Comments By BuckeyeCowboy

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

So, today was the big day. I started school. It was so much fun and so much different than the previous school I got to go to. We did an open book test out of what the trainer calls the trucking bible, the FMCSR monthly rule book and got 100%. We did that at the other school too, but this one let us keep it. I was so prepared for the Airbrakes and General Knowledge portions by studying the High Road Series. We are learning Hazmat and Airbrakes tomorrow. So, getting ready to study Hazmat.

A Maverick recuriter came in today. They are an amazing company. I like what they stand for, and I think it would be interesting to haul glass, but unless anything changes, I have my mind made up for who I want to go with. I am waiting to meet with them on Wednesday.

It amazes me how many people were late to class today. We had a few that were a few minutes late, but one showed up at 12:30. It was just like wow. I like that the school helps you get all your endorsements, though the company I am leaning towards doesn't require any of them, but makes me more marketable, and the more you know the better you will be at your job. Well, gotta get to looking at Hazmat. Thanks for reading, have a great night and God bless.

For those considereing driving for PAM as a new driver (going thru Driver Solutions)

Daniel, Not a bad move at all. I think that you are making the right decision to team drive, at least for the first year. It will also give you someone to talk to so when you are on those lonely stretches of interstate, especially 71 and 75 (being from Ohio I would presume you know what I am talking about), will make the experience more enjoyable. I was going to team up with a friend of mine before they dropped me. Just make sure that you find someone that you can stand to be with, because you will be with them all the time, except home time of course. Also, keep in mind that if you can't find someone within 50 miles, PAM has been going up to 100 miles. So, that is an option as well. Are they sending you to Indianapolis? If they are, that is where I was and I have a lot of info that I can provide and what to expect, if you should decide to go with DS.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Thanks for the info and the congrats.

I am studying the Highroad Series right now and I must say that it is truly remarkable. The way you ask the review questions helps me actually remember and learn the info, not just memorize it and forget it once I take the test. Thanks for putting all this together.

No problem. There is a lot of stuff written about them on the truckersreport but I suspect most of it is lies or just guys who hate life or cant get the miles they want that have nothing better to do than run down the companies on there. I was supposed to go to PAM whenI was in school with DS but PAM dropped me from what I was told was my diabetes. I have heard through the school that they are real strict on medical issues. But in all the limited time I dealt with them I had no issues with them. I found that they have a lot of drivers that have been with them for a while. Like I said before, coming from frie ds that work there, hard to get miles as a solo driver, but I suspect tha once you prove yourself that will pick up.

Sorry for not being more specific. After being on the road with a trainer they had to pair up. In fact they has them list people in the class or someone they know that drives for PAM that they would be okay teaming with. Hope that helps.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Sorry it has been a while since my last post. As fas as hometime goes, my wife will be with me so I am willing to stay out as much as I can to make money. I mean your not making money if the wheels aren't turning. As far as regions of the country I want to run all 48 states. I would be okay with Canada (I am working on getting a passport for my wife and I) and I would even run to Alaska if they would let me. I want to see the west. I have never been west of Kansas City, Missouri, and never have been in the Northeast so those are the two areas I am really looking forward to venturing too. This is why I am leaning towards the refridgerated companies. I have read somewhere, and may have been here, that refers usually have the longest runs because usually you are hauling fruit out of California and are bringing it back east. My top five companies right now are: Shaffer, Centeral Refridgerated, TMC, Werner, and Swift. Oh, and Maverick Temp Controlled.

More good news. I nailed my physical. I can see and here. My doctor told me that my blood pressure was amazing for someone with diabetes. I got my DOT card, so I am super excited. I start school on Monday. One thing that I love is that the school wants you to get all your endorsements up front so you can have them when you get out on the road. This just makes me more marketable as a driver. Not sure if I will ever haul doubles and triples, but will be nice to have that endorsement just in case I ever need it. I am also looking forward to meeting all the company recuriters and learning about the companies that are out there.

One question that I did have is do I need to worry about getting my TWIC card right away if I am hauling refers? I know that it is all but a requirement for flatbeds, but not sure about refers. Thanks for any info that you can provide on that.

I went through C1 out of Indianapolis my first time. Didn't pass the school there as I need a bit more practice, but I do talk to a lot of my friends that went there and they are with PAM and they were all required to team up right out of training. Also have been told that you get the better miles as a team driver as opposed to being a solo driver. Not judging the company, just relaying info I have heard from drivers.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Brett,

I finished that series last night and it was so insightful. I really appreicate the great read. As far as the companies on my list. They are in no particular order and there are 11. Maybe less if I cant reach anyone at a few companies. The companies are:

Crete/Shaffer (leaning towards Shaffer), TMC, Maverick, Boyd Brothers, Central Refridgerated, Celadon, Grand Island Express, Navajo Express, Melton, Swift, Werner

I believe this is a great list and there are a lot of great companies on here. I am going to wait till the recruiters of some of these show up at my school so I can talk to them face to face. Also, I am still looking for companies that are hiring.

In other news, it keeps getting better. I now have a part time job. My wife and I are going to be teaming up and cleaning offices in the evening (after my school day is over with) for 4 hours a night, 5 days a week. It is not a lot of money, but it will be enough to sustain us while I am in school. So, I am excited about that. I have my physical next Friday so I am just working on that too. Thanks for reading. God bless America and God bless the American Truck Driver.

UPDATE FOR OHIO-trucking companies that offer free, or nearly free, truck driving schools and CDL training

Joe,

I am in Cincinanati and I am attending Napier Truck Driver Training, that is a private instiution. There is one here in Cincinnati, if the local thing doesn't work out, the company is called Millis Transfer. They were my backup option if my funding fell through for the private school. They have a nice program, but if that is something that might interest you check it out.

In reference to the local thing, if you want to be home every night, a buddy of mine use to drive for Pepsi before he went into their shop, but he said you can drive for them, they will train you, and you don't even need a cdl. I was going to do that, but they are not hiring in the Cincinnati area. I don't remember if they are hiring in your neck of the woods, but that is an awesome job, at least from what my friend tells me. Good luck in your search.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Hey Brett,

Great minds think a like again. LOL. I have been doing that already. I am not the kind of person that is good at waiting. LOL. So, I have been calling them and getting all the pre-hires that I can.

On a side note. Great news....the funding for my school went through. I offically start school on June 17th. I am so excited for this opportunity. I am narrowing my choices more and more everyday. Can I mention names here and see what people think? I don't have a truck stop near me to go and ask drivers. I live near a big city.

Also, tomorrow I have a job interview at a local gas station so I can have money coming in while I am in school. I would work full time till then, then go to part time. Hope that all goes well, that or my unemployment goes through. Hope all is well thanks for the wonderful advice, it helps a lot and means a lot. Take care. God bless.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

The WIA program is what I am doing. Lol. Great minds think alike. That worries me about not needing another physical. Still researching and putting in apps. I think I am close to 30. I am preparing info to share with my wife so she can give me her opinion. I know in the end it is my decision but her input is very valuable to me. Thanks for the help.

Preparing for CDL tests on my own, please advise.....

From what I understand from talking with Celadon their school is free. Never have to pay anything back as long as you drive foer them for a bit of time. Not sure of length. Had a bunch of friends try C1 in Indianapolis, but have schools in other areas. They mainly train you for PAM or USA Truck.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Today was a good day. I think I may have found the company that I am leaning going to, if everything stays as planned. I just got to figure out if I want to run refers or dry vans, but everything is looking promising. I have applied to so many companies, some will commit to a pre-hire letter, some will not and I get that. All the recruiters have been really great, but that is their job too. I have learned so much about the industry and how things vary so much from company to company. It is hard to compare them if you just look at pay, benefits, hometime, etc, but still reading your series Brett. I met with the person trying to help get me funding, she is putting the application through and I should know something Monday. I have a job interview on Tuesday. Since I am unemployed and have bills, and don't start training till the 17th of June, I figure I can work full time till school starts, then weekends once in school, and maybe after school that way I can at least make sure my lights stay on. Also, still working on my diet for the physcial. I did want to ask anyone out there, I got my dot physical in April 2013. I was given a one year card. I have to take another one for school, and then another one for the company. I get they are testing for drugs and I have no problem taking a drug test all the time, but why so many physicals? What is the logic behind it? Thanks for your time.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Brett, I just started reading that series last night. I was half a sleep so I am going to restart them. I get what you are saying, I am just excited. So, update time. I have 16 companies on my list and prehires from six of them so far. Three others will bring me to orientation, they just won't do the prehire letter, unless I really need one. Which, with the ones that I have I am fine. I would list the companies, but not sure what the rules are. My biggest criteria is pay per mile, combine that with what you get for like tarp pay and bonuses and insurance and when it starts, deductibles etc. So, we will keep doing research and see what we can find out. I am almost finished with the research, I am going to start in on state tests for the General Knowledge, Air Brakes, Combination Vehicles, and all the endorsements. I want to go in there knowing it so I can feel confident when it comes time to test. I always get so nervous for tests, but if I go in knowing what I can, and I am sure I know the first few answers, I start to calm down and do well. Thanks for all the advice, I will keep the posts coming.

Rider Program

Brett that makes sense. I added one more company to my list and call and left a message for a recruiter. I have 7 pre hires so far. Three more companies will bring me in for orientation, but they don't do prehires.

Guy, thanks for the info. I am not that familiar with the Petes and Cats, other than to know that they look good, and as one person told me a Pete with a Caterpillar use to be the Harley Davidson of the trucking world. I am partial to Kenworths myself, but I am willing to drive anything.

Rider Program

Daniel, thanks for the information, I am wanting to take her before the 30 days though. Example, get out of training, most companies will send you homebound to get stuff for your truck and see the family. I want to bring her on with me then. So, I think with most companies there is just the liability factor, they want to make sure you can drive first.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Brett, I agree. I think it is a great thing that companies are doing that. I think some familarity while trying to learn something new and all that stress is nice. However, I get the companies not wanting to do it for saftey reasons as well. I mean you are learning a lot and is just so much knowledge to gain. It is like someone told me, "If you ain't learning something new in a truck everyday, you shouldn't be in a truck."

Anyways, I am to nine prehires, and I have 15 companies on my list that I am comparing and researching. Some are better than others, some have a bad repuation. I also think it is important to look at vans, refers and flatbeds so you just don't limit yourself to one area. If you do that you might miss out on a wonderful opportunity with a smaller company. For instance I found one company that I overlooked for a bit until I did some checking and they pay .38 a mile to start, they are flatbeds, and the coolest part is their orientation is 20 mins from my house, so the recuriter said it should be no big deal if I just drive everyday. Now, I have to wait 30 days to take my wife, but this company's schooling is here next to my house, and while in training they have promised me I would be home every other weekend. I would go home one weekend and trainer would be in hotel, then next week I would be in hotel and he would be home. A very fair trade off. Also, they have a chaplain on call or standby in case you need it. Being a christian, I believe that is a wonderful idea, and wish other companies would think of doing that too. Especially in an industry where you are so stressed constantly. Well, enough rambling for the night. God bless.

Rider Program

I will check them out. Thanks Brett. I did want to ask, I am kinda at an impass in comparing companies. Each companies website is different and some dont have a lot of info on what they offer, yet others do. I used your section: Companies that hire recently grads, and that only had a few of the companies I am looking at. Do you have any other reccomendations where I can go? I am not necessairly looking for people's opinions on companies yet, just the facts of what they off. Thanks.

Napier Truck Driving Training....Hamilton, OH

Good news just keeps rolling in. I found out that Central Refridgerated and Werner will let me take my wife from day one too. I also got more pre hire letters. I got Warner, Roehl, and Boyd Brothers. I am still waiting on others too. At the end of this week may have 10 to 11 pre hire letters. It may be overkill, but like you said, Brett, I want to keep all my options open. I guess now I have to decide if I want to hall vans, refers, or skateboards. I have time to think about it. I start school in June, so I have time. Brett, been reading your book for those wanting to get into the industry and I am already learning alot. Didn't know that the tankers were that hard to drive, but not thinking on it, it really makes sense and makes me glad I didn't apply for any tanker jobs, though I am still going to get my tanker endorsement. Thanks for following along. I will continue to update as we go.

Rider Program

More good news just keeps coming. Yesterday I got pre-hires from Warner and Boyd Brothers. Today from Roehl, and some more should be coming in the next few days. So, now I guess I need to figure out if I want to drive vans, refers, or skateboards. LOL. So, many choices and yet so many great companies.