Comments By Lyght

https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/larethlyght/Charles_zpsldxqrdqo.jpg avatar
  • Lyght
  • 4 years ago
  • Comments:

Lyght's Journey To Become A Truck Driver

Thanks for the tip Doonnie! I'm also glad to hear I wasn't the only one having a problem with the air break. I'm some what using the same 2-3 3-4 thing so I know if one answer is 2 the other has to be 3, and that you lose more air when the breaks are pushed. I didn't think the pre-trip or driving would be on the permit at least in to much depth since a lot of that seems hands on changes depending on the truck you'll be driving. Good luck in your schooling, are you going to the one in Joplin, MO?

Truckers Fat Fight

That is what we are all about. Fast training programs and quick food options if that is what you need. We use a variety of food types: pre cooked foods, fresh foods, and fast food options. Could you tell me more about this driving team concept? I am unfamiliar with it.

Alright team drivers are basically two drivers who take turns driving the same truck in shifts. That means I'll my 11 hours* then my wife will take over and drive her 11 hours. Unless of course we have to stop for some reason, such as we're at our drop off location and waiting to unload or during unload, or bad traffic truck in the shop, ect. For the most part in team drivers the truck is almost always moving. From the way I understand it I'm still learning and haven't started driving yet hopefully a team driver will reply and they will have a better idea of how it works in the real world.

Another thing to keep in mind is OTR (aka long haul drivers) are rarely home. So ordering food like you have described might be out of the question, I know my wife and I for example are only planning to go home every three months. Speaking of home, there are some "homeless" truck drivers that don't live anywhere but in their trucks so shipping to them months worth of feed isn't likely to fit in a P.O Box.

Again I'm still in training and haven't taken to on the road driving yet so I could be completely wrong with all this, and the idea seems good I'm just not sure how piratical it will be.

*During the 14 consecutive hour on duty period, you are only allowed to drive your truck for up to 11 total hours. Once you have driven a total of 11 hours, you have reached the driving limit and must be off duty for another 10 consecutive hours before driving your truck again.

Truckers Fat Fight

Honestly that is something I've wondered about as I study for my CDL. As you can see from my picture I'm already heavier than I really care to be. I'll be driving teams with my wife which I think will limit any time to try to exercise. I know we'll still be required the stops during the different time clocks that I might be able to get out and do some jogging or maybe some push ups but the goal is to drive as much as we can. I know a slow cooker is a must to cut down on fast food, my wife and I are already trying different cans soups to see what we like to try to cut down on eating out to much on the road. At one point I was thinking about getting a few weights and working out with them while driving but the more I learn the more I see how that would be a really dangerously stupid thing to do. If you get a program for truck drivers set you, make sure you do one for teams too and keep in mind how little time you'll have to work out and how limited food choices will be. Most trucks don't have a lot of choices on how you cook your food and a lot of them don't have a fridge either.

Voting.

Thank you.

Voting.

Heh adding my state might help. I live in Alabama, and I this state doesn't do early voting so I can't just go down and vote before I leave.

Voting.

Hello,

I have a question about voting as a truck driver. How do you go about doing it? I don't want to get into the politics of who's voting for whom kinda thing, but I do want to vote and I'm not sure how. As for right now I'm at home still and not officially employed by a trucking company. I'm getting my CDL permit (hopefully I'll pass!) on the 28th. Then I'll call XPO and get sent off to go to training. This close to election day will I end up having to miss it if I don't wait until after the 8th to go to training?

My company is great.

And that's what I expect hahah.

Btw... If you are parked and still feel the wind, lower the landing gear for better stability. No one told me that and I was empty one night and thought someone was on my truck. When I got out to look other drivers were doing it. After I drooped it back to sleep I went. ;)

Glad ur happy

Good tip!

Lyght's Journey To Become A Truck Driver

I've finished:

● Rules & Regulations

● Driving Safely

● Transporting Cargo Safely

● Air Brakes

● Combination Vehicles

● Pre-Trip Inspection

● Driving Exam

In The High Road Training Program. Air breaks are still giving my some problems that I'll want to want to go over again. o With all brakes released, the air loss rate should be less than 2 psi in 1 minute for single vehicles. o With all brakes released, the air loss rate should be less than 3 psi in 1 minute for combination vehicles. and o Air loss rate should be less than 2 psi in 1 minute for a single vehicle. o Air loss rate should be less than 3 psi in 1 minute for combination vehicles (vehicles with a trailer).

The break released verses I guess normal air lose? Still confuses me and I often get those questions wrong. I'm still trying to memorize Perception Distance + Reaction Distance + Brake Lag Distance + Effective Braking Distance ------------------------------ = Total Stopping Distance

as well. I know stopping times are 1 second per 10 feet of vehicle length at speeds below 40 mph and to add a second for over 40 mph, but trying to use that math stuff.

Other than that I'm nervous and excited. My permit test is on Friday, so I'm going to use this next week to take some practice exams. I might take a day or two break from the stuff honestly feeling a little study burnt out and I know my wife is too.

Lyght's Journey To Become A Truck Driver

Alright I made the phone call yesterday and set my appointment to take my CDL permit on Friday, October 28, 2016 at 2:00 PM my wife will be taking hers the same day but half an hour later. I'm nervous about the DOT physical I need to get I've looked up the price and I've seen anywhere from 50-300 dollars which would be doubled because we need two. If we can get them for 50 each or even 100 each we will be alright but I don't know if we can afford it if it ends up costing us 300 each. We both quit our jobs (way to soon kicking ourselves in the butt for that now) to do this so right now we don't have an income and have a set amount of money saved up to do all this. My dad did say he will help us if we need it but I'm hoping to not ask him.

To study I'm using the state cdl manual, listening to http://cdlstudybuddy.com/ntds/section6.php while I'm unable to study and using the High Road Training Program. On top of that I have a word document I'm using to take notes on. My wife is just using the paper manual I'm trying to talk her into the High Road Training Program too but so far I've had no luck in getting her to give it a try.

Air breaks have been the only area I've been confused on, the rest seems pretty easy and I've been able to get on my first or second read. I down loaded the google app from this site and have been taking practice tests and honestly flying through them.

--- Donnie M: I haven't gotten back up with my recruiter yet I was waiting to double check when my wife gives them a call. She's doing a good job reading the manual but she's starting to drag her feet a bit on everything else.

I'm unsure about this question.

The idea of driving doubles and triples honestly scare me a bit I'm guessing from your post that you do it or have done it. As a drive is it much different? I assume backing up with those is way harder, but I wouldn't think going forward would be much different.

I'm unsure about this question.

I do have another question but I don't want to make a new thread before I have a few. :) In reading the CDL manual should I read all of it and try to learn it all? I'm going to be driving for XPO and they want me to come in with my Class A permit, and with in 120 days of being hired want me to get my Hazardous Materials endorsement. The manual says to get those I should study sections 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 11,12 and 13. I don't want to skip the others (4, 7, 8 and 10) and then fail my exam over that. At some point I would like to get all the endorsements as the site suggests but while getting started I want to keep it simple so I don't take on to much and fail. I already did section four, so those other three really wouldn't kill me I guess but I don't want to put to much effort into studying for them if they wouldn't be on my permit exam.

I'm unsure about this question.

I have noticed most of the time when I get an answer wrong, when I go back to check it that I just didn't read the question fully. Trying to rush to much though it so I'm going to take your guys advice (thanks by the way) and slow down a bit.

I'm unsure about this question.

Never mind. I feel stupid now. I missed "except" I would delete the post if I could.

CDL Permit Manual Audio?

I'm loving the High Road Training Program, its a little slow with a quiz at the end of each page but it really seems to be helping me remember the stuff.

MC1371 thanks for the link I'll give that a listen to. When I'm not studying it'll be good back ground noise to hopefully heck enforce it in my memory.

I'm unsure about this question.

Sorry the subject isn't the best. Anyway I'm working my way through the cdl training program on this site and one of the questions/answers confuse me, I'm hoping someone can explain it to me.

Q) The following are all causes of Front-Wheel Skids except: A) Driving too fast for conditions B) Cargo loaded so not enough weight is on the front axle C) Too much tread on the front tires D) All of these are reasons for front-wheel skids

A and B make sense to me, but C doesn't. So I'm not thinking the answer would be D. However, the page says that C is the correct answer.

But...

Quote From The CDL Manual:

"Front-Wheel Skids - Most front-wheel skids are caused by driving too fast for conditions. Other causes are lack of tread on the front tires, and cargo loaded so not enough weight is on the front axle. In a front-wheel skid, the front end tends to go in a straight line regardless of how much you turn the steering wheel. On a very slippery surface, you may not be able to steer around a curve or turn.

When a front-wheel skid occurs, the only way to stop the skid is to let the vehicle slow down. Stop turning and/or braking so hard. Slow down as quickly as possible without skidding."

In the quote it says lack of thread not to much thread. Is that a typo in the answer or am I just not understanding it right?

Lyght's Journey To Become A Truck Driver

So far I've been reading the manual and answering the end of the section questions. I also found an audio version of the manual on youtube but it was honestly to boring to be of any value I might look for another one. Now I'm reading the manual and using the CDL Training Program on this site. The training program is basically the same as reading the manual but with a quiz at each page its really enforcing a lot of the stuff I need to learn. So far I've found that I'm having a hard time on the braking math other wise I'm understanding and learning it pretty easily. I really should have been doing this a long time ago. At first I was going to drive from Prime and they didn't require a permit when joining so I didn't worry about it, now I wish I did. Either way, I'm wanting to finish the manual (and training program) by Wednesday and hopefully take my permit test by the end of the week.

Lyght's Journey To Become A Truck Driver

I'll double check with the recruiter I talked to but I thought she said it was 90 days that we'll be separated for. My main worry with being trained apart is that we might butt heads on things because we learned them differently, hopefully you have something there about the different perspectives being being a good thing. I mean I can see how it could come in handy when new things pop up along the road though.

I didn't even think to look on youtube thanks for the advice on that.

So far I finished section 2 of the manual I could likely go faster but I'm trying to member as much of it as I can and I'm taking notes re-reading parts of it. The pictures I'm trying to memorize all of them and were everything is on the images, I'm most likely over thinking it.

CDL Permit Manual Audio?

Thank you.

CDL Permit Manual Audio?

Does anyone know where I can find an audio version of the CDL manual? I'm reading the paper one and while its only 150 something pages long, I would like to have an audio one to listen to while I'm multi tasking and doing other things. That way I'll have both read, and listened to a version of it. I also took a few practice tests on this site and the Test Your Knowledge questions at the end of each section and the two are very different from each other, which one would I be more worried about studying?

Lyght's Journey To Become A Truck Driver

I'll do my best to keep you updated. Today we're working on going through the CDL manual, I've taken the practice CDL exam on this site (which is a big help again a huge thank you to the people running this place) just trying to common sense my way through it and so far haven't gotten less than a 70 on it, not enough to pass the exam but high enough I'm feeling pretty good about it. I'm doing the XPO training I'm honestly a little confused on what their schooling will consist of since they require a permit before going and that covers most of the book. Still excited about it though. How do you feel about the 3 months of separate behind the wheel training?