Comments By Mark F. ( DAYBREAKER )

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/images/north-slope.jpg avatar

Can I get some clarity on something please?

Thanks bud, I'm sure it wont be a problem, but none the less its there for the asking.

I have a record as long as Texas and I been driving for a year now you won't have any problems

Test out day!

Good Luck! you got this! It's all you :)

Good luck man!

Best way to contact a potential co. sponsored school?

I answered my own question. Google is a beautiful thing, when I remember its there. Transportation Workers Identification Credentials

I was able to figure it out and I filled out an application with Jim Palmer and no kidding as soon as I clicked send I got a call from them. literally took 15 seconds. I did the same for Prime and used your name Rainy as a referral. Did not hear from them as of yet.

Silly question though. What is a TWIC? It's on the app and I didn't know what it was so clicked no. I figured if I knew I had one I would know what it was lol Moving forward I am. Be safe Mark F.

I filled out an online application with Swift and had a response in less than 30 minutes. Did 90% of my correspondence w/ the recruiter via email. These people sit in front of their computers all day. My recruiter always responded promptly. Good Luck!

Best way to contact a potential co. sponsored school?

Best way to contact a potential co. sponsored school?

Thanks Kirsten, I certainly will drop your name as a referral. I must be missing the applications tab somewhere. I cannot seem to find it. I'm really not a needy person :) just need alittle help getting started I guess. Mark

Apply for a job as a driver online and select the field for. "No CDL" They'll contact you fairly quickly. If you don't hear back from Prime right away give them a call or 10 lol. I hear their recruiters stay busy.

Prime. Apply online. If no one calls u then 417 866 0001

Ask for gracie or Derek in recruiting... and if you are willing use my name Kirsten Rothlander ... we get bonuses for sending people to prime. I love it here and if you have any problems... be sure to let me know cause I'll get you in touch with the right people.

Thanks

Jim Palmer Trucking based in Montana

Where can I find the application for employment for JP? Little help please? Thanks, Mark

I applied with Jim Palmer and was also transfered to Wil Trans since they are closer to home. The application was simple and everyone did seem friendly and like they wanted to know you personally which was a great feeling. However, since they are such a small company you really DO need to have all your ducks in a row when it comes to employment, background check information, and so on. They gave me quite some flack (which I feel they were valid in doing so) about my employment history/gaps and hopping. They did seem very interested in my story and my hunger for becoming a trucker. Depending on what they tell me tomorrow morning I may choose them over Swift if all goes well.

Best way to contact a potential co. sponsored school?

Thank you Sue. Any thoughts good or bad on my choices? I have been researching for days and these seem to fit the best.

Mark

Best way to contact a potential co. sponsored school?

Morning, Can I get some advise on the best way to get the ball rolling for enrollment on how to contact a specific Company sponsored school? I'm looking at Jim Palmer, Prime, Swift, Roehl for schooling. Thanks, Mark

Can I get some clarity on something please?

Morning, That's what I thought. Long story short, my ex-father in law was a BSO deputy (Broward Sherriff Officer) in Ft. laud. and he was the arresting officer as well. He set me up and I had to plea out cause I was broke and stupid. Anyway, He was a dirty cop and didn't like me to much and told me He would make sure I got out of his daughters life. And He did. Boy does that bring back some nasty feelings. The poor ******* died a painful death ( cancer ) and I was at the funeral for my daughters support. The ex wife and I have always been friends however. Back in 81 things were different than they are now. That was a long time ago!!!! Since then, like I said clean as a window pane. Just going to move forward and see what happens.

Have a great day and be safe. Mark

Ditto to the above responses. Companies typically have a requirement as to how old they want the felony to be. However, considering it was 35 years ago, I don't see that being an issue, depending on the felony. Only thing you can do is apply and find see what is said. Worst that can happen is they say no!

Can I get some clarity on something please?

Evening ya'll, I was just talking with a driver in my neighborhood about my plan to get my CDL and hit the road. Here is the question! I caught a felony charge 35 yrs ago and since 1985 have only got 1 speeding ticket. Nothing more. Squeaky clean ncic and dmv. Should that cause me any trouble? My neighbor says prob. not but to ask ya'll for some advice. Thanks, Mark F.

Sounds very confusing

Thank you sir, Appreciate the help. And you hit it on the head. All the talk of hrs on /off, trip planning, fueling up. I understand its all monitored. Like anything else it will come in time and practice never hurts. I've been studying and taking the pre-tests on here and actually doing pretty well. a 94 is my low score so far out of 18 tests taken. With quite a few 100% thrown in. I've considered these company sponsored schools to check in with in the order they appeal to me. Jim Palmer Trucking Swift Prime Roehl

Standing by for some feedback if ya'll have time. Be safe Mark

Mark, it if is the hours of service part that seems confusing, well it is at first. You can learn a whole lot about this stuff by going through our High Road Training Program. I recommend you get started right away - it will take you a good couple of weeks or better to really go through that stuff in your spare time. It will be a priceless education for your preparation for the permit exams, and the section on logs will give your career a real boost with the understanding you'll have over all the other rookie drivers who will be really struggling with their time management problems.

Drunk drivers

Wow! I got a visual and anything could have gone sideways real quick. Good Job! Be safe out there. Mark F.

I like to drive the same shift you do. But this was the first real encounter I've had with a drunk driver. Scary!!

I can't believe there weren't more cops out. I saw at least 4 drunk drivers and not a single cop.... Wth?

Sounds very confusing

Morning drivers, Reading all the posts and really enjoying all the honesty when a new driver or trainee is complaining about something. But what seems confusing is QUALCOMM. I'm sure once I'm out there with ya'll I will have a better understanding. But just reading the drive time/down time/fuel time ect ect sounds like its confusing. BTW, after all the great words of wisdom about my options to get my CDL, I've decided to go with one of the sponsored company training schools once I get all my ducks in a row. To pay 10k for a license is crazy. Bretts explanation of why they do that cleared up a lot. Much appreciated .... Keep the wheels moving and be safe Mark F.

Trying to decide what school to attend to get my CDL

Gotcha, Thanks Brett. Appreciate the help! Be safe Mark F

Here is our information on Paid CDL Training Programs. Each company listed has four or five pages of information so read through it and see what the various companies have to offer.

The reason that school you're speaking with is five months and $10,000 instead of a month and $4,000 is because they've set up a course that's long enough to qualify students for Federal backing on student loans. The Feds won't back a loan to a program unless it's a certain length. Most truck driving school programs are plenty long enough to teach you the basics for getting your CDL but they're not long enough to qualify for Federal backing for loans so their students rarely get any sort of financial aid.

So there's no reason to go through a long, expensive program like that other than to qualify for a student loan. That's why they offer that.

Trying to decide what school to attend to get my CDL

Morning, Thanks for all the great advise. I've been looking into a few schools like swift, prime, cr England, and before I make a final decision which way I want to go, I will definitely be calling PETE the recruiter and cxl my appointment for Monday with financial aide. I can't believe the difference in price. The bottom line is I want / need a CDL to start my next chapter in life. So now it's just a matter of choosing a company to apply to for schooling. Be safe. Mark

The other thing to consider is - no matter HOW LONG the non-company school is - you are STILL going to have to get on with a company as a "recent grad".

Which means, teaming with a trainer for finishing as no company is going to solo someone right out of school.

540 hours may be a great course - but it's kinda overkill (especially the price). Requirements are 160 hours - most Vo-Tech courses are twice that.

Course I did at McFatter (in Davie) was 320 hours - including 1,000 miles on the road.

Rick

Trying to decide what school to attend to get my CDL

Well I've not heard one driver say it was a smart move to pay that much money and in 5 mths I may have a perm. job somewhere. I'm convinced that there is another way. Thanks for all the advise drivers. I have a friend ( also a driver ) who's wife is on her way to TX for CDL training with CR England. That's also an option. I live in NH so I may have to travel to get to my school where ever it may be. I want to be on the road so I may as well start with school. lol What a thought hah? Be safe! Mark F.

Just a starter list:

Swift

Roehl

Prime

Jim Palmer/Wil-Trans

Maverick

Celadon

I know there are more, I'm just drawing a blank right now!

Trying to decide what school to attend to get my CDL

Thanks for the quick replies. BTW Rick, I am a Davie, Florida born and raised transplant to New Hampshire. lol As far as my disability? I'm deaf in my right ear from the surgery, but I'm told I can get a waiver if I can past the whisper test? I have an appointment with my Dr. this month so I was going to ask him his thoughts. The class is 540 hrs. with 240 behind the wheel. The rest is classroom. They guarantee you will pass as long as it takes or as many times as it takes. Their job placement is 75% of grads land jobs. On my 3rd week I will start meeting with company recruiters who will take me on once I have my CDL. I was in sales for 18 yrs and I explained that to Pete the recruiter/salesman. I know his job is to get me to sign and he is done with me. He said no of course. :) Do ya'll have any suggestions on companies that train and hire. I'm sure there are plenty.

Be safe. Mark F.

BTW my school was $4k and affiliated with a community college.

Trying to decide what school to attend to get my CDL

Good afternoon drivers, I'm a 54 yr. old who has been out of work for the past 4 yrs. and things are really tight. I've always said I was going to go OTR if I ever lost my job for any reason. I was at the same company for 18 yrs. when I had to have a brain tumor removed and sitting in front of a computer for 8 hrs. wasn't an option any longer. I was a regional mgr. and have since been on disability. Ok! I've decided now is the time to make the move I've always wanted to do. The wife is 100% on board after almost 30 yrs. I guess she is ok with some alone time. :) I had a recruiter come by today from NETTTS tractor trailer school and lay out a plan. I have to meet with financial aide Monday morning to see how I can pay 10,295.00 for a 5 month school. That's m-f 7am - 12 noon for 5 months. I'm wandering if applying to a company paid training with a contract is a better way to go. I know that they own you until your debt is paid. I've heard of companies that find a reason ( moving violation ) for example to fire you just before your contract is up and you are obligated to pay them the cost of the training in full or even prorated. Can I get some thoughts from anyone with the same dilemma or experience and what should I do. Thanks in advance. Be safe. Mark F.