Comments By Mark .

• Mark .
  • Comments:

Downshifting during driving test

And 99.9% of the drivers float gears

What is floating gears? Thanks

It's a good day in Springfield, MO

Did my driving. Parked at Walmart in Springfield. Buffalo Wild Wings and Sunday night football.

I love my job.

How do you watch the game? Thanx, Mark

Learning with a 48 footer

Does learning with a 45 or 48 footer make a difference in training since trailers can be 53 long? Thanks, Mark

The private school path

I recently have started thinking of going to a private school for my CDL. I understand in doing so, I want to get pre-hire letters. What I don't understand is the process from going to Private to getting a job. With Company sponsored, your on the road with instructor for 4 to 6 weeks and then return to take your DMV test for your CDL.

With a private school, do you get that same 4-6 weeks? How does this work please. Thanks

Question about training.

I am considering attending United Truck Driving School. Two questions,

1. Does anyone have any personal experience with them, good or bad?

2. I notice on their website that they use trailers that are 45' to 48' in length. Not being 53', would that be a hindrance in training?

Thanks, Mark

What is next?

While I am in the process of getting the following,

CDL Permit, Going over the Weight Section and the Log book Section,

Once this is complete, what is the next step to take? Thanks, Mark

8 hours in sleeper berth rule

I guess i should have prefaced my remarks by saying that being on the "sleeper berth" line doesn't literally mean you have to be IN the sleeper berth..

Not trying to argue, I need some more clarification please. In the High Road Training Course, it says:

"You may also use the sleeper berth to extend the 14 hour limit. Any period in the sleeper berth of at least 8 consecutive hours will not count as part of the 14 hours, and therefore, would allow you to extend the time during which you could use your maximum 11 hours of driving."

Can someone provide me with some documentation showing that when the above sentence says "in the sleeper berth", the line doesn't laterally mean you have to be IN the sleeper berth. Thanks.

Out of state training

I have read and heard from various sources on the internet that if you go to a company sponsored school and have an out-of-state Drivers License, you will have to switch your DL to the state that your school is in.

My question is this. How do you do this if your residence is out of state? Will your out-of-state residence be printed on your new DL? Thanks, Mark

8 hours in sleeper berth rule

If I understand, from this website, that after you have started being on-duty, you can extend your on-duty time by being in the sleeper berth for a consecutive 8 hours. Here's my question. If, during that 8 hours, you need to use the restroom, does getting out of the truck to go in a rest stop to use the restroom, and then returning to the sleeper for the remaining of the eight hours legally defeat the consecutive 8 hours for the "8 hour sleeper berth" rule? Thanks.

When backing...

In a car, if you are backing, you can see in your rear view mirror if a car/person is in the area you are backing. If you are backing a truck, how to you deal with this blind spot?

What determines...

When you have the opportunity to go home for a couple of days, what determines if you are able to drive the truck home or leaving it at the company and drive your car home? Thanx

CDL permit

If I get my CDL permit in one state (ie. CA) and then find that I am accepted to a business sponsored school in another state (ie. TX), is the Permit I have from the CA still good in TX or do I have to take the test over again in Texas. I am not talking about these above mentioned states specifically, but two different states in general. Thanks. Mark

Need advice on shifting gears smoothly and easily...

The advice I was given applies to a 10 speed or 9 speed only. Look at your speed gage and it will almost always tell you your gear. 25 (2+5=7) shift on the tens (10, 20, 30ect) low side shift between 1000 and 1200 rpms, highside shift between 1500 and 1700 rpms. Downshift at 1000 to 1200 and rev to 1400. Now every truck varies alittle but this is just a guide and really helps if you lose a gear.

Please elaborate. Thnx.

Dash Cam

What's a good dash cam to use? Thanks

Blind Spots

I just recently found out about the blind spots on trucks. How does a trucker deal with blind spots? Can you buy blind spot mirrors that you can move from one truck to another easily? Thanks

Walmart Question

If you find a walmart parking lot that is good to stay at, what do you do if you wake up at 3am, Walmart is closed, and need to use the restroom.?

DOT Physical

Once I have the physical from the company sponsored training, if the Doctor finds that I am diabetic (I wasn't the last time I checked), will he write a prescription or will I fail the exam, be sent home, and then have to be checked by my personal physician and get medication before I can return to take the DOT physical?

Thanks Mark

Days off

Then do I understand correctly that you make you last dropoff (wherever that may be), then, while still on the clock, you drive to your destination for home-time, park the truck, log-off the clock, do what you will for several days (your off-time). Then, when your on-time comes, log in and start up the truck, drive to your first destination to pick up a load.

One thing I am trying to clarify is that you are still on company time from the time you drop off the last load til the time you arrive at your destination and log off, for down time. Is this correct?

thanks.

Days off

Thanks all for the replies. Now my next question, still pertaining to this topic is, whether the driver is at home or elsewhere, can the driver drive the truck for personal matters, sightseeing, etc. or is a personal car/car rental required?

Days off

With OTR, I understand that a driver can be on the road for weeks at a time and then have several days off. Does the driver always have to schedule his days off at home or instead of driving the truck to his home, drive it somewhere else to have his time off away from home.

ie... a driver lives in Texas and normally his dispatch will make his last load somewhere near his home. Can he have the dispatch make his last load Rhode Island if he wanted to visit RI for several days? Is this something that is frequently done? Thanks.