Profile For Fire-Man

Fire-Man's Info

Columbia, SC

Experienced Driver

6 years, 6 months ago

Fire-Man's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Posted:  6 months, 2 weeks ago

Need money who can help.

PayPal or Cash App if you have a smartphone. Then use Apple Pay or Wallet till you get a new card.

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Rent a Truck for Backing Practice

To pile on with Old School...

besides the costs I would be surprised if you could rent a rig with a learners permit.

Good luck and as always 'Be Safe'!

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Staying in shape while driving?

Thank you. That is all very comforting. Do you think Planet Fitness is trucker friendly? I already have a membership there lol.

'Most' Planet Fitness gyms I've run into are in old grocery stores and have more than adequate parking. Before hauling OS/OW I could find a way to get into one without too much, if any hassle. The workout time was great and the shower wait time was 'zero'! Both plusses in my book.

Posted:  3 years ago

Headed east!

Once when I was down there I was heading back out of the state with an empty flat-bed trailer. I got pulled into one of those Ag inspection stations and pulled up to the window and the highly intelligent person whose salary is paid from yours and my taxes, asked me "What are you hauling?" Astonished, I stuck my head out the window and looked back at my trailer, just to make sure before I told him I was empty.

Had this exact same thing happen to me a couple years back just outside Jacksonville. I'm just glad the guy never looked up at me for the answer. Elsewise, I'd probably still be picking up my teeth. 😁

R E West

I did good on the step. But I also had previous experience hauling equipment. I don't have my logs with me but I made, at least, my monthly minimum.

Though the freight can be just about anything the steps normally haul farm tractors, 1-3 per trip depending on size, and smaller heavy equipment. Some loads on the step are over-size or weight. I wouldn't get too worried about it though because even after you are done with your trainer we, the other drivers, are willing to answer questions and assist any way we can. Just bring a great attitude...you shouldn't be disappointed.

R E West

They are my third company and will be my last OTR company unless they just turn to hell in a hand basket. I'm on the open deck side and cannot speak for the van drivers but I can't see their experience being to much different. Two reasons - first on the open deck side (steps or RGN) the drivers to a person are willing to help anytime. Many of us talk with each other daily. The second reason given but the most important one to me is the respect given by my fleet manager and maintenance manager. It doesn't hurt that the office staff is not only friendly but supportive as well.

Flatbed division

It's hot and dirty in the summer, cold and wet in the winter and always windy when tarping or untarping. You go through clothes and gloves like there is no tomorrow and are either freezing or sweating your @$$ off while while securing/un securing your load. If none of that dissuades you just remember then you have to drive. shocked.png

Why anyone would pull a box or tank I don't know. Open deck, whether flat, step, RGN, etc., is where it's at. dancing-banana.gif

Looking for a change!!

Use your post 9/11 GI Bill, if you have any left, and go to a private school whether it's a Tech school or CDL only. Then find a company that will take you without prior experience. They are out there. After a year move on to someone who pays better unless you lucked out to begin with and really like your first. Pay isn't everything!

Good luck!

Essayons 82-05

Truckers with sleep apnea.

I don't know of any company that won't hire you just because you use a CPAP machine. Further I didn't know there were occasional CPAP users either. 🤔 😉😋

I'm normally out two weeks @ a time. I take my machine, hose, and mask to the house on home time and clean it all there.

Career choices

Hi PJ,

I too am on a second career...though I drove in my first career it wasn't my first responsibility. But it has influenced my 'driving career' in that I had to work my way back to step-deck and rgn. Through the process I hauled pneumatic tanks (lots of physical work dragging, connecting, disconnecting, and putting away 20 ' sections of 4" and 6" hose. It also involved a fair amount of climbing. I move from that to flatbed throwing nothing but straps and tarps over bags of concrete. Of course what was thrown had to be folded/rolled up and put away. Finally I ended up with my current employer throwing chains, binders, and straps....thankfully no tarps! BTW I'm slightly over 50, slightly under 6', and mostly over 270lbs. Saying all of that I had to find the work that satisfied me. The rest was/is mind over matter. What you don't mind - doesn't matter. If you want to b home more and it is what you want most out of trucking then go for it. But if the road is your calling - stay put!

Weight loss is possible!

Okay so let me start this by saying last year when I entered this profession I had a huge weight problem. When I recieved my permit my license said 5'9" 279 pounds what a slap in the face. Sleep Apnea machine was a given when I was hired. With hard work and healthy habits I am happy to report ( drum roll please) 219 pounds down 60 pounds since I started. Yes weight loss is possible driving for a living. I still need to lose 45 pounds but I am driven now more than ever.

Congratulations Brian!

Share your secrets man!

dancing.gif

Potential Rookie here

Ken,

Your current situation is only temporary...tomorrow will change all your assumptions!

Let's start this with the fact that I was a 16 year old high school drop out. Back then the Army took mercy on us drop outs and accepted me, with my mothers signature, at 17. About two years in (my next tomorrow) on a whim, I took, passed, and received my GED. Little did I know this little act would profoundly change the direction of my career by opening up many new opportunities. Among them was the opportunity to pursue and complete an Associates degree which improved my promotion potential. The next tomorrow, 22 years later, I retired, changed careers and went back to college in my new career field. My next tomorrow was way quicker than ever expected. After a short 8 years I found myself de hind the wheel of a big rig due to family health issues which took my wife out of the workforce for the foreseeable future. Now I happily drive a truck until my next tomorrow. The moral of the story is you never know what tomorrow will bring but you are better prepared to meet it with certain credentials - a GED or HS diploma being one of them.

Trip planning

There is no way in h$ll I would eat at that TA. Last time there, two weeks ago, the food looked to be four day old re-heats. A first generation MRE would have been preferable - Cheese oil and hockey pucks (dried pork patties).

Career Change: 54 too old?

Hey Mike. Welcome to Trucking Truth. If you do decide to become a Class A driver you will be happy you found us. Many great people who are very motivated to help others. Brett has put together a great training plan and the community in general is great. But back to your question...unless you are physically or mentally disqualified, or have a bad driving record, then you should have no problem finding a good company to realize your dream with. Many men and women, for that matter have started driving OTR after retiring from their primary career myself included. In fact I honestly believe that trucking is one of those industries that doesn't discriminate based on age. They let DOT and the physical do it for them. rofl-1.gif

Thoughts on driving in snowy traffic jams

Errol V. said, "Once you are rolling, and as the traffic allows, do your best to not stop at all, keep your wheels rolling."

^^^^^^^^ momentum is your best friend and biggest enemy, after other drivers, in snow or icy conditions. The key is to control your momentum.

Dang cpap

On the subject of Sleep Apnea and CPAP's, what if I bring my own machine? I've been using one for about 10 years now, got the mask and everything.

If I walk in telling them I have this, will they still require me to do the whole study? Trying to sleep with more wires in your head than R2D2 ain't easy even if you don't have sleep apnea..

Paul,

It will depend on the company you are attempting to hire on to? It would be best to ask your recruiter this one. As each company plays by their own rules. That being said, you stand a better chance of not having to retake the sleep study if you have a recordable device and have a copy of the previous 30-90 days usage showing a minimum of 4 hrs of usage each night. I do this prior to my physical every year and have been thanked by the Dr. for doing so each time.

Randy

Posted:  4 years ago

Ok, there's a Museum for everything

What? You haven't seen the RV/Motorhome museum and Hall of Fame in Elkhart, IN? Yep.

^^^^^^^^ you stole mine. 😭

What is on your 'must have' list

Coffee

Attending Church while trucking

Hello all. I plan to attempt to become a successful truck driver in a few years as my next career. Having been in law enforcement for 25 years I feel that I can handle the stress of the lifestyle, although I know it is a whole different kind of stress. I have wanted to do this for several years now but I felt I had to stick it out in my current job to get the early retirement.

So now that I am getting closer to realizing my dream, I have a couple questions.

As a devout Catholic, it is important to me to attend Mass every week. Or at least every other week, I know it is probably not realistic to expect this every week.

Are there any companies out there that would work with me to at least be able to take a couple hours out of my saturday evening or sunday morning if I am near a town in order to attend Mass?

Also, with my pension, I will only need to make about $20,000.00/year to replace my current income so I won't have the stress of having to get maximum miles all the time.

One more question if you don't mind. Are there any Christian truck driver groups, or organizations, that you know of. I plan to treat this new career as a truck driver as a ministry as well.

Thanks, I appreciate you all.

Have you considered streaming a Mass? I know "Word on Fire" (Fr. Robert Barron) has sermons on his web-site or EWTN as well. If you find yourself on the road you can still catch a streamed Mass and then do Communion when you are on home time or are lucky enough to find a church you can get to on the road.

HELP!

Hi everyone,

I've been tossing the trucking career back and forth for what seems like eternity. But based on my current income(commissioned sales and VERY SLOW), I'm getting to the point that I need to s**t or get off the pot.

I can search info on line all day long. For ten minutes I'm reading positive information, for the other ten I'm reading negative information. Obviously take what I read with a grain of salt but its tough for someone on the outside looking in to decipher whats real or not. One of my concerns is obviously the pay. I see YouTube videos of people saying they love the job and the pay, and I see YouTube videos of people saying the pay sucks and they hate the job. Now I know some are geared towards recruiting, etc. But I try to find a mix of information, from a variety of sources to help me get a real feel and make as educated decision as I can.

Can someone help me out here? I honestly am 75% there but I dont just jump into anything I do. I've made it to 53 fairly successfully doing things that way. Hopefully I get some replies.

Thanks,

Jimbo

Jumbo,

More than most other careers trucking is a life-style and as such some are born to it, others are well suited to it, others have to work at it, and still others should just stay home. That being said, most, but not all of those who are readily complaining fall in the latter group. If you thrive on responsibility, like change, enjoy time to yourself, and can accept that you are responsible for results but do not control most of the variables then you have a fairly good chance at success. As for making a choice do your research and ask questions. But as you will quickly find-out - only you can answer certain questions. As in which school, which company, and what trailer to pull.

And remember, nothing ventured- nothing gained! good-luck.gif