Comments By Seadragon H.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/flag.jpg avatar

I Got my CDL

So, tell us which company you're going with. Carolina Cargo in Rock Hill?

Hey guys just passed my test! Hallelujah!! I got it praise God! And I'll finish my training diary as well for all to see. Hope it helps someone!

Texas CDL skills test fail

Youtube has videos about pre-trip inspections. Something else to consider if money is getting tight; Roehl Transport will pay you $500.00 weekly to attend their school in Grand Prairie, plus provide meals and lodging. They're the only company that actually puts students on salary during school. You'll have no trouble passing with Roehl.

ACO476 thank you for clarifying. I see you started your training about the same time as me. Now that I will have to start over again do you have any tips or pointers for me? The pre trip got me twice and then hitting a cone the last time when parallel parking.

Thanks a gain.

Have to make a choice of company to work for.

Britton hires new grads; the website isn't up to date; you're right about that.

The good news is I've gotten pre-hires from 2 companies and now I have to make the decision which one is the better of the 2. I'm about a month short of graduation from School and trying to decide which way to go. One company sort of pushes Lease op on you and the other sort of pushes Teams. I'm not interested in leasing a truck straight out of school. And I have to Team for 3 months before I can go solo if I so choose or I can stay teams. hhmmmm? decisions decisions. Be safe Mark

2 pre-hires isn't enough; submit some more applications :..........Britton Transport......NFI Industries......Shaffer Trucking......Don Hummer Trucking......Halvor Lines......J&R Schugel......Schuster-nations largest ice cream hauler......Go for it!

All great options,...except however it appears that Britton Transport requires 18 months of experience as a pre-qualification for hire. Still doesn't hurt to call them because many times website information is not current.

Good luck.

Have to make a choice of company to work for.

You can also try Werner dry van division for a pre-hire. Do not sign up for driver unload accounts such as Dollar General or any other. Tehh them you want dry van coast to coast.

Have to make a choice of company to work for.

When to apply with Trucking Companies?

You don't have to relocate for the companies I listed. Home time is based on company policy, not how close to a terminal you are. The only benefit to living near a terminal is easy truck parking plus if any maintenance needs to be done on the truck, the mechanics can do it while you're on home time. If you do relocate, come on out to Las Vegas; no personal income taxes in Nevada...lol.

When to apply with Trucking Companies?

First question to ask; "Am I allowed to take my dog?" Some companies have weight limitations for dogs also. Another question; "How much is the pet deposit and may I pay it with payments or credit card?" Here's a few that hire new cdl grads and have pet policy and hire California drivers ://Watkins-Shepard///Pride Transport-super nice trucks//Schuster//KKW Trucking//Jim Palmer Trucking//Southern Refrigerated Transport//KLLM//May Trucking Company//Knight Transportation- dry van national fleet. I can't figure out how to get these names on a list instead of a sentence format. If you want something more local, try Mountain Valley Express and Wildwood Express.

South Florida Resident - Get paid while getting CDL - Paid Training

Looking for options........I'm not paying $3-5K for any schools. I'm fine with signing a contract as long as it's a good company with a decent starting salary.

What are my options. Most places / most good places are not hiring out of Florida.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roehl Transport pays you $500.00 a week while attending their cdl school.

Taking bicycles on the road

What about stowing it on the top bunk?

That's the right answer. Keep it in the sleeper because no matter how you try to protect it on the outside of the truck, it will be road grime and weather damaged.

I need help with a short girl problem

My wife and I were in truck driving school together at Crowder College but today they made her withdraw from the class. We were in a four week program. She wants to come back in February to try again in a five week program they have. She is 5'1 and about 135 pounds. She pulls up so close to the steering wheel that when she shift gears she needs to sort of reach back and around and that causes her to turn the wheel whenever she has to shift gears. She also had problems with the clutch because she had a hard time pressing in it all the way. I'm going to finish up the four week program and get started with CFI, and she plans to return to Crowder again to try once more. So the question is, do any of you know of away to over come the problems she's having from being short?

There's people shorter than her driving trucks. The problem is with the school she's attending, not her. Why don't you and her team with Benny Whitehead Trucking right there in Eufaula?

I need help with a short girl problem

Probably Abilene Motor Express in Richmond,VA

Is there a company that would hire just with the auto endorsement ?

Texas CDL skills test fail

/ Sygma Network / Reinhart Foodservice / Labatt Foodservice / McLane Company / Some food service companies will hire you with only the cdl permit. They then give you 60 or 90 days to qualify for the hard copy cdl. You must apply as a driver helper to get this type job and use the online application. You and the other driver will drive and work as a team. The websites may not show these jobs, but they are available.

Going to trucking from driving a bus (California)

Jim Palmer Trucking has a good program and unlike Swift and CRST, the trucks are set up for driver comfort with Tripac APU and hookups for computer, flatscreen Direct TV, refrigerator, etc. Also look at Celadon. CRST you'll run teams for minimum 10 months.

I'm almost to my final decision on which company I am going to go with!

I'd go with Britton Transport. They're a smaller flatbed company that runs 48 states and Canada. Canada is not forced though. Trucks are nice with APU. They hire new cdl grads.

Werner

Keep shopping around and take the best offer. Don't do the driver unload accounts because it will ruin your back unloading 3000 cases probably 2 or 3 times a week. Here's some to look at and they hire new cdl grads. If the website has "experience required" ignore it because the website isn't up to date. Danny Herman Trucking - dry van, coast to coast running and no northeast or New York City. Terminals all the way from California to the East Coast. Freymiller - refrigerated coast to coast. / Eagle KMC - in Phoenix / Mountain Valley Express /

PTL Orientation

Take a sleeping bag and pillow. The reason for this is your trainer won't want you sleeping on his sheets and you're not allowed to sleep on the top bunk when the truck is moving. After you're assigned your own truck, then you can switch to sheets if you want to.

Question about getting my CDL when I'm only 19

Good idea; get the cdl now. Attend a 160 hr. cdl school. You won't have to retake any tests when you're 21, but maybe IL has some rule where they must note you're then interstate eligible. When you're 21 there's dozens of companies that will hire you for OTR and I have a good long list of those. FFE (Frozen Food Express) is one of many. They may put you through their refresher course to prepare you for coast to coast running. Plenty more to choose from. In the meantime, some household goods companies will hire you as a driver helper. Maybe some local delivery companies can use you such as lumber companies, etc.

No one will hire me. Trucker dream down the drain

Do an online application with Carolina Cargo, then after about 24 hours, give them a call. They hire felons and drivers with bad MVR. They don't go by what's on their website; they bend their own hiring rules. They do California turnarounds back to back and that's all they do. You can have hometime after 3 turns, then back at it again.

So I have not been on the road for at least a year. I've been threw alot in my life and I'm reaching out for answers. My driving record is pretty bad, from reckless driving in Virginia in a personal vehicle to my license being suspended for 3 months for not having insurance in my personal vehicle as well as 2 marijuuana misdemeanor chargers on my record. one of them was a differed judgement which I completed. I'm currently serving 3 months of probation for a recent charge that happen in August. I just got my CDL back not to long ago and my medical card expires on the 29th of this month. I've been denied by every job. I went threw a drug treatment program on my previous charge which led to my differed judgment. I'm literally about to give up and just say F it. I don't know what to do. I currently work in a freezer packing out wholesale food. I miss the road but it doesn't look like I'll be getting back on it anytime soon.

Any Tanker companies hire straight out of school?

Seadragon wrote:

Seadragon do you work for Trimac? That's some serious coin you mentioned, can you substantiate this further.

Just a real quick update on this...had some time to check out Trimac's website, specifically their open driving opportunities. For experienced drivers they are advertising "up to 47K annual income" level for company drivers in South Eastern locations. I strongly believe the pay referenced above is Owner Operator gross pay; before costs, expenses and taxes are factored in and taken out (deducted).

So again Seadragon, how did you come up with a number like this; "over 100k"? We like to stick to the facts here, so please offer some.

The driver I'm familiar with is a company driver and stays out 3 weeks. He runs, for example, from Los Angeles to Delaware and back to California, then maybe to Florida. He said he's only required to stay out 2 weeks, but he prefers 3 weeks. He makes over $100K per year. The $47K you mentioned must be for hauling dry bulk cement or flyash locally. Hazmat chemical drivers with any tanker outfit never make that low. I easily made $65K with another company and only worked 11 mos a year because I like long vacations. I have no reason to BS anyone on here and I trust the drivers word that he makes that. The average pay is $80K where he is, but he never slows down or goofs off. There's some excellent high paying jobs around if drivers are motivated to search for them; not with the megas though. For example, Continental Carbonic, which is dry van hauling dry ice. Most drivers never heard of the company but the pay is great: Company Driver Benefits Average Pay $70,000 Annual Top Pay $90,000 Annual

Then there's Old Dominion; I know a guy running teams there doing line haul and they split $225K per year doing west coast turnarounds. This company hires new cdl grads at most terminals, especially in PA.

Any Tanker companies hire straight out of school?

Trimac Transportation is good for OTR. Can make over $100K in their Elite Fleet running coast to coast.

25 years otr 3 years of that pulling food grade tanker want to move up to hazmat carrier can I get some responses on gross yearly income pull only hazmat for miller transporters or transwood or one of the other