't bother them. And thats great for them, I'm not willing to risk my livelyhood on how strict a company is going to be about looking at the cameras ever again.

Anyway to stop highjacking the OP's post here, I would take another look at Prime if that's one your interested in. 50k miles sounds like a lot and looks like a huge number but its really only the tip of the iceberg. A solo driver is gonna be aiming for 120K plus miles a year and the way they do TNT with the team it is really only 2, 2 n a half months. It is a great way to conquer a ton of different situations with an experienced driver that you might not get with a shorter training period.

I offered facts to a newbie. And suggested it’s hasty to ignore a company that has this technology, especially one like Roehl.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Drivers for Paid Photoshoot

For an insurance company? The bane of a trucking companies a P&L statement.

rofl-1.gif

Count me out...

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Best company with CDL training to start with?

Yes, It's looking like Prime is checking the "most" boxes. I'm an educated man and tech savy. I look at things differently. I dont want my death caught on video and leaked for my family to see it pop up on Facebook. Cameras are easily hacked, happens all the time in homes. It's triggered during an event? I highly doubt their are sensors running to the tires from the camera and "activated". It's activated by GPS movement, which in reality that means in can be activated whenever it wants (glitch). I have no problem with FORWARD facing cameras. That makes sense for insurance purposes, etc, but driver facing? Unless the driver has a horrible driving record, I see no reason for it. I dont want hackers listening to my conversations, wathcing me pick my nose, and im sure the ladies don't want them to be caught adjusting their bra.

I had a cab facing camera for several years, nothing like you described occurred. Event driven off the truck sensors, GPS was for location only.

Besides, pull the curtain that is on a track above the windshield and the lens is covered.

But you know better than me...

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Delays In Many Varieties

Great question...I would have crept to the shoulder, it was wide enough.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

Gee Rob I can see the excitement oozing from your soul. Haha kidding I'm sure you're still adjusting to everything. Awesome it finally worked out for you guys.

Packrat made the same comment about my serious demeanor.

Is this better?

0419475001593520616.jpg

Very cool!!

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Best company with CDL training to start with?

Scoffing?

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Delays In Many Varieties

0509378001593530578.jpg

CSX level grade crossing in Newport DE. Store was a10th of a mile away. About a 40 minute delay. Took my 30 minute break while I watched a static series of rail cars.

Keep on trucking

Posted:  2 weeks ago

The TruckingTruth Meet Up Thread

Nice hat Turtle!!!

WMPF approved...

rofl-3.gif

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Bad Steer Tire

That didn’t just happen overnight.

I carefully inspect my steers several times per day. Also check the air pressure every day.

Jamie...dude, check them tires like your life depends on them. Which it does!

I’m glad this didn’t let go on you.

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Best company with CDL training to start with?

I did, but the driver facing cameras were a huge turnoff :(

Why are they a turnoff? What do you really know about them? Do you know how they work?

They are event driven; such as hard braking, swerving, lane control issues, etc. They are not capturing you as you sleep or anything remotely associated with your privacy when you are not driving.

You will be a rookie driver, making all kinds of mistakes, some potentially dangerous. The camera is a teaching tool designed to capture the bad driving behavior and correct it before it becomes a habit far tougher to break.

Furthermore, it’s a rather shallow reason for not selecting Roehl. Roehl is an excellent company. For your own sake, don’t make a hasty decision.

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

A Week in the Walmart Private Fleet

Turtle remembers...

As G-Town once said: This job is a churn. You stay moving in a constant effort to keep the goods rolling to the stores so they can keep the shelves stocked. It's a good time, and can be very rewarding.

Amen to that! I would not trade it for anything.

I’ve eclipsed the 2000 mile mark 2 consecutive, 5-day weeks. For you OTR guys, that’s nothin. For us, 2k miles in a 5-day period is significant. Really gotta hustle to make that happen and really need a cracker-jack planner who knows the territory so available clock can be maximized. Thankfully I’ve got two such working with me, in total lock-step.

By day 5 I’m exhausted, usually less than 6 hours remaining on my 70, can’t wait to get out of the truck for a couple of days. However...after one full day at home I’m chomping at the bit to “get back at it”. I can’t explain it, but I know I am doing exactly what is best suited for my personality and driving (I enjoy backing and navigating close quarters)

Gotta hand it to you Turtle, this diary is exceptional! Don’t know how you have the time and energy to turn this sort of quality out. Thank you!

Posted:  2 weeks, 3 days ago

Traning w/ Prime Inc.

Congratulations!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

CLP Testing on tomorrow

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

One of those bad backing days

Hey John...do you really want honest input?

Cause...professionalism and integrity have nothing to do with being a rookie.

Posted:  2 weeks, 4 days ago

Dedicated Trucking Jobs for New CDL Grads

Indian River Transport is a tanker company. It’s recommended a rookie get a minimum of 1 year experience before handling bulk liquid.

Swift is the Walmart Dedicated Transportation partner for the Winter Haven DC.

Please take a look at our starter links:

Good luck!