Comments By Errol V.

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0582187001576954838-5067.jpg avatar
  • Errol V.
  • Comments:

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Frustrated with CDL permit testing

I taught a permit class at Swift for a while. Here are some pointers:

• The air compressor on really is tricky. But to governor simply turns the pumping action on and off.
  • Busses do have an extra air tank simply to allow them to move after the compressor goes out.
  • Alcohol in the air brake system is an anti-freeze for the air supply.
  • The only time "45" shows up in the entire test system is the answer to the question "... the site pressure should build from 85 to 100 psi within ___ seconds."
  • Remember, if you see not in a question you need to find the incorrect answer.
  • Some answer sets are correct for other questions! Be sure the answer his for the question you are looking at.

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

Western Express Questions

Hi, John. I assume you have your CDL already. We have some WE veterans here. I just want to say they must online company "reviews" are posted by the people who lost their job either through their misunderstanding it their own wrong preconceptions.

Here is a place to look:

Posted:  1 week, 2 days ago

What type of bag/luggage should I bring for training?

PackRat points out:

Just remember most anything you bring needs to fit on the bunk with you.

I would recommend a small suitcase and a military duffel bag.

Yes, your life for a few weeks needs to be very compact. But here's some news: the sleeper bunks are extra long! The official bedsheet size is Twin XL. BTW, I also had a small bag I kept on the floor, out of the way. No problem there.

I'm 6'1" tall. I kept my duffle at the foot end and still had plenty of room to stretch out at bedtime. Also, if you plan to use bedsheets when you're on your own, look for TXL size.

Posted:  1 week, 4 days ago

California Pay for Swift (might switch companies)

You are worrying about the wrong things Sparky. So the state says workers need to be paid minimum wage, but they can make more. You are looking at the "bottom" instead of trying to go to the top.

Long ago I drove for a company called SuperShuttle, hauling travelers to and from airports in Los Angeles. (Waaaay before Uber came along.) When I hired on, the company promised I was guaranteed minimum wage. Well, I never had to worry about minimum wage while I worked there (two years). We were even paid a flat rate per destination (heard of that before?). Including waiting (not paid) for hours for our next dispatch.

Now you've already performed a magic trick to make your own CPM raise disappear. First you say they pull two cents from your miles rate then pay you an hourly filler. Then you say the two cents raise will go to pay that hourly piece. No, when you get a two cent raise you'll get a two cent raise. Maybe payroll had to make that play with the hourly rates, but you will get more in a paycheck.

Rather than assume stuff on your own, how about a call to Swift Payroll or HR to clear things up. I drove for Swift for three years and put in my time on hold calling various Swift offices. But every person in Phoenix I spoke with had the patience to answer my questions.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Choosing between two local companies

Anne, when you start a new comment, there's a blue button above your box that says "link". You fill in two boxes - the link and a human readable title.

Oh, I forgot the secret sauce:

If the link setup days that's not a URL, just fill the form out with www.google.com

Push the Submit button. Then simply replace the Google.com with the URL you want.

{a href="www.google.com"} Sample{/a}

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Choosing between two local companies

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Trucking School vs Getting CDL on your own

Vern hesitates:

But my concern also is I was told even going to one of the company CDL training you still may not have a job when you come out.

This is true. But you may have heard this from someone who failed out or something. If you are accepted to a company sponsored training program, you are all but hired already. The job is yours to lose, so don't lose it.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Trucking School vs Getting CDL on your own

Yes, you could get a CDL on your own, but the standard requirement for nearly all companies (large or small) is the new drivers must complete 160 hours of school. If you don't get a school certificate, no recruiter will even return your calls.

Taking only the short Pre-Trip class is like learning how to use a scalpel and expect to get a job as a surgeon.

Posted:  1 week, 5 days ago

Drivers getting worse?

Hi, Clare. I've been driving trucks for about six years, cars for over forty. That means I am familiar with the "before phones" time. When I'm driving both 4-wheeler and 18-wheeler vehicles I do keep an eye on other drivers, both to keep my vehicle safe, and theirs, too.

Yes, cell phones have made a huge difference in people's lives. They do create more distraction. (Myth Busters proved "serious" phone conversations while driving is the same as drunk driving.) But overall, the ratio between "good" drivers and "jerk" drivers both in trucks and cars has stayed about the same. Bottom line, no worries.

Be careful when you want to use "all". "No one signals to change lanes, people are constantly [doing other things]" is painting with a broad brush. Back in the day, eyebrows were raised when people saw other drivers doing makeup, shaving using the rear view mirror or reading a newspaper while driving. But not "everybody" did that.

As you begin your driving career, you will learn the importance of driving safety and driving safely. I did my own research using government statistics and found that actually, CDL drivers are more safe than 4-wheel drivers. Truckers drive millions of miles more than you do in daily 45 minute Buick commutes. The raw numbers of accidents may be larger, but the percentage is in favor of truckers. You can be one of these safe drivers if you keep the things you learn in CDL school in mind through your trucking career.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

5th wheel position and backing

Mikey suggests:

Most people run it a couple holes back as 2 back seems to be the most aerodynamic putting less space between the tractor and trailer thereby reducing wind drag.

Yes, but ....

When students are taking their CDL exam, they must state that there needs to be sufficient clearance between the landing gear and the back of the tractor so sharp turns can be made.

Moving the fifth wheel too far forward for that aerodynamic saving may cause damage between the landing gear and the mud flap bar in a sharp turn maneuver. After they get their CDL, they can do whatever they want.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

A Few More Loose Ends

I tried tweeting Jeremy Peregrine, and his sister. They never got back to me.

Posted:  1 week, 6 days ago

A Few More Loose Ends

O.S. had the right ideas.

Where you entity to drive can be up to you - it never hurts to ask. You street told "work with dispatch", do start there. In the military occasionally we with for looking a "wish list" of what we would like to be staying. If was called a wifi list because it was Jeremy peregrine's and sister rarely get fulfilled.

For laundry I simply use a pillow case. Any kind of tabs for laundry soap put posts, as liquidate and prayers could slip.

Just let in high schools, yeah a gym bag with her stuff in it. Keep a towel & wish rag of your own for your terminal facilities. Truck stops will photos with laundry and very clean sister. Laundry is laundromat offices, the showers actually did but you'll get free shirts credit when you do up with diesel.

/\ /\ /\ Raw swipe keyboarding /\ /\ /\
No, I'm not on drugs.
\/ \/ \/ After I correct it, my actual thoughts \/ \/ \/

O.S. has the right ideas.

Where you want to drive can be up to you - it never hurts to ask. You were told "work with dispatch", so start there. In the military occasionally we would fill out a "wish list" of where we would like to be stationed. It was called a wish list because it was simply our preferences and wishes rarely get fulfilled.

For laundry I simply use a pillow case. Any kind of tabs for laundry soap will work, as liquida and pods could spil.

Just like in high school, keep a gym bag with yer stuff in it. Keep a towel & washcloth of your own for your terminal facilities. Truck stops will oblige with laundry and very clean showers. Laundry is laundromat prices, the showers actually cost but you'll get free shower credit when you fill up with diesel.

(I've always wanted to just "swipe out" a passage without first correcting it. Pretty funny! - but stay away from my sister anyway!)

Posted:  2 weeks ago

From the front of the classroom: CDL Class From the Teacher's POV

Second day, more slide lecture. The difference is that today we talk about the truck, its parts, introduce air brakes and vehicle control.

Remember your science class in high school? The physics of moving objects? No? Well memory jogger time! A truck is a moving object, and behaves the same as your wood blocks did in school. You know: skids, turns & the danger of rolling over, braking, gravity and mountain grades, and so on. Only now the blocks weigh 80,000 pounds. (good news: no math required.)

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Covid 19 Vaccine Unavailabe to Drivers

I received the first dose of my Bill Gates microchip today at Prime. Looking forward to full genetic mutation and joining the ranks of the bionic.

No serious side effects yet, other than this pesky nostalgia for Microsoft products. Did I mention Windows 95 is the greatest operating system of all time?

Subtle sarcasm at its finest. Thank you, Eugene!

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

Someone Called The Police On Us

0796305001617117189.jpg Well, there's some Mammy's you don't mess with.

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

The Driver Toolbox - So To Speak

From experience, Optical, you'll get suggestions for everything from ball-peen hammers (my favorite) to WD-40 to steel wool.

The ball-peen hammer is useful for clearing ice from your steps, to checking tire pressure, to being the third hand for getting you out of a high-hook with the trailer.

Good luck!

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

From the front of the classroom: CDL Class From the Teacher's POV

One student told me he was born in the DRC (I correctly decoded that to "Democratic Republic of Congo".) When he was two years old, his family left the Congo and moved to a refugee camp in Rwanda. He lived there for twenty years before coming to the USA two years ago.

I asked, "What did you do in the refugee camp for twenty years? It must have been nothing but waiting!"

He answered and said yes, his family had no job, and food was supplied by relief agencies. But he did get a Bachelors degree! (I forgot in what, but, hey! A bachelors degree in refugee camp!)

Posted:  2 weeks, 1 day ago

From the front of the classroom: CDL Class From the Teacher's POV

The first day of class.

I had started with eight names. By Monday morning the official registration was down to six, and one of them didn’t show up. So ... five students for the class. My class is limited to eight students – four on Monday/Tuesday class and four in Thursday/Friday classes. They all had chosen Monday because of their work schedules. But one had to move to Thu/Fri. I got one to move (consider one student all day - the good and the bad).

There is always paperwork at the beginning of class. Everyone has to get out their driver license, medical certificate and the payment voucher. Then the Rules (most are common sense things: proper shoes, work style clothing, no smoking, etc.). Then the boring part starts: The more or less legal stuff about how to get a CDL, medical exams, drug tests and so on. We do touch on some good driving information towards the end of class – “Visual Search”, “Communicating”, things like that.

Many of my students work a graveyard shift, so I saw several eyes glaze and slowly close. But my presentation was about stuff they are supposed to know, but there’s never a test, so I mostly just kept presenting. Later, when we are on the truck, they won’t be sleeping.

Lastly, a quick introduction to Hours of Service. I have them fill out paper logs, mainly to get an understanding of the four levels of status (Off Duty, Sleeper, Driving, and On Duty (Not Driving), and how these all fit together.

That’s it!

Posted:  2 weeks, 2 days ago

Opponents voice concerns about Amazon's Driveri surveillance system

Delco Dave says:

The crazy part about the whole camera thing is Amazon delivery van drivers don't even work directly for Amazon so it is most definitely an invasion of privacy and a control tactic

I taught upgrade classes to Amazon last mile drivers (all working for those contractors) through last fall. Drivers were upgrading to the new UPS sized delivery vans. They is no driver cam. So what's the "invasion of privacy" or "control tactic"?