Comments By Kieran L.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/bigrig6.jpg avatar
  • Kieran L.
  • Comments:

What do you listen to while you drive?

This is slightly off-topic but related to music, I just wanted to say if anyone reading this has the opinion that jazz is for old people, but you like hip-hop music, you should check out some music in the "Acid Jazz" genre. If you have Spotify there's an official playlist for it, but there's plenty of other places to find it of course. Basically, its Jazz music with a hip-hop style beat and rhythmic lyrics, plus its usually actually good music unlike the crap they play on most rap/hip-hop radio stations. I used to think I hated all rap and hip-hop and country music (was a metalhead at the time) until I found out what I really hated was the crap on popular radio stations. Every genre out there pretty much has good artists and bad ones though if you dig deep enough.

Anyway that's all just my personal rantings so you don't have to listen to any of it if you don't want to. The important thing is just to find music you enjoy! :)

A world without music is a world not worth living in.

How to find up-to-the-minute road conditions?

All these are good an of course keep your CB on and don't be afraid to ask what the weather looks like ahead of you. Someone may be driving through the exact spot you'll be passing through in the next few minutes and can warn you if there's anything crazy going on.

What do you listen to while you drive?

Never heard of the company the OP was talking about, but when I'm driving I generally either listen to the engine, spotify music, or my own music library.

As far as musical tastes, I love many types of music from a wide variety of artists, so really it just depends on my mood. At any given time I might be listening to classical spanish guitar, old rock and roll, new heavy metal, all types of jazz, techno/trance/EDM, blues, some country, hip-hop, irish folk music, carribean steel drum music, really the sky's the limit it just depends on what I feel like at that particular moment. I try not to limit or restrict myself to certain genres. I'll give any music a chance, I simply like what I like and I can tell you if I like it when I hear it. (I'm also an amateur DJ so that might have something to do with my varied tastes, I'm always trying to stay on top of the latest new dance hits.)

I also like a good book, I haven't tried audiobooks yet but I might like it on long hauls, not sure yet. I'm slightly concerned about the possibility of distraction while driving if I'm listening to a book or story.

When you get sick while on the job?

Forgot to add, I would also immediately seek out the nearest doctor or urgent care facility after informing my DM, and get a doctor's note so I could have verifiable proof of my illness.

When you get sick while on the job?

If I ever got really sick while out on the road, to the point that it would be impossible or unsafe for me to continue driving, I would immediately inform my DM that I was very sick and could not accept any more loads until I start feeling better. Hopefully I'd have felt it coming on and would at least complete my last load before it was too late, but if I was still under load and it came on suddenly, where I knew I couldn't deliver my current load, then I would ask for a repower (someone else to come hook to my load and deliver it) due to my illness. Drivers are still human beings, things happen and we do get really sick once in a while. Any company that can't understand that is a company I wouldn't want to work for.

How to move to America an get a job

I would also like to say that once you have your green card and your regular USA driver's license, even though you can't drive the large class A or B trucks yet, you could still get a job for your first year driving a non-CDL box truck (delivery van), so you could at least be driving our roads every day for your job. Then after 1 year, you can go to CDL school and get your Class A license, and start driving the big trucks. :)

Are there Trucking Consultants for rookies?

$45k your first year is possible, some have done it, though its not all that common. Most first-year truckers make more like $35k for year one, $45k is realistic for your second year however, and $50-60k a year with a few years experience under your belt. More in certain cases for certain jobs. The one thing that almost no trucking company can do though, is guarantee you'll make a certain amount your first year. Honestly, most of the earning potential lies with you, and your personal work ethic and productivity. You could work your ass off and make $45k your very first year possibly, or you could also make very little money if you have the wrong attitude, are lazy, or unsafe driver, etc.

If your goal is to hit $45k on year one though, you'll probably need to take the highest paying position you can starting out, which I think will probably be flatbedding for one of the higher paying "starter" companies (I'm just talking about companies that are willing to hire new green drivers, they're still fine to work for long-term too!) like maybe Prime's lightweight truck division. There are plenty of options, only you can decide what the best fit for you will be.

TRUCKING SCHOOLS IN CALIFORNIA OR COMPANY-SPONSORED CDL TRAINING PROGRAMS???

Hello Oscar,

Since you already have your CDL Class A permit (if I understand you correctly), if you don't have money or don't wish to pay up front for trucking school, your best bet is to get on with a Company-Sponsored Training program. (click that link)

With your permit in hand you're already a step ahead of the game, and you should have no problem getting a company to sponsor you (provided you don't have any other serious problems standing in your way of being accepted). The great things about a company-sponsored CDL school are that it won't cost you any money up front, you'll get your CDL quickly, and you'll have a job waiting for you with the company sponsoring you!

There are a few down sides as well of course, but honestly the benefits outweigh the negatives. The downsides would be that you will be committed to working for that company generally for about a year in order to pay off your debt to them for your schooling, and the pay is usually a little less that first year as a result also. All in all, its totally worth it if you want to get trucking and you can't or don't want to pay for private trucking school.

Poetential solution for drowsy driving

Now, if you really wanted to design something much more useful, design a gps system that would incorporate a driver's elogs , accurate gps and trip planning, even going as far as re route for traffic issues when possible and track weather systems. That my friend would be a game changing idea

Now that, is a great idea!

That already exists: Rand McNally TND Tablet plus HD 100 E-logging device for your TND Tablet

Also, there's this: Garmin dēzlCam™ LMTHD which is Garmin's all-in-one device for truckers.

dancing-banana.gif

Poetential solution for drowsy driving

I agree if a driver is too tired to stay awake on their own, they SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING regardless of any external stimuli designed to shock you awake. Its simply unsafe to continue driving at that point, and that goes for ANY vehicles on the road, not just truck drivers. I feel that such a device is a bad idea because it would encourage some drivers to try and use it as a crutch, relying on it to wake them up so they can keep going instead of stopping and getting some rest. And if the driver falls asleep with your device on, and the device fails to wake them or malfunctions for some reason, and said driver runs off the road or gets in an accident as a result, guess who they're going to try to sue for all the money they can get? Do you really want that kind of liability on your hands just so you can sell a product that promotes continuing to drive after it has already become unsafe to do so?

Best truck company to bring Passenger and Pet?

Hi Jordan and welcome! :)

I'd suggest you start investigating companies in this list first: List Of Trucking Companies That Allow Pets Do keep in mind companies are changing their policies all the time so the information may not always be 100% up to date. Always contact the companies directly for the latest info and answers to your questions on their policies.

Also you'll want to investigate this list of companies that hire new/inexperienced drivers: Trucking Companies That Hire Inexperienced Drivers its by no means a complete and exhaustive list of every company out there that would hire you, but it covers most of the major companies and gives you a good number of places to start talking to.

Thankfully there are quite a few options, you'll have to decide for yourself which companies are the best fit for you personally, but these links also may help:

How To Choose A Company

Apply For Truck Driving Jobs

Understanding Pre-Hires

Good luck and keep us updated!

Hardest Part of Being Out Here

Hugs to you! smile.gif I really do love hugs, I'm a total hug****. I'll hug just about anyone who wants one lol!

OK so what's the deal with Prime lease?

The reason the company wants everyone to go lease (and why you "appear" to make more money leasing), is that you're taking all the risk upon yourself and your credit financially. The companies love this as it means less expenses and more profit for them.

You must make the payment on the truck, which is a very sizeable portion of your income usually. When the truck needs maintenance or something breaks on a company truck, the company pays to get it fixed to get you rolling again. When its YOUR truck (leased or owned) then the bill falls on YOU to get it paid out of your pocket, which can be very expensive. If its your truck then you're paying for the fuel, oil, tires, and whatever else it needs (you may get a fuel surcharge from your company but it typically won't cover 100% of your fuel expenses), and also with your truck you run it as your business and so you have a lot more responsibility and liability. You must buy insurance, pay your taxes, etc.

Furthermore, if a company truck isn't moving, its costing them money. But if YOUR truck isn't moving, it costs YOU money, but the company doesn't suffer because its not their truck and they aren't having to pay for it. When you factor in all the expenses and liability of leasing or buying your own truck, the difference in pay goes away. You really don't make much IF ANY more than a company driver in the end, and you COULD end up broke instead.

I suggest reading this if you haven't already: So You're Thinking About Becoming An Owner-Operator?

And also: Lease-purchase: Sounds like a good deal, right?

That said, I believe there are certain reasons why some people might wish to purchase a truck, which have little or nothing to do with the money, but I do NOT think it is right for everyone or even for the majority of truckers, and CERTAINLY not for anyone without at least several years of significant trucking experience already in the industry.

So, about that truck driver shortage ...

From a driver's perspective the job market does feel like we're in huge demand but the paycheck begs to differ.

I do agree but also gotta say honestly $35-65k/yr for a job that doesn't require a college degree is still pretty damn good in today's market. I will say having worked a long string of mostly entry level jobs in my lifetime that did not require a college degree, even first year OTR drivers make more in a year than I have ever made before. Granted, the hours and demands are also significantly more than most entry level jobs, but I still think the pay in trucking is a decent liveable wage for most people (just not as great as it maybe could or should be for what the job requires).

Interstate 80 in Wyoming

Any winter blend or "de-icer" blend windshield washer fluid generally contains methanol or ethanol alcohol as well as ethylene glycol, which should be enough to dissolve ice on the windshield in all but the coldest of conditions.

Where have all the Professional Truckers gone?

This post was much easier to read, thanks Jerry. I'd like to reply from my own viewpoint, but I recognize yours may be different and also admittedly I'm still a newbie to the trucking world so I don't have your experience.

1.) Things sure seemed so much more simple and innocent back in the day. For me, the 1970s. I remember Truckers as good, honest, helpful, humble people. Like the TV series, " MOVEN' ON". Where has that image of Truckers gone?

I think this still exists today, as most truckers I've met are good, honest, helpful people. The humble part depends on the person, and of course trucking tends to attract a lot of type A personalities, which aren't always the humblest of people. Some are though, and I think in general from what I hear from most people, truckers today are still mostly friendly, helpful people when you get to know them.

2.) Where has our national pride went. I have no problem being an outspoken patriot. While I served in the US Navy, I had the chance to visit many different countries. I love the United States of America and our way of life. We American citizens should try to remember, we may be black, white, brown, male, female, young, old, blond, or brunette, "BUT" we are all Americans.

I still see plenty of national pride as well, I myself love the USA as a nation, I wouldn't wish to live anywhere else. Most truck stops I've been inside have a number of patriotic items and generally an assortment of american flags, and I know a lot of truckers today are ex-military. Many of my friends are former military, I'm wondering what makes you ask where our national pride went? I still see it every day.

3.) When a man or woman chooses to become a Professional Trucker, there are resposibilities that come with the job. We are the Pros and these are our roads. We must step up and be the modern day, "Knights Templar", protecting the safety of those that travel our roads. If you are not up to the challenge, go flip burgers.

I agree protecting the safety of everyone on the road should be the top priority of every trucker out there. I was taught this from day one when I started studying for the CDL test.

4.) Truck Driver Acadameys, please don't forget to teach some of the nuts and bolts of being a Professional Trucker. Each Professional Trucker should know, at least, the basics of how and why his truck works the way it does.

I think pretty much all of the academies TRY to do this, now whether the student takes it to heart and applies it is up to them. As the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

5.) Last, but most important of all, "PEOPLE MATTER MORE THAN FREIGHT". I have never considered the company policy when it comes to the safety of another human being. Any company, dispatcher , or driver manager , that puts FREIGHT FIRST, would have to stand by and watch as my behind fades into the sunset for the last time.

Absolutely people matter more than freight. Safety is always the top concern when driving a class A CMV. Now do understand though, that safety is also the reason for some of the rules and laws we have now that didn't used to exist in the trucking world, such as running e-logs instead of paper (Because running 16+ hours a day just because you can cheat your paper logs and get away with it is NOT a safe driving practice. Tired driving has been proven to be even more dangerous than drunk driving.), and the rules about only approved riders and no picking up hitchhikers. The approved riders only rules are all about safety, because many truckers have been robbed, trucks stolen, or lost their lives due to taking someone unknown onboard, not to mention if you get in an accident with an unapproved rider onboard you and your company could be sued for millions if they are injured or killed.

Now I would still stop and help someone if I think they need help and I can help.

Have you had any recent experiences that lead you to believe that things are worse than they used to be? Overall from what I know I think they are as good or better now than they used to be in the old outlaw trucking days, except for maybe the pay.

Paid CDL Certification

Most company sponsored CDL training programs will pay you while you're in training (on the road with trainer) but I don't know too many that will pay you while you're still in school. Some I think may allow you to take a small cash advance that you will have to pay back later, I'm not sure which ones right off the top of my head though. Still, it may be a faster way to get rolling since the company sponsored schools are streamlined and they try to get you in and out quick so you can start making money for the company (and yourself). If you haven't done so already, check out the list of Company-Sponsored Training here on the site and investigate further by contacting each company you're interested in and asking questions.

Good luck! :)

Truck Drivers were the Honorable Knights of this country's highways, WHAT HAPPENED?

Much respect to you sir, but I can't figure out what your point is in this post... are you saying truckers are no longer helpful or friendly? I'm not sure what to make of everything you said, it seems to go in a lot of different unrelated directions. confused.gif

Extreme cold weather truck parking - per Swift

You people in the know correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC I think most no-idle states have exemptions to the law if the temperature is beyond a certain range either way (extreme cold or heat). So if its crazy cold I think you can still idle in most places.

Naked Trucker Man

I certainly won't start any flame wars over that, everyone's entitled to believe what they wish. I would like to point out though, that the bible (if that is what you believe) outrightly condemns the use of violence and killing many times, that's where the whole "turn the other cheek" thing came from that Jesus was quoted as saying. If your enemy strikes you, as a christian you are supposed to "turn the other cheek" i.e. remain non-violent and non-combatant. Most other non-christian religions of the world also preach non-violence as well, with a handful of exceptions for certain situations.