Profile For Bush Country

Bush Country's Info

TX

In CDL School

5 years, 7 months ago

Bush Country's Bio

After almost 40 years in the oil field I'm in CDL school at Knight Transportation.

Email: ptychopariida444@gmail.com

Posted:  1 month ago

Whats a reasonable expectation for weekly miles and what am I capable of?

(By the way, what is your governed speed with your company?)

FWIW - Davy, Old School, and I are at Knight. 63 on the pedal, 65 on cruise.

I am finishing up my time with my trainer and have set my initial goal to be 2500 a week. If I can do anything over that it’ll be lagniappe.

Posted:  1 month ago

How to get over bad experiences?

While I have little experience, and Im not a flatbedder, My DM specifically made sure that I request my home time in writing both over the Zonar (qualcom) and via text to him. He also said to remind him as I started getting close to it. In addition, barring an emergency, they need at least two weeks notice if possible so that they can get it routed that way. I also let him know if Im flexible on the dates or if they are hard dates.

Guess what Im saying is that perhaps to prevent that type of thing from happening again, communication is the key. I was vague and ambiguous the first time I requested home time and as a result, they just kept running me until I clarified the protocol.

Thanks for posting this Davy.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Knight Transportation, in Phoenix, in July. What the ...... was I thinking?

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom, B.C. ~ Sincerely.

Glad training is going well for you, tho! I'm excited for the next 'week' coming up, for ya! Pix of the truck, when you get it!! :)

~ anne ~

Thank you Anne.

She had vascular dementia and had been in decline for over a year. She was almost 92 years old. It has been said that dementia is “the long good-bye”. I agree with that. I chose to go ahead and get my CDL when I did because I had no way of knowing when she would go. It could have been a couple of more years.

In training news - I had a 610 mile day yesterday followed by 550 today. Since my trainer has been driving a little too, I’m running on recaps and getting good miles. Four days to go!

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

Knight Transportation, in Phoenix, in July. What the ...... was I thinking?

Hi. I know you are busy with training, any updates if you have a moment to squeeze them in? Hope all is going well.

Yep, staying busy.

I got started later than Stephen T. because I ended up with an extra week off. I finished in Phoenix on a Friday and got home Saturday morning. My Mom, who had been in memory & hospice care passed away on Sunday. I spent most of the week dealing with that.

Week 1: El Paso to Memphis, back to El Paso, back to Memphis, then Kansas City, Omaha, Des Moines, back to Memphis. Currently on a local run and live unload. After this, it is over to another customer and a live load going to Cheyenne, WY.

I have an excellent trainer. After reading so many horror stories about trainers I realize I have been fortunate. We got to the terminal early last night and spent a little over an hour practicing backing, before laundry & a shower. We set out some cones to give me a restricted space instead of using all the room available. One of the backs I did, which is sort of non-standard, is a 180 back into a space three truck widths over. Set up is everything!

One more week with the trainer, then I test out and get my own truck.

Posted:  1 month, 1 week ago

58 to old?

I am 63 and starting my second week on the road with my trainer.

Posted:  1 month, 2 weeks ago

Knight Transportation, in Phoenix, in July. What the ...... was I thinking?

Any updates, Mr. Bush Country?

Hope all is 'moving right along,' good sir!!

~ Anne ~

It seems there's a shortage of trainers so I am - finally - meeting up with my trainer in El Paso tomorrow. First load is going to Fontana. Yay! Los Angeles on 10 for my first load. What could be better?

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Question

Is there any place on this site where i can find how exactly how the process of getting a sponsered trucking company works from start to finish? I need to start getting my ducks in a row. I dont know if they do all checks on a potential driver before I make the journey or when I get there? Will I know if im accepted before I get there? f I am do they give me time to go back home and finish closing my life b4 I actually start? I need to know because I have to let go a disabled man I take care of who lives with me but I cant until I know for sure if i am accepted by the company. once I let him go theres no getting him back. If I have to be at the company for all the process and accepted or not I could always put him on respite for a couple weeks tillI find out and be able to come home straighten things out here then start school. Thanks

Here's how it worked for me at Knight Transportation: I applied online. I talked to a recruiter. I was hired (accepted into CDL school). I went to Phoenix, did the three week school, and passed the CDL exam. I did an additional week of training that Knight calls Top Gun. I went home, went to the DPS (other states - DMV), and got my paper CDL. I am now waiting on a trainer. It looks like it will be 3 - 5 more days until I get with one. I think the wait is usually shorter. I have used the additional time to study for and pass the written exams for Hazmat and doubles/triples.

When you are going to Knight, you are hired as an employee. Your first day of employment is the first Monday of CDL school. The current rate of pay is $480 a week. It defrays your expenses but does not cover them completely, unless you figure out something cheaper than staying in a hotel. The company does not pay for your transportation to school, the hotel room, or meals. Since you are becoming an employee, all of the background checks will be done before you are hired. This also means you have a job as a driver upon passing the test for your CDL. I would advise having everything in your home life taken care of before going to Phoenix because, depending on availability, you may be sent out with a trainer OTR as soon as a day or two after passing the CDL exam.

I hope this helps. It will at least give you a comparison for what other companies do.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

An absolute nightmare.

I know National Crime Information Center reports are "fuzzy" meaning they will report records of people with similar names, birthdates, and social security numbers. But NCIC reports are not available to the public or third-parties. But the reporting agency that the background check company uses may have the same "fuzzy" search process and the record they pulled shows an arrest of someone with a similar date to your accident. Ask the background check company what system they are using for their search and see if you can get your own report from them.

I can attest to the "fuzzy" part. There is an individual in a different state than me that has the same exact name and birthday. He has been incarcerated multiple times. When I applied at Knight, I told the recruiter that it was likely to show up on my background report. It did. Thankfully I have a solid work history, including the times when the other individual was in prison. It also helps that he is a different race. If I apply for any other jobs in the future, I still expect this to show up even though I've filed the paperwork to have it removed. IMHO the people that perform these background checks throw anything on the report that is even vaguely similar and don't care about the consequences for the person it hurts.

Posted:  1 month, 3 weeks ago

Looking for advice on whether or not to get into trucking

I'm in north Mississippi, I know there is an Old Dominion and a Southeastern depot about 20 minuets away from where I live. I guess my next step is to turn in the application to the trucking school here and get started. If I can get something local that will take the only reason I had not to do it out of the equation.

Averitt Express has a terminal in Belden, between New Albany and Tupelo, as well as one in Waites. They hire new graduates out of driving school. I have some interest in the company but I'm with someone else right now.

Posted:  1 month, 4 weeks ago

A Question about whether a different home base makes a difference for an OTR Trucker

Knight Transportation, where I just got my CDL, has a terminal in Hutchins, which is on the southeast corner of Dallas. Millis Transfer, who I considered going with, has a terminal and CDL school at Burleson, up 35/35W from Waco/Temple. Raider Express is located in Fort Worth, Stephens in Dallas, Yellow Freight in Dallas. I'm sure there are others in the DFW area.

As for being close to one's home terminal - I cannot answer that except to say that, for me, it was either 350 miles to Dallas or 290 miles to El Paso. I chose El Paso because it is an easier drive. I'm hoping I can park the truck somewhere in the Midland/Odessa area for home time. But it's only four hours home if not.

Posted:  2 months ago

On Board with Knight Transportation, Squire School started 03/22/21

I checked the routes in, called the hotel and asked if I could park out front. I didnt check the routes too thoroughly though, but it worked out ok. The road in was very steep and tight. (I was puckering coming up it) In talking with the customer in the morning, he said take the other route out as the way I came in is too tight coming back down. I really enjoyed working with him (old general contractor) on getting the load safely into place and he had really on point observations and knowledge. I had called my DM and told him my concerns about safety. He said noted and left it up to me as to how to procede. Ultimately I got it in and done with a satisfied customer and let him know.

Mrs. Country and I go to Santa Fe once a year for a long weekend. We've driven those same roads around Los Alamos going to Bandelier National Monument as well as Valles Caldera. Fun enough in my pickup. Don't know that I'd enjoy it so much in a truck.

Non-trucking comment - if you are a fan of the show Longmire, the cabin they use for his house is in Valles Caldera. It's a pretty good hike from the visitor's center but worth it for fan girls like my wife.

Posted:  2 months ago

Knight Transportation, in Phoenix, in July. What the ...... was I thinking?

Congratulations on passing everything! Now forget the seams/cracks in the ground, the pizza slices in the landing the gear, and the Ricki Lakes you learned. That all goes out the window Knight did you a big disservice by not teaching the most important backing skill, the 45 degree/90 degree setup.

Sure they give you a fool proof way of passing your test to get your cdl but now the real learning begins with your trainer. I just hope you get a patient trainer and one that actually wants to teach you backing rather than use you for miles. Make sure you tell your trainer you want to back into every situation that you find yourself backing in. Don't let the trainer back. He's there to teach/train you.

I don't learn well when a trainer is telling me left/right/wtf are you doing rocking the truck in reverse (well @^#& those automatics are a ***** to back at times, lol). Don't get discouraged and don't be afraid to call your DDM if it's not working out well with your trainer. I had enough after the last trainer grabbed my horn pull because he couldn't control his road rage even though I was driving😂

Thanks Arctic Wolves. Yep - no more Googly Eyes!

As Davy mentions, this week in Top Gun we've learned the blind & sight side 45's and 90's. Our time is split about half & half between time on the pad backing, and running through scenarios on the simulators. The simulators serve a purpose, but I'd much rather be in the truck. Two more days and I'll be heading home to get the paperwork done for my CDL and then wait for a trainer. Hopefully I'll have someone I can at least tolerate. I'm kinda zen about most things, but two weeks, a stranger, and a truck.... for sure I'll be glad when that's over.

Posted:  2 months ago

Knight Transportation, in Phoenix, in July. What the ...... was I thinking?

Thanks guys!

Congrats, from MEEEE TOOOOO!!

(Now, put back the other avatar...or be a grasshopper! Giraffe just 'confuses' me, haha!)

~ Anne ~

dancing-dog.gif good-luck.gif dancing-dog.gif

Ok Miss Anne - is the avatar better now?

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Knight Transportation, in Phoenix, in July. What the ...... was I thinking?

Thanks guys!

Congrats, from MEEEE TOOOOO!!

~ Anne ~

dancing-dog.gif good-luck.gif dancing-dog.gif

Thanks Anne!

The giraffe was my veterinarian having some fun with the mask mandate/social distancing last year. The other one he was using was a shark, but the picture I took of that isn't as good.

I'll round up a different avatar in the near future.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

65-years Young Retiree Needs Advice

CA -

Others on the forum can answer your questions better than I, since I'm a noob. I just wanted to say "hi!"

I came out of 39 years in the oil patch, most recently as a completions consultant on horizontal multi-stage fracturing. I'm 63 years old and passed my CDL tests yesterday. It sounds like you've had a similar experience with the job market. I believe there is a very strong prejudice against hiring people "our age", except in trucking. After 15 months of sitting at the house, and applying for hundreds of jobs, I decided to pursue trucking since it is something I've always wanted to do.

Have you considered Knight Transportation? They have a terminal at Olive Branch, MS and another one at Gulfport. The training is in Phoenix and is three weeks long. From what I've read, it is not that important to live close to your terminal. I am 290 miles from my home terminal in El Paso. One of the mods, I think Old School, lives in East Texas and is based in Gulfport.

Welcome aboard!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Knight Transportation, in Phoenix, in July. What the ...... was I thinking?

Thanks guys!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Knight Transportation, in Phoenix, in July. What the ...... was I thinking?

Passed the CDL test today. 1 point on pre-trip (not sure what I missed), 0 on skills, and 6 points on driving. My first right turn I was maybe 1/4" from the curb, but didn't hit it. My driving felt sloppy but it was apparently ok. Glad that is done!

One week of Top Gun then home to Texas to get the CDL processed. I was informed to call my terminal operations manager to set up a trainer. She's at a job fair today, so calling tomorrow. I also plan to test for Hazmat and doubles/triples endorsements when I'm home.

Really happy that Stephen T. also nailed the tests!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

What Company Sponsored CDL School has a Truck Simulator to train on?

Knight does, but only in an additional week of training after you get your CDL.

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

I'm seriously debating a job in the trucking industry

I started OTR in 1991, got out of the truck in 2012, and went offshore GoM, working 14 on /14 off. I'm seriously considering jumping back in the truck later this year or early 2022. I'm tired of the corprate BS and ass kissing in my current industry.

@Thomas D, with everyone having a cell phone, FaceTime, video calling, social media, etc, being away from home is a heckuva lot easier nowadays then it was in 1991. Good luck to ya brother.

I worked offshore GoM from 1994-2002 on the frac boats. Our schedule was also 14/14 except when I went to Brazil on 28/28. Gotta love those equal time rotations!

Posted:  2 months, 1 week ago

Does prime currently do hair follicle test?

Knight does both - hair and urinalysis - for pre-employment.

I'm asking if Prime, Inc does good sir, not Knight.

My comment was directed more to -

"The "Hair Follicle vs. Urinalysis Drug Testing: Breakdown By Company" article on this site hasn't been updated since 11/22/19."

That, and I have a tendency to scroll past the thread subject too quickly. My bad.