Comments By B Y

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/red-pete.jpg avatar
  • B Y
  • Comments:

Finally going solo

Got off my trainer's truck a week ago and completed the final evaluation portion of the training yesterday. Me and another guy are on our way to Indiana from Arkansas to get our trucks. He's been assigned a 2016 FL Cascadia and I'll be getting a 15. Looking forward to going home for a few days then getting out there on my own.

I don't want to give up

Truth of the matter is that this industry isn't for everyone. You didn't like the home time situation and you, by your own admission, got nervous while driving and nearly killed a family. In my opinion you should take some time and do some serious soul searching to see if this is the right line of work for you. Driving an 80k pound rig isn't anythjng to be taken lightly. If you get nervous and it impacts your driving to the point of nearly killing someone I'd rather you not be on the road.

Reefer is more night driving?

I see what you did there Charlie Mac. You put the word golden in italics you sly dog you.

Exemployer telling lies to kept me from getting a job

Tracy I think I know what the B in Tracy B stands for now.

Orientation!

Good luck!

Final eval time

CT you now have 3 backing manuevers to accomplish as part of the final eval process. A 45, a parallel and a 90. Just started this last week I believe.

Final eval time

I have a feeling I may get to miss out on all the fun of playing shuttle bus driver (hoping so anyway). Tomorrow I go to the Galloway and start the eval on Sunday.

Pam/Driver solutions Contract

I'm glad it wasn't this easy to opt out of my old military contract or I would've! I also would've missed out on some great times and great opportunities. You could end up missing out on a lot too but you'll never know if you don't honor the contract you willingly (committed to) signed.

Final eval time

Thanks Brett and, yes, CT I'll be running TCD with Maverick.

Pam/Driver solutions Contract

In my opinion you should honor the contract. That said, if you're willing to pay them back you should do it in one lump sum now. They didn't train you in installments. They invested time, money and energy into the training you so readily accepted. Be a man and honor your word.

Reefer is more night driving?

I'm new to TCD and was on my trainer's truck the last 3 weeks. I'd say it varies but it seems most nights we started driving between 1 and 3am. The advantages to that are you're usually able to find good parking at truck stops and traffic is usually light when you're driving (although we hit some rush hour both morning and evening). The disadvantages are it can be noisy while you're trying to sleep, it can be hot while sleeping, and around 2-5am or so is when I was the most tired. Once the sun began coming up it was good though.

Final eval time

Got off of the trainer's truck yesterday after 3 weeks. It sure felt good to sleep on a real bed last night and sleep in this morning. On Sunday I begin my final eval in Little Rock before being issued my truck. Excited to get out there on my own but really can't wait until I get home for a few days.

Central Tech Drumright OK

Wow that course looks awesome. Wish the school I went to had that to learn on.

Pam/Driver solutions Contract

I considered teaming also but after a few weeks with a trainer (who was a good one) I feel it wouldn't be for me. However, if I had signed a contract I personally would honor it and move on after the contract was up. I was taught a man is only as good as his word. Again, just my opinion.

Putting Chains on Tires

Tire chains were never mentioned in my school and my trainer told me they are required to carry them by law in some states but that if he ever needs them he'll just stop and wait out the storm instead.

What's a good company to start out with?

I am a veteran and decided to go with Maverick out of truck driving school. I have post 9/11 GI Bill benefits and I went through a private truck driving school. Not only did the GI Bill pay the entire tuition but I also got an additional $1400 in BAH for the 3 weeks of school even though I went home every night.

I chose Maverick because they also are going to reimburse my school tuition as well at $150/month but they also offer an OJT benefit through the GI Bill program that pays tax free money every month for the first year I'm employed with them. I don't know the exact figure yet (I just got off the trainer's truck today and have to wait until I go solo to begin receiving it) but for the first 6 months it pays 100% of whatever it will be then months 7-9 pay 80% of that and then months 10-12 pay 60%. Again, tax free money you earned when you decided to join the military. Plus, their starting pay is as good or better than most others. There may be others offering similar benefits so be sure to check them all out thoroughly. Good luck and thanks for serving.

Should he go?

You have to make sacrifices in life. Missing milestones isn't nice but you have to do what's best for the family's long term success. I know it's not quite the same as being there but with today's technology and being able to send recorded videos and even stream live images makes it a lot easier to share special moments than in the past. Hope this ends well for everyone.

Newbie and CB Radio

I'm still in training but my trainer has one and we have only turned it on a few times. Twice in traffic so we could get an idea of what was causing the hold up (we also learned about a nice pair of legs in the jeep behind a greyhound bus that we never saw) and once at a shipper who's guardshack was on channel 40. Other than that it stays off. He did say he'll listen to the weather channel on occasion also.

Help! I'm starting to regret picking this school, not sure what to do

As others have said go for the class A. On the first day of the school i attended an instructor asked who has driven a stick and who had not. He said, and it was reiterated several times throughout training, that those who had never driven a stick were better off because they had no habits to break. They liked teaching the newbies the right way from the ground up.

Babysitting the Rig.

Maverick has a "personal conveyance" policy in place where you can drop the trailer and bobtail up to 2 hours per week for your own use while on the road. For example, you can drive 15 mins to a restaurant or a theatre, spend a few hours there and drive back to your trailer and it'd count as 30 mins of the 2 hour weekly allotment.