Profile For MC1371

MC1371's Info

Minneapolis, MN

Rookie Solo Driver

MC1371 On The Web

1 year, 8 months ago

MC1371's Bio

No Bio Information Was Filled Out. Must be a secret.

MC1371's Photo Gallery

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

Getting OFF the road, finally!

Say hi to Ronny if he's still around.

Posted:  3 months, 2 weeks ago

2018 Best Fleets To Drive For

Bigger companies (some, at least) are caring less and less about you. All they want is your butt in that seat. Smaller companies are, on the other hand, getting better and better

Somebody's been spending too much time on the other forums. The top tier drivers here work for multiple different companies and yet none of them have mentioned how they're being mistreated. Amazing how doing ones job the most effective, SAFE way are treated differently.

Preach Brother!

In full disclosure, when I hit my one yr mark with Swift I shopped around.

2 of the companies on that list said "Sorry, we can't match what you're making now".

But before it looks like I'm bashing anyone. Were all different and have different goals, wants and needs.

I've gotten used to running regional, the pay is solid, and I rarely have to interact with anyone in the office.

Posted:  4 months, 1 week ago

Switching Flatbed to Reefer

Top 25 last year Top 25 refrigerated carriers

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

I Like This Guy! A Video From Trucker Joshua

Ah, finally someone kinda normal.

I was thinking of joining Palmer just so I could track down Ally and put a sock in her mouth.... (the singing narrative drove me nuts)

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

Trying to find work after Swift termination

Glad you made it here Susan. Just wish I could have convinced you last Jan.

Almost every mistake you've made this past year has been covered here.

I know you'll get something. Just going to have to be patient a little longer.

BTW dumb question. Did they give you the option of going back to the Company side? You had a couple of bumps, but no worse than some of the knuckleheads they keep around. Yup, you were in over your head with the lease but that shouldn't make completely untouchable.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

T minus 3 weeks until swift

Bryan, my excitement hit home today. Today was my first day at SWIFT Lewiston, ID. It was just like everyone on here said it would be. Bunch of folks left without even doing the drug test when they found out SWIFT officially started their hair test today. It was kind of funny really. So yes they do both for those who are wondering. I'm in a special situation because i'm on vacation from my other job. So if SWIFT doesn't want me I still have my old job to fall back on. I don't know if I'll do the diary or not because I think it's been pretty well established what to expect thanks to this site.

Good luck to you

That has to be an awesome place to train! Can't think of a better place to learn how to run a hill.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

THIS ONE HAS ME CONFUSED

Serah, Just saw this.

**When you get odd ones like this, double check with your DM. Most of Swift scheduling is computer modeled. It may very well be you have a large pick up and delivery window.

Unless it's called out as JIT or strict window (Target-Wal-Mart-Amazon) you might have a larger cushion to work with so you're not forced into an 8/10 or pushing excessively hard to make it.

Posted:  4 months, 2 weeks ago

What If Question - OTR Hot or Cold

I'm one of the weirdos that likes to drive with the window down... So hot it is.

Posted:  4 months, 4 weeks ago

Winter driving tips for new drivers?

Do NOT use the trailer brake lever to "drift" the trailer through corners!!

Think everyone else got the basics.

"Never" is the best time to try this...seriously?

G-town, Just a little levity. Don't want people getting too bunged up.

One thing to know, plan, adjust.

Another to stress out about the million variables.

Posted:  5 months ago

Qualcomm

I am with Melton but thanks for your reply. The biggest issue I have is annotating fuel stops and going to sleeper/off duty. I have also been known to log 2-3 hour post trips hahaha.

If you are with Swift remember they all come in pairs, and in order.

1. Arrived Shipper 2. Loaded.

3-4 Additional Stops.

5. Arrived Final 6. Empty

For the "on duty" notes turn off the truck at every stop, this will automatically put you in on duty and stop your drive clock. *Just remember to add, pickup, fuel, delivery pre/Post trip

"Post Trips" set the timer on your phone for 30min. As long as you shut off the truck you'll be in on duty status. Maybe find different chime sounds for 30min break, post trip.

The fuel one.. You'll get used to after time. It was my number one miss when I started.. Got a "Safety Reminder" about them. *I thought I was covered by just having the On Duty status when I turned off the truck.

Posted:  5 months ago

Winter driving tips for new drivers?

Do NOT use the trailer brake lever to "drift" the trailer through corners!!

Think everyone else got the basics.

Posted:  5 months ago

Qualcomm

If you are with Swift remember they all come in pairs, and in order.

1. Arrived Shipper 2. Loaded.

3-4 Additional Stops.

5. Arrived Final 6. Empty

Posted:  5 months ago

Automatic Versus Manual Transmissions: My Experience Thus Far

I'm not in my truck just now, but I do believe that shifter handle has a selector for "M" and "A". It's not a button, but the top half of that handle is a side switch. Slide to "M" and don't forget to shift each gear.

Button/slide switch. Long press in towards steering wheel will engage manual mode. If you do not or cannot get Manual to appear on your display bring it in to the shop.

Posted:  5 months ago

Barr nunn, marten transport or crete carrier!? :)

Friend I have went to Crete after some issues with his previous carrier. Since he had less than 6mos he had to do retraining with one of their mentors. After that he's never been happier, makes solid 1300+ every week.

Posted:  5 months ago

Automatic Versus Manual Transmissions: My Experience Thus Far

I agree with some of your points. The lag at stop signals is the one that really annoys me. Especially if you're almost stopped and get a green

Conversely, in traffic or city driving my left knee loves the auto. Heavy loads and a 13spd are not happy making in stop and go traffic.

*Everyone I've talked to agrees the Cascadias are dogs on hills even when you manual shift the auto.

To manual shift just slap the stalk forward if you want a lower gear early. For going down and holding a gear push the button on the end of the stalk in for 5 sec until you see Manual show up on the display. Then push/pull till you get the gear desired.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Independence, Missouri Caves

Just did them yesterday. Tight!!!

Slow and steady is the game. Nobody acts impatient in there that I could tell.

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Spare Parts And Tools You Should Carry In Your Truck

Brett, Lots of good suggestions here. But as you're setting up your next article try and break down by.

Shop Issued. Personal purchase.

Only mentioning because a few in here are in my book must haves, but you'll have to buy (hammer, vice grips, tape, zips)

My original list was items you can usually get from the shop free and good items to have onboard.

TIA

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

Spare Parts And Tools You Should Carry In Your Truck

Not sure I've seen this one covered before. Recently helped out a guy who had just upgraded with setting up/flushing out his Qualcomm and I remembered the case of OMG/Holy Schnikies I had and the stuff I wish I'd known to get before taking off on my first solo.

So, my list of things you should get off the shop before you roll. *Note, these are shop truck items and not personal gear.

Fuses

Spare turn bulbs

Wiper blades

Gladhand grommets

Wiper fluid

Oil

Load bars

Chains *Ask someone how to lay out and hang if they're still in the bag.

That's my short list. Most shops will make sure you have some but not all of these.

Side note, end of year coming up... Are all your permits and tags up to date?

Posted:  5 months, 1 week ago

OMGosh. Just Received Driver Of The Month Award!

wtf.gif

Just kidding! Congrats!

Posted:  5 months, 3 weeks ago

Living with your Adaptive Cruise Control

Dumb question...

When the system slaps on the Jake in response to a vehicle slowing in front of you.....

Do the brake lights come on?

***Asking for a friend