Profile For ∆_Danielsahn_∆

∆_Danielsahn_∆'s Info

Niagara Falls , NY

Rookie Solo Driver

2 years, 6 months ago

∆_Danielsahn_∆'s Bio

I am always reachable via email, at danielsmarkey@gmail.com. Or you can call me at 716-479-2641. I may not answer at first but leave a message.

∆_Danielsahn_∆'s Photo Gallery Group 1 of 2

Posted:  14 hours, 51 minutes ago

Starting out regional and "paying your dues"

I started NE Regional with Swift (Walmart)...

But as Gtown said

IMO "Paying your dues" applies more to the training process and the myriad of challenges/hurddles/setbacks faced in the first 6 months regardless of OTR or Regional or Dedicated.

That first 6 months was very challenging, and spanned a crazy winter, to boot.

Regardless what you choose, remember, PATIENCE, no need to rush.

Posted:  1 day, 15 hours ago

To Idle Or Not To Idle

My company's idle policy is "idle for comfort." That is what I do. I usually start the night with the truck off, but turn it on, when my invertor starts swearing at me. My truck does a decent job of maintaining temperature, after I shut it off, but warm weather is here, so we will see.

What is your company's policy? Do your best to follow it, but don't sacrifice your health, or safety, because of it. Being able to sleep comfortably is a necessity, in my opinion. A tired driver is a dangerous driver.

Posted:  1 day, 16 hours ago

When is it too soon to look for another school?

Jeremy,

Today, it took me 45 minutes to back into a dock. At the 40th minute, the light bulb turned on, and I slid it right in.

That light bulb WILL turn on for you. The same thing happened to me in school, too. Patience is the key.

The neat thing about today, is I can see Susan D's company HQ from the dock. I could also see the CRST training area, Because I missed the turn into the place I am delivering.

We are So Close, but so far away!

Posted:  2 days, 2 hours ago

Disappointed but Now Experienced and Rewarded

And I am more on the oval side smile.gif

Posted:  3 days, 17 hours ago

Started CDL School yesterday !!

Dan M.

I am also a Dan M.

Posted:  3 days, 18 hours ago

Disappointed but Now Experienced and Rewarded

.But to be successful you MUST find your FIT (what works for you) in order to be successful at it

Great post. This right here says it all.

Posted:  4 days, 15 hours ago

Please Update Your Avatar

It worked

Posted:  5 days, 12 hours ago

Lightning Strikes, and other "adventures"

So far, I am really loving my new job with Don Hummer Trucking, but I have to say, that if it weren't for my time on the Swift Walmart account, I would probably be dead in the water. The many backing scenarios I encountered with Swift, gave me the confidence, and tools to tackle each of the places I encountered. Some of these places are definitely NOT made for anything more than a Pup/Day cab combo, or a straight truck. My last delivery, due to being detained at my first stop for 3 hours, was 30 minutes late, as he was closing up. So we rescheduled for 7am next day. I am very glad it worked out this way, because this was one of the aforementioned places I got to walk the area, and figure out my game plan, for delivery time. Long story short, I backed a 1/4 mile down a public access road, and did a 45 degree dock, around a telephone pole. And had to not block traffic once docked. It was actually, pretty fun, and a great challenge.

A few days ago, when that crazy storm front was moving through Pennsylvania, I was traveling down US 15 South, Just barely ahead of the storm front. Just as I pulled into my delivery, In Hazeleton, PA, it finally caught up with me, and backing in a torrential downpour is a challenge in and of itself. Afterwards, the storm had let up, but there was some crazy spiderweb type lightning, as it raced across the sky. It was beautiful, and a touch scary. Back on the road, where Pen-309, and-I81split, I was following a Prime Truck, when a series of lightning bolts started a massive web in the sky. I could feel the static, and then a bold came down and hit the truck, about 100 yards ahead of me. The driver was ok, but his entire electrical system was fried. I wonder how he explained that situation to Breakdown?!?!

All in all, I have to say, that OTR is definitely a better fit for me, than the regional dedicated, with a lot of similar, and some very different challenges. I still have a lot to learn, and look forward to each day, and the challenges it will bring. Being able to drive through Downtown Boston, and the tunnel, was a great experience, and again, my experiences driving on Long Island, and in Jersey City, definitely prepared me. I have my phone mounted, so the camera sits above the dash, and i have it voice commanded to snap a picture when I say, "Say Cheese," and a series of 10 shots, when I say "Frito Lay." Here is one of those pictures.

0410412001526690853.jpg

Posted:  5 days, 21 hours ago

New trucker in training

The diabetic waiver can be a lengthy process. Congratulations on pushing through, and reaching your first milestone. I wish you many more to come. CFI is a good company.

Posted:  5 days, 22 hours ago

Whatever Happened to TractorMan?

There are a few people who just vanish. Rick(ipedia) comes to mind. Miss Miyoshi hasn't checked in, in awhile. There are many others.

Like Rainy said, Miss Myoshi is doing well. We chat from time to time.

Rick is doing well also, he has his hands full with other things, atm, but doing well.

Both are on my FB friends list

I miss a lot of people. But Tractor man always had good things to say.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Changes - Fond Memories of Swift

Thank you I've, Scott, and Susan.

Susan, I never realized how many companies have a Terminal in the Cedar Rapids area. It's nuts.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Not trucking related but still proud of myself - quit smoking

Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Just keep at it, and one day you will wake up, and realize that you have not wanted a smoke in over a week, then a month, and so on. Don't worry if an occasional desire hits you, it still happens to me, and most likely, anyone who has ever smoked, and quit. All I have to do, is walk by someone who does smoke, though, and that desire goes away with a quickness. And cheddar combos help, too.

My reason for quitting, was being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. In an ironic twist, it was the best thing that ever happened to me. It forced me to take better care of myself.

Posted:  1 week, 3 days ago

Changes - Fond Memories of Swift

Sometimes, things happen in our lives, that force us to step back, and consider things, and our options, to better place ourselves, to deal with those changes. This has recently happened to me, and my family. I will not get into details, but suffice it to say, I made a change. It happened at the end of my 4th month. The very first thing I did, was go to my Terminal Leader, and lay out my situation, and he graciously gave me the time, and even the routes, to get me home as often as possible during that time. Then things started changing at the DC, and in the chaos, it became harder to be home when needed, to deal with things. I DO NOT blame Swift at all, that is just the nature of the business, and stuff happens. Thankfully, my need to be home as often resolved itself, shortly after.

After talking with my wife, and really exploring my options, I contacted Billing, and a few other departments, just to make sure that they had done everything they could, within their power to help me resolve the few remaining issues. I am beyond grateful for everything that Swift did for me, and tried to do , to help me, but their hands were tied. I could not continue to drive for Swift, and deal with the financial side of things, as a result. But what I could do, was pay off the remainder of my loan, by cashing in on a few CD's that I had, that recently matured. So I paid off my loan to Swift, and started searching.

Meanwhile, I kept getting good routes, and enjoying my job, even though they knew my time there was eventually coming to an end. My last 2 weeks, I asked if I could do a "farewell tour" of all my favorite stores, and they hooked me up. Turning in my truck, was bittersweet. I literally gave it a "Hug" before I got into the car with my wife, and we drove out of the DC.

I know that this sight encourages everyone to stay with their first company at least a year, and I still agree with that. However, sometimes, as in my situation, after every stone was turned, and every option exhausted, In order for me to take care of my family, I had to make that switch in my 7th month with Swift. I took care of ALL of my financial obligations with Swift, and I have an open door to go back, if ever I want.

Swift is an Amazing company! I strongly recommend any prospective driver, to give them a close look, and consider starting, and possibly even finishing their career with them.

Now, I have just finished my first week with my new company,and I Know I have made the right decision. I will post more on that company in another thread. the company is DON HUMMER.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

Another Topic Just For Fun - What was your last load? How much did it weigh? How many miles?

Gatorade.... Just a little bit of weight.

0742391001525993310.jpg

Posted:  2 weeks ago

Let's put some faces to names

Finally took a picture I like of myself. I am not very photogenic. 0671439001525879026.jpg

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

I need honest opinons

Both are great companies.

However, Schneider was willing to pay for your classes, so you could drive for them. Yes, you could go to Melton, and drive for them, and pay Schneider back, but how would you feel, if you were a business owner, who footed the bill for training a future employee, only to have them go somewhere else.

Unholy Chaos is a Schneider driver. He may chime in.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Question about Swift Dedicated

Swift is mostly automatic now, and continuing to transition to all automatics. As far as weighing your loads, anytime I am over 36k in the box, I weigh, just to make sure my load is balanced. 2 of my last 3 loads put me over gross, one had 40,368 lbs in the box, which put me 2,800 lbs over weight. the other was only 40,144, and I was 800 lbs over gross. The first trailer was a 31 series, with skirts, and a Carrier Unit. The other was a 34 series, no skirts, and a Thermo King unit. But, generally speaking, if the load is 35k or under, there is usually no need to weigh it, unless you just want to balance the weights, for practice, and a generally smoother ride.

Posted:  3 weeks, 5 days ago

Let's put some faces to names

Freshly shaved

0149069001524838551.jpg

Posted:  1 month ago

I Did It!

Congratulations!!!

Now the real learning begins.

dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif