Comments By >>--HuntinDoug-->

https://www.parableguitars.net/images/about/dw.jpg avatar

Driving truck in windy conditions?

One of the few fears I have about driving a semi is strong cross winds. I remember as a kid I rode with my dad once and it was really windy. I could feel the truck moving as the cross wind hit it. I was scared, but it didnt seem to phase my dad at all. How much of an issue is it, and what stories do you veteran drivers have of driving in the wind?

Good lesson for all of us

Interesting... I always though that as long as you have the endorsements, a class A covers everything. Good to know.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

Sorry to open up a can of worms here guys...

Let me elaborate a bit: I'm not saying all unions are bad. I'm merely outlining my only experience with a union. I never had a problem with union prior to this incident. Unions were put in place for a good reason. But, like many large entities, over time it became corrupt. The biggest problem I had with the situation was that the union basically told me exactly what to say about my injury. I chose to tell the truth... That's how I try to live my life. I don't feel that I need to apologize for that. The potential financial gain was just not worth what it would do to my concious. When they (the union) realized I didn't say what they told me to, I was approached by the plant rep and 2 other lower reps. They verbally scolded me (in front of my co-workers) for not "taking advantage" of the situation. It was almost as if I had betrayed them. They even went as far as to ask me who I voted for in the presidential election. They said if I voted the "wrong ticket" not to expect much help from them in the future.

I'm convinced someone else pocketed (stole) my $1500 signing bonus. Contractually it was mine... I din't get it. They wanted to send me a clear message... and it was received loud and clear. They knew I had no one to appeal to. They purposly wouldnt take my calls. So, I had to ask myself the question(s): Do I really want to be associated with an organization that expets me to vote for who they tell me to, expects me to lie when ordered to, then steals from me when I don't?

I left GM less than a year later.

Unions ...... Good or bad??

I was a member of the Teamsters 25 years ago. I would never join another union for three reasons:

1. The folks who run the union often just take your money and then just play golf with the owners of the company and fail to help you when there's a real problem.

2. Union jobs are usually based on seniority instead of performance, which encourages laziness among the most experienced and puts the burden on the new guys. I'd rather be recognized and rewarded quickly when I outperform someone who's been there twenty years instead of being told to take it easy for fear of making someone else look bad.

3. I don't need anyone to negotiate for me. If I don't like my job, I'll find another.

You'll get strong opinions the other way, I'm sure.

Yea... I have to chime in here. The above statement is very accurate. I worked at GM from 1997 to 2001. In 2000 I was in a tractor accident, an blew out my L5S1 disc. The union tried and tried to get me to say I hurt myself at work... I refused. I ended up being off work for almost 6 months before the company let me come back, and that was only after passing a PT test. During my time off I drew $147/week from the companies short term dis insurance. Every week the union took 100% of their "dues". While I was off, a new contract was voted in. I was allowed (and encouraged) to to come in and vote. Part of the agreement was a $1500 signing bonus. When it never showed up on my check I called my union rep. He told me since I wasn't working, I wasn't entitled to it. HUGE double standard. Every time I tried to call the union office I got hung up on. Their motto was "a fair day's work for a fair day's pay". The only thing I ever saw the reps do was argue with Mgt over trivial stuff, and tell the workers to "slow down... this is a marathon, not a sprint race".

The plant I worked at was 3/4 of a mile long, and had 3700 employees. Now, it's nothing but a overgrown parking lot with a hole in the middle.

Really rough day... :,(

Don't let it get you down. Guy's like that need an appointment with a baseball bat. Get yourself one of these:

Tasco 3MP Night Vision Trail Camera, Black

Ohio temp permit laws

Awesome... Thanks Errol! I'm gonna star cramming for the test on Friday. Then the following week, or the next week (depending on my confidence level) I'll go take the permit, and the endorsement tests.

Ohio temp permit laws

Sorry for all the detailed questions... I forgot to mention, I have got conflicting info from local drivers, and info on the internet. Some have told me the permit test IS the written test... Others have told me there is a written test for the permit, then you have to take another written test at the same time you take the road test. I'm trying to study only whats needed for now (temps & endorsements) so I don't go into "information overload" in CDL school...

Thanks again guys... I can't imagine going through this process without the info & knowledge here on TT.

Ohio temp permit laws

Thanks guys! I got the OH CDL book about a month ago, and have been reading through it, and answering the questions at the end of each chapter. I just started doing the High road training program. By the way... It's awesome!

I do have a couple more questions: What questions are on the test to get your temps? Is it just a few questions, or, is it the same as the written test to get your lisence?

The reason I ask is I will be studying the specific chapters on Hazmat, triples, doubles, etc... What else should I study when I go to get my temps?

Ohio temp permit laws

I just got off the phone with the local CDL school I will be attending in Jan. I'm a detail person, so I'm trying to get everything lined up early so there are no surprises... or at least minimize them. She suggested that instead of waiting to get my temps on the 4th day of CDL class, I should go ahead and get my permit, and take the Hasmat, Double/Triple & the Tanker endorsement tests. She said I would get a $27 refund from the school since the testing fees are included in the tuition. She also said if I go back later to get even 1 endorsement, I will have to pay for a new license too.

To you guy's that have been there: What's your thoughts... Is getting them early a good idea, or is it a potential waste of time & money?

Ordered an RC Toy Truck...

HuntinDoug, please forgive me for interupting your thread, but I have been curious about something, and wanted to ask you about it ever since you joined our forum. One of my closest friends is also a Luthier, and I know that he is a member of a Luthier's Guild, and active on some Luthier forums. He builds acoustic guitars, but I was just curious if you may have ever met him or heard of him. His name is Steve Kinnaird and he lives in my hometown of Nacogdoches, TX. Ever heard of him?

I don't know Steve... But, there's not many of us out there, so it's not uncommon for us to know each other. I was a member of a luthier forum for a couple years. I build mainly electric guitars. Kind of a different animal altogether than an acoustic. Steve is probably on an acoustic forum if I had to guess.

Ordered an RC Toy Truck...

In a thread a week or so ago there was talk of if a toy truck would help a noobie understand how a truck reacts to turns... especially when backing. The mor I thought about it, the better the idea sounded. I couldnt resist. I ordered one of these:

Walmart dedicated

According to Schneider, the OH run is mostly night driving.

Schneider recruiter Q&A

One thing I forgot to add is even though Schneider is going to all automatics, canidates still have to be certified to operate a manual transmission.

Schneider recruiter Q&A

Today I spoke with a Schneider recruiter. Many of the questions I asked were from a PDF list I got from here on TT. I omitted several questions from the list that have the answers on their website. I don't know how accurate the info is, but I thought I'd share... Hope it helps:

Q- Where is your orientation locations? A- Green Bay WI, Indy IN (dedicated & dry van), Chicago (intermodal), Houston TX & Pittsburg PA (tanker division)

Q- Do the trainers get graded by the students after completion or is there a feedback loop to make the training better? A- YES

Q- Team driving during training? A- NO,

Q- What is the pay during orientation and training? A- $80/day

Q- Idling policy? A- Idling is allowed Under 32degrees, Over 75 degrees. See state specific laws for allowed length of time.

Q- APU units in trucks? A- NO

Q- Is per diem built into the pay? A- per diem is optional

Q- Breakdown and layover pay? A- Detention pay? YES, all 3 are $10/hour after 2 hours.

Q- Are they no touch or is unloading involved? Pay for unloading? A- Pay for load is $100. Pay for unload is $100 (I didnt ask how many loads or unloads there can be per load).

Q- How does the pay period work? A- Paid on Friday's, delayed 1 week.

Q- Slip seating or assigned trucks? A- YES, however it is account specific. Slip seating is generally used on 7/7 and 7/4/7/3

Q- What percentage of the fleet are automatic transmissions? A- Approx 20% at this time. Schneider plans on changing the fleet to 100% Automatics.

Q- What speed are trucks governed at? A- 63mph on cruise, and 65mph on pedal. Actual governed mph can vary.

Q- What miles are paid miles and what miles are not? A- All miles are paid at the same CPM rate. Rates vary with experience & load type.

Q- If weather, driver (sick) or road conditions are such that I feel it is unsafe to continue driving, will I be penalized for parking until it is safe? A- Safety first

Q- Other than obvious reasons, what are the reasons I could be disciplined and or fired for? A- Safety violations, multiple late deliveries.

Q- How are delivery times calculated? A- Delivery time is calculated at 50mph from the time the load is dispatched. 10 hours off is added for each 14 hours at 50mph. I'm not sure if I am calculating this correctly. I only came up with a 4 hour buffer on a 1000 mile run:

Calculated: 1000 mile run at 50mph= 20 hours + 10 hours off after 14 hours (14h + 10h + 6h)= 30hours total

Actual: 1000 mile run at 63mph= 16 hours + 10 hours off after 14 hours (14h + 10h + 2h)= 26hours total (4 hour buffer)

Q- If for any reason I don’t make it through orientation, does the company provide return transport to my home, or am I left on the curb? A-Schneider provides a bus ticket home. If distance is greater that 600 miles, a plane ticket may be provided instead.

Q- Is the new "Earn your CDL" program nation wide? A- NO, it is only in selected areas of IL, OH, and CO.

Schneider offering CDL training

That's interesting... If you go to their website, they have a section for CDL training in OH: http://schneiderjobs.com/search-driving-opportunities/details/141101

I'm wondering if it may be a pilot program for this area... I have a phone interview with a recruiter tomorrow @ 3:30 eastern. I will specifically ask him if this is available in VA. If you want, email me your phone # and the best time to call. It may be good to compare notes since we are starting about the same time... huntindoug at americaonline(AOL)dotcom

Company sponsored training hiring private school students?

I talked to a recruiter today... They still hire from private CDL schools also.

Schneider offering CDL training

Actually, I don't work for them yet... So I'm sure I cant get the bonus. It would sure be nice though. LOL When do you plan on starting with them? I'm guessing I will start with Schneider sometime in Feb. I'm leaning toward getting my CDL local, stating on Jan 4th.

Schneider offering CDL training

I just got off the phone with a Schneider rep. They now offer a company sponsored CDL training program similar to Roehl. They tell me they teamed up with several private schools to add this to their recruiting options. I plan on getting my CDL locally, then signing with them. I thought I'd post info here to be added to the list of companies that offer it:

1 year contract... If the recruit doesnt fulfill the 1 year the payback is $4000 (prorated) 4 week 8am to 5pm schedule. CDL training is unpaid lodging is provided lunch is provided transportation to/from hotel is not provided

Hope the info helps...

Do they offer this in Virginia? Did you call their 180044PRIDE #? If not is it possible for you to give me the # you called so I can ask them? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure about VA. I filled out an online app. She said you have to be located within 30 miles of the facility. When I told her I'm 36 miles away, she said no problem. I talked to Brianna 920-592-4039... Tell her I sent you. It could be worth $500 :~)

Schneider offering CDL training

They said the CDL school closest to me is in Wilmington, OH. And the 2 training facilities (after CDL school) closest to me are Gary IN, and Green Bay WI

Schneider offering CDL training