Profile For G-Town

G-Town's Info

Pottstown, PA

Experienced Driver

G-Town On The Web

2 years, 8 months ago

G-Town's Bio

Retired from a 30 year career in computer technology. Finally realized that it was the journey I really enjoyed and not the destination. So in April of 2012 I fulfilled my lifelong love of trucks and driving by enrolling in Swift's Richmond Academy. Graduated, passed the CDL test, and went OTR for 240 hours with a mentor. Once that was completed, I was re-tested by Swift and offered a job. Overall a great experience. I wish I knew about this website while I was contemplating this as a career and while I was in school. Great information exchange.

Fast forward to the current, I am working for Swift as a dedicated driver assigned to the WALMART account in north central PA. Best job I ever had.

Happy to truthfully answer any questions about Swift and/or my experience in school and training.

Posted:  23 hours, 45 minutes ago

I'm off to training

Best of luck Rob. Your persistence paid off.

Posted:  23 hours, 49 minutes ago

Today’s the day!

Congratulations! Best of luck and safe travels.

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  1 day ago

Local food service as a rookie

Rob I gotta tell yah; you are one tough Dude. My old body aches just reading your posts.

I do enjoy the stories. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

Posted:  1 day, 18 hours ago

Things you don't do at a customer:

Wow Turtle...nice job Sir.

You and Old School, becoming interchangeable with the flatbed posts.

Posted:  2 days, 1 hour ago

Whatever Happened to TractorMan?

I texted him last night to let him know the TT fan mail is piling up, Rainy misses him, and he needs to return for an encore.

He was fun to have around.

Posted:  2 days, 1 hour ago

American currently living/working in Vietnam could use some advice

Welcome to the forum Matthew.

I think Susan's advice is sound, try to get back to the US. As far as a cover letter? Most applications are electronic submission through a website. If an option to include a cover letter is available, it couldn't hurt.

WilTrans and Jim Palmer are very selective. The DUI even though it's over 10 years old, likely lowered your chances. But don't give up...many other options available to you.

Take a look here - Paid CDL Training Programs

And use this link to launch multiple applications to these companies - Apply For Paid CDL Training

Not sure if you have seen the now famous Trucking Truth starter kit. The four links will provide valuable information to build a knowledge base, help establish realistic expectations and best of all a fast track to passing the permit exams. As follows -

Enjoy your reading! Good luck, we are here to assist along the way.

Posted:  2 days, 1 hour ago

1 year OTR in the books

Great job! Congratulations!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  2 days, 10 hours ago

PAM/Driver Solutions Training

Awesome!!! Congratulations!

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

Posted:  2 days, 11 hours ago

Whatever Happened to TractorMan?

I think G-Town gave JT s a report that Tractor Man got hurt on the job and is no longer doing the Coke gig. He may be considering going back OTR. G-Town will see this and update us I'm sure.

This is true. Haven't had any communication with Tractor Man since then. Back around Easter.

Posted:  2 days, 20 hours ago

CRST - Training Adventures in Cedar Rapids

Jeremy make the best use of that time. When you are not in the truck practicing backing maneuvers, watch what others are doing. Study what is working and what isn't.

Think 1/4 circles (not hard angles) when trying to put the trailer in the home. Arc it in...

Good luck!

Posted:  2 days, 22 hours ago

Small companies..what to look for?

Something to consider; if I include performance bonus my CPM is about 56-57. I am a company driver. Considering the additional cost, reduced benefits, and increased "ag" factor; their quoted rate sucks.

Posted:  2 days, 22 hours ago

Small companies..what to look for?

It's not the worst thing.

No benefits at all. Plus you must also pay additional "self-employed" taxes.

How are they insuring you when you are on-duty?

What they are doing is illegal and they know it. You are in their truck, under their authority, moving their freight to and from their customers. Under the guise of the IRS, you are an employee and should be paid as a W2, not a 1099.

I'd run away from this. It's not above-board and likely the tip of the proverbial iceberg of unethical practices. Run...

Posted:  2 days, 23 hours ago

Company Sponsored + local/semi-local?

Welcome Jason.

In reference to Rob's reply, here is his diary:

Local Food Service as a Rookie

I think it will help you better understand local work and the reasons why it's best to gain experience OTR or regional first.

In response to your overall question about Paid CDL Training Programs

This blog article will provide additional information as you consider your decision:

Why I Prefer Company Sponsored Training

Good luck!

Posted:  3 days, 1 hour ago

What Does It Take To Be The Best?

Bumping this...

Posted:  3 days, 1 hour ago

Arams diary!!

You know what my other comment might not post. This will be my last one, So I'll leave yall with this, I appreciate everything God bless wish all of you the best of luck in trucking and in life!! Yall be safe out there and keep tricking along!! Take care ✌

That's too bad Aram. I guess in your mind you are successful, no longer in need of the help and information available to you 24x7...

Quitting the forum only hurts you.

I'll leave you with this:

What does it take to be the best?

Good luck.

Posted:  3 days, 12 hours ago

My CR England Nightmare

You "reap what you sow" Scott. Look it up if you don't know what it means...

If you conducted your business with CR England like you have with this forum, not surprising they won't bother with you.

My guess...? We are only getting half the story here and only half the truth. The other half, the CRE half is likely very different than Scott's half, painting the picture of a very difficult, belligerent and disruptive person to deal with.

No need to stand behind what you said (matters not)...tell it to your next company. Bad mouth CRE to them and see how far that gets you.

Posted:  3 days, 13 hours ago

Mentor is out of control. Is this stuff typical?

Not typical and very hard to believe. What company?

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

Leaving after contract

Jose, the thing is, Leasing is not a step up. Just the opposite.

Please read this: Natural Progression of a Truck Driver

Take a look at that and then hit the blog for other articles related to leasing and Owner Operator.

Posted:  3 days, 18 hours ago

Prime: Let's do this!

Good for you. Best of luck.

Posted:  3 days, 19 hours ago

Leaving after contract

Jose...

Rainy just presented the forum with her second year Prime pay total. It's over $70,000.

All BS aside, if you are sure that you surpass that at you new employer, go for it. Otherwise, I think you are being rather short sighted and maybe focused on something minor and not considering the bigger picture.