Profile For G-Town

G-Town's Info

Lewes , DE

Experienced Driver

6 years, 4 months ago

G-Town's Bio

Retired from a 30 year career in computer technology. Finally realized that it was the journey I really enjoyed and not the destination. So in January of 2013 I fulfilled my lifelong love of trucks and driving by enrolling in Swift's Richmond Academy. Graduated, passed the CDL test, and went OTR for 240 hours with a mentor. Once that was completed, I was re-tested by Swift and offered a job. Overall a great experience. I wish I knew about this website while I was contemplating this as a career and while I was in school. Great information exchange.

Fast forward to the current, I am working for Swift as a dedicated driver assigned to the WALMART account in north central PA. Best job I ever had.

Happy to truthfully answer any questions about Swift and/or my experience in school and training.

Posted:  3 hours, 28 minutes ago

Back on the road for my 3rd anniversary

Wow!

dancing.gif

Posted:  3 hours, 58 minutes ago

A question for Past and Present Swift Drivers

Welcome Jerry.

I’d like to clarify a couple of points here:

Swift Academy primarily teaches the student what is required to pass the CDL and tests on road skills, yard skills and pre-trip inspection. Upon graduation the student will take the three parts of the CDL test relevant to their home state (where their license is issued). You will be driving (practicing) locally on roads near whatever Swift Academy you are attending.

Once the CDL is passed; 200 hours of mentoring (road training) will commence. This training is typically done on the lower 48; thus not regional to the specific Swift Academy location. During my mentoring phase I was East coast to West coast numerous times.

I was a Swift Driver for nine consecutive years. Happy to answer any further questions.

Good luck!

Lewiston is in the middle of nowhere. The road training would probably be on mountainous back roads. They’re are no freeways in the area. In fact, there is a section of hwy 12 in the area in which Swift drivers are not allowed. SLC is in a mostly flat valley, intersected by several freeways. So, SLC road training would probably entail more fwy training. Lewiston would probably be more demanding, but make you a better driver. SLC is more of a hub and at a crossroads. It might be easier to get a mentor in SLC once you graduate from the academy.

Posted:  5 hours, 18 minutes ago

Medical emergency

Geez Bruce... in my thoughts and prayers. Get well.

Posted:  1 day, 8 hours ago

Future Driver

I started in 2013 at the ripe age of 54.

Good luck!

Posted:  3 days, 15 hours ago

Possible Schneider Contract Violation (park location was not set to my house so I wasnt getting paid to return to work)

Baby Orange knows...

Big orange isnt exactly known for their good business practices, you dont have to go far on any forum to find an example of that.

Just wow.

How so? 3 months and you’re an expert on Schneider’s business practices? Impressive.

The information on most every forum is not vetted. Usually written by disgruntled, former employees that for a variety of reasons failed, blaming their company. Not worth the effort to read it. Schneider is not a bad company. So please stop now with quoting hearsay and posting false information.

Seemingly you continue seeking advice, yet the information we have provided isn’t what you want to hear. Try to work it out with them...and I suggest conducting yourself professionally and with humility. The contract you speak of; read it before accusing them of a breach.

You approach them with the attitude of; “I’m gonna show them” and they will quickly show you... the door.

Posted:  5 days, 8 hours ago

Supreme Court blocks vaccine mandate

Checking in occasionally? HTF can you then draw the hasty conclusion you did? I disagree with your assessment. Totally disagree with you.

Contribute something positive and valuable if you want respect. Otherwise...don’t be spouting off and offering condescension towards members undeserving of your attitude. You are creating a problem where there isn’t one.

Somebody forcing you to read my comments son? Anyway, I like to check back in here occasionally to see how things are going. This site was an essential tool that helped me get my CDL all those years ago. Hate to see what's going on. But oh well, everybody's at each other's throats now days so we just have to deal with it.

Posted:  5 days, 14 hours ago

Delivering to Grocery Stores

Congratulations Rob!!!

Posted:  6 days, 2 hours ago

Phone charging cords

Bruce I’ve had the same 6’ heavy duty (braided) cord for 3 years. Still going strong. Are you regularity cleaning the socket on the phone? I use a straightened-out paper clip to clean the stuff that accumulates in the socket.

Posted:  6 days, 2 hours ago

Burnt My leg - looking for advice (including pics of the burn)

You suggested he not go to the Dr. I bet you never had a burn that looked like Jamie’s train wreck. Stop...

Bad advice.

Bad advice.

It looks good to my eyes [...]

So my advice was not bad at all, considering what the doctor said. I just had too many cuts, burns and all kinds of other wounds to be able to tell which burn is good, and which is a bad one...

Posted:  6 days, 4 hours ago

Burnt My leg - looking for advice (including pics of the burn)

That’s a relief Jamie. Carry on.

Posted:  6 days, 7 hours ago

Burnt My leg - looking for advice (including pics of the burn)

Bad advice.

It looks good to my eyes. The skin is healing, I wouldn't worry too much. A doctor will look and most likely give tylenol anyway... From my experience, burns heal much faster when exposed to fresh air. Greasy medications slow down the process.

Posted:  6 days, 10 hours ago

Burnt My leg - looking for advice (including pics of the burn)

Jamie please let us know how this turns out. Not trying to alarm you, but please do not wait to get it looked at.

Take care.

Posted:  6 days, 11 hours ago

Burnt My leg - looking for advice (including pics of the burn)

Do you have a family Dr.? If you do, send the photo to them.

I’ll go to an urgent care place, I’m 215 miles from my delivery then 14 miles from our terminal in willamar, tx where I can use a company car to go.

Posted:  6 days, 11 hours ago

Tip for Surviving the Training Miles

Here is a blog article I wrote that discusses humility during school and training:

Ego Becomes the Downfall of Many Students

Posted:  6 days, 11 hours ago

Burnt My leg - looking for advice (including pics of the burn)

Jamie... that is possibly 3rd degree. Dude you gotta get that looked at.

Posted:  6 days, 11 hours ago

Tip for Surviving the Training Miles

The initial phase of team training is very different than running solo. Most companies require the trainer to be in the second chair with the student driving.

Many companies have a minimum number of hours before allowing the trainer to sleep while the student drives. If the trainer is worth their salt, they will allow their sleep to be interrupted if the student needs help.

I wonder why some companies have such a wierd training schedule: first, 30k miles is way too much, and second, team driving for training is not that different from running solo. If the trainer is off duty and sleeping, where is the training? Now as for the rest, I think it is exactly the same as being a guest at any other place: being respectful, polite and helpful.

Posted:  6 days, 11 hours ago

Burnt My leg - looking for advice (including pics of the burn)

It’s infected. Go to an urgent care facility. Please do it soon. Like ASAP.

Posted:  6 days, 15 hours ago

Tip for Surviving the Training Miles

I totally agree with Don on his reply. There are several Blog articles addressing this, here is just one example:

Surviving CDL Training

I won't offer any tips per se, but only to highlight your third tip. To a trainee, I will say if you want to get along with the trainer and make the best out of the training period, you will be wise to follow this third tip. If not, your training period could be difficult. Respect those drivers who are willing to train you, and show respect for their home on the road as you are a guest.

3) Lastly, I seek to stay humble and open. I set aside the fact that I ran the show at my old job... now I'm the guest, the rookie, the trainee. I listen to what I'm told, seek to learn even a nuance even if it's something he's told me before, and I seek to show consideration and respect (cleaning up, taking out the trash, etc.).

Posted:  1 week, 1 day ago

Glad hand problem

No worries Bruce. It happens. I did the same thing once or twice

All good.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Glad hand problem

Banks wrote...

Bruce can't catch a break

Perhaps. But if this ever happens again; he’ll know exactly what it is and how to fix it.