Profile For David W.

9 years, 1 month ago

David W.'s Bio

Driver for Pepsi in Alaska

David W.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Trailer airline securement

It’s completely legal. Holds-it 22 inch bungees are the best quality but you can also get the cheap ones from lowes or Home Depot. You can never have too many bungee cords or wire ties

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

New Graduate!

You could always just move up here to Alaska and get a job right out of trucking school.

Posted:  2 months ago

Is it better to become a diesel mechanic or trucker these days?

If you’re good get into it. There has been a sharp decline in quality of mechanics at least in Alaska.

Posted:  2 months ago

Driving Mountain Grades with an auto trans

If the weather is good it really doesn’t matter if it’s a auto or manual. If it’s bad weather and you don’t have manual mode, you just have to know at what rpm does the trans shift up, and keep it below that till you can shift and gain speed

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Problems in lower gears (10 speed)

Every newbie I’ve ever ridden with was under reving. Wind it up till 18-20 rpms and then shift and you’ll always catch the next gear.

Avoid relying on floating gears. Focus on doing it the right way. Floating gears was an automatic failure when I was tested. David W hit on my weakness, under- revving. Over rev and catch it on the way down, that’s how I got through it.

Then I was assigned an auto mated unit and so will you be in all probability.

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Problems in lower gears (10 speed)

You’re probably it letting the tack drop enough and rushing. My biggest advice to shifting is you can always over rev up a truck and catch it when it falls, but if you under rev you’re setting you self up to lose gears

Posted:  2 months, 3 weeks ago

Gaming in a truck

You can sync a ps4 controller to a pc

Keep in mind some PC games allow use of a controller. i have an xbox elite 2 controller I use via Bluetooth on PC. Something to keep in mind as well.

Once I'm past the driving with a trainer I'll probably feel out if I have room/time for gaming. I don't think I'll have time with the goals I'll have for working out while driving as well.

I'll still probably carry my gaming laptop and the controller just in case I get some super crazy delay or stuck somewhere.

I don't drive yet, just so you know. Just arrived in town to start CDL school and finish mid June so mine is the opinion of someone not driving yet.

Hey I was just curious if any of you are gamers and if so what kind of set up do you play on in the truck. I grew up on Xbox but for the past few years I’ve played on a PC. But PC gaming feels like it would be too bulky to do in a truck comfortably, I may go back to my roots and get and Xbox to take with me.

Posted:  3 months ago

Avoiding crowed truck stops

I usually have perspective stops and back up plans made in the morning before I start. I'll start looking for spots 2 hours before my stop time unless I know for sure I'll likely have a good range of space.

Name of the game right here. On my fleet I rarely park at a truck stop overnight. I’m usually heading straight to the receiver and spending the night there (lots of Lowes and Home Depot) but if I’m on a long trip this is exactly what I have always done.

Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it. As long as you’re making an effort to improve on your skill when you get the chance why put yourself at extra risk when parking overnight? My first year I parked almost exclusively at TA/Petro because of the huge lots and avoided most Loves and PFJ like the plague. Now I avoid the TA’s because I think most of them are trashy ( especially the one in Wheatridge, CO…disgusting). Actually let’s talk about that dump in Wheatridge for a sec lol. I literally NEVER park there because even though I can technically get into a spot it’s always such a nightmare there with trucks parking everywhere it’s not worth it. I’ll find literally almost anywhere else to park. Thankfully we have a yard in Denver so I’ll usually park there if I’m in Denver.

So I guess I still avoid those situations that would be unnecessarily risky but I know even that first year when I was still getting comfortable backing I’d make sure I backed into a spot instead of pulling through for my 30 during the day. I think there’s a balance between stretching yourself while still protecting your cdl and it sounds like you’re doing a great job

That TA is nasty. Ive parked there once. We have a terminal in Denver too so I usually don't have to. Slept at the Coors plant in golden plenty as they can have issues with getting a trailer at a legal weight.

Funny thing is that yesterday I ended up running my clock down to two minutes but found parking in an old hole in the wall truck stop. All the brand names were full, coming out of Florida. Saw one spot left at a FJ, a guy cut in for it and an argument ensued between him and one of the guys parked next to it. I'm guessing that he hit. There was a doubles parked in the isle that made it almost impossible to get in. So bad that even the weigh stations were full lol. I practiced a couple backs at a pilot that was small earlier in the day and both my drop and empty were very tight backs, both kinda weird 90s so I feel ok about it.

Just keep yourself humble and don’t ever feel like you’re too seasoned to get out and look

Posted:  4 months, 3 weeks ago

Let's hear it - what do you guys think about the Canadian Truckers?

It’s their right to protest if they feel like it’s come to that.

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Fitness Gear and Supplements While OTR

It’s 20 a month for the black card. That’s the one you want if you want to use it at more than one gym. If you get the 10 dollar one you can only use one club

I'll probably get one there just cause it's $10, carry some stuff with me and if there's a real gym close I'll buy a day pass if I want a really good workout and have the time.

I know it’s frowned upon by lifters. But if I was otr I’d just get the black card membership at planet fitness, cause even a crappy gym is better than nothing, plus it’s cheap and you can take a shower there too

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Glad hand problem

Spit works to get that extra seal. Spit on the o rings and the rub it around with your fingers

I am unable to connect my trailer air line because I can’t get the connection to work. Tried for almost an hour and finally gave up until tomorrow. Tried grease but I cannot get a connection. Every time I try the seal alignment goes south. Any solutions?

Posted:  5 months, 2 weeks ago

Fitness Gear and Supplements While OTR

Posted:  6 months ago

Alaska CDL

It’s cause he might lose his pfd if he surrendered his Alaska residency

I really don't want to give up my Alaska residency.

I believe it's possible to maintain residency in more than one state, just that you can't have more than one driver's license. I think a tax accountant would be who you talk to to get more info on how that works; usually it's to be avoided because you can end up paying two states' income tax, but if I remember right Alaska doesn't have any.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Running Doubles

I’d add extra glad hand gaskets and 22 inch bungee cords to the list, and some deep creep spray to help stubborn pintles. Also spray fill a spray bottle with some diesel and spray it on the converter dollies fifth wheel jaws once in a while

For anyone considering running doubles; working for a company requiring the driver to perform the setup build and breakdown, there are several tools I consider essential.

Waterproof steel tip boots with an aggressive tread, a high quality, hi-vis rain jacket. Each setup and subsequent inspection requires about 30-35 minutes. One tiny misalignment or problem (like replacing a gladhand gasket) will add time. Thus you are out in the weather working around heavy trucks, trailers and associated components. I invested in these boots before I left Walmart. They haven’t let me down. NortiV8 is the brand.

0238838001640187575.jpg

0149718001640200782.jpg

A good flashlight that can withstand being dropped from time to time. I use this more than any other tool. I use it to mark the ground, illuminate my target spot when backing up to the dolly. Many uses. It has a holster making it easy to find and carry along. I always have spare batteries and two of these lights.

0881638001640187672.jpg

0596924001640187743.jpg

A miners light... hands free brightness, goes without saying. Many times I need both hands in pitch blackness when setting up.

0318657001640199889.jpg

0811644001640200680.jpg

Long cable ties. I use these in place of bungee cords to secure electrical cables and air hoses to the dolly.

0744367001640200994.jpg

My favorite gloves... Harbor Freight! I swear by this brand.

0933772001640201531.jpg

My mini sledge hammer required for coaxing stubborn pintle hook locks into place. It comes in handy for other problems in need of directed force. Such as tight door latches, sticking air valves, rail gates that are misaligned...etc.

0837548001640201864.jpg

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Running Doubles

Yeah snow can make it difficult. But it’s all about being cognizant of where your going to hook up. Try and avoid hooking up on an incline if possible or if it isn’t avoidable, carry some pea gravel, or put a single chain on one drive tire.

I definitely like how they turn, you can make most turns without swinging very wide.

Do not like wind that rear trailer will sometimes off track a quarter of a lane no matter what you do. Also hooking a set in snow sucks, the dolly tends to have a mind of its own and does not want to corporate. I started keeping a small shovel with me so I can clear a path which helps a bunch.

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Running Doubles

I wasn’t doing it right the first two comments. I’ve been hauling doubles for 12 years. 0983561001640189161.jpg

0365983001640189245.jpg

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Running Doubles

Posted:  6 months, 1 week ago

Running Doubles

Posted:  7 months, 1 week ago

Why do drivers stay OTR over LTL?

A lot of LTL require you to put in time to get the good equipment and good routes. It took me 13 years to get on a route that doesn’t require a hand cart.

Posted:  8 months, 2 weeks ago

Spare Parts And Tools You Should Carry In Your Truck

I’m line haul and home every night. I like having a good flashlight, hammer, vice grips, tape, and extra light cord and airlines, adjustable wrenches, and a multi tool, also a small socket set. Those usually keep me able to fix anything enough to limp it home.