Profile For sculpy

sculpy's Info

NJ

Preparing For School

3 years ago

sculpy's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Example of a really annoying week.

Reading your original post made my head spin. I hope timekeeping when you're in a truck is easier than when you're just reading about it.

Snow on the trailer?

And yet the catch 22 remains for snowed-on drivers who aren't near a trailer scraper...

Snow on the trailer?

I haven't found the relevant regs yet but i've read a lot of truckers claim that OSHA regs forbid drivers from manually clearing off thier trailers without safety harness equipment. Probably another catch 22 that leaves the trucker stranded in reality.

Sure some veterans can chime in on OSHA.

Quick Thought

Gladhand wrote:

If you are getting complacent or lazy, use me as an example to not be.

I understand why you said that, but I never viewed you as lazy, that's too damning. Maybe complacent, okay, but I guess part of the learning curve is realizing you can't be complacent for a second, ever. I've been following your journey from almost the start, and seeing a lot of myself in you, I've found your progress, drive and accomplishments very inspirational so far.

Every time you posted about a misstep, or losing heart briefly, my own worry would ratchet a notch! And every time you rallied, it inspired me again to know that I'll be able to do this job too. And you will; you clearly have all the right ingredients. You'll rally again and keep pushing forward, and you'll simmer into a very fine driver for as long as you want to follow that path.

Keep sharing your stories and thoughts! I can't wait to share the road with those of your ilk!

Lessons a Rookie learned in Maine....

Just out of curiosity, is there anything to actually stop you getting on top of a trailer and getting the snow off yourself (aside from safety and common sense)? Assuming you can even manage to climb up there...

I might be done with truck driving

Hehe, that's a good tip, i'll try that. Thanks for your input Errol and Brett, much appreciated. I'm a bit nervous now but I know i'll own it and be mindful of doing it right once I get started. This place has been inspiring.

100,000 miles in trucking!

7 months! That's very impressive. Congratulations. I hope your family/friends still recognize the bad a$$ you've become!

I might be done with truck driving

From Rainy:

I used to get so frustrated cause GOAL didn't help.me. I could see where the trailer needed to go, but how to get it there was beyond me.

Honestly this is one of my worries. GOAL will let me see where everything is, but it's a static view. I worry the GOAL won't help me figure out what I have to do with my maneuver because not seeing the trailer IN MOTION won't help me understand the overall curve it's actually taking. But I guess i'll just have to practice and get better like everyone else!

That I-80 video that was posted from Wyoming really shook me up.

As someone going to CDL school soon, I admit the same video/s shook me up a bit as well. I can think that i'll be a safe driver; maintaining a safe following distance and proper speed given conditions when i'm out on the road, and say to myself that something like this won't happen to me...

The thing that shook me though, is the fact that EVEN IF I was one of the safe drivers who safely stopped in time and did everything right, I could still end-up minced because of any number of drivers behind me who might not be being so careful, as evidenced in those WY I-80 accidents.

I just try not to think about that too much, heh.

Finally passed

I remember reading about you curbing and failing your first test. Glad to hear you got it nailed though. Congratulations!dancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gifdancing-banana.gif

CB Radio an important tool, reconfirmed last night.

Great stories Chris L.! Thanks for sharing. I have no experience with radios and have been juggling whether i'd invest in one or not; not knowing how i'll get it installed or whether it'd be enough use. I think you might have convinced me though! I suppose the shop at most companies would be willing to put one in?

Interesting to hear you've even had people spot you over their CBs while backing! That's cool. I read most folks telling newbs to turn their CB off when backing to avoid all the insults and mocking... be a shame if there's a trucking willing to spot you though. Then again, how do you know if it isn't some supertrucker being mischievous and trying to get you dinged? Hmm. Yeah, i'll probably still leave it off in that situation if I do get myself a CB.

Hours of Service Question (Time at Shipper/Reciever)

You are all wonderful peoples with these illuminating discussions. I feel like you do on this Rainy: the rule seems simple enough to me in practice. It's when drivers start introducing math and 'calculating' the clocks, and taking paragraphs and paragraphs trying to explain it that it gets needlessly confusing (at least for me!) It's great to have these real world examples and info on what the QC does though. Thank y'all.

Hours of Service Question (Time at Shipper/Reciever)

Thank you all so much for your replies. Much clearer. Isaac H.:

Now, as far as the 8/2 split, ANY break that is longer than 2 hours counts as a 2 hour break. So, if your at the shipper for 4 hours you can leave than take an 8 hour break to complete your split.

I did remember the regs wording in this section of "at least", but I didn't realize it was literally that flexible. That's good to know, thanks. I'm glad I asked. I find the split sleeper rules pretty straightforward and easy to comprehend, but it's definitely a tricky thing to try to explain. Rick said:

So if you get stuck waiting for 7 hours (instead of 8) and have to go back on duty - that 7 hours have been "burned off" of your 14.

Given the "flexibility", could you even pass off 7 hours as your "2", and if you still had enough on your 14, drive off to a TS, take 8, and recalculate your 14 from the end of the 7 hour-long "2"? I realize that leaves you with so little time you may as well take the 10, but regardless, could you still do that if you needed/wanted to? Also Isaac:

Put yourself in off duty the moment you enter the property so that all the check in time and paperwork stuff all gets counted in.

Sneaky! I realize that isn't legal at all, but I understand the reasoning behind it. Can you reliably creep around a property and dock without your QC logging you on duty? Good tip about trying to be on the docks when you shut-down/start-up, that sounds like a big time saver. I hope I get to find some shippers/receivers who allow parking for that!

Thanks again to all for the info.

Hours of Service Question (Time at Shipper/Reciever)

Hey all, forgive me for resurrecting this ancient thread, but it's a pertinent topic to me and already has some useful information others might see. I was looking for some clarification on this topic that I haven't found so far, and I can't quite figure out just reading the regs.

So say you're at a shipper/receiver and you're logging hours in the sleeper, BUT you get your papers etc and are ready to roll after an IRREGULAR number of hours? For example, if you're logging sleeper and you get woken after, say, 4 hours? In that case, does sleeper berth ONLY help to save your 70? So far as I understand, unless you happen to nap there at the shipper/rec. for 2 or 8 hours (to initiate a split) or extend to 10 (to reset your 11/14), any other number of sleeper hours that you come out of won't have stopped your 14 clock, right? Might you still be in some predicament with HOS and getting somewhere else (if necc.) to park unless you magically happened to be waiting for one of the convenient off-duty/sleeper hour cut-offs?

I feel like i'm missing something here. Does going sleeper at the dock most of the time only serve to save your 70, or do you find yourselves making sure that wait time hits 2, 8 or 10? If not, is it more a trip-planning case and making sure you have a lot of clock when you first arrive, so you can get away again if you've been held-up a weird number of hours? Any clarification is much appreciated!

Colossal Cave Driving

Loved the RPG text adventure narrative Errol, nice writing! Can't figure out if it makes me more or less nervous to ever end up there. =P

Oklahoma Earthquake

OK to shut down dozens of fracking wells.

Glad to see some local government starting to push back against these practices in the interests of their communities. There's enough wealth and technology in the world to develop less destructive energy sources.

Mp3 players and such

Timely topic; just yesterday I saw a trucker rolling down rt. 30 (very busy, cars cutting everything off like crazy, no dedicated turn lanes...) with a huge pair of headphones over both ears. Oh, lots of cops on rt. 30 too. He probably didn't get very far.

GPS Reliance vs Trip Planning

I'm not intending to invest the hundreds of dollars up front for a GPS unit. My experience with them in 4-wheelers alone is enough to convince me that their main utility is to alert me of upcoming turns on the highway where sheer travelling distance might have made me complacent, and at worst, they're a distraction/confusion in close quarters when I need really need the most help.

For my money it seems to me that using an atlas, calling receivers, writing my directions, and if need be, a satellite view of urban areas, is all that is needed. GPSs just end-up making me second-guess myself, and i'm not sure it's worth 300-some dollars out of my pocket for that 'convenience'.

My old trainer just posted this on FB

This is a slight worry for me too; unless i'm utterly exhausted or under some malign influence I just can't fall asleep at will. I know when I take a ten I'll be able to pop a couple melatonins before I park to guarantee good sleep, but unless i'm already completely knackered it's hard to imagine being able to just snooze off an hour or two waiting for an un/load.

Went to NY and NJ for the first time...

Sorry to hear it sucked! I'm SO looking forward to trucking in NJ/NY. embarrassed.gif

I was on White Horse Pike (NJ rt. 30) going to work last week and had the pleasure of coming alongside a 53ft La-z-boy sleeper just as it was beginning its maneuver into a furniture store off the street. There was a small gap in oncoming traffic (rare!) and the driver turned right into those two lanes, went past the store setting up his back, and sight-side backed it into the dock in one go. I pulled into a store on my side and parked up just so I could watch, but the stopped traffic barely had time to get impatient before the driver was all done. Was awesome! I hope to be that good one day.