Comments By Errol V.

• Errol V.
  • Comments:

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Done with Schneider after 3 months

Mikey brings this up:

Oreos

You are just using this as a dog-whistle to show you've been on this forum for several (5) years. Shame on the mess!

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Done with Schneider after 3 months

Bird-One notes:

... the dealer can’t find a food sensor.

Do trucks have those? Dang! No one has told me about that!

rofl-3.gif

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Unusual load to a hotel coming up, no dock, small parking lot?

Sid is right. If you have a hot load and an unloading crew at the destination, call the hotel contact the day before to discuss. If you haven't checked out the hotel on Google maps satellite view, that could "explain everything". If the hotel needs the goodies, they will make it happen.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Non-employee failed non-DOT hair test at company sponsored CDL training

TechnoMattic asks:

I failed the non-DOT hair test while going to company sponsored CDL school.
...
Anyway, will this still go on my DAC and screw me even though I wasn't an employee?

Any company can hire, or not hire any individual depending on company prerequisites. Some things are controlled by law (minimum age, drug traces in your body, for example), some are policy related like a record of alcohol use or driving tickets. If a company wants to use an Ouija Board as a predictor of your driving, they can do that. Mostly, though, your company will use a hair drug test in their decision

Also, just like Trans Union credit reporting, the DAC (Drive-a-Check) is a non-government data exchange.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

CFI

KID has an LOL moment:

They want me to do a test on all the pretrip on my first week, I told them I'm no mechanic I'm trying to be a driver lol.

#1: True, you're not a mechanic. A pre-trip involves looking at things. If you look at something and it doesn't look right, you get it to a mechanic and let them decide what to do.

#2: It's the first part of your CDL test. If you can't do a pre-trip, how can you be a driver?? If you fail your pre-trip, your CDL test is over. Come back when you can do your pre-trip.

#3: The things you inspect in your pre-trip are all safety related. Do you want to drive an unsafe truck? Really?

#4: The items in your pre-trip are required by FMCSA regulations. Wanna buck the regulations? How long do you want your trucking career to last?

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

How do you feel

It's true, like Big Scott says, "Another day at the office". But #1, it's not all that physically exhausting. Appointments & schedules might get to you. #2, the view out the window can be amazing. It can also be disgusting when you have to drive through the seedier parts of a city.

But starting the day and looking forward to watching the scenery go by is wonderful.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

The High Road Online CDL Training

Oh yeah, I forgot. Does the course cover airbreaks, and combinations too? I have to take 3 seperate tests right, or is it included in the permit? Thanks.

Old School has it right. But just so you'll know what to expect, the General Knowledge test is 50 questions, covering all the "permit" questions except Air Brake and Combination Vehicles. Those are their own tasts (20 q. each). Three tests.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Going back home to pick my girlfriend up and bring her on the road with me

Heads up, Zach. You didn't mention this, so I'll assume you didn't know: unless you have gotten permission from Swift (still with Swift?) you will soon be out of a job. If you "sneak" her on board, many shippers and receivers won't allow unauthorized people on their property.

If you're paying the insurance fee for a ride along, enjoy the trip!

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

really want to do this but i'm scared

Tammy if you're nervous, join the club. Sure people get cold feet, and some find out later that trucking isn't for them. That's true.

You'll have friends here and do feel free to write out your fears. This web site is called Trucking Truth for a reason - you'll get the "straight dope"®. We'll help get things straightened out.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Has anybody ever been on a Kraft account?

Not Kraft, but I bet everything else is very similar:

Driving GP dedicated

I live in Memphis. The area I covered & got home every Friday was US southeast: Texas/Oklahoma to North Carolina/Florida.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Starting school/career without CPAP report?

I have used Sleepyhead to print reports that satisfy DOT doctors. But S-H's author abandoned support several years ago. AFAIK, the program will still work. Here's a link you can follow to get your own reports from your machine:

Alternatives to Sleepyhead

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

What drivers want most

Dave, I appreciate that you are interested in getting more trucks on the road, moving America's stuff. We do need more trucks moving and drivers to drive them.

But know this: trucking is regulated for safety, but the financing is up to you. You haven't let on as to your logistic experience. In that respect trucking is a dog eat dog business. Expect 3-5% ROI. That's about T-bills, but with the headaches of running a capital intensive business.

It's true the competition for drivers almost matches the competition for freight. Ask a driver what they want? More home time, better CPM, a fridge, microwave and satellite TV + WiFi on board. A new truck every two years. Ability to idle all night for comfort (A/C and heat). You know, things that cost the owner money.

Best of luck.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Reckless Driving ticket and becoming a trucker

Ben, companies hire on a case by case basis. The worst that can happen is you'll get a "no" answer. But it only takes one "yes" to hire you.

Don't waste your time getting a DIY CDL, the 160 hour course is a requirement.

Looking into Paid CDL Training Programs is the best way. You are all but hired if a company offers to train you.

Your first step is getting the CDL permit - a written test. Start here: High Road CDL Training Program. Further reading:

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

End of CFI Training

MrZ is MrNervous:

My only apprehension is my backing. I still struggle with backing and is turning me into a nervous wreck. My trainer at CFI has been great and patient with me, and he says that with more experience my backing will improve.

This is true in both parts: nervous about backing, and as you to it more, it will be easier.

The good news is you can steer and pull up as often as you please. Get Out And Look as many times as you need to. Don't worry about the CB chatter you imagine as you try to back in at a truck parking spot. #1 The chatter doesn't really exist and #2 all those drivers around you were newbies once themselves.

The bad news is those aren't cones anymore - that's a company Cascadia on the left and an O/O in his Pete watching you on the right. It's ok to be afraid, GOAL because your career depends on it. I figure it took me 18 months before I was comfortable with an alley dock.

Welcome to the world of OTR trucking life.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Weighing at scale and sliding tandems

A little story to help you figure which way to move the tandems:

If the drive wheels are too heavy, the tandems say "I'll move in and help you."

If the tandems are to heavy, they say "this is too much weight. I'm outta here."

It sounds dorky, but if it helps you to figure your balance, use it.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

No Fuel For You

Some companies require you to fuel at a particular station on your route. Wrong location - even the same brand, no fuel.

If his own card was being declined, well we've all seen that before. If his company fuel card is outright being declined, he needs to get to the nearest terminal (LOL) and find a ride home.

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

How to get fired - 10 career destroying habits

This video popped up in my YouTube feed today. It's a good list of things we talk about here. Protect your career.

(Spoiler Alert: the first one is about using alcohol/ drugs Don't roll your eyes and click off, the other 9 points are really things people do that will - not can, but will - trash your driving career.)

Top 10 Habits That will Destroy Your Trucking Career

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Another example of U-turn gone wrong.

Delco Dave asks:

Question for you all! I understand true U turns are not permitted. Is a 3 point turn considered a U turn or is that an acceptable procedure to get out of a jam and turn truck around?

What do you consider a 3 point turn? Do you mean one of these? 0529670001624736341.jpg

Only if you can make it outside of a 23+ foot circle near your GOAL. rofl-1.gif

For a semi, that would mean you need to back up on a roadway, sort of like making a 90 alley dock in the middle of a street. This is very much frowned upon, so much so that you might get in more trouble with that backing up than you would with the U-turn. 0719651001624737172.jpg

Posted:  6 months, 3 weeks ago

Just a quick hello and thank you

BoshJennett asks

if anyone has some up to date info on SWIFT and the GP account in the southeastern region, please feel free to share

I did exactly that. GP includes everything from OK/TX to FL/(southern) VA.

There is a trade off to get home every Friday. You don't get some things OTR gets, like detention (I have sat 24 hours waiting on a load) and the safety bonus. (As of three years ago. I don't know why updates.)

Take a look: A Week In The Life Of ... ErrolV Driving GP Dedicated