Comments By MC1371

https://cdn.truckingtruth.com/avatars/0664508001569021050-62680.jpg avatar
  • MC1371
  • Comments:

Independence, Missouri Caves

Just did them yesterday. Tight!!!

Slow and steady is the game. Nobody acts impatient in there that I could tell.

Spare Parts And Tools You Should Carry In Your Truck

Brett, Lots of good suggestions here. But as you're setting up your next article try and break down by.

Shop Issued. Personal purchase.

Only mentioning because a few in here are in my book must haves, but you'll have to buy (hammer, vice grips, tape, zips)

My original list was items you can usually get from the shop free and good items to have onboard.

TIA

Spare Parts And Tools You Should Carry In Your Truck

Not sure I've seen this one covered before. Recently helped out a guy who had just upgraded with setting up/flushing out his Qualcomm and I remembered the case of OMG/Holy Schnikies I had and the stuff I wish I'd known to get before taking off on my first solo.

So, my list of things you should get off the shop before you roll. *Note, these are shop truck items and not personal gear.

Fuses

Spare turn bulbs

Wiper blades

Gladhand grommets

Wiper fluid

Oil

Load bars

Chains *Ask someone how to lay out and hang if they're still in the bag.

That's my short list. Most shops will make sure you have some but not all of these.

Side note, end of year coming up... Are all your permits and tags up to date?

OMGosh. Just Received Driver Of The Month Award!

wtf.gif

Just kidding! Congrats!

Living with your Adaptive Cruise Control

Dumb question...

When the system slaps on the Jake in response to a vehicle slowing in front of you.....

Do the brake lights come on?

***Asking for a friend

Good Cell Phone Companies to use OTR?

Another vote for Verizon. You don't want my bill though. Unlimited. Jetpack, Note and phone.

A dozen semis blown over --THIS is why you park it!

Wind isn't as big of an issue when your loaded heavy

But how strong is too strong even with a heavy load? 40k+ lbs

I pushed a load through on I25 last Feb that I probably should have pulled off for. I was at 45k in the box (Grain sacks so not top heavy). Sustained winds off of the Rockies were 30-40mph.

I've mentioned this before but there are two big indicators that will alert you that it's no longer safe. 1. Your trailer skirts start a sustained hum.. Look for a place to pull off 2. Your cab fairing starts moaning.. Pull off now!

If you have to plan your exits from underpasses because you know you're going to get rocked and knocked into the next lane when you catch the wind again is another good indication.

It is one of those things that there is no set formula for, just general rules of thumb.

Nobody can "Teach" you how to feel your truck. Not everyone is an instinctive driver, plenty are very safe technical drivers. And some are just steering wheel holders. (Put in gear and point without any awareness)

Cheating on logbook/e-logs

Short answer. Yes! You can make decent money running elogs. No you don't have to be "creative" beyond a few minor tips.

I run elogs, and I don't cheat. Year to date I'm over 50k gross pay.

Wintery fun.

Just had my first wakeup of the season last week.

Cruising along I90 Wis into MN about 8 am. (Standard Costco load so I'm at 78k and change) Dash temp was showing 34-35 Little on and off drizzle. No icing noted on mirrors. Noticed traffic slowing a bit so I ease off cause I was getting a bad feeling. Sure enough just a mile or two on started coming to the wrecks and spin outs. 120 miles, 8 4wheeler wrecks, 4 rigs in the ditch.

Those borderline temps are when things get weird. Watch the bridges and overpasses.

New Tesla electric truck

I like them from an engineering standpoint but still think they're ugly.

The range and weight limits are going to keep them limited to day cab work and probably California. *I can see certain states mandating their use.

Swifties: If you get a TEXT about trainee back pay from Swift

To echo G Town.

Not even worth the effort. It's a shakedown lawsuit.

At best the lawyers are looking for a quick settlement. 80% of that will go to the lawyers for fees and expenses. Actual driver payout might be $20

Swift speeding the trucks up!!

Do not let G-town and Brett per in your Cheerios!

Crank up the Thunderstruck, jump into the hammer lane!

*Well until that psycho O/O pulling a stink wagon comes flying up at warp 11, then we'll get to join the convoy of about 50% of the other fleets. :)

Overall, no big difference. But any extra pedal is appreciated when you need it.

Swift speeding the trucks up!!

I'm happy about it. I do a lot of running in the Chicago area where there are a ton of limited intermodals. Overall the speed increase won't make a huge difference, but a little more flexibility in traffic will be appreciated.

Frequent Urination

Aquarium cleaner/vacume with 8' of tubing. 3/4 hole in floor.

***Kidding, but one of those ideas that came up while discussing this very issue at the academy last year.

Is it possible to stay out for weeks or months on end?

Completely possible. Some require at Least 3 weeks out OTR.

Most, don't care if you just want to run.

Think I spent a little over 2.5 mos out when I started. Wasn't until recently I started making regular stops.. And they're not at my address of record.

Pre-Trip, During Trip, and Post Trip Inspections (How do I motivate my drivers?)

I take it beatings/corporal punishment are not viable options..

I've always been against rewarding people for doing their job.

And rewarding those who find faults might be an invite for some to create faults.

The negative, putting Easter eggs on the trucks might lead to Driver vs Mgt attitudes.

I'd just keep beating the drum. Find examples of when pretrips weren't done that led to very negative outcomes..

Pictures work.

Verizon "Unlimited" data issue

Update.

***Prepaid*** Tethering and Hotspot are no longer allowed.

GoUnlimited and BeyondUnlimited plans are not affected (post pay accounts)

So switched plans. Going to cost me an extra $20 a month, but I'll take it.

Verizon "Unlimited" data issue

Going to have to try a store. The rep could have been wrong. The hotspot activates, just won't xmit internet data to any devices.

Possibly phone related... Hope not, love my S6, and don't feel like dropping $800 on an S8.

Verizon "Unlimited" data issue

This will affect those of you using Prepaid Verizon and using the Hotspot to connect other devices.

just finished speaking with a Verizon representative. They informed me that the $80 prepaid unlimited doesn't support mobile Hotspot. The only reason that it had supported it for the past 2 months was that Verizon was doing some kind of quality assurance "testing" on unlimited prepaid data... Or something to that affect. It was pretty much, to bad so sad, and hope you enjoyed it because it's gone...They offered to switch me to the $60 plan with 10gb of data because that plan offers Mobile Hotspot. They also included 1 extra gb of promotional data. But yeah basically they just tested it on us without informing us and took it away without informing us.

What swift macro for next load

Try sending Macro 30.

There goes Sarah, stepping up like an old pro!

Errol, you can retire now :)

*p.s. regarding the Mac 30, if you get a nothing avail. Keep trying every 60 min. And when you do see something pop, don't debate on it for too long.

In lean times those loads can pop up on multiple screens and are first come first serve.