Profile For Art A.

Art A.'s Info

2 years, 9 months ago

Art A.'s Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

Art A.'s Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 months, 1 week ago

Metal coil frustration.

Thank you all for the responses.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Metal coil frustration.

@ Brett Aquila

“ So if there's a conflict in the definitions I would suspect it's coming from the different writers of the two different manuals. “

Well you are right.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I also just checked the towing manual and the chain rating is High Test instead of High. During the test they give you a print out of the chain tables from the Metal coil booklet so I guess you would always pick the wrong answer if you didn’t know better.

0901861001549299770.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Metal coil frustration.

I don't have much time before I gotta roll so I'll be quick.

Question 3 on the chains:

3. 3/8 chain is rated with 5,400 lbs. the chain should have a rating of? ( the chart is on page 2.8 of the booklet )

A. G70 B. H C. HT

0201750001549294155.jpg

In the table you showed me it says “ high test “. In the booklet I have it says “ high “.

Thank you for the clarification on question 4.

0246393001549298875.jpg

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Metal coil frustration.

Https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ai9GRFbqA1BwhSKXurppGaaYWz5U

The booklet says one Direct tie down on each diagonal. ( Securement option one ). Looks like it’s forming an “ X “.

But I thought a direct tie down was attached to the article / cargo itself.

As far as I understand Indirect means over the article / cargo with 50% Tension downwards.

As for the screen shot, I picked half when I was doing the “ practice test “ questions that somehow didn’t register.

So it’s 50% or not. Still kinda confused.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Metal coil frustration.

@ Brett Aquila

Do I have to Be signed in for that to count toward some record?

@ Chris M

I think the answer to question 3 is “ H “ , a friend pointed it out to me once he looked back on the booklet and told me he instant failed by selecting G 70.

Also I have hauled a 53” Van, the insides are metal and the floor is wood. I can’t picture the coil in the vertical position being secured to anything. That trailer had flimsy pieces of wood to secure it, sorry it just doesn’t seem feasible. It doesn’t have anything on the floor to wrap a chain through.

@ ∆_Danielsahn_∆

Thank you, exactly my point.

@ LDRSHIP

But I have taken other ones that I absolutely will not use “ P “ , “ S “ , “ W “ ( actually have a slight curiosity about towing ). I am just waiting to slap them onto the license.

Also I can’t survive in another state, I have delivered to a few of them and they just lack the abuse nyc happens to have. Keeps you on edge.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Metal coil frustration.

Not working as a flatbed driver. I have have looked through the 5 questionnaires and the questions on then NY test aren’t covered there. Which is why I tried to word them as much as I could. The metal coil with Indirect tie downs is the one which makes no sense to me.

I worked as a city driver and don’t understand where the anchor points would be in a van. That thing was a fragile as a tin can. ( I seen a fork lift shred the wall ).

Some of the things such as tarps are not on the ny metal coil test. ( the difference between this website and the test itself, not that I don’t appreciate it ).

I have a joke with a friend of mine that soon after passing the exam, ny will have statement explaining the metal coil is no longer required.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Metal coil frustration.

I know people probably have spoken about this and the fact it doesn’t exist in many states.

I have taken the metal coil Endorsement 3 times and have failed. Yes I have taken the metal coil practice tests via this website and have passed.

On my first test I failed on the 14 th question. The second test in the 19 th and the 3rd on the fifth.

Either I am lacking some common sense or I have not read the book enough times.

I have read the damn thing twice. I have taken and passed every single endorsement on my first try. The metal coil is the last one.

I am beyond frustrated, feeling as though the booklet they give me is outdated. Trying to reason that there is something wrong.

I have recalled a few questions from the test. The wording may not be accurate but I don’t understand a few things.

So here goes. The question is not the phrasing as the test.

1. A 30,000 lb metal coil is in the vertical position it is secured by 3 Indirect tie downs. The minimum of each tie down is.

A. 10,000 lbs B. 5,000 lbs C. 30,000 lbs

2. A metal coil with eyes vertical is 30,000 lbs and is in a van trailer. The indirect tie downs are how much / or rated what?

A. 30,000 lbs B. 5,000 lbs C, 10,000 lbs

A. G70 B. H C. HT

( I think the answer is ” H “ )

4. A metal coil is lengthwise. What method of tie downs should be used?

A. 2 Indirect tiedowns parallel through the eye.

B. 2 Indirect tie downs through the eyeb forming an “ X “ .

C. Two tie downs of the top of the coil .

( I chose the parallel option on my last test and it auto failed for me, because I swear the “ 2 over the top was wrong since the picture showed one Indirect tiedown over the top ).

Thank you for your time. Note: I just want all of the endorsements. I have obtained the passenger and the school bus. I don’t want to drive a couch bus or a school bus.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Local job possible?

What is the work called where the trailer has like a shipping container on it? Is that a specific type of work I can start doing? I like them because they are smaller than the 50ft trailer I trained on.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Local job possible?

No. I know that. I payed my way through a private school. I have one to a dump truck company and they could owner told mehe could train me how to operate the dump truck itself and do sample routes. I would have to stay long term with his company or I would have to pay a fee to get out.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Local job possible?

Did some thinking after did the doable post. Went down to the local police station to find out some info.

I wanted the CDL before I started as something to fall back on. So I can get a job anywhere I go. I understand I still have time and am wasting it by bickering and whining like a child. So I have decided to find a trucking company. Stay there for 8 months to a year. Do my best to stay in shape and then go to police academy.

Yes Mr. Aquila, you are right.

I will just make the most of my time. I just hope they won't make me sign some kind of contract for having their training.

Well as far as the career thing goes I don't know where I fit really. When I was younger I had friends who were in the medical field. So I went to school to do that. Then some went to post office. They said it's good so I did that too. Then I found it was too boring and not enough of a challenge. I wanted more responsibility. Then some left the post office and became cops or satnitation workers. Knowing I only completed a year in college I realized I need another year before I can apply.

So now I will go otr. Make money. Come back have enough experience for a local job. Go to school while doing so. And try to get into the best shape I for this entire time.

I know it could be hard but I want it. And Im stubborn so I think I have the mannerism.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Local job possible?

Also, people somehow get it in their head that they want to work for a small carrier. I'm not sure why, but it seems people will think it's more like a family. Well I can assure you it's not. Here's a couple of articles I've written on the subject:

A friend of mine took me on a roll off route a few times. The drivers saw each other throughout the day. Whether they were re fueling or saw each other at construction sites. Everyone knew each other. Got introduced to some good people.

During school instead of leaving the area. I decided to go to a truck stop. Most of the people were rude. Helped on guy with his tarp after we spoke about the " life". After meeting one guy that was nice and staying there for 3 hours. I don't think much of the class A drivers. Sorry I just don't.

After seeing that role off guy and knowing he sees his family every night. I thought I could get something like that too.

He keeps telling me everytime to find out how to join the union so I get the same job he has. When I was in school he was pleading so I don't get the class A. He said it's a waste of time. Now each time I see him and tell him I may have to go for a year to otr. He gets upset.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Local job possible?

Because I have as taken on a friend's roll off route twice. The drivers there see each other at least twice a day or run into each other on a few separate occasions a day. Either while refueling or on a construction site and shoot the $&%@ for some time. It looks like fun. I was shown around to see what it was like. I really enjoyed that. Everyone was nice. Not like most of the people I met at truck stops, when I decided to go to one for the hell of it. I don't think much of the culture of Class A to be honest. Helped one guy with a tarp at the stop after we got to talking.

And after the roll off. The guy that took me on it just went home to his wife and kids.

Granted he has bee doing it since he was little. Has over 30 years of experience in Europe. Told me it doesn't count for anything here. So he had to start over as a rookie.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Local job possible?

I did the fingerprints for the Hazmat and apparently did something wrong. So I had to re do the Haz 44 application they sent me. I was waiting to apply back to yrc because I one of my school instructors works there. I guess I don't really want to go anywhere else ( besides FedEx ) because I don't have a friendly face there.

I sent the application back thinking maybe it would take another month. I have been applying for part time work but most Van Delivery companies wouldn't take me. ( like mini van / courier van ). I have a clean record.

On a side note. I am worried about getting out shape while on the road. Im not in the best shape. But I really need to lose it for the cop exam.

But all of you are right. I am not getting younger and time is wasting away.

Also I am worried about screwing up the clean license I have now. I heard there are a 1,000 regulations for class A driving.

Have to brush up on the FAQ of Team driving if there is one here. Maybe it's not so lonely.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Local job possible?

Hello. After joining this site ans whining like a child or how to get the license. I mustered up the Inner man in me and went to a driving school.

My instructor told me to get the class B license so I would at least get an idea what trucking is like and see if it's for me. Of course being stubborn as was, I didn't listen. I failed a few times . but then the moons aligned and I got the class A in September. Got doubles and tanker.

Since then I have been searching high and low for work that would allow me to work for a small company and not travel over the road.

Got try out with some carting company in upstate NY. When I arrived there I thought to myself boy have u taken the schools trucks for granted. I didnt abuse them or anything but if something fell from the dash onto the " floor " it would hit the ground and fall through the floor.

Anyway I tried out for their road test. There was smoke coming from the 5 speed clutch and they said that the trucks are old and need special attention. They told me to engage the tractor brake / valve at every light since the service brakes would give out.

Anyway, after screwing that up I have been searching and searching and cant find a single company that would hire me. I thought this entire time. Well here is an industry that wants employees. But maybe I was wrong and wasted my saving getting this license.

Is going to the Otr companies like some sort of rite of passage?

Are there Companies that are east region only?

Is it easier to go with panther and do their class B OTR?

After this um " experience " I think he was right all along. I think I really screwed up.

Thabk you for your time.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Losing water weight. Salt water?

I mix the apple cider vinegar with clear choice water. It contains aspartame which is known to give cancer. But makes the vinegar taste OK.

My diet is usually about 1500 calories per day. No sweets. No alcohol. Once a week I mix the vinegar with the water. I do not eat anything. But drink the water when I feel thirsty. 2 hours before bed I sat something so there won't be a stomach ulcer.

I thought I would lose more water weight than that.

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Losing water weight. Salt water?

Is there a way to lose the water weight. I mean to keep knocking it out as if regenerates? I mean I have been drinking vinegar. The issue I have run into while cycling is I gained muscle. Therefore became heavy. I think I should lose the muscle too somehow. Is it possible to lose the fat and the muscle. Then rebuild only the muscle?

Posted:  1 year, 5 months ago

Losing water weight. Salt water?

Hello. I dont know where to post this. I have asked in the past how to lose weight. I don't know whether it was on this forum or another. A user suggested to me to lose water weight by drinking basically a gallon or liter of water mixed with sea salt or something like that.

The user suggested to me to look at their weight loss thread. Where there are instructions and so forth.

Is there a thread like that here?

Thank you in advance.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

A or B? What sections?

Thank you.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Home each day exist?

They would have to have me employed for at least 3 months to be considered for union. Brett is correct the drivers I spoke to who work for demolition make $38 / hour. They told me an average work day is 12 hours. They told me they just fall asleep sitting up in the cab. Then if they have a packer truck that day. They come away with at least 200 lb of copper.

Yes seniority is everything. Its the difference between having A / C in the truck. Having an automatic VS manual. Having a better route.

The largest concern they told me is having an unlimited plan on their phones / tablets.

They don't care how many tickets they get as long as they are not hydrant tickets and moving violations.

I tried applying but most need at least a year of driving experience. Or 6 months of roll of.

But, thank you. I will take your advice.

Also is $400 to $500 a week for 6 months ok as a rookie?

Is 44 cpm normal?

Thank you for your time.

Posted:  1 year, 6 months ago

Home each day exist?

Take care of friends mom.

One of the boroughs.