Comments By Conservative

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/Bristol-Hauler.jpg avatar

Posted:  1 year, 4 months ago

Cameras

I have been hanging out on YouTube lately and noticed these drivers making very quality productions. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for cameras so that I can do quality clogs once I start trucking. Thanks for any help . Stay safe!👍

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Awake or asleep

Think of it as a drone. And multiply it by two if you have an APU. It can shake to rig when it starts & stops but all & all, if you put in the hours driving? You’ll sleep like a baby regardless of any ambient noise or lack of it. 😇

Cool! Pun intended

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Awake or asleep

I was thinking today about those who drive refrigerated and an odd thought came to mind. I sleep with a fan at night which started out as just keeping cool at night. Now I struggle to sleep at night without a fan on for noise. So my thought was wether there is a comparison between fans and reefer units concerning sleep.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Wil-Trans CDL Training

I am happy to hear about the successes of others. The insights are tremendous.

Posted:  2 years ago

C.B. radio search

A good and efficient antenna is more important than extra high power! Your 102 inch whip is about the best mobile antenna you can get for your F150, however it is not practical for using on a commercial truck. It's too large. Many drivers run a basic stock 40 channel straight outa the box cb radio. I have a cobra 19 and a cobra 148GTL as a back up. I bought both used and cheap. They both work fine. Since you are home, you may want to try yard sales and swap meets. Some incredible finds have been made at those places such as good working basic radios for $2.00 and $5.00. If you are one of those persons who want to run high power and talk long distance then you are most certainly going to have to invest a lot of money for that type of gear.

I have decided on the cobra 29 series. As for the antenna, for practical purposes, the 102 will probably be a bit much to carry around the city so something like a five foot antenna will probably be the ticket. Thanks for the advice!

Posted:  2 years ago

C.B. radio search

Hello! Long time no see! I forgot what the name of this forum was so I had to browse around for a while. Then I saw in recent activity that Cz had posted, so I knew I had found tranquility base! I am looking at getting a C.B. radioto our in my f150 . Going to get a 102in antenna, but wondered about what radio I should get. Something for $60 or less. Though with the big antenna I got to thinking that an elcheapo radio with less bells an whistles would work. Features I think are best to have: instant emergency channel, Rf gain, swr gauge/meter, antenna warning indicator, anl , rf meter, and radio diagnostic mode. To find a single radio with all those features in one package is near to impossible, but those are the priority features I would like. Looked online at the midland 1001lwx and it had good reviews and features, but wondered if I needed that snazzy of a radio to transmit since I will be running the the 102 whip. Could I get the same range and reception out of say a Uniden PRO510XL or 520xl or even a bare bones cobra 19 series? Any help and advice is appreciated.

Posted:  2 years ago

I No Longer Want To Drive A Truck

Where I am at ltl shippers get serviced in minutes.

That right there is the crux of the problem. This is a common practice, especially at foodservice distributors, and has resulted in countless lost hours (not to mention lost preplanned loads) for me. Local and/or LTL trucks getting first priority has left me waiting 6 or more hours just to be assigned a door before. Warehouse receivers (you know, the guy who comes over and signs off your bills) giving local and/or LTL deliveries first priority has had me waiting in a door upwards of 4 hours to have my load received. One particular place left me sitting in the door for 6 1/2 hours for 3 pallets, all the same product, and as a result I was late to my next delivery for that load, which ended up having to be rescheduled, and they charged us a $250 rescheduling fee for the privilege.

Now, call me crazy if you like, but when I arrive on time or a little early for an appointment, I expect that you're going to have a door available for me. And once the product has been unloaded and downstacked as necessary, I expect that you're going to come verify the count and sign my bills expeditiously. Not when you get around to it, not after taking care of the local guys who just happen to keep popping in while my product sits on your dock thawing.

This practice of putting OTR trucks at the bottom of the list is absolutely ludicrous, and needs to be stopped.

Where have I heard that before ? Hmm seems like every driver I deal with has the idea (and rightfully so) that their going to get priority and fast load/unload. Now I don’t know that I’ve seen drivers wait quite 4hours a Ltl, but I can imagine it happening. Where I am at all drivers except ltl have to disconnect , so if the guards forget to call and say your load is done, to may end up waiting a little longer. Seen it happen a bunch where the guy was done hours ago , but the inside forgot to tell the guard, or the guard got distracted and didn’t call. So you probably know this, but ask the guard after two hours and if he doesn’t know, go ask the inside. But don’t be like some who call or come in every two seconds to ask about their load. That’s really annoying.

I No Longer Want To Drive A Truck

Respectfully, if you allow one detour to shut down your journey to success, you may find your rewards greatly delayed.

Remember; if you wait for all the lights to turn green, you’ll never get to the store.

If driving is not for you, better you decide that now than later.

I think I've come to the point where I've decided trucking isn't for me. Or at least not otr. I understand what you all are saying . And it's true that in any career there are going to be times where you have to sacrifice a little to make a lot. As much as I would like to pursue an otr trucking career, I just can't seem to make it work out . Seems every time I've tried to pursue it, some roadblock has been in my way. And besides all that, lately I've been having issues driving at night. So it's probably best that I give up my small ambitions anyway. But I am glad that I took the time to study the industry since it helps me to relate to the drivers I interact with as a guard since I now have some limited knowledge about the things they deal with. I realize that in any job, not everything is going to be all "green lights" , but there always seemed to be too mainy "red lights" when I considered trucking. I will continue to keep reading tt and enjoying the content though. Thanks for everything! :)

I No Longer Want To Drive A Truck

Just wanted to let you all know what's happening . So I got a job as a security guard. My assignment for the time being is to operate a truck gate at a distribution center with 59 or so docks. This has given me a different and enlightening perspective on what it can mean to drive a truck. I have seen drivers spend 6 hrs plus waiting to get loaded. And some drivers who would have been a quick drop and hook have had to wait for the trailer to be finished. And if the driver is late even through no fault of a their own, they will most likely be shoved to the curb to wait. And even being early does not guarantee quick servicing. Now I'm not saying that every D.C. Is like this ,but I would prefer not to deal with that. Being stuck for hours on end not being able to make much money (except for detention pay) would really get under my skin. I'm not saying I never want to drive a big truck though. Where I am at ltl shippers get serviced in minutes. But that may not be the case everywhere.

I got a b!

So I went and got my physical today. I passed it all and except for the fact that I had a stroke/seizure when I was eight ( I'm now 26) I would have been perfectly fine. But since I had that stroke (that I am fully recovered from) they say that they need me to get a neurological exam. But from what I read online if a person is incident free and under management then everything is ok . What say you? Are these people off their rocker or what?

I got a b!

And bananas are good for your blood pressure.....not sure the dancing ones help though.........

Have to try them. But it's hard to find the dancing ones. I'll ask at my local stores . I'll be like ,"excuse me, do you have dancing bananas?" Oh this will be fun!

I got a b!

Just tested out today for my class b cdl permit. If I can get my bp in range I can take the physical and start training to drive school bus.

No experience No Cdl flatbed training companies

I should of clarified, I don't have a CDL and he said because of where I live, there are no opportunities for me unless I have a license. All I have is permit and I was wanting to do the sponsorship program. There wouldn't be any openings he said until next year, but even then he said they normally don't recruit out of my area.

They told me that the next class that I would be able to get into starts in January. So it's. not all because of where you live . Some of it has to do with their class sizes. Gonna check with some other companies and see if I can't get this trucking thing started sooner cause I don't wanna wait til January.

No experience No Cdl flatbed training companies

That's great news man, I've got a year and a half here so far and can't complain. If you have any questions I'll try to answer if I have the time. Congratulations

Btw. What gloves would you recommend for chaining ? Trying to get things together before they call for orientation so im not rushing around . Thanks

No experience No Cdl flatbed training companies

I've got great news and it has nothing to do with car insurance! Lol! I applied and am conditionally approved for Orr flatbed with Maverick. Feels like a dream come true! Almost too good to be true. As I said, I still worry about how it's going to work out , but I've prayed a lot about this and I think that so far God has been working things out. Thanks to all who supported me in my quest for knowledge and endured my multiple questions and changes of opinion. I'm sure that there will be more times in the future when I will need the advice of articles and forums discussions down the road (pun intended). I will keep you all posted.

No experience No Cdl flatbed training companies

Talked to a flatbed driver from Alro Steel. He was mostly positive about his local/job and echoed what I've been reading on here and other places in that once he got into flatbedding, he wouldn't want to pull any other type of freight. It was great to have someone repeat to my face what I've been reading . Even though I've got some jitters about it still (like other newbies) I am going to go with Maverick if they accept me. Reviews I've read are mostly good once you discount what the disgruntled former employees say and the general negativity. Also, from what I can tell the pay is good and they have a short commitment. I plan on staying with whatever company I choose for at least a year if not two, but if after six months I decide I can't stand it, I can leave with no debt.

No experience No Cdl flatbed training companies

Thanks everyone for the responses. It has helped me sort some things out. I'll be calling places tomorrow and verifying info. Then I'll make my choice. My last day at Walmart is this Wednesday so hoping to get started on something pretty soon after. Thanks again.

No experience No Cdl flatbed training companies

I see that TMC requires one to have their cdl permit. Should I consider this a down side or a non factor since other companies do not have this stipulation? Also, is it wise to consider flatbed as a newbie , or should I stick with dry/refrigerator truck? I like the advantages that flatbeds offer and am not afraid of hard work or extremely hot/cold weather as I have endured both as a traffic flagger . Sorry if I come off as a flip flipper, but I've had jobs I thought would be great experiences turn out horribly so I'm trying to avoid that. But I realize a lot of times one can't really know until one gives it a try.

Regional home weekends Trainee?

I'm leaving tomorrow to go to Swift's orentation and then out with my trainer. Once I'm done I'm going into their dedicated division and I'll be home daily. So there are companies out there who will hire guys right out of school and put them in the type of situation you are looking for.

Running Bear, it's not just that there are "some companies" that will do this. Location is one of the major factors in determining whether a new driver can get in on something like what you're hoping to do.

You also have got to realize the risk you take by starting your career this way. Generally, a home daily driving job will have a lot more challenges involved for a rookie. It's a fairly common theme we see. A rookie driver gets a local position, has a few issues due to the maneuvering skills needed for the job, then gets let go. Now you've been fired from a trucking job, you've no OTR experience, and no one will even consider you.

It's a bad position to be in, and can be completely avoided by taking the prudent path of developing yourself as a driver while gaining that very valuable OTR experience. I completely understand wanting to be home, but many folks have let that desire derail the very career they were pursuing because they misunderstood the ramifications and consequences of not being properly prepared for the rigorous demands of a home daily trucking job.

The learning curve is steep, the consequences of not being prepared are great.

Thanks oldtimer! Very valuable advice there. Guess I hadn't looked at it quite that way. Makes a whole lot of sense. And another thing is that local will possibly require more in town/city driving which from what I've hears can be a pain. So to have to do that daily with not much variation would not help me develop as a driver and would become monotonous. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think it has less room for advancement . Loving the responses . Thanks again.!

No experience No Cdl flatbed training companies

I am focusing on companies that solely do flatbed

Why is that? There's no reason to do that.

TMC does indeed fit your preferences. You can apply to TMC and a bunch of other companies right here on TruckingTruth:

Apply For Company-Sponsored Training

I thought that maybe companies that were solely focused on flatbed might have better training in some areas such as load securement etc. But maybe it isn't that complicated in the first place. I do see the point of going with a multi division company. Just trying to sort everything out and find the best options.