Comments By James Skattebo-Rhoades

Posted:  5 years ago

Time sensitive! Breaking the news to the Family that I'm becoming a truck driver!

Just tell him it's what u want to do. He could get negative about it and have things against it. Your an adult. U make ur own decisions. Yes it's good to have the support of your family at home. When I told my family they were ok with it. Ita a good time to get out there and learn so U have the winter expirence with your trainer.

Posted:  5 years ago

I know you are 😄

Posted:  5 years ago

Look at it again. I have been on a member for 2 years. Just haven;t been active

Posted:  5 years ago

Have CDL, no experience

That's funny. But I'm not an imposter.

Posted:  5 years ago

Have CDL, no experience

Daniel I don't plan to lease. They can talk up a storm about it but I won't buy in. I will stay company. I will get my time in a move To a different company if need be. My recruiter told me starting at .33 cents a mile. I am keeping that email and asking to have it in writing.

Posted:  5 years ago

Have CDL, no experience

It does help. I am getting excited and nervous at the same time. I know I will do fine. Havent quite set a date yet, but it will most likely happen either the week of new years or the following. Just want to finish the holiday season out where I am now, and have a little cash reserve on standby.

Posted:  5 years ago

Recalculating: GPS leads truck driver onto foot bridge in Milwaukee’s Lake Park

Honestly how can you not know ur not on the road?? Ur hitting trees and it went to a narrow path. confused.gif

Have CDL, no experience

Thanks for the reminder. I knew rpm had to be somewhere but I know each truck is different

Just tell the examiner your not used to that specific gear system. Trucks perform diffrent and these examiners need to understand that. I think they wanna see if you know the basics of shifting and when done right don't make the tranny drop on the interstate

Thanks. From what I've been told the company road tests aren't incredibly hard. Is that true?

I'm too nervous!

Hit apply take a breath and breathe. Right noes the perfect time. Get out there with a trainer while its winter so U have someone to show u its not bad. Have faith in yourself.

Quality Drivers, Celadon School Indianapolis Idiana

Thank you for this. I'm looking at trucking as a career but being female i was slightly more worried. This is very helpful!

Morgan there is no need to be worried. There are plenty of women drivers out there. Some companies have more then others.

Have CDL, no experience

Western express i hear will hire if you have but never used your cdl. They have programs but require a 9 month commitment.

I checked into it and yes they do have them. Downside is, I am not in there hire zone. I am for now going to stay with Central seems how they are going to get me in for the road test. I just gotta remember the down shifting. I remember backing turn the wheel opposite of the way you want the trailer to go. Anyone have reminders/ helpful hints on remembering the down shift?

Thanks Guys and Gals

Have CDL, no experience

I am about to head out to the TA here in Boise, to go see if there are any Central Trucks fueling or what not. Going to talk to a few drivers first hand to see how the company is now that Swift owns them. I am going to start to count down the days until I am in Lewiston. Also, does anyone know what there road test is like?

Happy Trucking

James

Have CDL, no experience

Thanks for the help guys. As it sits now I will be going to Central/Swift in Lewiston Idaho. Only have to do orientation and road test and they will send me out with a mentor. Anyone here graduate swift? What is their road test like?

Have CDL, no experience

Go get em James! Heck, you can always walk away from trucking anytime. It's not like you're stuck there for years and years. So go for it! Get back out there rolling again and take it a day at a time.

smile.gif

Thanks Brett. I appreciate it. I am planning to leave just after New Year. Gives me time to get a lil bit of money saved up.

Have CDL, no experience

I just talked to a recruiter from Central, he told me that I would come in and take a basic road test. If I pass that then they will send me out with a trainer for the 28 days/2000 miles. I am going to be looking at after the first of the year for going out. So lets get me pepped up and ready, so I don't back down at the last minute again Brett.

Have CDL, no experience

Right now I am looking at Swift/Central as their terminals are only about a 4 hour drive for me. I put in a application tonight with Central so hopefully they contact me soon. I have had my license and letting it go to waste. Getting out there and driving was my reason for getting my CDL a couple years ago.

Have CDL, no experience

I know id have to do the one on one with a trainer, I just wasn't sure if I would have to start from the bottom again.

Hi All,

So after some time getting some personal matters corrected, I am finally ready to hit the road. Only problem is, I haven't been out on the road yet. I graduated from Sage in 2012 with my Class A CDL. I am wanting to finally get out on the road. I don't know if I would need to go through a full course again, since I still have my license? Do any companies offer a quick refresher course? If anyone has answers I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks