Comments By Mark .

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/129-small.jpg avatar
  • Mark .
  • Comments:

Physical

Also, check wit your state to see about registering your DOT medical card and how mu h time you have to do that. In some states, if you dont do it in time, they can cancel your cdl alrtogether.

What do you mean by registering your DOT medical card? If you got the DOT physical and you got a green medical card, is there something more that needs to be done?

Company sponsored schools

Do company sponsored schools usually have lockers for storing personal items?

Measurement from front of trailer to center of 5th wheel

I heard in a video that the measurement from the front of the trailer to the center of the fifth wheel is 3ft. Is this always the case?

500 miles a day and loving it

For what it is worth, I also packed an 8 pack of tp. My instructor laughed at me, but I enjoy certain comforts, and that is one of them. Im glad I did.

Do truck stops not provide TP or did you have to do your business in the truck? Not to get too personal here but why are you glad you did?

Is it difficult to get to a mail drop box?

Well, alot of it is depending on the state you are going to get it in....But the best way to handle your mail is have it sent to a trusted person at their address ( you will have to fill out a card for that). Then, if anything official comes in, they can hollar at you and let you know, and keep your mail safe until you get there to get it.We did the drop box...hated it, cuz it would get jammed to full, then they would charge us for storage...

I need to clarify my question. If I have something I want to mail, is it difficult to find a place to drop it off to mail?

On the Road Internet

I now have T Mobile. I have no complaints. I have unlimited Internet and roaming and text for two lines and pay 110$. The Internet isn't always very good.

With T Mobile internet, Is it usually fast enough to be able to watch movie streaming (Netflix) or youtube?

When you say two lines, do you mean phone and laptop?

Stupid question - when i hear about OTR drivers

Daniel You don't have to take 34 hour resets if you manage your time so that you can work off your re-cap hours,

What do you mean by work off your re-cap hours?

Can you give me some examples of managing your time?

Thanks, Mark

Brett, trying to stay logged in.

Brett, I am consistently having to log back in. I am using IE10 and if I close my browser and then open, I have to re-log in. Is this how it should be? Thanks

SHOES vs BOOTS? What type of foot ware do you use?

I got a pair of BRAHMA's ("KANE" style) at Walmart

What is "kane" style? Could you put in a link for illustration? Thanks

What is a good tape measure length?

I understand that it is good to have a tape measure as one of the tools for the truck. What tape measure length is best? Thanks, Mark

Shower Slippers/socks

I am looking into getting shower slippers/socks. I am not interested in flip-flops. Can anyone tell me a good brand to get and where they got them? Thanks, Mark

Is it difficult to get to a mail drop box?

I heard from trucker on youtube that it is difficult to get to a mail drop box while on the road. I want to find out from people on this board if this is true.

Thanks,

Mark

Driving with a trainer

What do you do when your trainer wants you to do something that is against company policy?

example. Sleep in the top bunk while truck in in motion even though it is against company policy. I wouldn't want to do something against company policy and get fired.

Mark

What are top 10-20 rookie / student driving mistakes in first 6-12 months ?

#15. Not balancing your hours each day so you can always have hours coming back and you can always be driving every day. Working 11 hours then 3 hours then 10 hours then 5 hours isn't a good thing. Balancing the days is always better.

Would you elaborate? Thanks

Pre-trip inspection

Do you just need the engine department? I can take pictures and post them on this thread with a description of what to look for. If it would help.

Wow, talk about going above and beyond the call of duty! I just need the engine department. I don't want you to go out of your way. If you decide to, much appreciated. If not, no hard feelings at all. I'll leave it completely up to you. Either way, thank you.

Pre-trip inspection

pre-trip.net

Thanks you all for your help! Unfortunately, I won't be going to the website you are stating for my own personal reasons. I did see the website in the google listing but don't feel comfortable going to the site. Thanks for all the work to find this site, but I will not be viewing it.

Pre-trip inspection

I do not know my way around a car engine (let alone a semi engine). I am trying to learn the pre-trip inspection but unfortunately, I don't know what the parts look like and I haven't found any pictures that shows a clear view. Any ideas on where I can find some pictures that I can learn from so that when the time comes that I look at a semi engine, I can point the parts out by sight? I have tried google pictures, youtube, and this site (you have a great site here, Bret, but I need better pictures :) ). Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Does CR England go into Canada or Mexico

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but my understanding is the CR England goes into Canada and Mexico.

I called a recruiter and was told that OTR does not go into Canada or Mexico.

Can anyone confirm one way or another?

Also, if OTR does go into Canada/Mexico, is the driver forced to go into either of these countries?

Thanks,

Mark

Working with a trucking company recruiter

My understanding is that in order to get a job with a trucking company, you'll have to go through a recruiter. I also understand that you'll never know if a recruiter is telling you the truth or not unless you get the information in writing. Is it normal to get things in writing from a recruiter? If not, how does one know that they aren't wasting their time talking to a recruiter because they don't know if the info they are getting is true or not?

Thanks,

Mark

How important is it to get 160 hours of CDL training?

I'm considering a private truck driving school in the Los Angeles area that tailors the learning experience to the student with one-on-one instruction. Their prices vary and one of the most expensive is less than half of what other private schools are offering. I asked why this might be and the answer is that they tailor the course to what the student needs, not the 160 hours that are often the case. They mentioned that the DMV doesn't care about the 160 hours and they don't deal with Werner and one other company that does want the 160 hours. How important is the 160 hours? Thanks, Mark