Profile For B Y

B Y 's Info

3 years, 5 months ago

B Y 's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  3 years ago

Waiting to be unloaded

I've found that in my experience I'd rather talk to "old timers" rather than younger folks any day. I was just in Dennys for brunch and had an older driver on one side of me and a driver about my age on the other. Both wanted to talk. I spent 90% of my time talking to the older driver as the younger guy wanted to talk politics more than anything. The older guy talked about his kids and grandkids and the differences between when he was coming up and how things are now. He was not politically correct and was a fun guy to listen to. Even got on the phone to a grandson so he could introduce him to the cute single waitress serving us.

Posted:  3 years ago

so i have road rage

I don't have the answer as to how to have patience with other drivers but i know you do have to have patience or being a trucker isn't going to be the right job for you. I could tell you several things about other drivers that tick me off on a daily basis but the bottom line is you have to learn patience and realize not everyone is a good driver. You have to learn to take a deep breath and brush things off. Being patient doesn't come naturally for everyone (myself included). And it's not just passenger vehicle drivers that test you, other truckers will test your patience as well.

Posted:  3 years ago

Need advice

We have forced loads and can't refuse them. The load times are within my 14 hour window but the shippers/receivers sometimes take long times to load and unload me. I looked at the violations earlier and most were fuel times not matching. I assume this means my "on duty...fueling" times don't actually match the time shown on pump receipts. I was taught by my trainer to pull into a fuel island and log "on duty...fueling" for approx 5 minutes then log "off duty or sleeper berth" the rest of the time regardless of how long it actually takes to finish fueling. He also said he prefers to pull in behind someone that is already fueling and log "on duty...fueling" until they are done then he goes to "sleeper berth" the entire time he actually fuels. I've been doing that as that's how i was taught. I guess i will start logging "on duty...fueling" for the entire time I'm actually fueling so everything matches up. Other than the fact that i am a new driver and may be being tracked more closely because of that, i wonder why he wouldn't be talked to about this. Oh well, I'll not concern with him and do what i have to do for myself.

Posted:  3 years ago

Becoming a trainer how much experience do you need

18 months should be a sufficient amount of time to learn before becoming a trainer. My trainer did tell me though that if you're doing it for the money it may not be a good idea. He makes an extra $30/day or $210/week when with a student. However, his miles tend to go down while training a student too resulting in breaking even with what he made driving solo. Breaking even on top of not having the privacy or space in the truck he has when solo has made him reconsider his decision and after he is done training his current student he is giving up being a trainer. Unless your company is paying you a considerable amount to train, it should be something you have a passion for before you decide to get into it. You should be passionate about it regardless but you get what I'm saying.

Posted:  3 years ago

Need advice

I got a message on the quallcom today saying i had accumulated 100 service failure/safety points this month. Some instances i know of for sure are 1) i had to repower a guy who had run out of drive time. By the time i got to him after traffic delays and hooked up, fueled up the truck and reefer and weighed everything i ran out of my 14 ten mins prior to arriving at delivery. If he'd fueled the trailer and weighed/adjusted trailer axles if necessary i would've probably been alright. 2) i arrived at consignee in Chicago on time but as i was being unloaded my 14 ran out and they do not allow nor do they have room to allow overnight parking. My fm told me to go to a safe haven location 12.7 miles away but during rush hour traffic it took me 1.5 hours to get there. 3) i was travelling through a smallish city during lunch hour and hit the brakes a little hard to stop at a yellow light causing a critical event to be sent out. There are several places i stop at with plenty of time left on my clocks only to have them load/unload me hours beyond my appt time causing me to have to creep slowly to a spot i can park at to rest for 10 hrs. The whole time I'm creeping along I'm getting hos violation warnings. 9 times out of 10 i am at least 1.5 hours ahead of my scheduled appt times. I'm not a whiner i am just looking for ideas how to avoid these issues from happening.

Posted:  3 years ago

Starting driver's log

Gotcha. Yes i do log all hours driving to shop, wash facility, etc.

Posted:  3 years ago

Starting driver's log

We were told when it comes to truck in the shop (I'm assuming that is included in your truck repair comment Rainy) that we should log out of the system so no drive time done by the shop employees during repair, testing, etc are counted against your hours. As far as truck washes i always log a few minutes on duty with wash in the remarks but then log off duty for the duration. I've waited an hour in line to have a trailer wash out and i don't want that time counted against my 70. And technically I'm not doing the work...i am literally off duty while they wash it.

Posted:  3 years ago

Just met my first ******bag trucker.....

I'm not necessarily saying you should go to blows with someone like that but, by all means, confront them and ask why they act like such a ******. I had a guy honking, making gestures with his hands, etc while I was trying to back in a space one day and after I was done i asked him why he felt compelled to act like such a d@ck and he quickly denied doing it and acted like we were best friends. Don't let them get away with it without letting them know you don't appreciate it. Especially if others are around to witness their behavior and cowardice when you confront them. It's always fun to watch some jerk tuck his tail in front of others.

Posted:  3 years ago

What happened?

There are cool truckers out there and some inconsiderate drivers as well. I don't care if I get any help backing or not. If I can't get it in I'll try a different spot if possible. Otherwise, they can wait until I get it done if they don't want to offer advice. The ones that bother me are usually at truck stops. Parking on the fuel island and walking away, pulling up to the yellow line after getting fuel and walking away for extended periods of time and the worst I've seen was a guy park his rig at the exit of the CAT scale and walk away leaving others to have to back off the scale. That gug deserved to be smacked around IMO.

Posted:  3 years ago

Trucker in deadly Georgia crash gets five years

IMO anyone who kills another while texting or driving while intoxicated deserves an automatic murder charge.

Posted:  3 years ago

First full hitch solo

Just finished my first full hitch as a solo driver. Did a 3 weeker. The first week out was kind of slow due to the 4th of July holiday. I got a 34 hour reset over that weekend. The rest of the hitch went fairly smooth but my driver door mirror was dinged by another truck at a trucks only rest area. I was parked well off the road on the shoulder and still got clipped. Woke up and found the small lower portion of the mirror hanging by a wire and minor scuffing on the plastic frame around the mirror but no glass broken. Taped it in place until I can get it fixed. Only other hiccups were being sent to a shipper only to learn that 2 weeks before I got there they quit shipping that particular item from that location. Had to drive approx 30 miles away to another locale making me late and causing company to pay a $75 late fee. You'd think they would've let their shipping companies know of the change. Also showed up at a shipper at 10:30pm to be loaded at midnight but they were behind on the product I needed so I wasn't loaded until 2:30 that afternoon. Ended up getting $165 detention pay out of that one. Other than those minor incidents it went pretty smooth. Overall, I considered it a success.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Nastiness

The thought of requesting a non smoked in truck never crossed my mind until I was at the terminal picking it up. I was simply told to rent a car and drive to the terminal in Indiana to pick it up. Got there and a couple hours later I was on my way to pick up my first load as a solo driver. My trainer told me the first truck he was issued with this company was also full of roaches. They tried fogging it but they were still there. They ended up bringing it in and removing all the carpet and anywhere else a roach could hide and refogged it. Must've done the trick after that.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Thoughts on removing Passenger Seat

During our orientation they showed a picture of a truck that had a small refrigerator in place of where the passenger seat should have been. Apparently it was discovered when the truck came in for routine service. They make light of it during the orientation but make sure everyone knows not to alter the truck in any way without running the idea through the shop first.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Nastiness

There's a thread titled "recover a truck" that got me wondering. What is the nastiest thing you've encountered when getting into a "new" truck that had been assigned to another driver before you? The truck i was assigned was fairly clean but smelled like cigarette smoke. I don't smoke so i try to drive with windows down to help air it out. Any horror stories you'd care to share?

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Satellite radio on cascadia

I drive a 2015 FL Casacadia and want to add a satellite radio antenna. What is the best way to do it? The receiver came with a small puck style antenna that sticks to a surface and there are aftermarket antennas that mount to a traditional metal mirror frame. The Cascadia doesn't have that type of mirror frame. What is the best way to mount an antenna to get the best signal?

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Starting Orientation and Training

My experience is showers are usually $10-$13. After you get the truck stop loyalty card and fill up with certain amounts of fuel in a month you can get free showers. If I'm not mistaking a 50 gallon fill up should give you a free shower and 500 gallons in a month should give you free showers for a month at either Loves, Pilot or Flying J. Not sure which one. And I'm not sure about the wifi. Most truck stops will definitely work with you if you don't have enough for a shower. I've even been given a free shower when i had my card out to pay. Maybe he was trying to tell me something.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Finally going solo

Thanks everyone. Picked up my truck in IN then headed to TN to deliver my first load. Went home after that and will be here for 4 days. Driving my pickup after being in the Freightliner for nearly 5 weeks feels strange. It's much nicer being solo than with the trainer although i know i have a lot to learn yet.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Items You May Have To Purchase

I didn't buy anything with Maverick. The reefer truck is assigned 4 load locks, 3 sets of chains, push broom. We were issued hi-vis vest, hard hat, pair of gloves, etc. The only thing I'd have to buy if I wanted it would be a kingpin lock. Can't believe some companies make you pay for all that stuff.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Headaches?

That should be prolonged exposure to smells can cause headaches and nausea.

Posted:  3 years, 1 month ago

Headaches?

Any of the things you mentioned an cause headaches. It wouldn't surprise me if the smell you mentioned were causing them. Exposure to odd smells can definitely cause headaches and even severe nausea.